Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

Online racing for forumites and friends again tonight! Starting at 8PM UK time as per usual :)

We'll be racing various cars and tracks, starting of with a AE86 cup race. Get your Toyota Corolla Levin or Toyota Sprinter Trueno, which we'll upgrade to lvl 3 for maximum power and minimum weight!

Teaser:

Also, we'll do go-karting and have an aftertaste of Le Mans with Gr. 3 cars.

Join us tonight!

Noob question :ph34r: - do I just need to buy either Toyota and the server settings will sort the upgrading out for me? Or do I need to buy the car and then upgrade it myself?

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

My eye opener for the weekend was doing the circuit campaign / track learning mode at La Sarthe.  First time I've driven Le Mans in GT Sport anyway, and also the first time I've driven an LMP1 car in it.

I now believe there is a definite relationship between the speed of the car, and the rate at which I blink :ph34r:

For a giggle you should try it in the fictional Dodge Tomahawk VGT - the faster variant with all the movable aerodynamic surfaces. It gets up to something daft like 500 km/h on the straights. Even I can turn in a sub-3-minute lap of La Sarthe :blink:

1 minute ago, kiroquai said:

Noob question :ph34r: - do I just need to buy either Toyota and the server settings will sort the upgrading out for me? Or do I need to buy the car and then upgrade it myself?

(glad someone asked!)

1 hour ago, morcs said:

Yeah it's nice, the Circuit Experience at Spa uses it and is good fun as a broken down time trial in itself.

I love the Corvette too, from the way it drives, and the Lexus RC F, but those don't seem to be very popular.

Cars like the Viper and Huracan seem to need you to break things down more into corner vs straight whereas the ones I like I feel like you can transition more smoothly. Maybe I need to practice Viper-like cars more though. Or are folks using these cars running traction control maybe?

The GT-R isn't always outright quickest but it's a monster on the straights so is good in the races, I've had a few cases where I've caught their slipstream but they still drive away! The RC F needs you to be a bit more gentle on the throttle which does cause me trouble in races.

I haven't used half of the cars, but in my limited experiences - and thinking this might be interesting for me to re-read in a couple of months to see if I sound like an idiot :D

The Viper (used lots at Fuji) is really progressive and controllable, very easy to catch.  It felt a bit lardy though perhaps because of that.  The gear ratios seemed to suit Fuji well, which helped.  I was switching between TC off and level 1 during qualifying, and raising to 3 during the race as the tyres wear.  The induction noise on gear change comes from the exact right place as my centre speaker is right in front of my play seat!

Huracan - felt less lardy, but shorter gears meant I was struggling to simultaneously get the power down and keep it settled on the long flowing corner exits of Fuji.

R8 - a bit dull and predictable which is why I chose it for Spa last week - having never driven for 90 minutes in a row before.  It's used in the Brands Hatch circuit experience which is the first one I did, so feels like that old pair of trainers that you like more than you should, but deep down, know are a bit average.  

Ferrari - fun but always felt slow and dangerous, and a little like you wanted an egg on the throttle.

Porsche - only used in the circuit learning as I don't own it yet.  Seemed fun, and obviously should be promoted since the engine is in the right place...

I love that there is a nice range of cars that are all relatively comparable performance wise, allowing mixed grids.  Even to the end, the daily race was a nice mix of cars.

I think the main problem for people wanting to drive a Ferrari Group 3 car is that the 488 that subsequently replaced the 458 we use in GT: Sport is a pretty significant improvement. Not in the game sadly so we're a bit stuck with a car that was already showing its age by the time the game was released.

I like the theory that differences between cars in the game has any relation to difference between the cars in real life, but suspect it's not true :) Some of the cars act like they have traction control even when you turn traction control off.

That said, just the fact that the cars feel different is great.

Thanks for inviting me to race guys - was fun even though I was horribly, horribly rusty. The kart race was superb; I started 10th I think, a few ahead of me fell off and then I had a superb fight with @GwiDan and then a bit of a fight with a few others. Think I ended up 7th or 8th and just behind a gaggle of karts.

