October is kind of silly, isn't it.

Moz

5 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Compared to all of the interesting and awesome games we got in the first half of 2017, that's an extremely uninspired and disappointing line up.

That's the point, they're mostly vanilla big hitters. The type of shit people who don't buy games very often buy every year. The problem only gets worse for you and I if we include all the indie games, early access releases and DLC for earlier games releasing in October too.

1 hour ago, NEG said:

Don't worry guys, Sonic Forces doesn't have a release date and may yet release in October to compete with Mario.

Sonic Forces is literally the poster child for modern SEGA. They somehow completely miss every criticism of modern sonic, then proceed to fuck him till his tight little hedgehog ass bleeds blue

7 hours ago, NEG said:

Don't worry guys, Sonic Forces doesn't have a release date and may yet release in October to compete with Mario.

Despite the fact that it is cool to hate sonic games on forums, I have enjoyed every 3D sonic game I've played (haven't played 06 or Boom).

If Forces is similar to Generations I can safely predict I will get more enjoyment out of it than every shoot/stab mans in the face game on that list .

Obviously Mario Odyssey will be lightyears ahead of any sonic game.

I've never been a 'hardcore' gamer if it's defined by some peculiar need to absolutely play the 7th, 12th, 19th sequel/update/rebirth of every game franchise that's still shitting out games after 10-15-20-25 years. 

I'm usually out at the first/second sequel in 4 years, I don't know how people here maintain the desire. 

17 hours ago, mushashi said:

Start of the Christmas buying season, more people buy games as gifts at that time, same reason Hollywood films generally tend to arrive over a certain period of the year, the so called 'Blockbuster' season. If you want to sell shitloads of product, the few months before Christmas is generally the best time to put out product, the market tracking stats would back that up.

But just like films, not everybody will win.

Always seems to be a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy to me; the films make more money then because it's when all the good stuff comes out! Then I end up going to the cinema three or four times in May/June after having not been since about February cos there was fuck all on, but equally end up not seeing another three or four films I would have watched in the dry period, simply because there's now far more good stuff on than my maximum cinema budget allows for!

12 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Yakuza Kiwami along with Everybody's Golf makes August.

Don't forget Sonic Mania & Uncharted as well. What a killer month - better than October for me personally

everybody who mentioned the word Yakuza got possed yo

Will still be clearing a backlog by October... if I can get it down to less than five games near the end of the year, then I might* buy a Switch.

*will buy within a 24 hours of Mario Odyssey coming out and getting mad jelly of everyone enthusing about it...

Elex and Wolfenstein here.  Not enthused by many of the autumn releases this year but Crackdown 3 should be good, even without the X factor if it retains the same magic of kills for skills.  Also Divininty Original Sin 2 is out in mid September.

18 hours ago, clippa said:

We need a "what is a `hardcore` gamer" thread and maybe a poll, but I reckon "people who buy the homogenised, watered down, seventh instalment in the franchise of that once interesting and innovative game" would be way down the bottom of the list.

My post is terribly put, I couldn't think of another way to say it and ran out of time. I hate the term hardcore, really. Most AAA games are as you describe, yet doesn't stop people creaming themselves over them in anticipation and making threads about how this is the greatest 4 months in gaming ever etc.

On 02/07/2017 at 11:20, MrPogo said:

Always seems to be a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy to me; the films make more money then because it's when all the good stuff comes out! Then I end up going to the cinema three or four times in May/June after having not been since about February cos there was fuck all on, but equally end up not seeing another three or four films I would have watched in the dry period, simply because there's now far more good stuff on than my maximum cinema budget allows for!

To be fair, the Hollywood Blockbuster season has become a bit more extended since the modern invention of the thing back in the 1970s (thanks Spielberg!), though you'd think, considering the Big 6 Hollywood studios are effectively a cartel, like OPEC, they'd just get together and plan out a release schedule to not cannibalise each other, which I suppose they sort of do as-is. The big game companies might be better off doing the same too.

On 02/07/2017 at 11:31, Down by Law said:

Don't forget Sonic Mania & Uncharted as well. What a killer month - better than October for me personally

everybody who mentioned the word Yakuza got possed yo

Mario vs Rabbids too.