rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Pockets

PC PES spin-off?

With PES finally getting the proper version on PC this year I was wondering if anyone else was planning to get it and fancied a spin-off league or competition? Or even just put your Steam names down for a few matches when it's out in September. I'm remjohn on Steam.

I've never really played much online as I don't have PS+ but obviously I'll be able to on PC. Hopefully it will play well, they're doing betas for the consoles, not sure about PC but maybe it's better there anyway.

I just don't think many people in this thread will bother with it to be honest mate ^_^

I personally will get fifa for the PS4 and maybe for the Switch (though not definate). Just for me 1 football game is more than enough so I don't bother with the PES games anymore.

2 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

That's a bold statement that gooner :lol:

And I thought you wasn't getting 18 @Luseth??:lol:

I keep telling myself and everyone I won't but the reality of it is that I will most likely succumb just so I can play some fifa with you pig.... Though I do think you should drink more alcohol when it's a league game, I reckon it could be extremely comical :D

Didnt they give some sort of PES away for free this year at some point? Still didnt play it. (I could be making that up...)

PES is dead, RIP m8.

At least they will go down as having the best football game cover of all time yo.

51JG3RQ1KBL.jpg

Or maybe...

100317-international-superstar-soccer-98

• Upvote 2

I don't really get the 'PES is dead' comments. I don't believe in defending games as I really don't have personal attachment to them, beyond thinking it would be a shame if the only decent football game disappeared.... :ph34r:

Seriously though, I get that I'm posting in the FIFA thread and that those comments are probably a bit tongue in cheek anyway but surely it's good to have competition. I'd love for FIFA to be the best football game as it has all the licenses and surrounding snazz but it just isn't. It was for a while but I think since 2014 it's been terrible. I won't go into why as it's just personal opinion and I don't expect to convert anyone.

Apparently PES is very different this year but you do hear that every year so who knows? I'd recommend at least trying the demo but I suspect most of you would do that anyway. I always try FIFA out but still have an issue with the control scheme requiring 3 or 4 inputs for basic functions and everyone twiddling their way along with right stick spins.

I wasn't going to get any football games this year after barely touching them over the last season but then we got promoted and my inner 12 year-old needs to play games with a Premiership Huddersfield Town.

I've pre-ordered both on PS4 to try out, but will probably then sell them on and buy whichever I prefer digitally on PC (provided PES isn't a total shitshow on PC).

TL;DR - I might end up being able to play with you, Pockets.

30 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I don't really get the 'PES is dead' comments. I don't believe in defending games as I really don't have personal attachment to them, beyond thinking it would be a shame if the only decent football game disappeared.... :ph34r:

Seriously though, I get that I'm posting in the FIFA thread and that those comments are probably a bit tongue in cheek anyway but surely it's good to have competition. I'd love for FIFA to be the best football game as it has all the licenses and surrounding snazz but it just isn't. It was for a while but I think since 2014 it's been terrible. I won't go into why as it's just personal opinion and I don't expect to convert anyone.

Apparently PES is very different this year but you do hear that every year so who knows? I'd recommend at least trying the demo but I suspect most of you would do that anyway. I always try FIFA out but still have an issue with the control scheme requiring 3 or 4 inputs for basic functions and everyone twiddling their way along with right stick spins.

Ah PES can only be good for competition though Konami can't throw the same kind of money at it as EA do with fifa. Knowing that Fifa has the larger portion of the market means that they don't feel the need to sort out the many many many bugs that fifa has these days. But ultimately most people stick with fifa because that's what their mates get and play. It's going to be very tough to break that cycle I think.

I can't see PES being the one to do it, but sadly it's probably incredibly expensive to make a start up game that could compete on any level with either of the 2 games, so new games coming in to encourage competition just simply won't happen.

That said I probably won't try the demo. I think I prefer PES at the moment just because there are so fewer buggy / bullshit type moments but it's the fact I will know 0 number of people that play the game. The only people I really play football games with are those on this forum though tbf and if it wern't for the pro league I'd be tempted to ditch the football games altogether ^_^

I can't see it happening but if you can get enough people together for a potential league I'll consider getting it alongside fifa and see if it can give me a reason to switch.

Yeah, I suppose I always forget how online focused everyone is these days and that I'm the odd one for not being so. The licences are an issue of course, though on PC that will be taken care of even better than it is on PS4. I agree that PES will never come close to FIFA's success but it doesn't really need to. It still sells enough every year to justify its existence and turn over a decent profit. To say PES is dead is a bit like saying Samsung should give up because they're not Apple, or some far better analogy.

@Rsdio PES is meant to be the same as PS4 on PC this year (finally), and they've even said it will be the best version. Not sure if they mean because of all the mods that are possible or if it's got some extra graphical stuff.

Aside from what’s already been mentioned, I simply don’t have time to invest in one football game never mind two, on two different formats. 

Otherwise, I concur and have been saying it for the entirety of this gen: Pro Evo is dead.

