Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

I had a noteworthy race in the Nurburgring Daily last night - battling for about 5th, screwed up the first sequence of corners and got overtaken at the 1st sector marker, but kept on his tail.  Had better momentum out of the next couple of turns and was alongside on the inside heading into the hairpin.  He gave me room and tried to cut back inside, but just tapped my rear quarter in doing so - I was already a little loose having had to commit to the move, so I fishtailed, and ended up in the left hand barrier, thinking to myself "oh well, it was a bit optimistic".  Once I got back on track, I noticed the guy was waiting for me, and we continued our scrap to the end of the race, finishing a couple of tenths apart in 13th and 14th.  Almost MNRC-level manners, especially when I'd had it down as at least partly my fault.  Top stuff. :wub:

And then I spent an hour improving my qualy time and have obviously gone up a split.  My old time had me starting 4th or 5th.  I'm half a second quicker now and was bumped down to 12th at best, basically far enough back to not quite be on the straight when the lights go out, and at least 10s down on the leader by lap 1 turn 1.  Nnnnggg.

I did some actual daily's again yesterday .  I think I'm up to 21 races total now :D

I've been sticking with Race C, but since my maiden (only) victory, and progressing to rank C, things have got much, much worse...

First race, I wasn't driving great, but finished 3rd by 1 tenth - which turned to 5th with 20 second penalty as I thought I started on the hard tyre, but must have switched to the medium for qualifying the day before, and therefore used the medium twice).  I lost a good 10+ seconds sliding around on overly worn tyres too, wondering how the hard was so bad so early on...

Second race, someone sent one down the inside at turn 1, I took the normal line, but wide allowing a width, and had to slam on the brakes to avoid another car, and was already just short of the apex when a car slide in front of me basically over the grass way too fast having gone for the harpoon move and already spun. I clipped the back of them and got a 4 second penalty.

I recovered well, and was fighting for 2nd post penalty, but messed up on worn tyres and spun dropping into the midfield, where another not my fault penalty saw me drop back further again.  This time, I hit the anchors and swerved to avoid a spinning car in front, and the car behind punted me into a spin, and I got a 4 second penalty for a collision (I presume the algorithm assumed I was brake testing the car behind, not avoiding the accident ahead).  Almost at the back now, and picked up a couple of my fault 1 second penalties due to the slower racer basically stopping on the apex, and me clipping them. 

SR down to A.

Third race, mixed in with the SR: A and B folk, and cars flying everywhere.  1 guy basically send it down the inside at every corner, rotating the car and using another car as a bumper and got no penalties that I saw, while others sometimes picked up 1 second for tapping the back of the car that shouldn't be there.  I spend the race giving everyone a wide berth, and being knocked into a couple of spins, but none my fault, and end up down in 16th fighting with a Finnish driver, who was very respectful.  We were swapping positions for the last 4 or so laps of the race, which was fun.  Back up to rank S - mission accomplished.

Forth race, back at rank S and things are a little better.  The Finnish racer from the last race is here too, and again we are closely matched, fighting for 10th this time.

I might retire from daily races for a bit :S

19 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Why is default quicker than weak? 

I think because whilst sim setups give you just about enough feedback to manage throttle by yourself, there's not enough for brake.

It's one of the things I remember most from the few times I've been karting, you really know when you're locking the wheels up on the brake much more instinctively, thanks to the feel of the steering and pedal.

8 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Sadly not, they were pre-owned and the seller didn't include it. Will see about picking up an aftermarket one.

Edited to add: Thrustmaster sells spare parts on its official web store so I've just ordered the stock one.

Was this the one off Facebook by any chance in the North West? :lol:

Link to a video of a daily Race from last week. I almost thought I was in a game of Burnout at one point. I must have been charmed in this race to avoid the carnage

1 hour ago, morcs said:

The pit maneuver :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know. Happened right in front of me as well, I actually flinched a bit and then when I saw the pit icon come up on the leaderboard I burst out laughing

2 hours ago, Junker said:

Link to a video of a daily Race from last week. I almost thought I was in a game of Burnout at one point. I must have been charmed in this race to avoid the carnage

:lol:

Get your caymen in the pits bitch. That is class. I've only seen it once where a bit of karma was handed out to another player at Interlagos. Think Michael Andretti that year in the Mclaren where they had to fish his car out of the crowd at turn 1 and your pretty close. I lol'd at that one too the dirty bastard.

