Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

I seem to have spent the evening busting a gut to juuuust about beat @fretnoise on two of the daily race qualifying time boards (the Mini one and the GR3 one) - sorry :lol:.

Awesome game. Saved up enough credits to allow me to drive this car, with this livery and helmet combo. Pretty amazing really.

F02C9F72-25B9-4174-90C9-32E22780B912.thumb.jpeg.669d5c77dac6840e8c6f3b08876e6bf6.jpeg

:lol: it was bloody tough on both tracks - :hat: to you for those laps. The Dragon Trail one in particular had me sweating.

Had to laugh when I did the Mini at Goodwood. Spent ages whittling away until I did my 1.42.0, felt bloody proud of myself and then looked at the leaderboard and Marsh has done a 1.40.9! That's absolutely mad. I think I know exactly where I am losing the time (the St. Mary's left hander and the Lavant right hander that follows) so will try again later today.

Just wait till Mr Noble turns up. He usually pops in over the weekend and nonchalantly takes at least a second off the time I’ve been toiling over all week :)

I can’t settle on a car for Race B - the 911 seems most settled in the race, but the GT-R is so quick down the straights. I think the fact that I keep slightly improving my time in different cars suggests I’m still learning the track.

1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Had to laugh when I did the Mini at Goodwood. Spent ages whittling away until I did my 1.42.0, felt bloody proud of myself and then looked at the leaderboard and Marsh has done a 1.40.9! That's absolutely mad. I think I know exactly where I am losing the time (the St. Mary's left hander and the Lavant right hander that follows) so will try again later today.

I got something like a 1.40.3 optimal, but haven't been able to put it together. It's mostly about the right-hander halfway around that leads onto the back straight. You should stay in 4th all the way round except the chicane, and T1 is flat if you get the line right (turn in just before the last marker board and attack the white kerb on the right, even taking some grass) :)

I've had to switch to the Audi to compete wtih Pumpalicious on Sardegna, I'm sure he'll destroy me when he goes Audi too. It's an interesting one as it's all about managing hybrid charge.

3 hours ago, morcs said:

I got something like a 1.40.3 optimal, but haven't been able to put it together. It's mostly about the right-hander halfway around that leads onto the back straight. You should stay in 4th all the way round except the chicane, and T1 is flat if you get the line right (turn in just before the last marker board and attack the white kerb on the right, even taking some grass) :)

It's the bottom end of the track I struggle with, 4th and the car is on the bones of it's arse in terms of revs. 1.40.5 is my optimum, but it is all about stringing it together....

Yeah, same problem here - staying in 4th the whole way around is optimum but I just can't do so without the car either understeering like a bus or having the revs plummet. Guess I am going to have to experiment with different ways of loading the car up on corner entry at the tighter left/right around the middle of the lap as that's where I am losing most of my time.

34 minutes ago, morcs said:

I still use 3rd for the chicane at the end

I watched the guy who has the top time, difficult to tell if and where he's doing his gear changes....in car doesn't give much away.

Looking to join in on this too I've sent mcapeed a friends request. Hope I can get this wheel working for me quickly. 

My main issue is consistent laps some sectors are purple then I blow it. Recovery is quite a different experience when using the wheel takes ages or I'm heading too deep into the kitty litter. 

4 hours ago, marsh said:

I watched the guy who has the top time, difficult to tell if and where he's doing his gear changes....in car doesn't give much away.

there’s a setting on replays to turn on the full HUD

So I’ve been tackling the circuit challenges and decided to do the Nurburgring first because... er... I am optimistic? Anyway, I then discovered I had to do it in a BMW M3 GT3. Kind of felt like being offered the chance to see the Mona Lisa but then being told you had to do so through shit-stained glasses.

However, it’s great fun! Vastly too big and at points in cockpit you feel like you are looking at the sky whilst the track is somewhere underneath you, but I’m down to a 7:08 after a few tries. Just need to find 9 seconds to get the one-lap gold, which seems very achievable to me.

So yeah, hell froze over - I enjoyed driving a Beemer.

8D41FC5C-9455-4861-B4CE-A8BFE7D79F40.thumb.jpeg.a971defbdc067b73e5f98722aaa77570.jpeg

Follow up:

Just been on my lunch hour and popped back on to see if I could crack that Nurburgring full lap circuit challenge. My best time was a 7:08.2 - some 9 seconds away from the 6.59 I needed to upgrade my silver to a gold.

