EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

On 13/08/2017 at 15:04, diddlydennis said:

Oh dear oh dear. 

Guess that's what happens when you form a new back 3 based on 4th tier German players and leave your only goalscorer on the bench. 

Who would've thought? 

Wheeeeeeey!!!! 

We're gonna win the fucking league! 

Yeah, brought right back down to earth today.  The referee was atrocious by all accounts but listening to the people whose opinions I respect who went to the game, Cardiff won because they were the better side.  We were Warnocked good and proper.

12 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah, brought right back down to earth today.  The referee was atrocious by all accounts but listening to the people whose opinions I respect who went to the game, Cardiff won because they were the better side.  We were Warnocked good and proper.

Yep, well done to Cardiff.  We probably needed that, hope we learn our lesson.

Two away games this week, then the international break, which is probably a good thing.

I don't really care about the cup game, but can't wait for Brentford - I managed to get a ticket for that one and I can't wait!  Hopefully we can learn from today and get another 3 points.

Gutted about today but 9 points from 12 is still way more than I expected with the fixtures we've had.

25 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I don't really care about the cup game, but can't wait for Brentford - I managed to get a ticket for that one and I can't wait!  Hopefully we can learn from today and get another 3 points.

Gutted about today but 9 points from 12 is still way more than I expected with the fixtures we've had.

Ah I really wanted to go to Brentford as I've not been there before, I live in London, and I was hoping to pick up Kurupt FM while I was there.

Unfortunately I'll be busy with something that day.

Agreed, I almost wish we'd had lost to Yeovil, don't care for the cup this season.

You're right, 9 from 12 is a great start.  Brentford away might actually be a perfect game for us to bounce back as they tend to play football.

9 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Great game today - absolutely immense performance from Ipswich. Our squad is paper thin with injuries and illness; our starting 11 included four full backs and four strikers. Still, got to enjoy it whilst it lasts. 

What a signing Waghorn was!

3 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Ah I really wanted to go to Brentford as I've not been there before, I live in London, and I was hoping to pick up Kurupt FM while I was there.

Unfortunately I'll be busy with something that day.

Agreed, I almost wish we'd had lost to Yeovil, don't care for the cup this season.

You're right, 9 from 12 is a great start.  Brentford away might actually be a perfect game for us to bounce back as they tend to play football.

Brentford is a good day out - good pubs and good stewards. Based on today, they play too much football - just checking the stats they had 65% possession but didn't really do anything with it. Given our make-shift defence they should really have just ran at us, played it behind the back-four, anything really other than nice neat intricate passing, which we just stood back from and then just tackled / blocked when they actually got anywhere near the goal. It really was an immense performance by every single player - such a change from last year's half-arsed crap.

Crystal Palace on Tuesday - God only knows what sort of team we'll put out; youth team I assume as we can't afford to play any first teamers given how threadbare the squad is. 

16 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Brentford is a good day out - good pubs and good stewards. Based on today, they play too much football - just checking the stats they had 65% possession but didn't really do anything with it. Given our make-shift defence they should really have just ran at us, played it behind the back-four, anything really other than nice neat intricate passing, which we just stood back from and then just tackled / blocked when they actually got anywhere near the goal. It really was an immense performance by every single player - such a change from last year's half-arsed crap.

Crystal Palace on Tuesday - God only knows what sort of team we'll put out; youth team I assume as we can't afford to play any first teamers given how threadbare the squad is. 

How did Iorfa do today?

Just saw the ref was awful to us today, and he is Welsh.  As there are only two Welsh clubs playing in England, it seems a little wrong to me that he officiate Cardiff games.

I wouldn't usually complain, and it sounds like the best team won, but I've heard Wolves players were elbowed, pushed, and stamped on without punishment today.  Don't know if that's true though.

Edit:- From NES:

Specifically on the Damour/Saiss incident Nuno added: "Yes he should have been sent off, there's no other kind of interpretation.

"I saw an elbow on the neck of Saiss. The ball was not there."

That's disappointing if true.  I don't mind losing, but sounds like Cardiff went too far and the ref let them.

Shouldn't be surprised from a Warnock side really, but the ref has to stand up to it.

20 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

How did Iorfa do today?

Played well again and suited the game as he's good at getting foot in / stepping in when someone tries to go past him. Also had a couple of good marauding runs forward. Again, not really sure what Wolves' motivation was in sending him out on loan; have you got someone really good as your right back? 

