Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Online racing for forumites and friends again tonight in the rllmuk GT Sport Monday Night Racing Club!

We'll start as per usual at 8PM UK time :) Bring your favourite Gr. 4 car for a 60 minute endurance race around Bathurst. (As well as some other nice racing action).

22 minutes ago, GT3Will said:

What is the plan for this evening? May as well use the forum as I joined!

^

Excellent races this week chaps.

Bathurst is a funny beast but actually I think it works well as an endurance track - if you can keep it together over the mountain you can overtake down the chase and through the kink, or between T1 and 2, you just have to keep it tidy in between. Less of an issue than in sprints where you absolutely have to overtake wherever you can.  I reckon I would’ve got 3rd if it had been another lap or two :) (but then I think Joe was catching me too, so who knows? :D)

Just too many mistakes from me on Race 2, which is upsetting as it’s a bit of a favourite track. Too much time time trialling round there; it certainly doesn’t teach you how to handle going into the hairpin 3 abreast!  @Jashin I was ghosted and serving a penalty when I span, and watching the replay if anything I’d have taken you out if I hadn’t been ghosted as my back stepped out after too much curb. Spent the rest of the race hunting down @Freeman and would’ve got him too were it not for yet another mistake at that tricky left hander...

Next time!...  (which will be in a couple of weeks for me since I’m off to make it rain in Cornwall for a bit)

Here’s that aforementioned 3-wide into the hairpin moment... we all made it through too!

9871E54E-7834-451C-8806-B506BF196B31.thumb.jpeg.2c2c136ce12402436612c7f878525382.jpeg

6 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Excellent races this week chaps.

Bathurst is a funny beast but actually I think it works well as an endurance track - if you can keep it together over the mountain you can overtake down the chase and through the kink, or between T1 and 2, you just have to keep it tidy in between. Less of an issue than in sprints where you absolutely have to overtake wherever you can.  I reckon I would’ve got 3rd if it had been another lap or two :) (but then I think Joe was catching me too, so who knows? :D)

Just too many mistakes from me on Race 2, which is upsetting as it’s a bit of a favourite track. Too much time time trialling round there; it certainly doesn’t teach you how to handle going into the hairpin 3 abreast!  @Jashin I was ghosted and serving a penalty when I span, and watching the replay if anything I’d have taken you out if I hadn’t been ghosted as my back stepped out after too much curb. Spent the rest of the race hunting down @Freeman and would’ve got him too were it not for yet another mistake at that tricky left hander...

Next time!...  (which will be in a couple of weeks for me since I’m off to make it rain in Cornwall for a bit)

Here’s that aforementioned 3-wide into the hairpin moment... we all made it through too!

9871E54E-7834-451C-8806-B506BF196B31.thumb.jpeg.2c2c136ce12402436612c7f878525382.jpeg

That’s a great shot, I was holding my breath round the outside there. Enjoy your holiday 

1 hour ago, Junker said:

I was holding my breath round the outside there.

I was more than a little surprised to see you there, to be honest - fortune favours the brave and all that :)

Daily Race B is Dragon Trail Seaside in trusty Gr4s... should be a decent showing for the TT.

I had an interesting night, I was settling in ok with Bathurst, not a track I particularly like, but I came out of it with some respect and as a time trial circuit I can see how it'd work.

My fastest lap in the race was a 2.16, which was 3 seconds off the fastest lap overall, but 2.5 seconds quicker than my qualifying lap, my strategy saw me finish with a lap extra fuel, and I'd pitted for 2 laps of fuel, abandoning a fuel saving strategy which I didn't think would work.  I think I spend the race on the wrong tyre as I started on the soft, and it lasted 7 laps quite happily, then moved onto (fuel limited) 10 on the medium which was a fair bit slower.  I finished with a 20+ second gap both in front and behind me.  I think I need to try more Gr.4 cars than the NSX and the TT.

Race 2, I genuinely had no recollection of the track at all, then spent practice lining up for a right turn instead of a left. 