Other two races fit into the same pattern; didn’t get a clear lap in practice, then made plenty of mistakes at the start of the race. I was quite pleased with recovering to finish top ten in the Toyota race - Le Mans I just kept on making the same mistakes, and the Ferrari didn’t feel nice at all during the race for some reason. I managed to only lose about 3 seconds to the lead in the final stint though so there’s pace in there somewhere :)

Sorry to Corranga who I hit at the first chicane at Le Mans. Completely missed my braking point, sorry dude :(.

Here is my favourite shot of the night; me and GwiDan plunging through Paddock Hill side-by-side. Awesome.

005D56DE-8E84-4D78-B2A0-984F38BB86AF.thumb.jpeg.8b680c95f4952b55cacc0f7a3fc2680b.jpeg

Edit: oh, and had a great little battle with @beenabadbunny for a bit at Le Mans too! Some fun overtakes through the chicanes :)

6 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Thanks for inviting me to race guys - was fun even though I was horribly, horribly rusty. The kart race was superb; I started 10th I think, a few ahead of me fell off and then I had a superb fight with @GwiDan and then a bit of a fight with a few others. Think I ended up 7th or 8th and just behind a gaggle of karts.

Other two races fit into the same pattern; didn’t get a clear lap in practice, then made plenty of mistakes at the start of the race. I was quite pleased with recovering to finish top ten in the Toyota race - Le Mans I just kept on making the same mistakes, and the Ferrari didn’t feel nice at all during the race for some reason. I managed to only lose about 3 seconds to the lead in the final stint though so there’s pace in there somewhere :)

Sorry to Corranga who I hit at the first chicane at Le Mans. Completely missed my braking point, sorry dude :(.

Here is my favourite shot of the night; me and GwiDan plunging through Paddock Hill side-by-side. Awesome.

005D56DE-8E84-4D78-B2A0-984F38BB86AF.thumb.jpeg.8b680c95f4952b55cacc0f7a3fc2680b.jpeg

That’s an amazing picture! Thanks!

Great stuff tonight chaps. Loved it, even if I clearly have NO idea how to drive those Toyotas.

This was my first Monday on the new “B” rig, after getting barred from the living room following last week’s long Spa race. Swings and roundabouts - the spare TV is a big step down in quality, but the chair is a lot better so my back doesn’t hurt. 

Enjoyed the photo finish between myself and @davadvice1 at Brands. Think it was down to five hundredths at the line.

Same time next week? :)

3 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Le Mans :eyebrows:

congrats on the win but we already did a LeMans endurance....(not that it has anything to do with me not having any idea in GT3s at Lemans)

but yeah epic win dude nice one.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

No worries, at that point, as my first racing lap at LaSarthe I wasn’t entirely sure if I had hit the brakes way too early or not!

Great races, I fear the carnage start with the Toyotas was down to me, sorry everyone :(

2 bugged out starts saw me not moving, then for the third, with the reverse grid, I was at the front..

I didn’t hold the brake properly so got a jump start penalty (never done a grid start like that before!) so was trying to figure out what was going on, fluffed the start so was engulfed by the pack, then stuffed up corner 1 braking punting the car in front and I think starting the domino effect.  Then I didn’t have radar on so fumbled about trying to do that mid corner, and felt all flustered and spun a couple of times through the first lap.
The Toyota was frustrating for 5 laps then I realised dropping out if the lobby reset traction control to 3, turned it off and it was really fun.

Karts are ridiculous, but a slow and steady pace saw me do better in that race than the others. No accidents, driving past faster folk who were throwing it off,  some fun battles along the way too.

