Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

yeah that's kinda where i'm coming from though. I don't want to make it so like everyone needs to practice for the weekly race but just having a kind of 'test track' for car combos so you know you're driving that class of car to something resembling a competitive time, sort of like Barcelona winter testing in F1 might be a compromise. 

I mean it wouldn't hurt to just get Pimp to set a lap on a track we barely use in the mazda so we can compare...wouldn't make Mondays less mixed up I'd guess..

I'm really in love with GT4 class at the minute. It seems to be about the right level where I can be vaguely competitive online :)

I was holding my own in third place at Monza last night and looking good for a podium when I cocked up turn 1 on the final lap and got a 1s penalty that eventually cost me the place.

Marginal but I guess I did cut it.

Ended up in a drag race for 4th which I lost by 35 thousandths!

Oh well, fourth isn't bad :)

On the button mapping thing, you can plug a keyboard into the PS4 and use it. You can get a wired USB keypad (the numeric bit of a keyboard) and use that, which is obviously smaller. In some games, you can then map those buttons, and it’s small enough that you may be able to mount on your wheel stand.

I’m not 100% certain GT Sport allows mapping keyboard buttons though so if you have a USB Keyboard, plug that in and try first.

3 minutes ago, Freeman said:

On the button mapping thing, you can plug a keyboard into the PS4 and use it. You can get a wired USB keypad (the numeric bit of a keyboard) and use that, which is obviously smaller. In some games, you can then map those buttons, and it’s small enough that you may be able to mount on your wheel stand.

I’m not 100% certain GT Sport allows mapping keyboard buttons though so if you have a USB Keyboard, plug that in and try first.

I've just got the PS4 version of ACC so I've been meaning to try a USB keyboard anyway. Will try it in GTS tonight as well and report back.

Just now, beenabadbunny said:

I've just got the PS4 version of ACC

Be curious to see what you think of it. I booted it up twice. Hopefully it's been patched by now but it played like a shoddy 360 game when I tried it on launch. Ran straight back to GT!

Just now, mexos said:

Be curious to see what you think of it. I booted it up twice. Hopefully it's been patched by now but it played like a shoddy 360 game when I tried it on launch. Ran straight back to GT!

I wouldn’t have bought it after the early feedback but my girlfriend surprised me with it as a present. Looking at the website I think it’s had a fair few updates since launch.

Still not as slick as GTS and definitely runs slower but it’s certainly playable. I’m crap at it though obviously :lol:

I really like it on PC although I’m still faffing around with settings etc. The cars feel considerably heavier and more prone to understeer compared to GTS, which has taken a lot of adjustment. The braking points are fairly similar though, so that helps.

I think the more simmy it gets, the less able I am to cope. I'm still improving (gradually) in the fairly forgiving world of GT Sport and I'm hoping that the skills will eventually transfer across into the more realistic programs.

Like when I asked in this thread "what's missing from my skill set that will help me go faster" and Varnsen replied "Learn trail braking. This will help you on all circuits, in any car, on every simulator." And sure enough it has!

I expect at some stage in the next year or two I'll buy a monster PC and set up a more permanent racing rig with VR and stuff. And of course, hopefully GT7 for PS5 will support online lobby racing in VR. I sideswiped someone on Monday (forget who, sorry) and I absolutely wouldn't have done it in VR because I'd have known where he was.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I noticed I had almost exactly the required amount left in my PSN wallet, so gave it a go at the weekend.  Seems ok to me, though the lower framerate is a bit of an issue.  I spent some time lapping Brands Hatch, and particularly like the corner-by-corner feedback you get ("too aggressive" "too much steering", etc).  Had one race against AI and got soundly beaten into last place... but it was quite fun, and the day / night transition was particularly pretty.

What is it about Gran Turismo versus nearly every other game that makes GT just look so much better though?  The other cars in ACC look like they're not really connected to the road (you can see it in the PC videos over in the ACC thread too).  The ACC sim itself might be more realistic but something like bunny's video up there just looks *real*.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

I'm really in love with GT4 class at the minute. It seems to be about the right level where I can be vaguely competitive online :)

Sounds like we should do another Gr. 4 class endurance race next Monday then :)

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Having a good look at the features you actually need while racing should work too. I've got everything I need mapped to the buttons on my wheel (same number of buttons as a pad).

For instance, I just have the combo 'flash / high beam' mapped (to L2) which works two features. Changing brake/TC/fuel is mapped to the d-pad.

That said, I have the handbrake mapped to the actual handbrake so that does save me one button!

55 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I think the more simmy it gets, the less able I am to cope. I'm still improving (gradually) in the fairly forgiving world of GT Sport and I'm hoping that the skills will eventually transfer across into the more realistic programs.

Like when I asked in this thread "what's missing from my skill set that will help me go faster" and Varnsen replied "Learn trail braking. This will help you on all circuits, in any car, on every simulator." And sure enough it has!

I expect at some stage in the next year or two I'll buy a monster PC and set up a more permanent racing rig with VR and stuff. And of course, hopefully GT7 for PS5 will support online lobby racing in VR. I sideswiped someone on Monday (forget who, sorry) and I absolutely wouldn't have done it in VR because I'd have known where he was.

You're doing a great job, looking at the improvements made in just a couple of months, so kudos to that :)

If anything, a little bit of iRacing and mostly Assetto Corsa helped me to boost skills which translated very well in GT Sport. As said here before: earlier on, I couldn't even hold drifts properly in this game.

Also, regarding VR: don't expect too much of it, as in the end it's still a bit of a novelty and the lower resolution can actually make it harder to spot reference points.

