Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

This Monday we'll be doing another 90 minutes online endurance race in GT Sport, using Gr. 2 cars around Fuji Speedway :)

Fuel and tyres will be kept under the wraps until the lobby opens, as per usual, to keep the playing field level.

Of course, everyone is welcome to participate!

Yeah, track tutorials are a pretty good place to get to grips with the circuits :), and you'll get to sample a wide range of different cars too.

I spent lunch running around Fuji in a Gr2 to get a feel for it. If all the cars feel like this Raybrig NSX then we're going to end up like Popeye after the race as the handling is super, super heavy.

cadbf7a0-b22c-11ea-9e99-06185eb08d42.thumb.jpg.eceb12d0dad73ef53f0d6673d8fcb397.jpg

29 minutes ago, Ry said:

So my copy arrived any tips to get set up for racing with you guys or any tips in general?

So I started about 2 or 3 weeks back when I bought my first (well, sort of, other than the official x360 MS one) wheel, though I've owned the game from launch so have played before on a pad, just not played it in about 2 years..

First thing I'll say is, if you have an existing, old save that you want to continue using (as I did), and the game isn't giving you a prize car from the roulette (daily workout) after driving 26.4 miles everyday, decide if you prefer free cars each day, or your existing save.  It's a bug, there is no way to fix it other than wiping your save and starting again.

The internet will tell you you can get it to pop by going into this menu or that menu, but you can't - that's a different bug where the game needs the server connection refreshed or something.

You then get anecdotes about how people don't want their 36th Gr.3 Alfa 4C, fine for them, I don't have 1 as I've chosen to stick with my old save, and no gift cars...

Next, get some credits to buy some cars.

I've Raced with Rllmuk (that should be a TM..) twice now.  You'll want to keep an eye on this thread and pick up cars as appropriate.  You might win some of those from championships, or circuit rewards or whatever.

Someone will be along soon to recommend some cars, but it'll include the Go Kart, Datsun 240z (that doesn't come under Nissan), I think the Red Bull Junior?  Maybe the AE86 if we plan to use them again (which we should...), something in Gr.2, 3, 4... (see below)

Do the Track tutorials for 4 reasons:

You finish 1, you get a decent amount of credit for buying cars, for little time.

You finish them all for a track, you get a car.

You learn the track.

You can sort of judge yourself against friends, though keep in mind many may have done this right at the beginning.

Do the other training bits:

Again, this seems to be decent for easy credits and gift cars, but it also drags a little for me, as some is really easy, and loading times are annoying, I dip in and out.

Do the daily races qualifying:

It's basically a friends list time trial, it changes every 2 weeks, you can race against randoms if you like post qualifying.

Try the online (Sport mode) time trials:

This lets you try out a car you might not own, but might then want to buy.

Sign a contract with a manufacturer:

This gives access to specific online race FIA championship, but more importantly, gives you a Gr3 and Gr4 car at no cost.

Liveries are well hidden

Go here and log in

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/discover/latest/carLivery

search by car and add to collection.

In the game, go to "home" get in the car, then you should find the livery selection bit.  It's convoluted, it's a pita, but liveries are cool.

Single player campaign is obviously good for practicing too, though I find I don't really want to do a lot of what's on offer, so pick and choose.  The early races are a bit easy too.  You unlock harder by leveling up.  Don't be put off by stupid tracks, like the 5 mile long straights oval...

Avoid rally / rally cross at all costs, it's crap.

Finally, embrace the jazz

9 minutes ago, Freeman said:

So I started about 2 or 3 weeks back when I bought my first (well, sort of, other than the official x360 MS one) wheel, though I've owned the game from launch so have played before on a pad, just not played it in about 2 years..

First thing I'll say is, if you have an existing, old save that you want to continue using (as I did), and the game isn't giving you a prize car from the roulette (daily workout) after driving 26.4 miles everyday, decide if you prefer free cars each day, or your existing save.  It's a bug, there is no way to fix it other than wiping your save and starting again.

The internet will tell you you can get it to pop by going into this menu or that menu, but you can't - that's a different bug where the game needs the server connection refreshed or something.

You then get anecdotes about how people don't want their 36th Gr.3 Alfa 4C, fine for them, I don't have 1 as I've chosen to stick with my old save, and no gift cars...

I've Raced with Rllmuk (that should be a TM..) twice now.  You'll want to keep an eye on this thread and pick up cars as appropriate.  You might win some of those from championships, or circuit rewards or whatever.

Someone will be along soon to recommend some cars, but it'll include the Go Kart, Datsun 240z (that doesn't come under Nissan), I think the Red Bull Junior?  Maybe the AE86 if we plan to use them again (which we should...), something in Gr.2, 3, 4... (see below)

You finish 1, you get a decent amount of credit for buying cars, for little time.

You learn the track.

You can sort of judge yourself against friends, though keep in mind many may have done this right at the beginning.

