Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Some of the things I love about this game and our group...

Everyone is getting better and the field is getting tighter.

Some clearly click more or less with different cars so the order is pretty jumbled a lot of the time. Pimp and Noble are the exceptions to this mind so *WAVES ANGRU FIST at them* for being good at everything. :P

I really, really like the Monday Night Racing Club, too :) It's literally something that helps me get out of bed in the mornings and that I look forward to from every Tuesday on. The friendly motorsports banter in our PS Messages is very nice, too.

Also, Pim and Jon are definitely the quickest generally speaking, but don't dismiss @TheRallyBart and @Batmobile for being able to attack them frequently - not to mention the likes of @Varnsen@GwiDan even and yourself (and me) on our day!

4 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

I really, really like the Monday Night Racing Club, too :) It's literally something that helps me get out of bed in the mornings and that I look forward too from every Tuesday on. The friendly motorsports banter in our PS Messages is very nice, too.

Also, Pim and Jon are definitely the quickest generally speaking, but don't dismiss @TheRallyBart and @Batmobile for being able to attack them frequently - not to mention the likes of @Varnsen@GwiDan even and yourself (and me) on our day!

I'd say they are infuriatingly consistent. :sherlock:

But that doesn't mean the rest of us can't beat them! A quick look at our grids and I'd say at least 3/4 of us could win any given race and the the 1/4 that maybe isn't there quite yet is getting rapidly faster. Pretty damn cool. You don't get that in F1.

25 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

I really, really like the Monday Night Racing Club, too :) It's literally something that helps me get out of bed in the mornings and that I look forward too from every Tuesday on. The friendly motorsports banter in our PS Messages is very nice, too.

I was running for a time with those names around me and was getting all excited as my speed wasn't much different but then realised they were all mapped to lean. I had a blast,

@Rymy first race was an endurance round spa with a crappy gr3 Ferrari on a wheel I had only used a few times. It was a long race as I was losing it every lap.

There was a little rubbing from me in the last race, I'll need to check and see if I was over ambitious and send the appropriate apologies should they be needed. 

Cheers again @McSpeed

8 minutes ago, davadvice1 said:

I was running for a time with those names around me and was getting all excited as my speed wasn't much different but then realised they were all mapped to lean. I had a blast

This was me in the BMW at Tsukaba too.  I was racing with Noble for 2 or 3 laps I think, and actually passed him, and then passed others too.

Sure there were probably on fuel map 5, but I was on 2, so erm, I'm taking it :lol:

I actually raced my way up to within half a second of the lead too, then needed fuel, and ended up running slow and lean for the 3rd and last set of tyres, but it was fun whilst it lasted :D

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

This was me in the BMW at Tsukaba too.  I was racing with Noble for 2 or 3 laps I think, and actually passed him, and then passed others too.

Sure there were probably on fuel map 5, but I was on 2, so erm, I'm taking it :lol:

I actually raced my way up to within half a second of the lead too, then needed fuel, and ended up running slow and lean for the 3rd and last set of tyres, but it was fun whilst it lasted :D

Yeah, I owe you an apology for a shunt at the second to last bend I think I had been rearended at the 4th and I think my brakes took a hit (that's my excuse anyway :)) .  I have to say it was good racing. I was actually 2nd for a time too 

4 hours ago, McSpeed said:

I really, really like the Monday Night Racing Club, too :) It's literally something that helps me get out of bed in the mornings and that I look forward to from every Tuesday on. The friendly motorsports banter in our PS Messages is very nice, too.

I’m overwhelmed to be named anywhere near that list to be honest :blush:

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I’m overwhelmed to be named anywhere near that list to be honest :blush:

Well you did win that Gr. 3 race around Le Mans not too long ago. Will never forget your Viper crossing the line ahead of Mexos and Noble squabbling!

23 hours ago, Ry said:

I'm thinking of using a pad next time but then again I need to get used to the wheel.

First and foremost, don't do it. As pretty much the only player on monday night using a pad, I'm starting to think that at a certain level, it's incompatible with 12 plus wheel users.

