Jump to content

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK


Recommended Posts

aha well I'm glad you didn't find it annoying or off putting. Was just spectating and couldn't keep my big mouth shut. 

 

Still annoyed I went off at Spoon at Suzuka, I had Noble beat. Damn him!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Varnsen said:

Still annoyed I went off at Spoon at Suzuka, I had Noble beat. Damn him!

 

He's bloody fast and consistent. Drove away from me at Nurburg but it was a proper ding dong all race at Dragon. We must have swapped places 5 or 6 times. Last lap I went full yolo into the chicane of death and got him on the final corner. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Varnsen said:

aha well I'm glad you didn't find it annoying or off putting. Was just spectating and couldn't keep my big mouth shut. 

 

 

Not at all! As I said, I feel like I should have a voice in my head whenever I drive. Much obliged dude.

 

 

10 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

 

As suggested before, I'd be happy to help out too coaching some people to get an even better understanding of driving cars on a track :) We did a similar thing in the Forza days, teaching some people to shift manual gears for instance.

 

I believe it was actually me that you made the most recent offer to, although I didn't reply at the time.

 

I'd love that, it's just a case of finding the right convenient time and fitting it in.

 

Aren't we all a nice bunch? I feel like this thread needs some :wub: icons.

 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

When everything's a bit more normal (whenever that may be) I'd love to arrange a meet, ideally involving doing a bit of driving or at least spectating.

 

Brands Hatch and Buckmore Park are both about 20 minutes from my house so naturally I'm biased to suggest either of those as a preferred venue! :)

 

(Also I have a spare room and I'm sure I could put one or two of you up for a night if you were coming from further afield - again, once the obvious global issues are out of the way.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I believe it was actually me that you made the most recent offer to, although I didn't reply at the time.

 

I'd love that, it's just a case of finding the right convenient time and fitting it in.

 

Sure :) Let's settle on a night to do this - perhaps next Monday from say, 7PM to get some track teachings done before the main session?

 

8 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

When everything's a bit more normal (whenever that may be) I'd love to arrange a meet, ideally involving doing a bit of driving or at least spectating.

 

Brands Hatch and Buckmore Park are both about 20 minutes from my house so naturally I'm biased to suggest either of those as a preferred venue! :)

 

(Also I have a spare room and I'm sure I could put one or two of you up for a night if you were coming from further afield - again, once the obvious global issues are out of the way.)

 

Very much up for a rllmuk racing games meet, have been in fact since the Forza days but it never materialised. (Though I did actually meet @Boozy The Clown at @Meerman's once during the Dutch TT in Assen!)

 

Let's make this happen in 2021 :) Perhaps Pim, Bart, some other Dutchies and me could even hop in a car together to come over for a long weekend.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

 

Sure :) Let's settle on a night to do this - perhaps next Monday from say, 7PM to get some track teachings done before the main session?

 

 

 

That'd be great. Everyone else will have to forgive the clear unfair advantage it will give me though :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Brands Hatch and Buckmore Park are both about 20 minutes from my house

We're in the same neck of the woods - both about 30-40 minutes from me.

 

However... I'm fairly sure I'm too lardy for karting at the moment :(  I only just fit in my Playseat Challenge...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm somewhere between 90 and 100kg so I'm definitely more Bowser than Peach. I've been karting once before (nothing too rapid - 40mph indoor electric karts at Peterborough) and I got on OK.

 

It was a few years ago. I didn't realise at the time that their track is Brands Hatch Indy! :D

 

Not my video:

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been to an indoor place in Aldershot (work teambuilding thing) and a practice day at Bayford Meadows (near Sittingbourne) - here's Lando showing how it's done there (skip to 1:21).

 

 

EDIT - it's roughly the same layout as your one @beenabadbunny, isn't it? Must be a 'thing' :)

 

Driven past Buckmore Park roughly a million times and have promised to take my boys there about as many times...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

I've been to an indoor place in Aldershot (work teambuilding thing) and a practice day at Bayford Meadows (near Sittingbourne) - here's Lando showing how it's done there (skip to 1:21).

 

EDIT - it's roughly the same layout as your one @beenabadbunny, isn't it? Must be a 'thing' :)

 

 

 

Yeah the red layout is essentially a slightly remixed Brands Hatch Indy by the looks of it:

 

bayford.PNG.cb6c669e46170626ae11e6da0f60180e.PNG

 

Can't put my finger on what the blue half reminds me of. Maybe the Red Bull Ring, although the final sector is quite different.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

 

Sure :) Let's settle on a night to do this - perhaps next Monday from say, 7PM to get some track teachings done before the main session?

 

 

Very much up for a rllmuk racing games meet, have been in fact since the Forza days but it never materialised. (Though I did actually meet @Boozy The Clown at @Meerman's once during the Dutch TT in Assen!)

 

Let's make this happen in 2021 :) Perhaps Pim, Bart, some other Dutchies and me could even hop in a car together to come over for a long weekend.

 

 

Great idea to do indeed. I am absolutely up for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, all for a bit of karting. I'll have to travel so anything is considered. Don't the new WEC 2021 rules come into play next year? just saying :eyebrows:

 

'But dad, you never travel for work on a Friday, it breaks every golden rule you've had since forever??'

 

Be like one of those episodes of Clive from Monkey Dust.

 

Wife: you left here on friday morning to do a stock audit in Swindon/Basingstoke/Gloucester/Warwick, it's now Sunday night, where have you been all weekend?

Me: You'll never believe what happened when I left here on Friday morning, I went to buy a coffee and was confronted by a bald man who offered me some magic pills, one was blue and the other was red. Naturally I had the red pill as red's my favourite color. I was then sucked into a dystopian universe where I had to do battle with agent Smith over a number of increasingly bizzare and incredibly far fetched confrontations.