Again, this seems to be decent for easy credits and gift cars, but it also drags a little for me, as some is really easy, and loading times are annoying, I dip in and out.

It's basically a friends list time trial, it changes every 2 weeks, you can race against randoms if you like post qualifying.

This gives access to specific online race FIA championship, but more importantly, gives you a Gr3 and Gr4 car at no cost.

Liveries are well hidden

Go here and log in

In the game, go to "home" get in the car, then you should find the livery selection bit.  It's convoluted, it's a pita, but liveries are cool.

Single player campaign is obviously good for practicing too, though I find I don't really want to do a lot of what's on offer, so pick and choose.  The early races are a bit easy too.  You unlock harder by leveling up.  Don't be put off by stupid tracks, like the 5 mile long straights oval...

Thanks for all the info. 

I take it for any races we have here I will need to buy the car that's viable?

Is there not like a "loaner" option or something when starting a multiplayer race. 

Also, when do we find out what we are racing?

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

Is there not like a "loaner" option or something when starting a multiplayer race. 

There are 2 main multiplayer modes - lobby races and daily races.  Lobby races are the more traditional idea where someone starts a server, chooses a track and maybe some car limitations, and away you go.  You need to own the car in these races.  This is what we do on Monday nights.

Daily races are set by the game and change every week (they used to change every day, hence the name...).  There are 3 different races, and one of them is usually in a provided car (where you can't use your own car, even if you want to...

As @Freeman says, you can also sign a contract with a manufacturer, and this gives you a loaner GR3 and GR4 car from that manufacturer.  Those cars get added to your garage and you can't chop and change them for each race.

36 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Finally, turn the bloody jazz off!

FTFY :) 

1 hour ago, marsh said:

@McSpeed happy to host the slightly chaotic lobby 2 if needed.

Excellent, I think we'll need that again. Let's meet up online again at 7:45PM to set up the lobbies in unison, then see how many pop up.

26 minutes ago, Freeman said:

You learn the track.

Liveries are well hidden

Go here and log in

Great post :D I'm quoting this one for the first post!

16 minutes ago, Ry said:

Thanks for all the info. 

I take it for any races we have here I will need to buy the car that's viable?

Also, when do we find out what we are racing?

First off, I've just added you on PSN and the PS chat group we have :)

Yes, you will need some cars to join in the online racing. Take @Freeman's excellent tips to heart. When you can afford them in-game, by all means get:

- Mazda Roadster Touring Car

- Red Bull Junior

- Gr. 4 (for free with Car Manufacturer Contract)

- Gr. 3 (for free with Car Manufacturer Contract)

- Gr. 2 (prioritise this after your initial training if you'd like race with us this Monday night - can be found under Brand Central, the big Japanese makes have them)

- Polyphony F1500-T

We often decide on cars to use for a Monday night a few days in advance (like with the Gr. 2 now) and sometimes over the course of the night.

We always check if all involved have a suggested car so no-one has to sit one out for that reason :)

It's been covered upthread a bit, but just to repeat: the first time you insert the disc, you will need to do an awful lot of downloading to get the game up to the latest version. Best to get started as soon as possible as it takes a while (and it's actually in three stages: downloading, copying, then finally installing).

I think you can play a very small slice of Arcade mode (like one or two cars on a single track, or something) while it's catching up.

Another couple of things came to mind...

More or less all of the single player game is grid starts but in multiplayer you’ll come across 2 different types of start too.

Rolling start, easy, just pin the throttle and pray it doesn’t start you in the middle of a chicane.

Static grid start with penalties. You need to hold the brake then let it go / accelerate. If you jump the start, you’ll get a time penalty. Just keep driving and worry about the penalty later. My first ever was in the Rllmuk AE86 race last week, I got a little flustered and fluffed it, backed out, panicked and, well basically became a mobile chicane then a torpedo in the first 300 yards of the race, screwing everyone else up a bit..

Also, tyres and fuel. Again, most of the single player game ignores these, until you hit endurance races at level 30 or something, but you can go to arcade and do a custom race and turn them on. Good for practicing driving a car with more work tyres, which is something I’m working on at the moment.

I did a bit of practice for Monday this afternoon by running the Fuji endurance race in Campaign.

It’s a Gr3 event, not Gr2, but I figured it would still help me learn the course, as well as giving me a bit of practice with fuel and tyre deg. I did it in a Gr3 GT-R.

Jumped straight into the Gr2 GT-R for a few time trial laps right afterwards, and wow. Gr2 cars are monsters aren’t they? I immediately took a full ten seconds off my best lap time in the Gr3.

Tomorrow I might try the same experiment with a Gr3 NSX. The 440,000 prize money is pretty nice. 

So, I’ve had a couple of sessions with the G29 / Playseat combo now and coming from a much lower tech DualShock 4 / Sofa setup I can say it is just awesome.