First half of the lap, I am comfortable with. The run up to the Karussell goes as expected, although I am particularly pleased with my run over the first quarter of a lap. Didn't feel like I had left much on the table.

The section after Karussell is much less familiar for me and I don't enjoy the flow of it nearly as much as the previous half of the lap. The M3's cockpit hardly helps with this section as it's a lot of crests and dips, which means occasionally you are having to point the car at thin air and hope the track's underneath you when the car's front end dips back down. Despite all this, I manage to hang onto the thing. Through mini Karussell I have a little sideways moment but I hold onto it and go barrelling down the long back straight. I glance at my time, mentally making a note of how long the final segment should theoretically take given the previous challenge's gold time on that little chunk. It's then that I realise I shouldn't have looked at the time. It's good. It's very, very good.

Despite suddenly feeling like I wanted to eject all of the fluids out of my body with nerves, I slam the Beemer through the left and right Hohenrein without as much as a lift. I manage to - slightly scruffily - slow the car down for the slow right-hander that follows, then scramble through the left and fling the car around the slow right hander to finish the lap. I mash the throttle pedal and stare at the time with a sense of desperation. No more I can do now and the run up to the line somehow feels like it is taking weeks to complete.

6.53... 6.54... 6.55... 6.56... 6.57...

Stop. For the first time on anything approaching a sim game, I had just broken the seven-minute barrier at the Nordschleife. I watch the car automatically glide down to turn one, then my gold medal pop up with the fanfare. I then realised I was actually shaking. Just shy of seven minutes of sheer concentration, no off-tracks, a mere handful of scary moments. Six minutes, fifty-seven seconds.

It isn't going to be anywhere near the fastest time a Group 3 car has achieved on the Nordschleife. I imagine I am probably almost a minute off of what aliens can do around this place. I don't care. That 417 seconds just completely justified the price of my sim gear and this game all by itself.

I just tried that one myself using my new wheel and stand (cheers for the recommendations) and I've as expected taken a step back. Using the controller I was at 7:06 and with the wheel I was 7:28 so not too far considering I binned it during the lap. 

I'm 10sec of the Dailly gr3 race time and I'm quite happy with that as I've only been using the wheel and manual gears for a few days. Some more practice and I should get back to if not better times than my controller. 

On 02/06/2020 at 18:15, mexos said:

If you play a little each day you'll get a free car anyway

Wait, what? How do you do this?

I’d that what the marathon thing is about? I’m not getting cars for it though...

4 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Wait, what? How do you do this?

I’d that what the marathon thing is about? I’m not getting cars for it though...

Drive a marathon length of mileage (around 42 kilometres) to get a spin of the car roulette with four random cars, of which you'll get one for free.

Your daily mileage is tracked at the top of the screen, make sure to return to the main menu after the session in which you hit the target to trigger the roulette. If it doesn't trigger, sometimes it happens the next time/day you boot the game.

And yeah, you can do this everyday :) Good initial way to build your car collection. (Until the point where you have 5 Scirocco's Gr. 4 standing around in your garage.)

Ah, think that’s affecting me too :(

Completed a few more Circuit Challenges and got majorly trolled by the reward roulette. On one there was a Silk Cut Jag Le Mans car. I got a Daihatsu instead, which was next to it. Next up I had the Porsche 919 on offer. I got a Renault Sport Clio, which again was right next to it :hmm:

Utterly loved doing the Le Mans challenge in the 919. Generally loving this game. Gutted I didn’t start playing it earlier.

3 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Ah, think that’s affecting me too :(

Completed a few more Circuit Challenges and got majorly trolled by the reward roulette. On one there was a Silk Cut Jag Le Mans car. I got a Daihatsu instead, which was next to it. Next up I had the Porsche 919 on offer. I got a Renault Sport Clio, which again was right next to it :hmm:

Utterly loved doing the Le Mans challenge in the 919. Generally loving this game. Gutted I didn’t start playing it earlier.

Yeah but you are here now! Plenty of life left in this old dog till PS5 and 7 comes along.

19 hours ago, kiroquai said:

It isn't going to be anywhere near the fastest time a Group 3 car has achieved on the Nordschleife. I imagine I am probably almost a minute off of what aliens can do around this place. I don't care. That 417 seconds just completely justified the price of my sim gear and this game all by itself.

Now do it in VR!

I have a racing etiquette question.

