rllmuk
McSpeed

Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Good racing last night. Sorry I wasn’t on comms,  but I could hear! My favourite bit was Junker’s reaction when I beat him in the pit stop at Spa. 

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 21:53, McSpeed said:

RE: Le Mans in classic racing cars

We (mostly my colleague Derk-Luiskoe who  often works with him) are trying to get Jan Lammers to join our rllmuk GT Sport Monday night racing, after we recently learned he plays this game with his son.

If we can Jan involved, obviously it will be a Le Mans race in Group C machinery to recreate his 1988 victory for Jaguar :)

Here's that article I shared to the PSN group last night, in nicer quality. It's from a Le Mans supplement that came with Motor Sport Magazine some time in 2017 (presumably June but it doesn't actually state the month).

Spoilered for image size:

Spoiler

lammers_.thumb.jpg.c6f6381e6178ad03e58b66d8bc82403d.jpg

• Upvote 3

Great racing again last night, and my first (*lobby) podium at Spa, perhaps in part due to car choice and a decent strategy.

I seemed to click with the Spa, Nissan combo. A car I hadn't driven prior to last night too.

Close racing throughout, though starting 2nd, I could only stick with GwiDan until the Kemmel straight on lap 1 - never to be seen again!

Good tussle with the Jags for a few laps trading positions back and forth.  My heart sank after a couple of stops when I ended up in a 4/5 car midfield battle wondering what had gone wrong, took me a lap to realise strategy differences meant I was a stop ahead at that point!

Properly happy with my move at Pouhon on Count Buffalo, (though we were on different strategies), and equally happy it was only 15 laps as Mexos was closing me down at 1.5 seconds a lap at the end!

Brands and Monza... I followed Joe into the gravel at the start of both, and it went downhill from there!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

They started off almost kinda daily, then changed to daily, then changed to weekly in August 2018, and have been that way ever since.  I don't understand why they haven't changed the name in the game though :)

Changing them daily meant their version of Joe was running out of ideas too soon, I guess. :) It also means that people didn't get to learn the track / car combo, which I think is one of the best things about the "3 races per week" system - I certainly enjoy them more having the time to get some decent qualy laps in.

Apparently, the sports mode races used to allow tuning too - glad they got rid of that...

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sports-daily-races-are-now-anything-but-daily-again/

Ooh yeah, the current setup is perfect :)

What I learned last night is that a GT4 car is perfectly driveable without TCS. A Group C car, on the other hand, needs a bit more skill than I possess.

After a couple of laps I stopped trying to be clever and turned the traction control back on. This helped me to face mostly forwards for the rest of the race. Mostly.

• Upvote 2

Ah so it’s GR3 in the daily at Intelagos is it. Nice.

Ok I’ll just have a quick look at the times. Impressive.

Stares at the wheel, still set up from last night.

Ok just a quick go. You’ve not done the daily in weeks. Check my fastest time, it’s miles off Pimp’s. Damn...

Internal voice: C’mon! You’ve got loads of stuff to do and that is a very fast lap for first and you are 4 seconds off the pace. Don’t do it. Go and do something more productive. 

TLDR: :eyebrows:

• Upvote 7

I mentioned in the chat on Monday I raised my feet / pedals on my play seat challenge. Initially, I just put something under the pedals to raise, but wanted something more permanent (and less damaging to my old ammo box)

so I bought a piece of aluminium box section and a couple of brackets...

I tried a couple of different things to get the height right for me, I wanted stability over adjustability though

It still folds up, the brackets aren’t tight against the frame, though could be by adding some rubber or similar as a sim. The base of the aluminium has a rubber foam on it to protect the floor. It’s nice and stable, feels great.

CB81D2E8-DF18-48EA-9AE0-CBAADCD4976C.jpeg

2DCA047C-890F-4F61-B782-C5F48D7BF6AA.jpeg

• Upvote 4

On 14/07/2020 at 11:53, GwiDan said:

Good racing last night. Sorry I wasn’t on comms,  but I could hear! My favourite bit was Junker’s reaction when I beat him in the pit stop at Spa. 

:hmm:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

2 hours work tonight. To go half a tenth faster.

Enough!

• Upvote 2

How on earth has someone managed to send that nissan round le mans in three minutes flat?

Subsequently it means my kudos target time is 3.07 :angry:

10 hours ago, mexos said:

2 hours work tonight. To go half a tenth faster.

Enough!

Conversely, one advantage of being a bit slower than the rest of you is that I can still make big relative gains when I put in some work. I spent about 90 minutes banging round La Sarthe last night (Race C quali, no-chicane layout, 1992 Nissan) and got my time down to 3:18 dead, with loads of time still to find (just my own optimum from those 26 laps was 3:14.6, and that 3:18 had no fastest sectors).

My Kudosprime target was a 19.5 so I'm happy enough just to be ahead of that. (edited to add: my first attempt was somewhere in the thirties, hence "big relative gains")

2 hours ago, marsh said:

How on earth has someone managed to send that nissan round le mans in three minutes flat?

Subsequently it means my kudos target time is 3.07 :angry:

You can get away with quite a lot of track limit abuse at some points on the circuit. More than once last night I outbraked myself and missed the Dunlop chicane with no penalty, for example (although I was faster when I took it clean, so maybe the game does compensate for that?)

• Upvote 2

Late night Ring lobby with people perfectly replicating the 'Touristenfahrten' is quite the experience. Looked like everyone in the full lobby found some others to play with. Me and a german guy in 86's were having a three way battle with a russian Civic driver and we were regularly overtaken by a coupe of japanese dudes and a german racing their old 911 turbo's. Most people clean and waiting for the right moment to overtake and using their blinkers. Add a couple of M3's, Clio's and newer 911's and it was a pretty realistic representation of the real thing. 

• Upvote 2

That sounds really cool! Perhaps we could do that sometime with a full lobby, too :)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

That sounds really cool! Perhaps we could do that sometime with a full lobby, too :)

What do we all drive in real life, and how close can we get using the cars in the game?

I've got an i3 so I'm directly represented. Let me tell you, the Döttinger Höhe has never felt longer than when you drive it in a car electronically restricted to exactly 150km/h :lol:

14 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

What do we all drive in real life, and how close can we get using the cars in the game?

I've got an i3 so I'm directly represented. Let me tell you, the Döttinger Höhe has never felt longer than when you drive it in a car electronically restricted to exactly 150km/h :lol:

Fun suggestion! There's no Fiesta S in this game so I'll have to settle for a Focus ST :)

Yeah I was gutted when I realised there was no Fiesta ST. I thought I finally owned a car that was represented in one of these games.

It's in Forza :( The exact same colour and everything! Just too many doors and American indicators.

It sounds completely wrong of course but - that's true of all cars in all games.

The Mazda Demio (Mazda 2) is essentially a Fiesta I think, but they only have a 100hp one. Mine is 215, I guess I could tune it.

Forester turbo - no, countryman phev - no, swift sport - YUUUUUUUUUURRRRPPP!

Will have to see if I can get it to look like Mrs M's car.

32 minutes ago, marsh said:

Will have to see if I can get it to look like Mrs M's car.

Realistic damage?

• Upvote 1

Cross post from the chat....

Daily Reward bug is fixed!

I've had no daily reward cars since I started playing at the end of May.

Turns out I get them retrospectively, and I've played almost every day, so... that's a long time watching car roulette.

I'm way too happy about this, except that the bug fix update took more or less my whole lunch hour and I'm in a meeting now...

• Upvote 1

I always try to press a button each time it hits the one I want even though I know it makes no difference.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I drive this:

canyon-fitnessbike-01.jpg?sw=1280

And this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Might be an issue for top speed.  :sherlock:

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, mexos said:

I drive this:

canyon-fitnessbike-01.jpg?sw=1280

And this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Might be an issue for top speed.  :sherlock:

Ok, so 3 wheels, Mexos is in the Reliant...

51 minutes ago, marsh said:

Has that got an f1 tyre on it??

Yeah it's one of these:

Screenshot-2020-07-16-at-16_56_18.jpg.3600bbdd163fe54bfd1759c2d909407a.jpg