27 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Played well again and suited the game as he's good at getting foot in / stepping in when someone tries to go past him. Also had a couple of good marauding runs forward. Again, not really sure what Wolves' motivation was in sending him out on loan; have you got someone really good as your right back? 

I think he's unhappy in the midlands TBH.  Dr M and I disagree on Iorfa - I think he's comfortably our best RB (can't judge Phil Ofuso-Ayeh yet as I've not seen him play) but clearly hasn't been in the 1st team plans for a while.  I just hope he does well for you and is able to re-capture the form that saw him train with England when he was with the U21s a couple of years ago.

Our current RB is Matt Doherty.  I really don't like him, though TBF he's fitting into Nuno's system well this season so fair play to him for that.

28 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

We are playing Matt Doughty, our full backs are more like wing backs this season, more important offensively than defensively almost, which may be why Iorfa has been sent out, I don't personally think he's up to much going forward.  

We also signed a rightback / wing back from Germany who is coming back from injury.  No one has seen him play yet though.

Boro played some really good stuff today and released Asombalonga 3 times 1v1,  who made a hash of them all to the delight of the home fans. 

Shame about the result but the performance was sound, with a bit of luck and better finishing the game would have been comfortably won. 

I see Ipswitch and cardiff won again! Amazing stuff. 

Also congrats Sheffield sides. 

That's mental.  Has Ipswich's style changed at all this season?  Are you creating more chances, or just having a good run?

Yeah, I'd say for most teams at this stage the cup is a massive distraction, although Palace and Southampton (who we're playing) should probably give it a good go as they probably have a chance of winning and probably won't go down.

Bad thing for us is a long trip to Southampton (we were naturally in the southern section of the draw) then a trip to London on Saturday.  The cup trip is far from ideal.

On 22 August 2017 at 11:44, dr_manhattan^ said:

That's mental.  Has Ipswich's style changed at all this season?  Are you creating more chances, or just having a good run?

Yeah, I'd say for most teams at this stage the cup is a massive distraction, although Palace and Southampton (who we're playing) should probably give it a good go as they probably have a chance of winning and probably won't go down.

Bad thing for us is a long trip to Southampton (we were naturally in the southern section of the draw) then a trip to London on Saturday.  The cup trip is far from ideal.

The general consensus is we are playing it on the deck more.

McGoldrick is on form too, creating chances for the others. It's effectively a formation of four strikers.

And where we were dominating possession and not taking chances, this season we've had less ball and scored more.

Really looking forward to tomorrow - although getting to That London is going to be a NIGHTMARE.

Hoping the early 0830 start will deter some people.  As will sitting in a carriage with 5 Wolves fans supping from an 18-pint keg of Enville Ale.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Really looking forward to tomorrow - although getting to That London is going to be a NIGHTMARE.

Hoping the early 0830 start will deter some people.  As will sitting in a carriage with 5 Wolves fans supping from an 18-pint keg of Enville Ale.

Very jealous. I'll be at at hospital really close to the game, I'll listen out for you.

Bit of a schooling today - was surprised that we played the same team as against Brentford; you can't keep getting away with it and today we didn't. There's no getting away from the fact that our squad is paper thin at the moment, but it really showed up Mick's lack of flexibility and tactical nous today. Basically Fulham had watched a video of the Brentford game and set up to exploit our weaknesses.

We're basically playing four strikers, but not in an all-out-attack formation, Waghorn and Sears are sort of playing midfield, and sort of tracking back. So Fulham doubled up on their left, and had someone hug the touchline. This was obvious within five minutes. We didn't come up with a way to counter this all game and basically they ran riot. We could have swapped Waghorn and Sears (as Sears will absolutely run his legs off all game and man mark people if he's told to), we could have pushed someone up on our right and exploit the space, we could have swapped to five in midfield, we could have done anything - we did nothing. 

And yet ... it could have been so different (and in keeping with our season so far). Fulham hit the post and had all the possession, but we had a couple of good chances but whereas we've scored from pretty much every half chance up till now, today we didn't and once Fulham scored we had no ideas. 

Still, can't grumble from four wins from five. I hope Mick doesn't resort to type and has faith in the team and we continue to try and play football. It's probably a forlorn hope, but I'd love us to be more flexible tactically. I know we've basically only really got 13 fit first team players at the moment, but Fulham knew what we were going to play and could set up accordingly - it shouldn't be that easy to play against us.