Secondly, monday night was a complete disaster. I'm not sure at what point I switched my mic off so I don't know what was heard. Basically after putting in a decent laptime in the first BMW race, the dogs decided to have a fight. It transpires I'm the only person in our household capable of resolving such an incident. Now monday night racing is kind of ringfenced, it's pretty much the only thing I do where I'm not available for the time I'm doing it. If the phone rings, the doorbell goes, there's some minor 'drop everything and attend this now!' scenario you are shit out of luck as I'm busy. I don't think that's too much to ask for. So having been interupted (and that happens alot generally)I was a tiny bit fucked off...

Having then driven most if not all the races like a one legged cat trying to bury turds on a frozen pond, I should have bailed after the first race to avoid compounding the issue. The issue is also that I'm not driving to the standard I want to be at, and that definately means switching to a wheel. So I need to call a timeout on monday nights. I'll dip into the time trials, but monday nights is out for the time being till I get my shit together. The inner peace gained from racing both online and in the real world is so far away at the moment, that it seems fairly pointless to even try and attain it.

I'm off to lock myself in the garage :) that seems to work.

Noooo! Hope it’s not long.

We need to get you on that wheel. I am pretty damn convinced that if you get the laps in you’ll be faster than with the pad within a month, two tops. You know all the braking points and turn in points already and that’s half the battle.

Race A (Suzuka in an E9x M3) is hard work this week. Compared to the glorious tuned E30 M3 that we raced on Monday, this thing is dreadful. Sure, it goes, but it doesn't want to stop or turn.

I did enough laps to get under my Kudosprime target and left it at that.

Speaking of Kudosprime, in case @Ry or any other relative newcomers to the game aren't aware, it's a third-party stat-tracking site that reads the data from the Gran Turismo servers and displays it all on the web in various formats.

What I mostly use it for is what I was referring to in my post above - it gives you a personalised weekly 'Target Times' page for the Daily Race qualifying. It's based on your past performance so as you get better, the margin gradually gets narrower.

So for example, this week my target times are:

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.17f3394819e1ff50fb4247c155972b61.jpg

and here are the times I set last night:

IMG_0559.thumb.JPG.8513ade56f88d4b24205b333f4698408.JPG

(for the record the RBR time was in a Viper and the Willow Springs time was in a TT).

It's almost certain that my target times will get stricter during the week, because it's calculated on a margin against the no.1 time in the European region. I'm not very quick, so my target is to get within 109% of the regional leader. A quicker driver like @McSpeed needs to get within 106%, and so on.

Since discovering it, I've been aiming to beat the Kudosprime targets every week. It gives me a realistic personal target to aim for so I'm always gradually improving (except for that one week recently when my KP rating went down because someone posted some inhuman Nordschleife times and I just couldn't get within 109%).

4 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Since discovering it, I've been aiming to beat the Kudosprime targets every week. It gives me a realistic personal target to aim for so I'm always gradually improving (except for that one week recently when my KP rating went down because someone posted some inhuman Nordschleife times and I just couldn't get within 109%).

I find these times really useful too.  Sometimes I'll go out for a race on an unfamiliar track and be fairly happy with my qualy time but Kudosprime will say I'm 5 seconds off my target.  It means I'm missing something on the track (braking unnecessarily, taking the wrong line etc etc) and just knowing I'm slower than I "should" be is motivation enough to try to find out what it is and usually you can find out what it is, either by looking at the top ghosts or by paying attention to where you're losing out in the races (or the various YouTube track guides, if you can stomach the presenting styles! :))

The Nordschleife targets were just stupid though - I was years off!

1. Go to https://www.kudosprime.com/

2. Click 'Gran Turismo Sport'

3. Click 'Players' button

4. Click the 'Playstation ID' field, input your PSN username and press Search

5. Select yourself from the search results

6. Look for your "K' Speed Score" near the top (with your delta from last week)

7. Click 'Times' to see a list of all your lap times

8. Click 'Click here to see your target times' to get your personalised targets

9. Bookmark the page so you don't have to do all that again

:)

Ah yeah I was doing that. Then I realised actually getting a "DR reset" could be rather fun, as you try to avoid the nutters in detention class and win races.

