Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

:lol:

I take it by flying you mean of the aeroplane variety and not flying into a hedge backwards as the 911 pendulum swings it's way round for the eleventy billionth time chasing that  sub 8 minute lap?

It may have been designed by people who want us dead, but I still think the 930 is just the most wonderful-looking thing. My favourite road car from the 70s for sure.

Edit: it has been pointed out to me that this photo I took at the Porsche Museum is not in fact a 930. But it's still the classic 70s 911 shape with a big flat spoiler on the back and I still love it. :)

IMG_20130401_115902.thumb.jpg.0939e9783c72da6cace28b43ef1b1ca6.jpg

3 hours ago, marsh said:

:lol:

I take it by flying you mean of the aeroplane variety and not flying into a hedge backwards as the 911 pendulum swings it's way round for the eleventy billionth time chasing that  sub 8 minute lap?

Lol yeah. There has been a little bodywork damage on the poor old 911. Got to say it's my all time favourite 911. Only the Targa comes close.

Found a few more seconds... only another 9 to go. :wacko:

4 hours ago, mexos said:

Found a few more seconds... only another 9 to go. :wacko:

8 to go.

283rd in EMEA and 507th in the world. Well happy with that but still 19.529 seconds off the pace. Wat! That must be a proper racing driver? 3rd place is 3 seconds off him! 12th place is 5 seconds off! How!!?

Recon I still have a good 3 seconds in the tank to find I think but the margins are really slim now. Getting close to 1 slight mess up and the lap is toast. 

I always kidded myself... yeah if I'd pursued racing I might have had some speed. Nope, at best you'd be one of hundreds of thousands of 'ok ish' level drivers. Better that most out on the streets driving a Corsa but still night and day from having close to the ability to earn a living from racing. Racing in something like this just rams it home! The best drivers really are super human. 

Speaking of the porsche though, it's the most quad bike like car in the game. By that I mean you set it up for a corner long before you arrive at it, usually approaching said corner slightly sideways and then balance it on or off the throttle. Just before you reach the point where it decides to launch you into an armco with as much force as possible....

The number of times I've gone 'oooooo you bitch' as it reminds me I'm taking serious liberties.

Yum:

sing1.jpg

I found a brilliant quote about the 911 Turbo that I think we can all agree with:

The original 3.0-litre 930 served up 260hp: a modest 63hp more than a contemporary Carrera 3.0, and Golf GTI power today. Even so, edgy handling and all-or-nothing power delivery made it a challenging steer.

Le Mans-winning Porsche racer Tony Dron said: “Frankly, it demanded too much skill, even from an experienced driver, and that made serious driving hard work… I was far from convinced that selling them to the public was a good idea.”

I'd go as far as to say it's one of the most satisfying cars to drive in the game. It is ridiculous mind. The FFB is so nice using it. I can really feel what the car is doing.

Yeah it feels great, until you look at the clock. I always fuck up the gentle turn under the Bilstein bridge on the mega-straight, which is the worst possible place to fuck up.

I really like Dragon Gardens 2.

I'm still 25s off mine. Did a few laps last night and improved my previous 9:21 to a 9:05, KP says I need an 8:40.

I've definitely got it in me but it's just so hard to make it all the way round without one single mistake.

1 hour ago, morcs said:

I really like Dragon Gardens 2.

Is that the race C track?  Is it backwards, or have I somehow on;y driven it the other way around?  (is that what '2' means?)

I've never driven it in that direction prior to this week.

I did my first and only 2 laps of the ring in the Porsche last night, the first was 10 minutes and 5 seconds (though I do like to start with a steady 'banker' lap on time trials).

The second knocked 50+ seconds off it :lol:

Not sure I want to go in for more though...

ii means backwards yeah, I’ve matched the top time (I think alternating between @Junker and @Jashin) as optimal splits but not strung it together so far.

It's a nice technical but flowing circuit, there's a decent guide here:

i feel like I’m off the pace on race C, I’m quicker the other way. Been trying to beat my Race A time but no joy, was thinking I could farm DR points to get to A rank but keep getting put in random lobbies with A+ ranked drivers and getting obliterated 

And that is why we love this car/track combo:

Mental note, pissed a second away doing slidey tyre smokes for the fans at home even though that was an 8.15 lap...

2 hours ago, marsh said:

'Kids! pack up the tent we're leaving IMMEDIATELY!!!'

‘Daddy’s got to put something right on the internet’

YES IT’S THAT IMPORTANT, STOP CRYING BACK THERE.