That Toyota race was pretty great fun. The third attempt to grid up put me 3rd, and I made a really good start and led up to turn one. In a car that handled a bit like a boat. On tyres made of soap. In my first proper race online since the RLLMUK F1 league ended in 2013. On a track I had only done a half-dozen practice laps on prior to our session. What could possibly go wrong :lol:

I ended up in the gravel at the exit of that turn, dropped about midway down the pack and then had the mother and father of all shunts at that deceptively difficult left-hander midway around the lap. Some laps through there the car would fly around it flat-out without a problem. Others it seemed like it desperately wanted to take a bite out of the wall on exit!

This put me last. Caught a few folks and made some nice overtakes that had me running 11th when Mexos had his incident on the last lap and I snuck a top ten out of it. By the end I was really settling into the car quite well I thought, but ran out of time to really do anything about it :)

10 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

Great stuff tonight chaps. Loved it, even if I clearly have NO idea how to drive those Toyotas.

This was my first Monday on the new “B” rig, after getting barred from the living room following last week’s long Spa race. Swings and roundabouts - the spare TV is a big step down in quality, but the chair is a lot better so my back doesn’t hurt. 

Enjoyed the photo finish between myself and @davadvice1 at Brands. Think it was down to five hundredths at the line.

Same time next week? :)

Yeah, lots of fun last night, I knew I would be close to you due to daily times I was seeing last week. 

10 hours ago, marsh said:

So, about next week then.....endurance race where?

Another vote for Fuji from me.  Yes it's got a stupid 3rd sector, but the times in last week's qualifying TT were amazingly close, again.  Everybody within a tenth or so of the next guy, and mexos was only 1.8% away from the top time.

(I'm a stats geek and Kudosprime is amazing... :))

That pitstop at Le Mans, was either going to be a stroke of genius or a total loss. Go big or go home. Had half a tank left and the clock suggested we were going to do another lap....:doh:

I'm not saying it kept me awake last night, but....

Anyway, that race in the Toyota's is the stuff of legend. The position change for second place with @Beezer on the last lap changed something like 4 or 5 times. Proper mental. I did think that coming out of the last corner I was going to get hit with a penalty for track limits but it was all very clean racing and very fair. Hugely enjoyable thanks @McSpeed

It's a great time to be into GT Sport, just when you think there are no stones left to unturn, Joe punts a Levin/Trueno race into the mix and we have a new ball to play with! and we haven't done MX5's for weeks either. Good times.

11 minutes ago, marsh said:

Anyway, that race in the Toyota's is the stuff of legend. The position change for second place with @Beezer on the last lap changed something like 4 or 5 times. Proper mental. I did think that coming out of the last corner I was going to get hit with a penalty for track limits but it was all very clean racing and very fair. Hugely enjoyable thanks @McSpeed

It's a great time to be into GT Sport, just when you think there are no stones left to unturn, Joe punts a Levin/Trueno race into the mix and we have a new ball to play with! and we haven't done MX5's for weeks either. Good times.

Re-watch this battle from 10:05 and move the last lap at 13:40 in the vid below :)

I’m going to post this here too because I love it: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef202bfded880ca088918e1fd97f774f.jpeg

It’s me, batmobile and marsh side by side by side flat out going into Indianapolis, and I don’t know how we didn’t take each other off. 

55 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

Very interesting races last night! Thanks for putting up with the AE86's - which were a bit of a gamble with the tuning and ancient driving characteristics, but I reckon they did produce a fun experience :)

Full race replay focused on highlights:

I know exactly what's happening in that thumbnail! That's me in 404 TOYOTA GENUINE PARTS attempting an optimistic wide line around T1. As I recall I was facing the wrong way in the gravel trap very shortly afterwards :lol:

19 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I’m going to post this here too because I love it: 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef202bfded880ca088918e1fd97f774f.jpeg

It’s me, batmobile and marsh side by side by side flat out going into Indianapolis, and I don’t know how we didn’t take each other off. 

Amazing shot and I'm pretty sure this all went well (like many amazing battles, save from occasional mistakes) because we've been racing together weekly for quite some time now, resulting in great insight and respect :)