Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Guys, that was amazing. Thanks to all for both races - been years since I’ve felt that buzz!

Autopolis race, got second on the grid but got shuffled into the gravel at turn one. Had a good race fighting back - here’s me chasing GwiDan. Think I finished 6th or 7th but definitely felt a bit quicker than that position showed.

9B9704F4-95B7-4DDF-9A25-84B822CB2B79.thumb.jpeg.0d06be08fb6af4a53659f04607821133.jpeg

Fuji. Got to admit I was a bit surprised to get pole as I didn’t use the super softs for my lap. Got a bit shuffled out the way on lap one again and was down to about 9th, but started fighting back through.

Eventually figured that @morcs was in a different league, but I was not sure how things would shake out as I was hovering around @marsh and @GwiDan and felt I was possibly on for a podium. Marsh managed to fuel economise brilliantly but I worked out GwiDan would have to stop and I was probably going to be a few seconds ahead, with about five minutes left and him able to go full beans.

Sadly I then dropped the car at turn one, costing me 9.5 seconds. I think it showed me 10.8 behind GwiDan at the end so he would have beaten me, but it would have been fun :). Still, I am really pleased with 4th.

Here’s me chasing after Marsh and GwiDan earlier in the race.

53AB5CD0-96EA-4D16-845C-A0D87F78AFFF.thumb.jpeg.e6fe6a7d33ace2f3bb536939bb58bb5a.jpeg

:hat: to everyone - it’s good to be racing again. I now need a cold beer as I am knackered :lol:

(Oh, the NSX and Fuji go together like peaches and cream. Was a dream to drive).

Yep, that was great. Enjoyed the ebb and flow of those pit stops....probably should have checked with @McSpeedbefore going with those fuel and tyre settings. I think it still made for an interesting race?

Loved the livery on that nsx @kiroquai was relieved to see it pit when it did!

Here are the full results.  There was a suggestion, allegation confirmation in the chat that Lobby A was running different fuel and tyre multipliers (mutterings like 'I only stopped twice' merely add weight to that!) so the collated results might not mean much, but I've typed them all in now so... meh! :)

#	Lobby	Driver			Laps	Time
1	A	Pimpalicioius_MZ	58	1:30:49.824
2	A	TheRallyBart		58	1:30:57.201
3	A	scarliley		58	1:31:14.773
4	A	mexos3			58	1:31:15.971
5	A	Batmobile		57	1:30:02.991
6	A	Derk-Luiskoe47		57	1:30:18.871
7	A	Joe_McSpeed		57	1:30:27.374
8	A	luukyluuk18		57	1:30:51.121
9	A	JUNKERDENB		57	1:30:56.370
10	B	mrmorcs			57	1:31:10.616
11	B	vladthegimp10		56	1:30:04.212
12	B	GwiDan			56	1:30:37.800
13	A	TheBaukster		56	1:30:41.645
14	B	kiroquai		56	1:30:48.621
15	A	themagicviking		56	1:31:13.864
16	B	Count_Buffalos		56	1:31:27.271
17	B	Corranga		56	1:31:30.195
18	B	Badger_GT		56	1:31:30.273
19	B	Fretnoise		55	1:30:06.459
20	B	fighterdj		55	1:31:20.898
21	B	EffectiveTripod		54	1:30:19.113
22	B	beenabadbunny		53	1:30:54.050

Thanks @fretnoise for that. Mad to think we had  over 20 racers again, and we had a few regulars and semi regulars missing. 
 Thanks to @McSpeed and @marsh for hosting duties.
 I was way off the pace in race 2, and got punted   at turn 1 in race 1 but got a 1:45.9 fastest lap in race 1 so going round and round and round last week In the Time Trial was definitely NOT a waste of my time :(

6 minutes ago, Junker said:

Thanks @fretnoise for that. Mad to think we had  over 20 racers again, and we had a few regulars and semi regulars missing. 
 Thanks to @McSpeed and @marsh for hosting duties.
 I was way off the pace in race 2, and got punted   at turn 1 in race 1 but got a 1:45.9 fastest lap in race 1 so going round and round and round last week In the Time Trial was definitely NOT a waste of my time :(

That’s a ridiculous time for race pace. 

@kiroquai, great pictures!

Great racing, really clean and close too. Differing strategies meant we were pitting on different laps but 
Count_Buffalos, Badger_GT & Fretnoise always seemed to be there for some close racing and trading places. 45 minutes in and we were split by about 4 seconds.