The franchise is at least 5 years behind FIFA and that gap is only widening. It’s a shame that Konami continue to flog it, those resources could be better used elsewhere (post Kojima or expanding Power Pros). In the last few years I’ve suggested the model should change, recent efforts have shown that to be sage advice, though at this point, I’d give up on it entirely. It’s only in existence still to prevent EA from having a complete monopoly.

I don't want to get into a FIFA vs PES argument, I think you should just choose whatever you prefer, but the idea that only the one you like should exist is kind of odd. I think FIFA is a terrible game the last few years. It's become a videogame with a football theme rather than a football game. There are so many convoluted controls that you need genuine videogame skills to play it - maybe some people like that. I dunno, I won't go into one because it's just my opinion and people can rightly criticise all the things they don't like about PES but I'm a little surprised that people at least appear to be actively against it like it's a bad thing. That seems strange.

I do think you can get into the mindset of one or the other which is why I always try to check them both out every year to see if FIFA's improved. I can maybe understand how if you're so locked into one it's hard to appreciate the other with the difference in control and other factors.

• Upvote 2

PES is dead because Fifa is a very very good football game and it also has all the licences.

Back in the PS2 days I only played PES, intact I'd played it since the ISS and ISS Deluxe days on the SNES, but now it just doesn't come close.

i always buy PES out of some sort of ingrained loyalty, but at it's core you don't have the same freedom as you do on Fifa and it's netcode is far from perfect which is what leads to the majority of fifa's issues.

6 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

If PES is 5 years behind FIFA, the future of football games is utterly fucked.

Totally agree, I got Fifa 17 for free and I still felt ripped off.

The last PES game was pretty good really, though admittedly it wasn't great online but I only really care about single player these days.

Pockets is right - we need two (or more) games to stop either one of them from stagnating, whichever you prefer. The game playing catch up will ideally put focus in areas that then get adopted by the other, even if it's not under threat. Right now, PES is pushing AI, FIFA is going to follow suit (according to recent interviews about FIFA 18) because it improves the game. When PES was king, FIFA pushed presentation, which PES... ok, that one's not really panned out.

One major game means only one team really working on the genre. That'll diminish the impetus to reinvent things and explore what is and isn't working. 

Pro Evos decline started a long time ago! Going all the way back to the last Gen. I think it was PES 2008 where this forum made the switch, due to the poor online play.

And that it where it has well and truely shot itself, if you cant get something as basic as an online 1v1 match work then you are done. The vast vast majoirty of people play football games to play them online. And year after year of it continueing not to work has just seen the original fanbase hemorage and move over to Fifa. (And Fifa has improved in the same period of time with additional features like 11 v 11 and Fifa Ultimate Team, its also improved as a football sim.)

And people here saying even last seasons version of PES didnt work properly online, that is just shocking.

The launch figures for 2017 versions where something like Fifa outselling PES by 40/1, even though PES reviewed really well and thats the reason, I say its dead, and by dead I mean its a ghost town, no one (the brave few) is playing it and now, the only way it will recover as a genuine competitior is if Fifa well and trully implodes and completely botches its online play for a substatial period of time, which you cant see happening due to the cash monies that flows through it, espesially with Ultimate Team and all the money they get from Gooner.

Its very fair that you moan about the input on Fifa becuase I have just had a moan, and had that same gripe when coming across the top top players who use the advanced moves very well but to say you cant play the basic game without a 3 or 4 button input is wrong, it really isnt the case. I am perfectly competative without it at the moment dipping in and out of the top division.

It is a shame that Fifa is so far ahead because PES 2018 could be the best football game the world has ever seen and it still wont get close in terms of a draw because of the poor performance over the last 10 years whereas Fifa have been pretty much solid performers.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Steely said:

espesially with Ultimate Team and all the money they get from Gooner.

:lol: Even if everyone switched to PES the sales wouldn't be able to match what gooner pumps into fifa :D

• Upvote 2

I hate the online focus. This forum league aside, I couldn't give a fuck about it, and it's let the single and local multiplayer stagnate. Bloody shut-ins. :P

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Steely said:

Pro Evos decline started a long time ago! Going all the way back to the last Gen. I think it was PES 2008 where this forum made the switch, due to the poor online play.

And that it where it has well and truely shot itself, if you cant get something as basic as an online 1v1 match work then you are done. The vast vast majoirty of people play football games to play them online. And year after year of it continueing not to work has just seen the original fanbase hemorage and move over to Fifa. (And Fifa has improved in the same period of time with additional features like 11 v 11 and Fifa Ultimate Team, its also improved as a football sim.)

And people here saying even last seasons version of PES didnt work properly online, that is just shocking.

The launch figures for 2017 versions where something like Fifa outselling PES by 40/1, even though PES reviewed really well and thats the reason, I say its dead, and by dead I mean its a ghost town, no one (the brave few) is playing it and now, the only way it will recover as a genuine competitior is if Fifa well and trully implodes and completely botches its online play for a substatial period of time, which you cant see happening due to the cash monies that flows through it, espesially with Ultimate Team and all the money they get from Gooner.

