Jump to content

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK


Recommended Posts

I hated Bathurst until we did a 60-minute Monday night race there a few weeks ago and suddenly something just clicked. I love it now.

 

It's a shame you're not free on Monday nights. I used to have to miss it because I teach music on a Monday, but since Covid the lessons are cancelled so I've been taking the opportunity to race almost every week.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what you mean, when you nail the tricky middle section it really is a great rush. Must of improved my time by 15 seconds over the week just grinding at it, taking more risks.

 

As soon as work calms down and I’m free, I will join you guys for sure.

 

Have some great races this eve guys and thanks for the info again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrEPotato said:

Thanks chaps, my psn ID is the same as my username here, no way as fast as some of you but good to get a yard stick to where I am at and to keep pushing and stealing your ghosts for speed tips.


Request sent (I’m Corranga) Always good to have some more competition.


 

 

I only played on Monday after the race last week so didn’t try everything. I planned to play a lot, had the week off work aiming to chill out, but with my daughter returning to school, I of course have a cold and didn’t have the energy to sit and drive. I played a bit this afternoon and am in foot tonight, might mute myself if I’m coughing a lot and I’m a little off my game judging by this afternoon

 

/realracingdriverexcuses 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good fun last night everyone, thanks :)

 

I had a couple of horrible moments that pretty much ended my races. In one of the slidey races (I forget if it was the MX5 or the Datsun) I did that thing where you clip a wall with your front corner, and the whole car sticks to the wall and rotates you around. I just couldn't get it freed and lost about 30 seconds.

 

Then in the Super Formula race (where I was already slow - I was lapping at 1:35 when the quick guys were on 1:30) I spun off unforced and again, just couldn't get the car facing in the right direction again. Seemed like no matter how gently I put the gas in, I couldn't get the car to move... then it all came on at once and I swapped ends again. This happened twice at separate points in the race, and again I lost about 30 seconds each time. That's no-one's fault but mine, obviously, but it's super frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have literally no idea how to drive the Datsun. Damn it looks good but it's hateful to drive when you don't know how/have the talent!

 

It understeers like a pig. So I try and get the back end out to slide it but it won't - or it goes too much too quick and spins. What am I missing?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big steering inputs very early, I think. Really throw the front end in, then steer it through the bend with the throttle. Hard to do well, satisfying when you start to get it, shame it only started to come together on the penultimate lap (as I think @Varnsen said during the race).

 

I feel like that car would be great fun at Big Willow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that is the absolute opposite of how I like to drive. I did try it but car said nope.

 

I need to find a way to shorten the turning radius on my T300. GT seems to not let you. I'm not one for huge steering wheel movements. 90 degrees is as far as I like to go (unless it's a hairpin)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you can adjust it by holding the Mode button and doing something (D-pad up and down maybe?) but GTS will overwrite it with its own default anyway. To be fair, that's different in different cars so it's a design decision, not just like PD hasn't thought about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mazda, I like driving but am not quick at all.
Sorry to Simon for the qualifying incident, though you took pole so it probably wasn’t so bad. He announced he was coming up, I fumbled around for the mute button on my headset and chucked the car off the track in a completely unpredictable way!
 

Loved the Datsun, it just clicked for me, probably my years of playing arcade racers and it benefited from hamfisted controls, unlike the  normal smooth operation needed for GT. Brake lots, dive off the brake to initiate slide, power through..

I qualified third and finished 5th so I was doing something right, possibly benefiting from people not knowing the track though (I certainly didn’t!)

 

I think Bart asked me if I’d overpowered it in tuning on the first lap as I shot away from him on the run down to the hairpin despite us being side by side before that. I wasn’t (I’m sure Joe limits it anyway, and someone else, Junker perhaps? Did the same to me 2 laps later) just getting on the power super early.

 

Monza, rand put me last on the grid, but I had a decent start and avoided contact (didn’t even realise we were running damage I took none all race) finished 9th after a couple of mistakes lost me a couple of positions. I started on the medium and possibly could have made it all the way, but put the soft on after a spin. Tyres were probably ok though as I did my best lap just before that.

I think 1 stop on softs was optimum for me, I didn’t seem to be wearing them too badly, especially as time lost in the pits seemed to be minimal.