My strategy was less than ideal, saving fuel and using too many tyres overall, I can’t manage racing and maths at the same time, but using a low fuel mode to eek out an extra lap followed by full power qually laps before stopping meant I was defending or chasing hard for a lot of the race.  Loved it!

Synchronised moments for Badger and me. I proceeded to spend at least 10 seconds trying to find reverse, and then another 10 seconds trying to find anything except reverse, before the game took pity and reset me. 

D452A55F-692F-40B6-AB3E-72F3CE683937.thumb.jpeg.8ef14210923f6fa266bd3b892955a467.jpeg

Kiroquai chasing Badger chasing me.

1B20D262-3123-4236-A30E-5419F023CE40.thumb.jpeg.4b474fa51e98f95c8b5c478087dca442.jpeg

Love these races. Just amazing :wub:

I dunno why but I just got totally in the zone last night, just felt like I could smash in lap after lap the same despite being fairly close to the limit. I think the Lexus helped, such a dream car to drive once you get off the hard tyre. I think maybe doing all my practice on the hards helped actually. Or maybe the double G&T and beer I had before the race :hug:

Quali was a bit of a screw up though, I backed off too much get space and was too close to a pack behind so had to park inside the last turn, then accidentally hit Badger braking late into turn 1 :doh: I thought if you pressed start and put it into Auto Drive it would ghost the car?

16 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Been doing a few mental sums for the endurance race tonight.

I reckon the final lap count will most likely be somewhere between 55 and 60 laps, and based on my own pace in practice I would expect the quick guys to start lapping me somewhere between lap 10 and lap 20. I'll probably end up about 5 laps down by the end.

Obviously this is all conjecture. Just putting it here in advance so I can see afterwards how close I was :D

Oh and as for those blue flags - I'll do my best to stay on line and be predictable :) 

^^^ This turned out to be almost exactly how our race went. I finished +4 laps with 53, @morcs made 57, and he passed me for the first time on lap 14 (for me) / 15 (for him).

I was five or six seconds off the pace all night. My best lap was a 1:35, the FL (also morcs) was a very low 1:30, almost 1:29.

I love these endurance races far more than sprint races. I don't mind being at the back at all.

Ahh that 1:29 was bugging me, every time I realised my first/second sector was good for it...I'd just slightly over-drive it in the third sector, or realise I was on an in-lap :doh:

Yeah @morcs you were doing things with your car that I just couldn't do. Think your best lap was a 1.30.0 which I saw and just laughed at because it was well beyond what I could manage :lol: - I think late in the race when I dialled the engine back up and slapped on new tyres I got a high 1.30 but that felt like an absolute banger that I couldn't repeat, let alone improve on.

Like everyone, I was learning on the fly with the strategy yesterday. I spent three stints at the start of the race on the soft tyres, and didn't even try double-stinting the supers until the last 30 minutes of the race... at which point I realised I should have been doing it all along! I also discovered at some point that the difference between mix 1 and 2 on my fuel settings meant (for me) about an extra 1-2 laps per stint at a pace that wasn't too bad in comparison.

@beenabadbunny couple of times I came across you on track you were driving very nicely and allowed me enough room to move on past (even that time you admitted you'd just gone off rather than it being you making room :lol:). Later in the race it took me a good while to catch you up and even after I'd gone by you stayed in my mirrors for the next few laps. Glad that you had as much fun as the rest of us :).

Thanks @kiroquai:)

I've been watching a fair bit of GT racing, both sprints and endurance (thanks in part to @Jashin, who pointed out that the whole 2019 Blancpain series is on YouTube, and also stuff like the Porsche documentary about the back-to-back 24h races at Le Mans and Nürburgring) and one thing that jumped out at me is that the slower guys stay on-line and make the faster car do the work to get the pass done. Blue flags are advisory, not compulsory like in F1.

So for this race (and in future) rather than diving out of the way on purpose my game plan is just keep going and don't do anything unpredictable.

Barring the odd accidental track excursion, I think the only really notable exception last night was when I dived in front of @davadvice1 (fighterdj) on the main straight. I suddenly panicked and thought I had to box, only to realise that I was on 1.1 laps of fuel, not 0.1!

