Gran Turismo Sport | Monday Night Racing Club: every week @ 8PM UK

McSpeed

I  just don't get this... it's a really awesome handling model. 

But why does it keep giving me cars for my garage? I haven't figured out a single use for them yet... I'm not being facetious, honestly, what's the point? Where can I use these cars? - and what's the point of buying them? - is it all just for multiplayer?

I dunno, coming in off the back of Driveclub / Forza to this feels like I'm playing a demo... where's the game here? 

9 minutes ago, amc said:

You can use them in the arcade single player races. Oh and while you're here @Strangelite this and Wipeout Omega are my sure fire show off games to dazzle friends with what Pro and 4K HDR can do to your eyeballs.

I should really buy a Pro and a HDR telly shouldn't I? ;)

I never tried the arcade races.. that was the only thing I didn't do last night.. Hmmm.. maybe I have missed something! :D

I have GT Sport, a Pro and PSVR but....I haven't even tried the VR mode yet. I suppose I'm waiting for my gadget to let me play my wheel on my PS4. That or I'm a little scared of donning my helmet again after an overlong Driveclub VR session that left my head spinning for several hours. Is that song he's using in that vid even in GT Sport? I know it's in Horizon 3 lol

1 hour ago, amc said:

I have GT Sport, a Pro and PSVR but....I haven't even tried the VR mode yet. I suppose I'm waiting for my gadget to let me play my wheel on my PS4. That or I'm a little scared of donning my helmet again after an overlong Driveclub VR session that left my head spinning for several hours. Is that song he's using in that vid even in GT Sport? I know it's in Horizon 3 lol

It's the biggest disappointment for me it's like split screen mode has been quickly adapted for VR. It doesn't even count towards your EXP iirc. It does look nice but I really had hoped for something more than a token side mode :( Hopefully like GT6 they will patch in more support later. Such a missed opportunity it could have been a game changer for PSVR.

That sounds a bit disappointing but I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it. And yeah here's hoping for GT6 style meaty embellishments. I came to 6 almost three years after release and from what I'd read the release I had was choc full of downloadable stuff. All included in patches, and free. Tracks, cars, events etc etc, I may be  misremembering but I think I even downloaded the last update that was released, years after launch. Really good game and a little under appreciated I think. Anyway I hope PD pull another 6 and we get a shit ton of stuff down the pipe. Just hope they haven't been swayed with the way a lot of content is getting sliced up and served as veritable shit sandwiches of paid nonsense of late.

This game could be a brilliant base for a really full experience. (I'm not grumbling with that, I think there is a lot of content here already, but after 6 I'm hoping for even more)

12 minutes ago, amc said:

That sounds a bit disappointing but I'm sure I'll get some enjoyment out of it. And yeah here's hoping for GT6 style meaty embellishments. I came to 6 almost three years after release and from what I'd read the release I had was choc full of downloadable stuff. All included in patches, and free. Tracks, cars, events etc etc, I may be  misremembering but I think I even downloaded the last update that was released, years after launch. Really good game and a little under appreciated I think. Anyway I hope PD pull another 6 and we get a shit ton of stuff down the pipe. Just hope they haven't been swayed with the way a lot of content is getting sliced up and served as veritable shit sandwiches of paid nonsense of late.

This game could be a brilliant base for a really full experience. (I'm not grumbling with that, I think there is a lot of content here already, but after 6 I'm hoping for even more)

I have it on good authority that there will be significant DLC updates for GT Sport, what I don't yet know is if they will be pay for content or free DLC like it was on 6. I'm hoping the latter as they they made good money just selling in game credits on GT6.

Another evening of blood sweat and tears trying to scrape a few tenths over my best time in Sport mode. I was being regularly placed in 2nd with a big gap over the rest of the field, but there was always someone who was just marginally faster. i thought if I could just improve a fraction, I'd get the pole.

Somehow I did it little by little, got my qually lap up by 4 tenths overall,  but every time I improved my matching group just got harder. So I started the evening qualifying in 2nd, and after improving my own time I wound up qualifying 8th and worse.

That sort of thing really does take the wind out of your sails. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I reckon it's my reliance on AT that's holding me back - I really need to learn to use MT if I want to stand a chance. I expect that would also just drop me in a faster group again though.

6 hours ago, Strangelite said:

I  just don't get this... it's a really awesome handling model. 

But why does it keep giving me cars for my garage? I haven't figured out a single use for them yet... I'm not being facetious, honestly, what's the point? Where can I use these cars? - and what's the point of buying them? - is it all just for multiplayer?