 

The straight at Monza is great for blowing your nose!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a weird glitch I haven’t seen before during quali for the Tokyo race when my car stopped being able to turn right - I had to reload the lobby and just managed to get back in before the race started. Never seen a glitch start when I’ve already been on track for a while. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 excellent races last night - really good fun.  I particularly like the Kyoto track so was punching above my weight for that race and had some pretty hairy 3 / 4 wide moments into the sweeping turns.  I love that we can go side by side through those turns without anyone getting shoved into the wall... mostly :) 

 

Tokyo was cool - only driven that car once before (in a daily at one of the other Tokyo tracks, I think?).  Brake early, throw the nose in and try not to brush the wall on the way out.  And brake last week (as someone mentioned) for the hairpin.  Was fairly sure @Junker was going to get me out of said hairpin at least twice.

 

Monza was epic.  I got thrown onto pole position by the random grid, kept it together for a lap or so but chucked it down the escape road at the second chicane on lap 2 or 3 (completely my fault - lost sight of my braking point - but managed to swerve around whoever it was in front of me so it could have been worse).  Restarted in 5th or 6th, and started an almost all-race battle with @McSpeed.  I thought my soft tyres were holding up pretty well so went a lap longer than everybody else, and came out of the pits about 2 seconds behind Joe.  His medium tyres weren't quite as quick as my softs, so I gained about half a second a lap and eventually got him at the first chicane as he outbraked himself (I think?) and struggled for traction as he came back onto the track.  (Not sure Joe, but I think I may have nudged you as you were sliding around in front of me - sorry if so :()

 

I was pushing stupidly hard and was sweating like a pig at the end.  I put this picture in the PS chat, but here's me trying to use every inch of track (and a bit more) to keep on his tail:

 

7142780481694629912_0.jpg

 

(What are the red and green lights?  Something to do with the overtake button?  I should probably map a button to that some time!)

 

Roll on next Monday!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's the overtake button. It's not electric in Super Formula, just boosts the fuel flow rate (which is why it doesn't recharge).

 

Green light on the hoop means boost is available, red light means the driver has less than 20% boost left.

 

Article about it here:

 

https://us.motorsport.com/super-formula/news/ots-overtake-system-fantastic-suzuka/4387685/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-12

 

Apparently it used to be more like FE's Attack Mode, where you had five activations and each time you pressed it you got 20 seconds of boost. But on the current car (which is the one in GTS) it's been changed to what we have in the game. You can deploy it whenever you like, for a minimum of one second per activation, up to 100 seconds total.

 

I think we usually get 60 seconds per race, instead of 100 seconds like in the real thing. I don't know if it can be set by the host, scaled to race length etc.  

 

GT Sport doesn't differentiate between DRS, (K)ERS, 'overtake', 'push-to-pass' or other variations on the same thing - so you only have to bind up one button. I use R2 (right thumb on a Thrustmaster wheel).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I had a couple of horrible moments that pretty much ended my races. In one of the slidey races (I forget if it was the MX5 or the Datsun) I did that thing where you clip a wall with your front corner, and the whole car sticks to the wall and rotates you around. I just couldn't get it freed and lost about 30 seconds.

 

Then in the Super Formula race (where I was already slow - I was lapping at 1:35 when the quick guys were on 1:30) I spun off unforced and again, just couldn't get the car facing in the right direction again. Seemed like no matter how gently I put the gas in, I couldn't get the car to move... then it all came on at once and I swapped ends again. This happened twice at separate points in the race, and again I lost about 30 seconds each time. That's no-one's fault but mine, obviously, but it's super frustrating.

 

We usually have the 'Reset to track' feature switched on for our lobbies. It's rather fickle, but when you're out in the gravel/grass or facing the wrong way against a wall, it will put you back on the track usually - providing you let go of the throttle, I think.

 

4 hours ago, mexos said:

I have literally no idea how to drive the Datsun. Damn it looks good but it's hateful to drive when you don't know how/have the talent!

 

It understeers like a pig. So I try and get the back end out to slide it but it won't - or it goes too much too quick and spins. What am I missing?!

 

It's an old school car for sure, and coupled with the engine upgrade to 374 BHP quite the hot rod even.

 

To battle the understeer, brake very early, get the nose turned in soon and power through. It sounds easy but I know it isn't. Still I think it's a satisfying drive, though definitely not up there with the Mazda, Toyota and Beemer.

 

3 hours ago, Freeman said:

Loved the Datsun, it just clicked for me, probably my years of playing arcade racers and it benefited from hamfisted controls, unlike the  normal smooth operation needed for GT. Brake lots, dive off the brake to initiate slide, power through..

