EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

We've signed a striker!!! What the shitting hell is going on? I can only assume that, whist walking to the game last Saturday I was hit by a car and the subsequent good game, win and now signing are all some weird fevered dream brought on by the copious drugs required to keep me alive. None of this can be real!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32007/town-confirm-waghorn-signing

4 hours ago, SuperMBo said:

We've signed a striker!!! What the shitting hell is going on? I can only assume that, whist walking to the game last Saturday I was hit by a car and the subsequent good game, win and now signing are all some weird fevered dream brought on by the copious drugs required to keep me alive. None of this can be real!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/32007/town-confirm-waghorn-signing

Two-year deal too, not a loan.

Reading in strife already - nine injured players and a suspension means they are short of numbers for the cup tomorrow night and Saturday.

Feeling rather happy with life at the moment.

6 points from Boro and Derby is just awesome - 2 of the trickiest fixtures of the season and we've played some brilliant stuff, 6 points earned, 0 goals conceded.

And that's without Helder Costa.

Three wins out of three for Uber Mick and his team of bastards. I hope he sticks to his guns and doesn't bottle it when the inevitable loss comes - we haven't really been the stereotypical 'McCarthy Team' for the last three seasons and, should this be his last year at Ipswich (and I hope it is) then I hope he really goes for it and goes out on a high. The new strikers are total bastard, Robert Fleck types (showing my age there) and it could be a good mix of the likes of them, players like McGoldrick who can actually pass the ball and then, hopefully, some of our youth team coming through - who are actually good players but in previous seasons haven't had a chance to play. 

I said it about Rhodes and I’ll say it again; Assombalonga appears to be a waste of money*. Loses the ball a lot, can’t hold it up, doesn’t make decisions fast enough, lacks vision, can’t finish and the list goes on. 

Yes, he’s only had two league games. Yes, he’s at a new club. But a player of his calibre and price tag should be hitting the ground running at one of the leagues’ best teams. 

Bamford on the other hand is only a goal away from being back to his best and Gestede led the line really well yesterday.

*I hope I’m proved wrong

Lost 3-0 at Cardiff yesterday, it should have been 6 or 7.  The nadir of 21st century Aston Villa will come soon but it clearly hasn't happened yet.  I'd say Bruce out but I've got no faith whatsoever in the club to replace him with anybody good.  Kodjia will come back soon and paper over the cracks but this whole knock the ball long for a key player to do all the work strategy is built on sand, as results and performances are showing. 

He's good when he can be arsed.  He upset the Villa support during our relegation season with a few stupid comments which may or may not have been him angling for a move, it seems at some point he thought he was getting a transfer to PSV or Ajax and began talking about playing in the Champions League while his current club were 15 points adrift in the Premier League, plus there were pictures of him on the beach and stuff on Instagram mid season which for reasons I'm not entirely sure about seemed to really offend some people. 

What's he like as a footballer?  Decent I guess. He's definitely a footballer, technically he's good and he's good from dead ball situations. He's quick and he can be a powerful runner at times.  The bad side is the fact that if he's good on his day then that day is February 29th. There are lots of times when games just pass him by and it's infuriating because you know he's better than his performances demonstrate.  Maybe working with Jaap Stam will be good for him because Bacuna would have grown up while Stam was one of the best players in the Dutch national team and there is probably a ton of respect there which he never had with any of his coaches at Villa.  I think you've got a decent player if you can get him to perform to the best of his ability, but his inconsistency is probably why he had to choose Curacao (formerly known as Netherlands Antilles) over the Netherlands when it came to playing international football. 

On 8/12/2017 at 18:44, Boothjan said:

Feeling rather happy with life at the moment.

6 points from Boro and Derby is just awesome - 2 of the trickiest fixtures of the season and we've played some brilliant stuff, 6 points earned, 0 goals conceded.

And that's without Helder Costa.

I've been ill since Thursday, so haven't been on here much, but fuck me I'm excited.

Tomorrow night will be another tough game, but I'd have happily taken six points from our first three games against Boro, Derby, and Hull (two away) so anything tomorrow will be a bonus.

It's not just the results, but the way we're playing, here is an example back to front with style.  If this went in...

Maximum points from what was a very very tricky first 3 games is magnificent. But its not even that which has impressed me the most - it's the manner in which we've played. We look convincing, skillful,fit, confident and together. And that's with 7 new signings in the XI (our starting line up has been the same for all 3 league matches).

Considering we're playing a drastically different style with so many new faces with a new head coach, it's mightily impressive. 

I don't want to get too excited after just 3 games but it's hard not to feel a bit giddy! I just hope we can keep this up. 

Good game for Boro tonight, very happy for Assombolonga to get off the mark but he also missed the worst 1 on 1 I’ve seen at The Riverside in half a decade, man should have been on a hat trick.

Bamford was on fire again, Gibson continuously shows why he’s one of the top 5 English centre halves and Christie at right back is a revelation compared to the calamity that was Barragan. 

We’re doing really well, another clean sheet and the formation is great; 3-4-3 in attack and 5-3-2 in defence. Just as rigid at the back but much more potent up top. It wouldn’t surprise me if we break both our defensive and attacking records in the Championship.

However, I still think we haven’t resolved the attacking mid position. Forshaw has been on a steady decline, Howson only passes sideways, Leadbitter is long past his best, Adama doesn’t have the composure, Downing is on his way out, and Braithwaite is injured. There’s talk of Bamford being moved into that position but it would be a shame for him to miss out on the goals after he cooly slotted in a disallowed goal, an opportunity near identical to one Assombalonga fluffed.

TL;DR - I’m nitpicking. We’re going to win the league. 

58 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Would be very happy to finish second to Super Mick :)

Hang on chaps - Mr Warnock says hello.

Missed Saturday's game, but we apparently annihilated Villa and tonight Sheffield United didn't give us much trouble.

Not conceded a goal, first time we've ever won the opening 3 league games and we've managed to uncover a Rochdale winger on a free who has already scored 4 goals and set up a couple more. Defence looks solid, other good new signings and a decent manager.

Early, early days, but I think we will be in the mix this year.

Just now, Ork1927 said:

Hang on chaps - Mr Warnock says hello.

Missed Saturday's game, but we apparently annihilated Villa and tonight Sheffield United didn't give us much trouble.

Not conceded a goal, first time we've ever won the opening 3 league games and we've managed to uncover a Rochdale winger on a free who has already scored 4 goals and set up a couple more. Defence looks solid, other good new signings and a decent manager.

Early, early days, but I think we will be in the mix this year.

It'll certainly be a very interesting game on Saturday. 

Have to admit, I didn't expect Cardiff to be up there. What changed over the summer?

What style of football are you playing? Is it standard Warnock?  Nothing wrong with that, it's worked for him plenty of times in the past.