rllmuk
JohnC

True Detective - Season 3

21 hours ago, Capwn said:

Two episodes in, good so far. Question, what IS True Detective? My partner asked me the other night and all I could say is something like "It's a crime drama but with some super natural elements?". I only said super natural because of the end of season 1. I know the 3 seasons are separate stories but are they related at all? I guess they are in the same 'world' but are there any other connections?

What IS True Detective as a concept?

It’s about the two detectives.

Really enjoying the score for the third series. It's a shame that scores like this often end up unreleased or (in the case of S1) on limited edition vinyl releases only.

I'm now 100% we've met the killer(s?)/kidnappers already and that we're mostly following red herrings

Speculation below

Spoiler

It's got to be Haye's wife and the weird Church, right?

Her murky past back West that she alludes to but we've yet to hear any detail about. Her outright avoidance of discussing her parents when asked and her constant deflection through sex.  Her subsequent success through the tragedy. I think she was the one luring the kids to the woods. I don't know why yet. I think she got close to Hayes to keep an eye on the investigation - she's always pumping him for info, then did the same to the Mum - and then, unexpectedly, fell for him. All the while controlling him.

The black guy with the one eye? He's in the frame but why? Because the Creepy Old Lady who made the Dolls herself said so. She's lying. Where did they get the link to her? The Creepy Priest who has the posed pic of Will on this wall. I don't know what the connection between the two threads is yet but it's there, I'm betting on it.

• Upvote 1

During season one, my Dad went "it was him" the second the killer popped up on screen for the first time, and that was that. 

5 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I'm now 100% we've met the killer(s?)/kidnappers already and that we're mostly following red herrings

Speculation below

Hide contents

It's got to be Haye's wife and the weird Church, right?

Her murky past back West that she alludes to but we've yet to hear any detail about. Her outright avoidance of discussing her parents when asked and her constant deflection through sex.  Her subsequent success through the tragedy. I think she was the one luring the kids to the woods. I don't know why yet. I think she got close to Hayes to keep an eye on the investigation - she's always pumping him for info, then did the same to the Mum - and then, unexpectedly, fell for him. All the while controlling him.

The black guy with the one eye? He's in the frame but why? Because the Creepy Old Lady who made the Dolls herself said so. She's lying. Where did they get the link to her? The Creepy Priest who has the posed pic of Will on this wall. I don't know what the connection between the two threads is yet but it's there, I'm betting on it.

That's a juicy theory,

Spoiler

Though True Detective has never been about shock reveals has it? Would seem out of character, it's probably just someone we've not seen yet. Though your theory plays into the time/dementia stuff, it's like Hayes at one point found out but then forgot. 

Really enjoying this. I'm less bothered about the mystery so much as just luxuriating in how good it all looks while enjoying Mahershala Ali and Stephen Dorff sparking off one another. Ali's good in everything, so you kind of expect it from him but Dorff is a revelation, and I don't think an Emmy nod would be out of the question. 

• Upvote 2

I love this, I was one of the few who quite enjoyed S2 but that was New Coke to this season's classic recipe. I like how Hays is increasingly dislikeable as we see more of him in particular.

• Upvote 1

On 05/02/2019 at 00:13, SteveH said:

I think this has the best old person make up ever.

Dorff is a little too extreme/pronounced. The long haired kid transformation was proper amazing, incredibly natural looking.  Of course it's all in the manners/body language too of which Mahershala Ali is especially brilliant with.

Yeah this is great, I'm surprised by how little it's getting mentioned elsewhere. 71 on Metacritic. 

Am I right in thinking the peep hole wasn't actually a peep hole but a hole to pass notes through?

12 hours ago, Fargo said:

This is fantastic. 

Hide contents

What do you reckon the dad saw in the basement? 

Spoiler

My guess is pictures of his daughter through the years. Whether she was kept in the pink room against her will or if she was a prisoner is another matter. Seems a bit unclear at the moment.

23 minutes ago, DirkCrisis said:

Reveal hidden contents

My guess is pictures of his daughter through the years. Whether she was kept in the pink room against her will or if she was a prisoner is another matter. Seems a bit unclear at the moment.

Spoiler

I was thinking with all the hunting memorabilia she might be mounted on the wall. 

21 hours ago, wullie said:

My favourite part was Tom's howl with his head in his hands when he's being questioned under suspicion, that was so raw. Fantastic episode.

Scoot McNairy is generally underrated but I think most Halt and Catch Fire fans would agree. Really enjoying where they've started taking his character in the last few episodes. The way the atmosphere in that room turned ("It's not a request") was heartbreaking, especially when you could see him grasping toward West as a friend and getting a steely look in return.

• Upvote 2

So there's only one episode to go, right? This series doesn't really feel like it's ramped up that much even though I've enjoyed every second.

There seemed to be a spoiler for who's playing Hoyt in the end credits of the latest episode

Spoiler

Michael Rooker.

I was just thinking, it seems likely that Hays' daughter is dead. It was made to seem as though she was estranged earlier in the season but of course his son could just be sparing reminding him that she's gone every time he mentions her. The show made a point of showing how close the father and daughter were in the university scene, which was from a time period not shown before. Not sure it's connected to the wider mystery but it fits thematically.

I’m not sure how they can wrap this up if there’s only one episode left. Last nights episode was enjoyable but I was disappointed we never got to see what the father saw at the end of the previous weeks episode. 

Hmm, am sure it was left a mystery for the finale. What I think will generally happen next week,

Spoiler

Gets shown the pink room. Has something done to him that causes memory loss.

I need to rewatch the scene where they spoke to the maid:

Spoiler

Is it a given that the girl she was talking about is the missing girl? Or another victim?

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

I need to rewatch the scene where they spoke to the maid:

Hide contents

Is it a given that the girl she was talking about is the missing girl? Or another victim?

Spoiler

She wasn't talking about any missing girl, was she? She was talking about Hoyt's daughter, who lost her husband and own daughter to a car crash. 

Where I think we're at according to what we've been shown so far...

Spoiler

Hoyt Snr, through Mr June and the Cop/Head of Security, arranges to buy Julie Purcell from her Mother/Cousin.  Julie's Mom we've already seen thought that "children should laugh"  and had obv convinced herself that it would be best for the kids. Somehow the boy is killed by accident in the woods. Julie is "raised" in the Pink Rooms. I am unsure if this was a peadophile type situation or one where she was locked up with a crazy new "mom"; Hoyt's daughter. Either way, in 1990, something happens, she escapes and takes up with the other runaways. Julie's Mom attempts to get renegotiate the deal and gets killed for her trouble. Same as her cousin. 

What we've not been shown but I think we will see...

Spoiler

Hoyt Snr on the television. Someone needs to be the "the man on tv pretending to be my father!" and I don't see it being Tom Purcell himself. I assume if he's a big deal in the area - Hoyt - then he'd be on Tv at some point.

Or maybe it's the AG.  He was at the podium at the press conference, so was on-screen alongside Tom but I don't know how that ties to the Hoyts. He was keen to shut down both investigations asap. And the True Crime host laid out the paedophile ring with powerful men connection to S1. He fits that profile.

• Upvote 1