I qualified third and finished 5th so I was doing something right, possibly benefiting from people not knowing the track though (I certainly didn’t!)

 

I think Bart asked me if I’d overpowered it in tuning on the first lap as I shot away from him on the run down to the hairpin despite us being side by side before that. I wasn’t (I’m sure Joe limits it anyway, and someone else, Junker perhaps? Did the same to me 2 laps later) just getting on the power super early.

 

On single-make cup races I generally always lock the maximum power and minimum weight, so you couldn't have been cheating :) Guess @TheRallyBart just couldn't handle your heat!

 

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Monza was epic.  I got thrown onto pole position by the random grid, kept it together for a lap or so but chucked it down the escape road at the second chicane on lap 2 or 3 (completely my fault - lost sight of my braking point - but managed to swerve around whoever it was in front of me so it could have been worse).  Restarted in 5th or 6th, and started an almost all-race battle with @McSpeed.  I thought my soft tyres were holding up pretty well so went a lap longer than everybody else, and came out of the pits about 2 seconds behind Joe.  His medium tyres weren't quite as quick as my softs, so I gained about half a second a lap and eventually got him at the first chicane as he outbraked himself (I think?) and struggled for traction as he came back onto the track.  (Not sure Joe, but I think I may have nudged you as you were sliding around in front of me - sorry if so :()

 

I was pushing stupidly hard and was sweating like a pig at the end.  I put this picture in the PS chat, but here's me trying to use every inch of track (and a bit more) to keep on his tail:

 

7142780481694629912_0.jpg

 

Yeah, my car was eating through its Mediums at an alarming rate as I had to stop around the same time as the people on Softs. Should have known given how @mexos once absolutely dominated a Monza endurance race on qualifying pace with nothing but Softs...

 

You didn't touch me I think, I just lost it in the first chicane while we were about to lap @beenabadbunny (who was sliding a bit himself). Saying you don't even have the boost button mapped is adding a bit of insult to injury!

 

Absolutely love that shot though :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Freeman said:

The Mazda, I like driving but am not quick at all.
Sorry to Simon for the qualifying incident, though you took pole so it probably wasn’t so bad. He announced he was coming up, I fumbled around for the mute button on my headset and chucked the car off the track in a completely unpredictable way!
 

Loved the Datsun, it just clicked for me, probably my years of playing arcade racers and it benefited from hamfisted controls, unlike the  normal smooth operation needed for GT. Brake lots, dive off the brake to initiate slide, power through..

I qualified third and finished 5th so I was doing something right, possibly benefiting from people not knowing the track though (I certainly didn’t!)

 

I think Bart asked me if I’d overpowered it in tuning on the first lap as I shot away from him on the run down to the hairpin despite us being side by side before that. I wasn’t (I’m sure Joe limits it anyway, and someone else, Junker perhaps? Did the same to me 2 laps later) just getting on the power super early.

 

Monza, rand put me last on the grid, but I had a decent start and avoided contact (didn’t even realise we were running damage I took none all race) finished 9th after a couple of mistakes lost me a couple of positions. I started on the medium and possibly could have made it all the way, but put the soft on after a spin. Tyres were probably ok though as I did my best lap just before that.

I think 1 stop on softs was optimum for me, I didn’t seem to be wearing them too badly, especially as time lost in the pits seemed to be minimal.

 

The straight at Monza is great for blowing your nose!

 

It wasn't me asking about the tuning. Don't know who it was. I was mainly complaining about the understeer. But in the end I figured it out and could follow pim pretty ok.

 

3 hours ago, mexos said:

 

I had a nice cup of tea while racing Bart! 

 

Absolutely loved the racing with you. We kept each other alert throughout the entire race. You were a lot faster through the lesmos but I got back time through ascari and the second chicane after the start. In the last lap, I screwed up and missed my braking point into the second chicane. But loved our rallying line in the second to last lap after Lesmo 1.

 

But the most fun I had was in the Mazda race. The battle for third was absolutely amazing with @Varnsen, @Junker and Pim, we were with at least 4 into a lot of the corners. Wonder if @McSpeed has a picture of his rear view mirror with the 4/5 cars chasing him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

Saying you don't even have the boost button mapped is adding a bit of insult to injury!