Its very fair that you moan about the input on Fifa becuase I have just had a moan, and had that same gripe when coming across the top top players who use the advanced moves very well but to say you cant play the basic game without a 3 or 4 button input is wrong, it really isnt the case. I am perfectly competative without it at the moment dipping in and out of the top division.

It is a shame that Fifa is so far ahead because PES 2018 could be the best football game the world has ever seen and it still wont get close in terms of a draw because of the poor performance over the last 10 years whereas Fifa have been pretty much solid performers.

I agree with all the points you make and can see why, from an online viewpoint, people view PES as dead. I've just never been into online particularly so that's probably why I don't see it that way, the opposite in fact. PES is a much better offline game than FIFA - the actual game is better. Of course, if you want to play people online I guess FIFA is the only option. PES are running an open beta this year to try to improve the online funtionality but I guess even if they make it perfect, the majority of people will still be on FIFA so again, I get your point.

FIFA's online stuff just doesn't appeal to me at all though. I like playing the odd match against someone but random FIFA players are notoriously awful people so outside of friends or people on here I'm not sure I'd bother - I know that I don't in fact. When I have played PES online I tend to find the players are a little less arsey - maybe you have to be more of a purist to be playing PES if that doesn't sound too snobby, I dunno.

I get that I'm in the tiny minority but I like a decent single player 'campaign' like Master League or Manager mode and a good local two player game. It would be nice to have occasional online games which I'll do with PES on PC (don't have PS+) but beyond that I'm completely averse to the FUT/MyClub thing. I can see how you have way more opportunity for multiplayer games with FIFA but the single player side of it is pretty bad. I suppose they don't really need to bother when most people want online action.

Maybe PES is for older people. 

• Upvote 1

I quite like the FIFA single player stuff. Granted it doesn't play as well as the older Pro Evo's (nothing beats the orginal ISS Pro Evolution in my opinion) but the various manager and MyPro modes are decent.

FIFA does have all the tricks and flicks but you really don't need to be any good at them to succeed (I should know as I suck at them).

Oh and I'm pretty old too.

• Upvote 1

Pockets the average PES player online is a dick as well, turns out people just act like dicks when they feel they deserve to win and lose.

It feels mildly better to play vs the AI on PES, but overall I think a lot of it is scripted, if I had no internet for a day or 2  I'd play the journey on Fifa rather than master league these days.

Online beta is out this Thursday. Free, don't need PS+ apparently, do need gold on Xbox.

Only Brazil and France to play as, they're saying it's very much to test and sort out the online gameplay rather than an actual demo which will come later.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Luseth said:

You haven't given up on us yet have you @Pockets :D

Nah I'll give it a go and we can see where it's at these days

I don't really expect to convince anyone - football games are like politics and religion these days. However, I am optimistic about the game. They say similar stuff about improvements every year but some of the specific details they've mentioned are things that I know have been annoyances for people on here. Gooner has mentioned before about the 'on rails' feeling he gets from PES and they've said a lot about increased freedom and an overall looser feel so I'll be curious to see how that plays out.

To be honest, I think this beta might be a bit of a disaster but it should at least give a small taster of the gameplay. I'll probably reserve any judgement for the proper demo in August. There have been lots of videos from events they've had, they seem confident enough to let people play and record whatever they want with no embargoes which is encouraging. To me though, I can see no difference from last year's game but everyone who's played it says it feels dramatically different.

2 hours ago, Pockets said:

I don't really expect to convince anyone - football games are like politics and religion these days. However, I am optimistic about the game. They say similar stuff about improvements every year but some of the specific details they've mentioned are things that I know have been annoyances for people on here. Gooner has mentioned before about the 'on rails' feeling he gets from PES and they've said a lot about increased freedom and an overall looser feel so I'll be curious to see how that plays out.

To be honest, I think this beta might be a bit of a disaster but it should at least give a small taster of the gameplay. I'll probably reserve any judgement for the proper demo in August. There have been lots of videos from events they've had, they seem confident enough to let people play and record whatever they want with no embargoes which is encouraging. To me though, I can see no difference from last year's game but everyone who's played it says it feels dramatically different.

Believe me, I'd love nothing more than for PES to be the king again.

Same, I prefer it too, if I'm honest. I played loads of it when I was out of BAP for a couple of years.  I agree that offline, it's much better than FIFA.  But the online functionality, especially on PC, was fucking woeful.

I timed it once, after I'd had a few G&T's and fancied some online games.  Over 6 games, the average time to kick off from pressing 'search' was....nearly 6 minutes.  6!

Also, I don't think I could play 2 football games at once.  My old addled brain and ingrained muscle memory would just lead to stupid decisions.

Has anyone tried the beta? It's clearly unfinished but when you get a decent game it shows a lot of promise. I recommend changing connection level to 5 just before you hit matchmaking. Only just discovered that. 

More thoughts in the discussion thread.