Junker that is great.  :sealclap:

No more racing or time trialing for me for a few weeks as we are away for a bit. I did actually consider learning to drive on the pad but I am terrible with it. @marshHow can your steer smoothly with it?!

@mexos my inputs and lines are better with the wheel, but my throttle and braking are all over the shop with pedals. If you take the 911 from last week, you are constantly making tiny little inputs to true up the way you want to go. I will make the switch gradually over time when I've hopefully got the rig out in a permanent configuration.

As documented upthread, my best time around the Nordschleife in the 911 Turbo in last week's TT was 9:00 dead.

Even though the weekly races have moved on, I (a) just really like that car/track combo, and (b) felt I could definitely do better.

Had another go last night after upgrading my pedals to T3PA and changing ABS from Weak to Default... and immediately did an 8:46 on my first lap out, with no sketchy moments.

Don't know if it's the pedals (and it's not like I'm going to go back to the old ones to compare!) or what, but it's a tidy improvement. Some way off @mexos's 8:03 still, but you know. Baby steps.

Relatedly (and I said the same thing in the racing wheel thread) if anyone wants a Thrustmaster 2-pedal set, hit me up and they're yours. They're not wonderful (hence the upgrade) but they work and there's nothing actually wrong with them. Just taking up space here now.

13 hours ago, marsh said:

Cannot quite get into the 1.57's at the berg. I'll shit away half a second in the final sector on my way to another 1.58:angry:

I did my time this week on the pad and it's horrendous. When you finally transition to the wheel, you're going to be a real threat...so err....

On 31/07/2020 at 09:53, Varnsen said:

I did my time this week on the pad and it's horrendous. When you finally transition to the wheel, you're going to be a real threat...so err....

Shhhhhh. Don't tell him ffs! 

PAD 4 LIFE @marsh STAY STRONG.

On 31/07/2020 at 09:23, beenabadbunny said:

... and immediately did an 8:46 on my first lap out, with no sketchy moments.

Nice work, keep it coming!

No sketchy moments - like this. Keep it neat and tidy even if it makes you slower in the short term. Make sure you are using all the track even if it feels a bit awkward or you catch some grass and spin occasionally. Once you are driving like that consistently and well within your ability, pick corners where you are a bit more confident and brake that little bit later or get on the power earlier. IMO the 911 is a great car for feeling through the force feedback when you are asking too much of the car or tyres. It gives you so much more information over what the GT cars do. And it's all transferable. If you can get good in the 911 around the ring with little TC you will find you can drive anything.

Race recording of Monday’s Gr4 race from my POV.  Shame the PS4 can’t record with better fidelity, but I can’t be arsed buying an Elgato or anything.

anyway here it is. Good close racing up to the end.

ooooff yeah i think i'd have spent the post race with the stewards there to be fair...should have saved the replay myself. touch and go. good racing though Junker!

That was a proper ding dong battle between the top 4. Amazing stuff and frankly typical Monday night fun. Good clean racing.

It's also the second time I've managed to just nick Noble at the last corner. ^_^ 

Anyone else having problems with the PSN messages app on iOS? Just me? Probably cos I put the iOS beta on my phone...

(What makes it all the more fun is the way the other PS app happily tells me there are messages to read, but won’t show them to me... grrrrr)

Ok, well I can’t read the group messages except when I’m at my PS4 which is woefully infrequent at the moment. If there’s a consensus on the plan for Monday can someone post in here, pretty please? :) 

1 hour ago, fretnoise said:

Anyone else having problems with the PSN messages app on iOS? Just me? Probably cos I put the iOS beta on my phone...

(What makes it all the more fun is the way the other PS app happily tells me there are messages to read, but won’t show them to me... grrrrr)

Ok, well I can’t read the group messages except when I’m at my PS4 which is woefully infrequent at the moment. If there’s a consensus on the plan for Monday can someone post in here, pretty please? :) 

Will keep you updated! Think endurance racing Gr. 4's around Bathurst sounds like a plan but I'll let everyone have a say :)