Wife: that's the basic plot of a film series called the Matrix, where have you really been all weekend?

Me: I went to Silverstone and met up with some blokes I met on the internet, we watched the WEC all weekend.....<_<

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great racing again last night, apologies for those I run into, I couldn't muster up my A game last night at all, frustrating, as in each race I felt I was quicker than I was driving.

That being said, I dodged the rear engined 911 all week as don't like it, and my familiarity with Nurburgring F1 is more from Forza (or PGR even( where half of the circuit is flat out or a light touch on the brakes.  

Gr.4 I always seem to struggle with, I don't know why, perhaps Gr.3 performance masks my lack of pace :D

 

The Super Formula was interesting, apologies to Junker who I punted at the first chicane on lap 2 or 3, I didn't expect you to brake at the cone marker, though being less than 2 tenths behind I should have mustered up the courage to send one down the inside rather than trying to follow you round.  I was never going to get much closer..

 

As other have said, big shout out to @Varnsen and @beenabadbunny, it was really interesting to listen in, great way to start the night.

 

 

1 thing I did pick up on, when we were talking about assists, was use of 'weak' ABS. I'll confess, I didn't even realise this could be changed, and personally have always run 'default' ABS.

I tried weak after the races last night, using the current Gr3 and Gr2 daily race qualifying for practice, and... I'm not convinced on it (for me anyway)

It certainly encourages you to do all of your braking in a straight line, and is much less forgiving if you turn in a little early - causing the front end to wipe out with understeer

I think there is a balance to be found between that wipe out and trail braking, then perhaps it's quicker, but it after a dozen or so laps on the 2 time trials, I found I was horrendously inconsistent and the car seemed somehow unpredictable.

'Default' still rewards braking in a straight line, but is more forgiving, without necessarily feeling too invasive.

 

What are others running?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Freeman said:

Great racing again last night, apologies for those I run into, I couldn't muster up my A game last night at all, frustrating, as in each race I felt I was quicker than I was driving.

That being said, I dodged the rear engined 911 all week as don't like it, and my familiarity with Nurburgring F1 is more from Forza (or PGR even( where half of the circuit is flat out or a light touch on the brakes.  

Gr.4 I always seem to struggle with, I don't know why, perhaps Gr.3 performance masks my lack of pace :D

 

The Super Formula was interesting, apologies to Junker who I punted at the first chicane on lap 2 or 3, I didn't expect you to brake at the cone marker, though being less than 2 tenths behind I should have mustered up the courage to send one down the inside rather than trying to follow you round.  I was never going to get much closer..

 

As other have said, big shout out to @Varnsen and @beenabadbunny, it was really interesting to listen in, great way to start the night.

 

 

1 thing I did pick up on, when we were talking about assists, was use of 'weak' ABS. I'll confess, I didn't even realise this could be changed, and personally have always run 'default' ABS.

I tried weak after the races last night, using the current Gr3 and Gr2 daily race qualifying for practice, and... I'm not convinced on it (for me anyway)

It certainly encourages you to do all of your braking in a straight line, and is much less forgiving if you turn in a little early - causing the front end to wipe out with understeer

I think there is a balance to be found between that wipe out and trail braking, then perhaps it's quicker, but it after a dozen or so laps on the 2 time trials, I found I was horrendously inconsistent and the car seemed somehow unpredictable.

'Default' still rewards braking in a straight line, but is more forgiving, without necessarily feeling too invasive.

 

What are others running?

 

All good bro, having to drop out of the lobby to go and buy the car, and then put on a sweet Benetton livery, meant I didn’t get time to do a practice lap so I had a guess at where to brake. a few laps later I realised I had probably braked 100m too early. :blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is default quicker than weak? 

 

I've learned to embrace TCS 0. I wasn't the quickest in the 930 or anything, but a week of just trying to keep it pointing vaguely forwards for eight or nine minutes at a time has done wonders for my throttle control. When we were in the GT4 cars on Monday I actually couldn't get it to break rear traction no matter how much I abused the gas pedal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't play at all last night. On Monday, right as I was closing down for the evening the game blue-screened and crashed to desktop. Last night when I tried to play, it would load the front end but it blue-screened at the point of loading the track. Restarted and tried three more times - same blue-screen at the same point every time.

 

So I uninstalled the app and set it to download again, and we all know how long THAT takes :angry:

 

It's extra frustrating because my T3PA pedals had just arrived yesterday and I wanted to try them out.

 

Did have a quick go early this morning (by which time it had still only managed to install the very cut-down version of Arcade mode, with three tracks and half a dozen cars) and they feel fine. I'm not going to claim they'll magically make me faster or anything, but they're obviously a bit higher-quality than the old set and I'm happy with them. Plus there's a clutch, so obviously I'm already scoping out prices for used gearshifters...

 

Left it in standby-download mode so hopefully it will have finished fetching the rest of the game by this evening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

It's extra frustrating because my T3PA pedals had just arrived yesterday and I wanted to try them out.

 

Did have a quick go early this morning (by which time it had still only managed to install the very cut-down version of Arcade mode, with three tracks and half a dozen cars) and they feel fine. I'm not going to claim they'll magically make me faster or anything, but they're obviously a bit higher-quality than the old set and I'm happy with them. Plus there's a clutch, so obviously I'm already scoping out prices for used gearshifters...

 

Did you get the rubber conical braking mod with that T3PA set? It's well worth installing to get a stiffer brake pedal, which is more akin to the real thing and let's you really stomp on the brake pedal before bleeding off. It can aid in trail braking, too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly not, they were pre-owned and the seller didn't include it. Will see about picking up an aftermarket one.

 

Edited to add: Thrustmaster sells spare parts on its official web store so I've just ordered the stock one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.