I’m about 4 tenths faster than I was on the pad around Autopolis (though still way off the frankly incredible times being set by you guys), so very happy with that, and really looking forward to Fuji tomorrow night. In races the wheel lets you really *race* because you can make such small adjustments. I’ve made controlled, precise passes at T1 at Autopolis when I’d never have even tried on the pad, because the range of input you have and the feedback you get back means that it’s actually possible without just barrelling into the other guy. I’ve also found I’m picking up fewer track limits penalties which I used to get for misjudging my turn-in points and cutting apexes. On the pad, once you turn in you’re committed, pretty much. With the wheel, you can actually make corrections. It’s a revelation!

I was a bit worried about the PlaySeat to be honest. I’m 6’1” and, well, let’s say “not exactly svelte”. It’s snug, but I fit, and with the wheel platform adjusted to be as far away as you can make it, and the seat reclined a little bit more than standard, it’s more or less perfect. It’s really sturdy, but it folds away with everything still attached in a minute or two, and is small enough (when folded) to pass the Wife Approval Test. I had a pretty hefty session last night (well in excess of the 90 minutes we’re planning for Fuji) and the only complaint is my left ankle isn’t used to braking; I’d say that’s a problem with me rather than the setup.

In comparison, I’d have to have stopped much earlier if I’d been using the pad as my fingers start to cramp after a while. 

I suspect I’m probably preaching to the choir here, but it really is great. If you’re playing and enjoying the game with a pad, I whole heartedly recommend getting some kind of wheel setup.

Roll on Fuji!

I think I will need to withdraw from the race tomorrow. 

Just don't have the credits to buy a GT 2 car (and I haven't been able to practice that track as I'm too low a level)

I don't have time today to grind out money but I will see what I can do. 

11 minutes ago, Ry said:

I think I will need to withdraw from the race tomorrow. 

Just don't have the credits to buy a GT 2 car (and I haven't been able to practice that track as I'm too low a level)

I don't have time today to grind out money but I will see what I can do. 

Have a go at the track experience, circuit challenge or whatever it’s called??  The one with tracks broken down into the sectors then the full lap. helps learn the tracks and racks up credit pretty quick

I think I had a breakthrough using trail braking last night. I couldn’t work out why sometimes I’d oversteer on the way into the apex and hit it too early, while other times be bang on to hit the apex but then understeer wide.

Trail braking is definitely the key to going quick but it’s how and when you come off the brakes that either keeps the front loaded and digs into turn, or you pop off the brakes and the weight shifts off the front and you miss the apex. 
 Probably teaching the really quick guys on here what they already know or do naturally, but it feels like I’ve finally understood the mechanics of why I can be “accidentally” quick sometimes. 
 Something to work on

To see how everyone actually stacks up in Gr. 3 machinery around Autopolis, following the incredibly intense TT this week, we'll also be doing a short race with that set-up at 8PM tonight :)

After that, it's practice and one-shot qualifying for the 90 minutes of Fuji in Gr. 2 cars. Join the lobbies set up by me and @marsh tonight!

31 minutes ago, morcs said:

I'm half dreading 90 minutes of driving off the track sideways. Maybe I'll turn TC on

By all means do. I know you feel some cars in this game appear to use some form of TC even when you have it set to 0, but I'm still not fully convinced :) Hence driving a Gr. 2 car (or Gr. 3 for that matter) with TC set to 1 or 2 is still a really good way to go when seeking a realistic experience.

As regards the realism of it, I think it's great in principle to try and use assists that match what the real cars would have - so in our case, ABS and TC in the Gr.3 cars but not in the Gr.2, and so on.  

But in practice, I'm fine with leaving them on (albeit with a personal preference for ABS Weak and TC never above 2).

Joe has alluded to this already with regard to ABS compensating for a lack of pedal feel. In a real car you get all kinds of feedback that our meagre home setups just can't replicate.

Been doing a few mental sums for the endurance race tonight.

I reckon the final lap count will most likely be somewhere between 55 and 60 laps, and based on my own pace in practice I would expect the quick guys to start lapping me somewhere between lap 10 and lap 20. I'll probably end up about 5 laps down by the end.

Obviously this is all conjecture. Just putting it here in advance so I can see afterwards how close I was :D

Oh and as for those blue flags - I'll do my best to stay on line and be predictable :) 

I don’t think it’s possible without pedal feedback.

Just done some more laps and realised it was hard tyre + no TC that makes it particularly hard. Medium tyre and softer is much more manageable (until they start degrading I’m sure!)

13 minutes ago, morcs said:

I don’t think it’s possible without pedal feedback.

Just done some more laps and realised it was hard tyre + no TC that makes it particularly hard. Medium tyre and softer is much more manageable (until they start degrading I’m sure!)

Good thing we won't be using hard tyres :)

32 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Any protocol for which lobby we join? Or just a case of evenly distributing ourselves? :)

Past experience learns this works out by just calling on people to join the other lobby, and maybe asking a few more to ensure even-ish numbers :)