I dunno, coming in off the back of Driveclub / Forza to this feels like I'm playing a demo... where's the game here? 

Career is a bit overrated anyway really...

"HERE HE/SHE IS...YOUR TEAM DRIVER WHO WILL START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK TO THE TOP!"

Then proceed to do 200 races with faster and faster cars and more and more laps.

The info that you get in a typical career is mostly kept in the museum but yeah...they could have tied it in better - then you might actually read that info whilst the track was loading rather then just not bothering.

That said...WHY CAN'T WE SAVE SINGLE PLAYER RACES?!!!!

GRRR!

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

Another evening of blood sweat and tears trying to scrape a few tenths over my best time in Sport mode. I was being regularly placed in 2nd with a big gap over the rest of the field, but there was always someone who was just marginally faster. i thought if I could just improve a fraction, I'd get the pole.

Somehow I did it little by little, got my qually lap up by 4 tenths overall,  but every time I improved my matching group just got harder. So I started the evening qualifying in 2nd, and after improving my own time I wound up qualifying 8th and worse.

That sort of thing really does take the wind out of your sails. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I reckon it's my reliance on AT that's holding me back - I really need to learn to use MT if I want to stand a chance. I expect that would also just drop me in a faster group again though.

Definitely start using MT dude, it might take a while to get used to it but you soon learn what gears you can take corners in and it does become second nature, I made the switch during our forum Driveclub challenges and never looked back. It's a shame they don't have similar challenges in GT sport really, Driveclub pushed the envelope as far as challenging mates go but nothing beats the pure online racing of GT Sport, it's cracking.

Feel free to add me, PDogg.

14 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Career is a bit overrated anyway really...

"HERE HE/SHE IS...YOUR TEAM DRIVER WHO WILL START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK TO THE TOP!"

Then proceed to do 200 races with faster and faster cars and more and more laps.

The info that you get in a typical career is mostly kept in the museum but yeah...they could have tied it in better - then you might actually read that info whilst the track was loading rather then just not bothering.

That said...WHY CAN'T WE SAVE SINGLE PLAYER RACES?!!!!

GRRR!

Hello Dimahoo

I dont have the game in front of me but i am sure i have saved arcade races and career test/races. If the save replay option is not in the top left area then click exit once and you should now have the replay option (on the screen where you can restart, move onto the next challenge etc), start replay and hit the red record button in there. 

I think thats right. Have a look at my profile I have uploaded arcade and test races i think.

Just installed v1.03 patch. Just says bug fixes as far as I can see. EDIT" Patch notes mention fixes for wheels and the DS4 so hopefully fixes that thing I've seen mentioned about throttle on the pad.

As an aside I went back for a little dabble with 6 on my PS3 last night. Thought I'd mop up the golds at Goodwood. I mentioned in an earlier post in the thread about playing 6 not so long ago. In my mind and even at the time a short few weeks ago I thought it looked pretty damn good. Not a million miles behind Driveclub and the Forza's of this gen. Well I don't know whether it's down to playing Sport or what but my god it looks a lot worse than I remembered. Still nice but Sport is a clear indication of how much better the PS4 is than the old PS3. PD squoze every last drop of juice from the machine with 6 but it looks so rough coming from Sport at 4K HDR. Still plays a good game but it was definitely a shock coming off of playing Sport.

Another change in the Dailies. The N200 is an oval, so I'm using that track to take PDoggs advice and learn how to use MT when there aren't too many corners to worry about. I think I'm glad I did it already, as I was able to knock about 5 tenths off my AT time. Bit confused as to why short shifting the same corner sometimes gives a huge speed advantage, and sometimes it doesn't. Lots of 2nd places again, always one faster driver matched up with me.

Unfortunately the servers appear to have lost any chance of staying connected. I was able to complete my first race, and every attempt afterwards saw me "disconnected due to data loss" either during the warm-up or as soon as things got a bit heated during the race itself.

Results is my B/B rating has dropped to C/D, and I am still short of any more poles or wins.

5 hours ago, amc said:

Just installed v1.03 patch. Just says bug fixes as far as I can see. EDIT" Patch notes mention fixes for wheels and the DS4 so hopefully fixes that thing I've seen mentioned about throttle on the pad.

As an aside I went back for a little dabble with 6 on my PS3 last night. Thought I'd mop up the golds at Goodwood. I mentioned in an earlier post in the thread about playing 6 not so long ago. In my mind and even at the time a short few weeks ago I thought it looked pretty damn good. Not a million miles behind Driveclub and the Forza's of this gen. Well I don't know whether it's down to playing Sport or what but my god it looks a lot worse than I remembered. Still nice but Sport is a clear indication of how much better the PS4 is than the old PS3. PD squoze every last drop of juice from the machine with 6 but it looks so rough coming from Sport at 4K HDR. Still plays a good game but it was definitely a shock coming off of playing Sport.

