Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Nnngggg - this game! :blink2:

I had an amazing race the other night. Daily Race A, the Minis at Brands Indy. Started 4th, took a place off the start, and then the top 3 were nose to tail for the rest of the race, covered by about a second, with attacks and defence going on all over the place. It was clean but hard racing and really showed off what can happen when you get a decent group of people together.

And then there was a complete shocker. Race C - I got forced wide just before the hairpin and picked up a half second penalty. Fair enough, I was battling and had to choose between backing out, barging the guy alongside me, or running wide.  I chose to run wide and got the penalty. But then, I served that penalty on the pit straight and got completely taken out from behind as I unghosted. The game decides to give me another 2 second penalty as being hit from behind was obviously my fault. Cue rage quit, the first one for ages...

So my SR rating is now the lowest it’s been for months (B!), so the chances of getting more races like the first one are all but non-existent...

Stupid game.  Who’s for Tetris?

Finally broke into the 8.03's. We are now into the territory where a lift in some corners is going to cost you the lap so it's just keep the boot in, fight it and hope for the best.

5 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Stupid game.  Who’s for Tetris?

Yeah! It's insanity. I'm having a quick go between jobs around the house. Why do I care to try and go faster? It means nothing but here I am.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Finally broke into the 8.03's. We are now into the territory where a lift in some corners is going to cost you the lap so it's just keep the boot in, fight it and hope for the best.

Yeah! It's insanity. I'm having a quick go between jobs around the house. Why do I care to try and go faster? It means nothing but here I am.

The most important thing in world motorsports right now is you getting sub 8 mins. Not even jokin. You’re 417th in the world right now :slowclap:

Did an 8.12, two seconds up in the first three sectors. Get yelled at for tea being ready.

Car destroyed.

:quote:

Where's the civility in my household? Don't these people know???

21 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

@mexos Don't suppose you saved a replay of your lap?

I done fked up and didn't say it on the 8.03 but I do have the 8.04 saved. Will try and post it.

3 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

This is awesome. Any chance you could do the same as an onboard?

What, and give away my secrets? :lol:

Sure. I'll try and get it up this eve. 8-)

EDIT: here you go.

Online racing again tonight! At 8PM UK time as per usual, and a special 'welcome back' edition as Noble, Pim and TheRallyBart will all be returning :)

Bring your Porsche 911 Turbo after last week's slog around the 'Ring for a decent group work-out, after which we'll see which other cars come up.

36 minutes ago, mexos said:

What, and give away my secrets? :lol:

I think this is a very real example of there being a sizable gulf between knowing what to do and being able to do it consistently.  Especially when you have to do it 170 times a lap on that track...

You can (if you want) just share the replay itself from your library - triangle, I think, and then the share option.  Then we can all study your technique and massively underachieve next time it pops up on a daily :D

13 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

I think this is a very real example of there being a sizable gulf between knowing what to do and being able to do it consistently.  Especially when you have to do it 170 times a lap on that track...

You can (if you want) just share the replay itself from your library - triangle, I think, and then the share option.  Then we can all study your technique and massively underachieve next time it pops up on a daily :D

I really don't mind. I like that we all continue to level up. Key things I found was balance = speed. Trying to be neat and not let it get lairy even though yes it does want to kill you!!!

I always thought late on the brakes was key but if that means you are late on power then you lose time. Drive smooth like Yenson. Then progressively push it a bit more, more until you find the limit and then it's pretty much an airplane crash around here. The struggle is keeping it right on the knife edge. I LOVE the downhill bit around 5.30. The car is 4 wheel drifting and dancing across the road. It's a tiny flinch from a crash for good 30 seconds.

2 minutes ago, marsh said:

The thing about that car and track combo is it's very moreish.

Like crack.

Both just as likely to put you backwards into a tree too.

You hit me so hard I fell off the internet! (I’m kidding - I suspect I was too far behind :))

Excellent racing right up until my connection went all screwy. It seemed every device in the house had a rock solid 30mbps connection except the PS4 which was reporting more like 3mbps down and even worse up. Harrumph!

Dragon Trail and Suzuka were particular highlights. I was keeping a constant gap to the lead quartet at Dragon Trail, but just couldn’t close the gap (more bravery required at the chicane of death I think).  At Suzuka I managed to make a one stop almost kinda work, with 2 stints on Softs. The softs were about done after 5 laps, and I had to fuel save a little on the last lap of the race, but happy with 5th place there, especially after a brief trip to the kitty litter on lap 1...

Oh and the old 911s look amazing:

590549E6-03D7-4A11-829D-9E9140F78ABA.thumb.jpeg.012b5eac1c991c5d2dcc659027ddcccc.jpeg

A4D90213-D694-4CD7-8A90-FF3F864D7B3D.thumb.jpeg.15dbf8ccebab46719dd5252bc35674e8.jpeg

I enjoyed having @Varnsen's voice in my head during the first session. :)

I wasn't 'on it' last night at all though. It's very much like @fretnoise said on the previous page - it's the difference between knowing what to do, and consistently actually doing it. I 'know' in theory what a decent racing line looks like, and (in a car where I feel confident) I can even hit it sometimes.

But I often seem to fluctuate between eight tenths (safe but slow) and eleven tenths (off the course backwards), often during the same lap. I'll start off slow and steady, get behind, push too hard trying to get some time back, and fall off.

Course familiarity is everything. I just don't know the Nürburgring GP-Strecke well enough to push with any confidence in a car as unforgiving as the 930. By the end, with the aid of the aforementioned live coaching, I was saving seconds per lap.

One interesting thing is that I reckon I'm a safer driver IRL after all this GT practice. Not because I feel confident to drive in a more spirited fashion - the exact opposite! It's taught me that I actually don't have as much car control skill as I'd like, so as a consequence I consciously try to do fewer daft things on the road. Even though I drive a go-kart that loves being hooned around.

socrates.gif.9ded44b0c355e86abd7d60cd7568b9bd.gif

5 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I enjoyed having @Varnsen's voice in my head during the first session. :)

Me too!  I was on a completely different part of the track, but just having someone calmly talking about using the width of the road and flattening corners and so on meant I was doing much more of that myself.  People'd pay for that, @Varnsen :) 

I've said it a few times on here, we are in very good company and any mistake or minor off means you are toast in terms of getting a result. Last night just didn't happen for me, that's the nature of the beast, however I do now know that you can take both lesmo corners in the super formula in 4th gear. I wouldn't have found that out if I wasn't trading places with Junker at the rear. Got within half a second of Nobles fastest lap in the end so all you can do is continue to learn.

That Noble one stopped at Suzuka was a real suprise. Wasn't he stone dead last at one point during that race?

10 minutes ago, marsh said:

That Noble one stopped at Suzuka was a real suprise. Wasn't he stone dead last at one point during that race?

Yup, he spun off into the gravel and proceeded to make up all that lost time mainly by saving fuel and tyres...

14 minutes ago, fretnoise said:

Me too!  I was on a completely different part of the track, but just having someone calmly talking about using the width of the road and flattening corners and so on meant I was doing much more of that myself.  People'd pay for that, @Varnsen :) 

As suggested before, I'd be happy to help out too coaching some people to get an even better understanding of driving cars on a track :) We did a similar thing in the Forza days, teaching some people to shift manual gears for instance.