I'm perpetually in detention class...

My rating briefly went up to a career-high 1006 last week, and is already back down in the 200s after one race last night. I qualified 16th of 20 and finished 15th, which is apparently enough to bust my ass right back down the scale again. (edit: see my later post further down the page - with hindsight I think this was probably the same pit stop error).

The race itself (Race C - 15 laps of Big Willow in a Gr4 Audi TT) was great fun from start to finish. Constantly nose-to-tail, wheel-to-wheel all the way. I even got up into the points for a while, although I got hurt by poor pit strategy. Tried to make my starting tyres last a bit too long, and lost more time than I needed to. Next time I'll know to box earlier.

Gr4 racing seems to be very much my level at the moment. Granted, 15th isn't an impressive finishing position in and of itself, but constant action is so much more exciting than running around by myself :)

3 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I bookmark the page after step 5... and somewhat obsessively check it after every daily race to see how my DR & SR were affected... but that's my issue and I'm trying to wean myself off!

Steer clear (pun!) of Assetto Corsa Competizione then.. there are 7 individual driver rating metrics, some of which are updated corner by corner with live feedback as you drive :D

https://www.acc-wiki.info/wiki/Driver_Profile_and_Rating

I'm cross with this stupid game now.

I did what I thought was another respectable Gr4 race at Big Willow and finished 12th on the road out of 18 starters.

Then I picked up a ONE MINUTE penalty and ended up in 15th.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's because I didn't use Hard tyres. I did a one-stop with both stints on Medium and I guess that's not allowed?

The stipulation before the race just says "minimum tyre rating Racing Medium, maximum Racing Hard". I can't see where it says you must use the Hard. So I thought the strategy was basically a decision between a no-stop (if you can stretch out one set of H to the end) or one-stop (MM).

I guess next time I'll start on H and box for M at some point.

It's a shame because it was a good race all the way but getting a big penalty just sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

31 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

The only thing I can think of is perhaps it's because I didn't use Hard tyres. I did a one-stop with both stints on Medium and I guess that's not allowed?

Yep - spot on.  It's not obvious, but you have to use the hards.  You can do the whole race on one set if you're careful, but it does get a bit hairy towards the end with people with fresh mediums swarming around you.

11 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

What bit of UI info have I missed, there?

I think it's in other places as well (like in the race info screen before you join a lobby?), but it's here on the warm-up screen once you're in a session:

(screengrab from random YouTube stream...)

image.thumb.png.23391c1a6bc3de096b1771d746d3d961.png

Not exactly front and centre!

GT does so much right, but the UI sometimes isn’t the most logical. I hope they’ve learned and improved on it for 7. Seeing the map view coming back kind of worries me though. 

9 minutes ago, mexos said:

GT does so much right, but the UI sometimes isn’t the most logical. I hope they’ve learned and improved on it for 7. Seeing the map view coming back kind of worries me though. 

A mate of mine was actually responsible for the UX design on this game, which also involved a lot of AI. He did his best trying to incorporate several new elements and I do reckon GT Sport does a better job of the complete mess GT5 and 6 made of the UI.

That said, he also indicated how a lot of potential to get it right even more was lost just because of the conservative way a Japanese A-list games studio works.

Just now, McSpeed said:

A Dutch mate of mine was actually responsible for the UX design on this game, which also involved a lot of AI. He did his best trying to incorporate several new elements and I do reckon GT Sport does a better job of the complete mess GT5 and 6 made of the UI.

That said, he also indicated how a lot of potential to get it right even more was lost just because of the conservative way a Japanese A-list games studio works.

Don't get me wrong, on the whole the UX / UI is pretty good. I do that job for a living and I know how hard it is to do something on this scale. We are all heavy users mind and will have gripes light users won't really be bothered about!