Ha my rose tinted specs have fond memories of the glorious graphics in GT6 clearly it's best left alone. However it will be a long long time before a GT game matches it for content so it definitely one I'll return to.

I was trying to complete online races. The arcade mode was still available, but that's not what I wanted to play.

Incidentally, a public service announcement - if the network seems unstable and you value your SR, cut your losses and do something else. I guess the rating lags a bit because when I logged in this morning my SR had dropped to an all time low of E.

Did one race against the early risers which netted me a pole, but I've lost a second of pace since last night somewhere and I only kept the lead after the 2nd place guy didn't line up his pass and tapped me on the bumper. It wasn't strong enough to impact SR so I got the clean race bonus which took me back to C/C. 

Man SR can really be punishing. Trying to overtake players you are quicker than but everytime you try and pass they ram you and you get negative SR cnts... Had two races ruined tonight by people who will ram if you pass...

Made up for it with some last to 5th on the n200 race. Didn't get to many 'bumpers'. 

Probably you hit 'qualifying time trial' instead of race entry. If you do the former you just set endless qually laps until you quit.

Met a total douche in sport mode tonight - I started 2nd on the oval, took a lead in the second lap which I clung onto until the final lap, at which point I start approaching a back marker to lap them (lap them?? In a 4 lap race?) He was coasting along in a straight line and as I passed on the right he veered into me in an attempt to take me off. He spun off to the side and ghosted, I lost control but kept it going forward - scrubbed off loads of speed so the chasing pack came right up behind me - I just planted myself right to get a nudge forward and held on to the lead.

I'm not sure if that guy was acting on behalf of a friend who was contending for the win, or if he was just a twat. Hopefully I'll get my SR back up and avoid these people (although his SR improved after the race).

^Maybe he/she forgot to look in the mirror ? (too obvious ?)  

Hosted Mount Panorama for a few matches last night and was pleasantly surprised that the 18.15 or 20.15 option (final time of day option) actually meant it was dark as night. Was practice driving my pretty standard (no power/weight upgrades) GT86 and quickly fell behind. The brake lights flashing up and fading somewhere close or distant in the darkness, occasionally broken up by trees or billboards was absolutely spectacular. 

Skipped GT6 so don't know if Lago Maggiore and Alsace were in that but i absolutely love these tracks in Sport. Will take a lot of practice to master some of them. 

God, the full Nürburgring 24hr circuit. I've only tried against intermediate and professional AI, but it's great. There are one or two long stretches where the curves are too gentle to bother slowing down for, and so you're haring along at 130mph fighting against your instincts to slow down to a more sensible speed. I need to try that in VR...

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

Probably you hit 'qualifying time trial' instead of race entry. If you do the former you just set endless qually laps until you quit.

Met a total douche in sport mode tonight - I started 2nd on the oval, took a lead in the second lap which I clung onto until the final lap, at which point I start approaching a back marker to lap them (lap them?? In a 4 lap race?) He was coasting along in a straight line and as I passed on the right he veered into me in an attempt to take me off. He spun off to the side and ghosted, I lost control but kept it going forward - scrubbed off loads of speed so the chasing pack came right up behind me - I just planted myself right to get a nudge forward and held on to the lead.

I'm not sure if that guy was acting on behalf of a friend who was contending for the win, or if he was just a twat. Hopefully I'll get my SR back up and avoid these people (although his SR improved after the race).

I definitely did race entry and it happened again.

Do you have to sit in the lobby waiting for it to start?

Let's see, I think after I hit race entry, that's when you select the car - it then shows a big graphic of a stopwatch and says you can do qually laps until it starts. At that point you either sit on that screen waiting until start time, you go to qualify (always worth trying to improve your time) or you cancel your race entry. As long as that line of yellow text is at the top you'll go to the matching screen after the timer ticks down to zero. Sometimes it waits a while on 'preparing to match'.

I'm really enjoying this now. Sorry @McSpeed I couldn't join last night, I got kicked off the telly by the missus. I'll be around this weekend for some more. 

I've had to put on a little ABS and traction because I just can't get the lap times to race enough with everything (inc stability) turned off. I popped them on (low) last night and suddenly I'm blazing through the field and loving it! I'll keep turning them off for any single player and maybe I'll eventually get good enough to turn them off again and be up there.