If I’m in front of someone heading into a corner, and they “send it” down the inside and we manage to get round the corner side by side (because I saw them coming and left them room on the apex), is it my responsibility to then cede the corner completely? I’ve had It happen a few times recently where me and the would-be dive bomber have come out side by side and they’ve basically run me off the track, or, worse, nudged me off track which usually results in losing another place, and sometimes a penalty for track limits as an extra kick in the balls!

So, I know the game struggles with penalties and so on, and I know randoms will do anything to get the place, but what’s the rule in real racing? If I’ve not quite lost the place yet (we’re still side by side) should I back out to avoid contact, considering I’m at the track limit, whilst the other guy has the whole rest of the track he could use if his throttle wasn’t pinned? Or should I be able to simply exist on that line and expect the other guy to give me space?

For the sake of argument, let’s assume our exit speeds are the same, due to us both having compromised lines through the corner. 

(Basically, am I allowed to get cross with these guys?)

All the time you have to leave a space.

If you’ve left the door open even slightly and someone has managed to get alongside in the braking zone, dive bomb or not then I’d say you need to leave space. Danny on Kimi at Monza is a great example. I try my best to do this when you know someone is now there and it’s a legit move, so they can continue alongside you.

If they’ve dive bombed into a wedge, locking up or with massive over speed then the responsibility is on them not to make contact. But I’ll try and get out the way anyway because most of the time you can get them back straight away because they are offline.

On 03/06/2020 at 21:23, marsh said:

My time had me starting near the back, you just sit back and watch people fall off the road.

I'm ahead of my kudos prime time so I'm happy with that.

This had me interested. “Kudos prime time” ??

not really used that website for much other than looking at my DR but there is loads on there. “Kudos Prime time” being the time you need to beat to improve your K rating means it’s a great yardstick to judge your own times against your own historical performance. Also can see your region ranking- told you I did a 203.9 at Lago Maggiore last week! 
 What’s the best anyone has done? 796th was mine at Autopolis, think it was FF Gr4 so nothing to be really proud of....DB463327-46CA-4D49-B18C-594BB58FBFDC.jpeg.969f8d002fdfd7e7c3afed92f4c94341.jpeg

I don’t agree about dive bombers. My understanding of etiquette is that you should be along side someone before the turn in point if you expect to be given space, otherwise the car in front is entitled to take their usual racing line and the car following should give up the position and fall in behind. 

57 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I don’t agree about dive bombers. My understanding of etiquette is that you should be along side someone before the turn in point if you expect to be given space, otherwise the car in front is entitled to take their usual racing line and the car following should give up the position and fall in behind. 

Yeah I tend to agree but I’m more of a bike racing fan. Being alongside before turn in is the generally accepted rule, and not running people off. It ALMOST polices itself as generally a rear wheel will normally win against a front wheel of the come into contact. Also the danger of being run off the track means all riders understand what is at stake.

GT Sport on the other hand... if you scroll back up the thread a couple of weeks I posted a YouTube video of the bus stop at Spa and I got rammed off and I got the penalty! Doesn’t exactly give a reason not too. 
 Last point - compared to Forza and most other console racing games I can think of over the years GT Sport suffers a lot less from rammers and full sends.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

All the time you have to leave a space.

Agreed. But case in point this week is the Dragon Trail Gardens left hand hairpin. It’s at the end of a decent straight so people are often closing but not really alongside before the braking point, but it’s clear they’re going to make a move for the inside. So you go a bit wider, leaving plenty of space at the apex, but that already puts you off line, to the right of where you’d normally be, and struggling to maintain pace and stay on track. You’re aiming to put a tyre or two in the rumble strip on the outside, giving your opponent as much room as possible... and then he clatters your door handles, essentially pretending you weren’t there. He’s made the corner because you gave him room at the apex, and he’s maintained speed on the exit because he’s used you as extra turning power.  He gains a place, and you’re in the gravel, possible with a track limits penalty to boot.

I absolutely don’t have a problem giving them space at the apex, but in return it’s up to them to give me space at the exit, isn’t it? I can’t just cease to exist. 

1 hour ago, Junker said:

Also can see your region ranking- told you I did a 203.9 at Lago Maggiore last week! 

Ahh, dammit. My 2:05.1 is there for all to see too. I must’ve done my faster time on a mate’s account. He goes to a different school, you wouldn’t know him. :D

My best qualy result was 651st on 26/11/2017 (!), on an unknown track. Not got anywhere close since...