Yeah - sorry about that (a little bit, honest).  I did see the overtake graphic in my hud, but I was fairly sure I didn't have a button on the wheel mapped (I didn't - I checked later) and was also fairly sure one of the buttons was mapped to handbrake, so didn't feel like trying my luck :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, TheRallyBart said:

 

It wasn't me asking about the tuning. Don't know who it was. I was mainly complaining about the understeer. But in the end I figured it out and could follow pim pretty ok.


Ah sorry, I’m not so good with names / voice :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TheRallyBart said:

But the most fun I had was in the Mazda race. The battle for third was absolutely amazing with @Varnsen, @Junker and Pim, we were with at least 4 into a lot of the corners. Wonder if @McSpeed has a picture of his rear view mirror with the 4/5 cars chasing him.

 

8143146957711376400_0.thumb.jpg.b249d5541f3e9e3af4781fe9fa6d785b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McSpeed said:

Saying you don't even have the boost button mapped is adding a bit of insult to injury!

 

Ah I almost forgot!

 

On that note the boost for me was more trouble than it's worth. On my T300 I had it mapped to X. A few times coming out the first chicane I went to push it and ended up hitting the option key! So auto drive kicks in, I scream inside while fiddling to switch it off quickly.

 

I did that three times!!! Lost bags of time and then my composure is all over the place trying to recover. :facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mexos said:

Ah I almost forgot!

 

On that note the boost for me was more trouble than it's worth. On my T300 I had it mapped to X. A few times coming out the first chicane I went to push it and ended up hitting the option key! So auto drive kicks in, I scream inside while fiddling to switch it off quickly.

 

I did that three times!!! Lost bags of time and then my composure is all over the place trying to recover. :facepalm:

 

I'd recommend mapping it to a button near either of your thumbs. I've got it set to R2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

 

I'd recommend mapping it to a button near either of your thumbs. I've got it set to R2.


I’d love to but there is only the one button on either side and I need them for adjusting the brake balance. I need a new set up with more buttons!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuine question - how much do you change the brake balance throughout a given lap?

 

I know that real racing drivers do adjust it on the fly when approaching specific corners. I tend to just use the D-pad to set it, find where I like it in each car and leave it there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Genuine question - how much do you change the brake balance throughout a given lap?

 

I know that real racing drivers do adjust it on the fly when approaching specific corners. I tend to just use the D-pad to set it, find where I like it in each car and leave it there.

Same

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Genuine question - how much do you change the brake balance throughout a given lap?

 

I know that real racing drivers do adjust it on the fly when approaching specific corners. I tend to just use the D-pad to set it, find where I like it in each car and leave it there.

 

Depends on the car and circuit. At Monza in the Super Formulas only once a lap into the parabolica. (Went to the rear, the rest of the lap was 2 clicks to the front)

 

Some tracks and tracks I change it almost every corner. Is it a corner where you need to blend the brakes or a hard stop? I find it changes massively per car now. It used to be more clear cut - forward for a hard stop, like the first chicane in Monza, rear for something like the esses in Suzuka. These days not so much. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

 

I'd recommend mapping it to a button near either of your thumbs. I've got it set to R2.

Whatever you map it to, please just try and remember. Otherwise like me you’ll be fumbling around daring yourself to press random buttons on the run down to Parabolica and hoping it’s not handbrake or something:facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Junker said:

Whatever you map it to, please just try and remember. Otherwise like me you’ll be fumbling around daring yourself to press random buttons on the run down to Parabolica and hoping it’s not handbrake or something:facepalm:

 

High five fellow button fumbler!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yeah, enjoyed all three races but Mazda race was brilliant. Shame McSpeed decided to be consistent rather than mixing the scrum behind him. 

 

Actually, that's something I've been thinking about. Might be good to have like a non daily race time trial type thing that runs longer than a week, just some benchmark lap times in our most used cars to try and gain consistency. Like a benchmark set of lap times for the Mazda Roadster round I dunno Tskuba or something. 

 

I get the concern it could mean the gap widening but I feel like if we're all at least consistent or have a target time from just one track/car combo so you'd still need to learn the weekly track via practice, could mean more close racing like we had on Monday. Thoughts? Bit of a ramble I know...

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Varnsen not exactly what you’re on about, but I always like knowing a track in advance so I have the option of practicing it. If I know a track/car I can be reasonably consistent, otherwise I’m miles off because I learn braking points pretty slowly. Whenever we do a track I’m less familiar with, and any of those N-class cars with wildly variable braking distances, I have no chance! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.