I was punted on lap one, perhaps by Luis? on the way into that tricky right/left  Not sure, but it put me to the back, which to be honest was probably no bad thing as I had a couple of wrong direction moments through the race :lol:  As it's a track that properly rewards maintaining speed through the long sweeping bends due to the length of the following straight / flat out section, that didn't help.  I think I did a campaign race in a stupid fast McLaren Gr.X car, anyway, it was a really nice circuit and one I want to spend more time on now.

9 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Watching the time coming down over the last few laps was a bit hairy and probably lead to me making more mistakes than I should have.  I might try sticking a piece of paper over the times part of the screen and see if it helps me concentrate on driving the car!!

7 minutes ago, morcs said:

What circuit was Race 2?

Kyoto Driving Park - Yamagi, possibly the best fictional raceway in this game. It's got an amazing flow, super fast long corners in the first two sectors and rather challenging twisties in the latter two sectors. You really have to make the downforce work.

We'll do it more often :)

10 hours ago, fretnoise said:

I was more than a little surprised to see you there, to be honest - fortune favours the brave and all that :)

Daily Race B is Dragon Trail Seaside in trusty Gr4s... should be a decent showing for the TT.

Well I naively thought that but then @marsh started his subtle trolling about Race A. It’s Fuji, WITH the nadgery chicane, in Porsches on Sports tyres so I should really just ignore it but then obviously I can’t :angry:

3 minutes ago, Junker said:

Well I naively thought that but then @marsh started his subtle trolling about Race A. It’s Fuji, WITH the nadgery chicane, in Porsches on Sports tyres so I should really just ignore it but then obviously I can’t :angry:

Bet you piss it by the end of the week, I know I've got half a second in that lap. I would add that I was absolutely steaming after my internet dropped out at Bathurst, so it might have had a hand in that lap at Fuji and certainly my approach to the second race. Elbows out, three wide, bellend racing corvette? yeah why not! it wasn't just that but the race I had with gt3will too at the same circuit.

I was still pissy about Bathurst after driving 150 miles to my job this morning:quote:

I was really pleased with this race tonight at Dragon Trail.

Nothing objectively fancy (started 13th, finished 12th) but the reason it was exciting for me is that I had this guy Sylenzo breathing right down my neck for the whole race and I didn’t crack. He was huge in my mirrors all the way to the end but I kept him behind me.

Watching it back I realise just how much you can (and I do) abuse the chicane of death. I don’t think I took it clean even once in the four laps but didn’t get pinged for it. Sylenzo could probably be justifiably cross about that! 

Probably would have been a place or two higher if I hadn’t outbraked myself into the hairpin on lap 1 and put it in the wall :facepalm:

15 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Watching it back I realise just how much you can (and I do) abuse the chicane of death. I don’t think I took it clean even once in the four laps but didn’t get pinged for it. Sylenzo could probably be justifiably cross about that! 

Chicane abuse:

lap1.thumb.png.4175edfc40899e0f445bd1bec97d7533.png

lap2.thumb.PNG.b6302fcc2b784737f806f0823ad177fe.PNG

lap3.thumb.png.31a75f08e545917100d05dbbabcb5d6a.png

lap4.thumb.png.f706013f176c74fe7382795485491065.png

I honestly should have had a track limit penalty on all four laps. Edit: I shouldn't, see below.

I flubbed a gear change or something in the very last corner and had no drive heading to the line. Honestly thought he was going to get me. If the start/finish line were any further down the road, he'd have had me.

finish_.thumb.png.6cfa59c6c698b983190bf649d4257e90.png

I think the final margin between us was something like nine hundredths.

I watched a few other videos since, including a demo of how to get the diamond time on the Lewis DLC, and it does appear not to have track limits at all. Which means I'll now start aiming to take it much straighter (believe it or not I was actually trying to drive around it fair and square - ish - in the above race).

No track limits on the chicane. A week and a bit ago in the fight with Noble we straight lined it pretty much 7/8 laps in a row. If you lifted you got overtaken!

That chicane of death is perfect the way it is. If you get it right, it's good time gain (or pretty much mandatory on high level fights such as the one Mexos had with Noble and others.) If you back off or mess up and hit a wall, you lose speed.

It's just racing, really.