If you're planning to make to jump to pc and have the space (and money), consider investing in a three screen-up like all the 'actual pro's' do.

3 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

What is it about Gran Turismo versus nearly every other game that makes GT just look so much better though?  The other cars in ACC look like they're not really connected to the road (you can see it in the PC videos over in the ACC thread too).  The ACC sim itself might be more realistic but something like bunny's video up there just looks *real*.

Disregarding the pesky online lobby bugs here, I'd say the key to GT getting it so right is polish in terms of the overall driving experience. Even though it's not the most realistic racing game in terms of physics, GT is just the absolute best at making you feel you are driving a proper race car.

12 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Also, regarding VR: don't expect too much of it, as in the end it's still a bit of a novelty and the lower resolution can actually make it harder to spot reference points.

If you're planning to make to jump to pc and have the space (and money), consider investing in a three screen-up like all the 'actual pro's' do.

You're probably not wrong about the novelty but I've definitely found I'm quicker in hot laps in PSVR than on the TV. Hard to say what difference it'll make in an actual race, since we can't do that yet in Gran Turismo, but just being able to glance at the mirrors / out the side windows is bound to make a difference at close quarters.

Maybe head tracking would help. I think some of the guys in the Sim Racing thread have that kind of thing set up on their PC rigs. Again it's another wishlist feature for GT.

I don't think I'd be allowed three monitors :lol:

12 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

You're doing a great job, looking at the improvements made in just a couple of months, so kudos to that

Thank you :) And also to everyone else who's given advice on where I can improve, and been patient with my mistakes on Mondays :)

There's so many things to remember that all have to come together. Like last night I happened to think back to one specific item that you mentioned when you gave me that virtual driving lesson at Brands Hatch, about letting the car roll further through the corner before getting on the gas. I decided that would be my learning point for the evening. Just from focussing on that one detail, I saved 1.5s a lap at Catalonia!

31 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Maybe head tracking would help. I think some of the guys in the Sim Racing thread have that kind of thing set up on their PC rigs. Again it's another wishlist feature for GT.

Well interestingly, Gran Turismo 5 actually did feature head tracking. Never really tried it myself I think.

1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Sounds like we should do another Gr. 4 class endurance race next Monday then :)

We've not done Brands endurance yet have we? Drives nicely in a GR4 :eyebrows:

3 minutes ago, mexos said:

We've not done Brands endurance yet have we? Drives nicely in a GR4 :eyebrows:

We've done Brands quite often recently I reckon.

Some other suggestions:

- Laguna Seca

- Sardegna - Road Track - A

- Goodwood

- Blue Moon Bay Speedway - Infield A

3 hours ago, Freeman said:

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I've just got the PS4 version of ACC so I've been meaning to try a USB keyboard anyway. Will try it in GTS tonight as well and report back.

Thinking about it some more, I can't see that it'll work. GT doesn't give you a list of commands and say "what button do you want to use" - instead it shows you all the buttons on your wheel, and you pick the command from a dropdown.

2 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Some other suggestions:

- Laguna Seca

- Goodwood

I've been meaning to suggest Laguna Seca :) (with strict track limits :lol:)

47 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Thinking about it some more, I can't see that it'll work. GT doesn't give you a list of commands and say "what button do you want to use" - instead it shows you all the buttons on your wheel, and you pick the command from a dropdown.

Yes, I think you’re right, as I couldn’t map umm, kers/ boost / push to pass to my unused clutch which I thought would work quite well...

Also to add to our growing wish list of GT7 additions... data via UDP for a dashboard app would be amazing!

Interesting to hear you’re thinking of going PC, I’m debating the same thing at the moment, going PC as my main gaming machine instead of a Series X with a focus on racing and VR. I’d most probably stick with TV / playseat challenge / sofa set up as my games room is  set up as a movie room at the moment anyway, rather than a full sim set up. Cost is quite off putting, but then not buying a series x makes a dent I guess.

2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Some other suggestions:

- Laguna Seca

- Goodwood

LMP1 endurance race around Goodwood :lol:

5 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I’m down for trying Blue Moon infield, but would definitely need to know in advance, because I don’t think I’ve ever tried it. 

Yeah same here. Never touched it. Don't mind trying it but yeah I'd like to get to know the layout first before we race it.

21 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Probably no great surprise but I tried the USB keyboard last night and it didn't work in GT Sport.

Slightly more surprising is that it also isn't supported in PS4 ACC, but that's another thread.

Nice session in the dailies last night.  Spent some time racing in Race A and had some really good races, despite the obligatory first corner mishaps.  The best one was where I started 6th, jumped a few people off the line (TC ftw), but then got punted into the pole sitter at the first corner.  He got reset, and I ended up in the kitty litter on the right hand side after the chicane, so we rejoined more or less together, at the back of the field.  We made our way through the pack and finished side-by-side after I made a last lap move around the outside of Parabolica, for 2nd and 3rd place.  The other guy had spotted that the first lap incident wasn't my fault, and raced amazingly cleanly all the way round.  Pretty cool.

Worst one was where a guy went straight on at T1, and got reset inside my RCZ.  He was unghosted for a split second and the game obviously saw that as me ramming him and gave me a 4s penalty... bah.  This is what photo mode made of it, hiding the RCZ that was in me, but doing some weird motion blur thing...)  Cool, but not worth the penalty!

8296281429402223640_0.jpg

Oh and the Tokyo circuit in the Gr.2s (Race C) is amazing after we did it in the Fugu things on Monday night.  So much grip!!

I have not played in over a week. Need to get more practice in. 

What's the plan for Monday? Need to know in advance in case we are racing million pound cars and need to grind for cash.