rllmuk
JohnC

True Detective - Season 3

Should just ditch it, even if it was amazing the series would always be difficult to recommend as a whole because of season 2. Though I guess they are pretty much standalone series so maybe it could work. Not sure how to feel about a season 3.

On ‎01‎.‎07‎.‎2017 at 21:17, Pob said:

As much as season 1 is clearly the superior piece of work, I think I'd actually prefer to watch season 2 again. 

I think I agree. I started rewatcing the first season and, with the mystery gone, all that remained was pure nihilism and depression. Couldn't finish it.

S3 can't come soon enough.

Stephen Dorff! Also Carmen Ejogo.

It's apparently a mystery in the Ozarks which deepens over three decades, with the show playing out in three time periods.

Ali is a police detective from Arkansas. Dorff is an Arkansas state investigator. Ejogo is a schoolteacher with a connection to two children who went missing in 1980.

Watched the first episode, feeling it. Like the three time periods and the overlap technique, hoping I adjust to the main guys mumble as the show goes on. Getting more season one vibes than season two, which is a good thing. Music is very atmospheric. Not sure all the smoking is good for my New Years resolution. 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed it, the timeline 'trick' is becoming quite prevalent now with a lot of shows taking an otherwise linear story and chopping it up to make it harder to follow - that said I really quite enjoyed how it makes you pay attention and piece little bits of the story together. 

The mumbling dialogue is a bit hard to follow at times, and I've got some pretty decent speakers and don't normally struggle.

The lead cop performance is pretty good, especially the scene in ep1 when he was off doing his recon thing in the woods

Some of the ageing prosthetics for the most recent timeline dialogue don't hold up to lengthy close ups on a 65" screen.

Yep, mumbling has been a real issue for me as well. 

Feels more like season 1 and the revelation at the end of the first episode was fantastic. Episode two though was really hit & miss and I found parts of it quite dull. There’s only eight episodes so there’s surely no room for filler. Stephen Dorff is surprisingly good. I haven’t saw him on screen for a while.

I was disheartened when they brought in the 

Spoiler

Paedophilic 

storyline, seems like that’s the big bad in every drama show recently. Hoping True Detective is aware enough to make it a red herring. Dorff is turning out to be very good in this, some great subtleties in his friendship with the main cop, liked the racial tension scene in the car in epi 2 and how he was the outsider during the interview with the trash man. Very refreshing stuff.

5 hours ago, skittles said:

I have no idea where this is going.

Any guesses?

Spoiler

Hayes wife is the killer. He has enough info to deduce that but the dementia is keeping it from him.

Two episodes in, good so far. Question, what IS True Detective? My partner asked me the other night and all I could say is something like "It's a crime drama but with some super natural elements?". I only said super natural because of the end of season 1. I know the 3 seasons are separate stories but are they related at all? I guess they are in the same 'world' but are there any other connections?

What IS True Detective as a concept?

It's about dudes solving crime over a really long period of time. Well, the first and the third are. The middle one is about a really good gun battle in the middle, Taylor Kitsch dealing with his sexuality and something about Bohemian Grove.