Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

I've been driving a hybrid in the real wolrd now, the brakes don't work very well on that either so I should be a bit more at home....

I'll get the upgrades at some point.

What do you guys have for your wheel setting and force feedback out of curiosity?

New copy arrived so going to test it out later.

If you're planning on playing it this evening, best start it updating now!

I'm not at home so I can't check but from memory it's nowhere near maximum force. I'd leave everything on the defaults at first and see how you go, to be honest. GT Sport is much better optimised for use with a wheel than F1 (imo).

3 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

If you're planning on playing it this evening, best start it updating now!

I'm not at home so I can't check but from memory it's nowhere near maximum force. I'd leave everything on the defaults at first and see how you go, to be honest. GT Sport is much better optimised for use with a wheel than F1 (imo).

Cheers. It's updating now :)

8 minutes ago, Ry said:

Which beginner cars do you guys recommend?

Is it wise just to play through the cups right now? 

As suggested before, see below:

On 06/08/2020 at 11:44, McSpeed said:

Welcome to the Monday Night Racing Club!

The grind shouldn't be that big for you, doing some Driving School, Mission Challenge and Circuit Experience will net you a good number of cars and credits.

There's a relatively small list of cars and classes we often use, most of which are affordable.

Also, signing a manufacturer contract of choice in the game will get you free loaner Gr.4 and Gr.3 cars :)

We'll be happy to share some tips on shifting manual gears as you come on, of course.

1 hour ago, GwiDan said:

@marsh :eyebrows:

48 minutes ago, mexos said:

Pretty sure I know what that means. :lol: :sealclap:

:hmm:

So not only have I got to go faster, I'm going to have to do it with the wheel, in a gr1 car that has all the handling characteristics of a startled honey badger.

Bugger.

Bit of work for you to do at Suzuka mind :ph34r:

15 hours ago, Ry said:

Which beginner cars do you guys recommend?

Is it wise just to play through the cups right now? 

Are you starting from scratch? 

Read through the first post, there's lots of good stuff in there which was written aimed at someone starting out with the game a month or so ago, written by someone who stated out a month before that :D

Are you simply moving from pad to wheel, and already familiar with the game?

Do some of the existing cups, do the weekly qualifying, Gr.3 at Suzuka is challenging, and fun, decent range of cars etc.

Personally, I went with tracks I had familiarity with, there is a cup with real tracks, in Gr.3 cars, and the F1500-T cup, although the latter is perhaps a bit lively, I was keen!  Gr.4 is quite forgiving, but still fairly quick, so that's a good bet too.  I'd say try to avoid FF cars for practicing though, and get traction control turned down / off asap.

59 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I'd say try to avoid FF cars for practicing though

Is that because they're too easy to drive?

Legit question. All my best racing in last week's dailies was done in FF cars (the TT and the Mégane).

I never did the manufacturer thing. At first it was because of option paralysis - how would I know which manufacturer to choose? - and then I got loads of cars from just playing the game a lot, so there was less need to bother.

Personally if I were doing it now I'd go for Porsche because the GT3 and GT4 cars are both excellent to drive.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

Legit question. All my best racing in last week's dailies was done in FF cars (the TT and the Mégane).

Mainly, yes, but . When switching from a pad to a wheel, it's catching over steer that you will struggle with. Dealing with under steer is easy, and the results are equally easy to recover from, so risk / time lost is reduced.  You run wide and on to the grass vs. you're facing the wrong way in a barrier... Plus obviously over steer is more fun ;)

I think the aim is to learn to react and move the wheel quickly. 

Much like the conversation on hard brake pedals in race cars on Monday, and how in a race car, basically, a lot of the time (perhaps most?) you want maximum braking effect as early as possible when you engage the brakes to reduce braking distances - and how counter-intuitive it is to road car drivers who are really only interested in slowing the car down, beyond emergency situations - the speed that you need to move the wheel in catching a slide is counter-intuitive if are used to road driving, where the last thing you want to is fling the steering wheel around quickly...  Of course the next part is quick and smooth, balancing it with what the car is doing, so as to not unsettle it too much, and I think that's where the speed comes in.  Learning the limits - those with higher limits go faster...

Beyond that, the majority of cars you'll end up racing are RWD too I'd say, especially when you get to the trickier cars - the fast ones, that require faster reaction, and physical movements.

48 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I never did the manufacturer thing. At first it was because of option paralysis - how would I know which manufacturer to choose? - and then I got loads of cars from just playing the game a lot, so there was less need to bother.

Personally if I were doing it now I'd go for Porsche because the GT3 and GT4 cars are both excellent to drive.

I agree. The Porsche cars are both great to drive.

I believe you change manufacturer every year, and there is the option of a second change this year too I think because they added a new Mazda, making them an eligible manufacturer too.

Of course, I'm a Ferrari driver...

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

FF cars tend to understeer, which is easier to deal with than the back trying to swap ends on you, especially out of a corner.

On 11/08/2020 at 11:54, Ry said:

What do you guys have for your wheel setting and force feedback out of curiosity?

New copy arrived so going to test it out later.

I think I posted this in the racing wheel thread but Try 1 and 1 or 2 and 2. Seems fine to me

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

Just had a really nice session on the ‘official’ Gr.4 Brands Hatch TT, managed to knock nearly 1 second off my pad time. Loving the wheel :)

<_<

1 hour ago, Junker said:

The Mini race from Monday Night Race Club. I kind of messed the start so dropped back a bit, plenty of action in this one. 

The state of my mini. I really should wash it:D

Good race that, seemed to carry more speed through the first turn and then lose it all through the rest of the circuit. Impressive by my own standards.

21 minutes ago, marsh said:

The state of my mini. I really should wash it:D

Good race that, seemed to carry more speed through the first turn and then lose it all through the rest of the circuit. Impressive by my own standards.

Pad holding you back?:eyebrows: