Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

59 minutes ago, morcs said:

Didn’t you also overtake the 3 of us when someone else joined from the pit exit? What a move :D 

Yeah that was fun. 8-) I could see the op coming and I'm thinking do I hang back or try to invoke the Häkkinen. It's option 2. 

• Upvote 1

Great racing last night after my initial internet connection panic.

In true 'BT' style, the main phone line in my house enters upstairs, which is an attic conversion, in my 6 year old daughters bedroom.  There is then a series of extensions wired through the walls into a small room, then my games room.  The small room is an office (originally a box bedroom), but really gets used for storage, getting to the phone line is a proper pain.  I thought it was the Sky router, so restarted about 3 or 4 times, then picked up the phone to hear no dial tone (first time the phone has been picked up in years!)

Turned out my daughter had knocked the extension out of the main socket when piling some story books up!  I made it into the lobby just missing the start of touring cars qualifying so was locked out, but luckily for me, the pit lane bug meant a restart and I was in.  The race was the first time I'd driven the Mazda at Autopolis, and I hadn't realised it was a shorter version of the track I'd never driven before, so the last corner was interesting, and of course sets up the whole straight.  I suffered from the crazy slip streaming and went properly wide at turn 1 too, but it was a fun combo and a good warm up.

To the lakes!  I didn't do as much practice for this as I did for Fuji in Gr.2 but am really feeling the Porsche in Gr.3 at the moment, despite driving the Audi more.

I found a bit of pace on the softs, and lost it on the supers unfortunately.  I spent the rest of the race mixing it up between soft and supers as I kept telling myself they should be a fair bit quicker,  but really should have just stuck to the soft I think.   I think I need to feel and listen for the slip angle to not destroy the fronts so quickly.

Pre-first pitstop, with 5, 6, 7, then 8 of us fighting was amazing, and somehow very clean, despite Interlagos not offering that many passing places through the middle of the lap.  

Seemed to spend a lot of time around morcs and mexos, with pit strategy bringing us together again and again. I had nothing for that Mazda bearing down on me though, especially in sector 2 :ph34r:

I could stick with if I had a bit of slipstream, but tailed away as I destroyed those damn super softs, especially as I tried to push an extra lap or 2 out of them.  Really loving the endurance format, even as my brain is wrestling with "15 minutes divided by 1 minute 30 means X laps left, and tyres A give Z laps, and I have fuel and, shit, drive the car Chris, drive the car!" :D

• Upvote 5

Yep - great fun as always :) @beenabadbunny and I shared a (now-sacked) strategist so I was looking after tyres and fuel saving for nearly the whole race... so whilst I carried out my one-stop strategy successfully, I don't think I can say I made it "work" as such.  I probably should have got the message after being overtaken by @GwiDan about 4 times in my second / final stint as he pitted and caught up, pitted and caught up, and so on ad nauseum, but by then I was fully in the short-shifting, tyre-saving mode and I suspect changing to softs would have seen me in the kitty litter most laps.  Sorry for being a bit of a mobile chicane - I tried to keep out of the way of people on obviously different strategies, but was glad to only see the @Varnsen go past once towards the end of the last lap.

The MX-5 warm up race was excellent.  I particularly liked the calls of "that's not a left!" by at least one creature of habit every lap, and the strong slipstream made for some 'interesting' moments at turn 1! :D

• Upvote 2

I'm glad it wasn't just me that found the super softs not as fast as the softs, got within a whisker of that fastest lap and thought I'd chuck some supers off for the consolation prize. Couldn't get anywhere near it!

• Upvote 1

Ooh yeah that was true for me too. I'd kind of find myself apexing too early and thinking "wow there's a lot of grip", then flooring it and going wide. On softs you can just drive like mediums and go faster.

Doesn't your heart sink when the daily wheel of fortune car carousel features a rally car, you just know that it's going to land on that fucker <_<

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Yep - great fun as always :) @beenabadbunny and I shared a (now-sacked) strategist so I was looking after tyres and fuel saving for nearly the whole race... so whilst I carried out my one-stop strategy successfully, I don't think I can say I made it "work" as such.  I probably should have got the message after being overtaken by @GwiDan about 4 times in my second / final stint as he pitted and caught up, pitted and caught up, and so on ad nauseum, but by then I was fully in the short-shifting, tyre-saving mode and I suspect changing to softs would have seen me in the kitty litter most laps.  Sorry for being a bit of a mobile chicane - I tried to keep out of the way of people on obviously different strategies, but was glad to only see the @Varnsen go past once towards the end of the last lap.

The MX-5 warm up race was excellent.  I particularly liked the calls of "that's not a left!" by at least one creature of habit every lap, and the strong slipstream made for some 'interesting' moments at turn 1! :D

My strategy wasn’t the fastest given that I never saw pimp or scarliley, but it was fun enough and let me run somewhere near the front without worrying about fuel. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, marsh said:

Doesn't your heart sink when the daily wheel of fortune car carousel features a rally car, you just know that it's going to land on that fucker <_<

It's got to the point where my boy (who doesn't know very much about these cars at all) can look at the silhouettes and call out which one I'm going to get because "it's the one without any spoilers".  <_<

2 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

My strategy wasn’t the fastest given that I never saw pimp or scarliley, but it was fun enough and let me run somewhere near the front without worrying about fuel. 

I saw them loads of times :lol:

• Upvote 3
53 minutes ago, marsh said:

No, I’ve never seen it :lol:

11 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Also, that autopolis short course is quality. 

It cuts you off just before the wiener-pin :wub:

2 hours ago, fretnoise said:

Literally me for the first 5-6 laps. I don't learn easy. Amazed I didn't bin it.

I made an unforced error at T1 of the sprint race last night (dipped a wheel outside the lines and spun) and then pretty much didn't see any of the rest of you all race. (I think I passed one or two people as they recovered from their own offs, but they got back past me quick enough.)

Strong slipstream is a total shitshow for the likes of me, because once you get behind, you stay behind.

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I just try not to look any more.

Who was it that got the 20 million Ford during last week's Rllmuk races? Anyone on here or was it one of the wider circle?

Last week I got the classic Ford GT40 after the Rllmuk races. It's only 2.8 million. The 20 million ford is the mark 4 race car. But still, was pretty happy with that GT40.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jonster said:

No, I’ve never seen it :lol:

I haven't had anything decent for ages. Usually I find that you have to stop playing it for a considerable number of weeks until you turn the tide. I have a garage I'd gift you if I could, a feature sadly lacking from this version.

29 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Strong slipstream is a total shitshow for the likes of me, because once you get behind, you stay behind.

Genuine host error, will try to keep it 'real' in future as I think this is the better option.

• Upvote 1

Yeah even "real" is probably an exaggeration of what would happen in real life, but I think it's nicely balanced for good racing.

I'm glad I put the brake balance to the rear in the Mazda, meant when I forgot about the slipstream in T1 I could just about keep it on the track by going sideways rather than understeering off :D

Sorry I didn't show last night chaps - took a few painkillers for my back and dozed off on the sofa :lol:. Back is feeling much better now so should be good for next Monday!

• Upvote 5

Honestly, if this game was MX5 touring car only I’d be happy @McSpeed what setting do we run them on? Is it BoP on or off and no tuning? I’d like to maybe organise some sort of championship or league, maybe seperate to Monday Night Race Club ( MNRC) depending on interest. I’m thinking one make, easy to drive and close racing on short tracks. Just a thought

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, marsh said:

Genuine host error, will try to keep it 'real' in future as I think this is the better option.

I'm not cross by the way, don't worry.

Another thing I'd like is a longer timeout after the leader finishes, so us backmarkers can actually finish our last lap.

Less of an issue in the endurance race where I'll have been lapped anyway, but it's frustrating on a sprint race when you're on the same lap but you're 40 seconds behind and you've only got 30 seconds left, or whatever the default is.

• Upvote 1

Just throwing it out there. Can we all start to 'save' for some of the classic LeMans cars?

So we can race them all in a few months time.

I enjoyed the sprint, I was looking strong until I was sitting behind pim on our way to turn one and pim was drafting someone in front he missed the breaking point as did I and was wondering why I was heading in at speed and binned it. That track and car was excellent.

Once I was used to the slipstream I enjoyed it some good fun up the home straight.

• Upvote 1