Good to be back last night even if it was just for the 9 lap sprint at Autopolis. Apologies to Effective_Tripod, i think it was my love tap on Corranga that ultimately sent him and his lovely Guiness Atenza flying into the gravel on lap 3. 

I remember at Autopolis when you asked if I also had the Kevin Estre Manthey Racing livery!

My brain: ERROR 404 GT RACING KNOWLEDGE NOT FOUND ABORT ABORT

Me: 'I like yellow and green'

Turns out the specific livery I was using was the Manthey 2018 Portimao 24 Hours livery :sherlock:

23 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

Barring the odd accidental track excursion, I think the only really notable exception last night was when I dived in front of @davadvice1 (fighterdj) on the main straight. I suddenly panicked and thought I had to box, only to realise that I was on 1.1 laps of fuel, not 0.1!

No worries Bunny, I was taking it easy at that point in the race and as usual with racing when you simply relax you faster. I enjoyed it last night got a good bit of rhythm going and was quite pleased when I was being lapped it was able to keep the leaders in sight for quite a bit of time.

Technically I overtook @morcswhen he pitted and he had to overtake me again once I pitted a few laps later.

Although I tried to save a bit of juice at the end coasting and on level 6 and nearly took him out whne he lapped me the second time as the blue flag warning seemed late until I realised I had slowed to a 142, woops. 

53 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

I remember at Autopolis when you asked if I also had the Kevin Estre Manthey Racing livery!

My brain: ERROR 404 GT RACING KNOWLEDGE NOT FOUND ABORT ABORT

Me: 'I like yellow and green'

Turns out the specific livery I was using was the Manthey 2018 Portimao 24 Hours livery :sherlock:

Worst part was, I'd misidentified it (saw the colour scheme at a glance out my left side as I passed you in the pits) and it wasn't even the same one I had on! They were both Manthey, same colours but different designs.

206A5088-7720-4BBA-A69D-53854AACEA69.thumb.png.e7ccd3f8a42534b6e3c2d93272a69ba1.png

538426E3-DB63-4B1E-B7BC-9A3291C38FE7.thumb.png.f3cb502a5a7c519e53518e4088ce058d.png

Which I didn't realise until I'd already been out and changed...

...to a livery that DID clash with someone else on track. :headdesk:

I was looking at the leaderboards for one of the time trials the other day (don't think it was one of the dailies, might have been the Mazda around Nordschleife) and I happened to click through to the driver profile of the player with the #1 time in the world.

He had a little bit of blurb that said "Old-school DS4 player. D-pad steering, X and Square accel/brake, L2/R2 shift".

Can you imagine? THE FASTEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

I was looking at the leaderboards for one of the time trials the other day (don't think it was one of the dailies, might have been the Mazda around Nordschleife) and I happened to click through to the driver profile of the player with the #1 time in the world.

He had a little bit of blurb that said "Old-school DS4 player. D-pad steering, X and Square accel/brake, L2/R2 shift".

Can you imagine? THE FASTEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

That’s mad. After literally thousands of hours playing racing games until analogue controls and triggers came along, I always played like that. I never used anything else until more recently when it wouldn’t work in more SIM games like this and Dirt Rally. Even now if I play a racing game on pad I use face buttons for accelerate and brake. Old habits die hard.

To do that in this game though is pretty insane. It’s like when you see people finish Dark Souls using a Rock Band drum kit and all that kind of craziness 

It's been like that in GT for some time. I recall top players saying in the GT5 days (over 10 years ago) you could definitely gain 1.5 seconds of average lap time by using a wheel, but over the years I've heard about more people even being among the quickest using a pad.

Then again, this guy in GT Sport may also be trolling :)

I'm certainly quicker on wheel than on pad, EXCEPT when I make a mistake and lose the back end.

I find it much harder to catch a slide with the wheel than I do on the pad, where the "dab of oppo" seems to come much more easily. Instead on wheel I always seem to overcorrect, spin the OTHER way and end up facing 6 o'clock.

Fortunately it's happening less and less often as I generally improve.

Someone mentioned in the Party B chat last night that this is one situation where TC really hinders you in this game. With TC=0, apparently you can keep your foot in and more effectively drive 'through' that kind of wobble.

1 minute ago, morcs said:

Recovering from a full spin/grass/gravel is horrendous on wheel too.

I had a couple of those early in the Fuji race after going too deep at turn 1 and hanging my left wheels out on the Astroturf at the outside.