EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

On 31/07/2017 at 10:31, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yes, right language, but not Portuguese  enough really ;)

If we can get the striker right I think we'll be in for one hell of a season.  Apparently we looked awesome against Leicester.

Cannot wait for Saturday.

I went to Wolves vs Leicester and you looked alright. Neves looked really good, and so did whoever the right winger was. Leicester were bloody awful though and didn't seem that bothered. We've been crap in every friendly so far.

15 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Sunderland 1-1 Derby means Wolves are back to the bottom of the league :(

Negged for the bad times ;)

Steve McLaren in the studio. Good to see the poor skint man can still get a job.

We should be 3 up given our dominance so far, I hope we don't come to regret it. The Hull right back was getting skinned every time early on, it's not going to happen for 90 minutes. 

Nice touch from Gabby with the celebration too. I'm not sure how well he knows Ikeme personally but they are both Brummies and roughly the same age so they might go back years. 

Turgid second half from Villa. Scott Hogan looks lost up front, he's a man badly in need of a goal. He was leading a two man counter attack on the hour mark and just stopped, turned with the ball and conceded possession which led to a Hull chance. I knew he'd get substituted after that.  We looked really good in the first half too but just stopped playing until there were ten minutes to go. Andre Green should have scored near the end. Even if you aren't great in the air you can't miss the target when it's an unguarded net and you are six yards out.

Two points dropped and the Villa support who still aren't sure about Bruce have more ammunition against him. 

We looked really impressive today. We actually played football and looked comfortable with it!

Boro will be fine. Although we controlled the first hour, we had to concentrate and stay consistent throughout and by the end, we had tired and Boro took control. Our back 3 were excellent - as was Ruddy who had a great debut. Assombalonga will score for fun if he stays fit - such a nuisance and should have equalised but Ruddy denied him.

Cyrus Christie and Barry Douglas had a fantastic battle down our left all afternoon - 2 good players who wouldn't give up.

Neves was the best player on the park though. He's just sublime - an insane range of passing and found space effortlessly.

A good game and a brilliant result for us. Really enjoyed it - the contrast to last season was just unreal. Obviously its very very early days but we're without Costa and Cavaleiro and would expect another striker to come in so we weren't at full strength but I think any Wolves fan who witnessed that - a deserved win against a good side with 7 debutants starting - is allowed to feel a twinge of excitement.

It's annoying for Boro to be effectively undone by their own error though. I didn't get a chance to listen or watch the game and the general consensus is that we were disappointing, so I don't know if we deserved a draw or not.

But a portion of our fan base - admittedly these are the negative, unrealistic fair weather fans who got back on board after the play off final season - have already started moaning.

It's hard to tell who will be the big-hitters this season and often the early favourite have already faded by Christmas and there are surprise packages up there. But Wolves away is a tough opening fixture, after a relegation season where you're used to losing, and you have a new manager and faces in the squad.

We were an Ayala error away from, potentially, a 0-0 albeit wrapped up in a bit of a flat performance. Most sensible fans would have taken a point yesterday.

So it's fine margins, which of course is often what the Championship is about (and often what promotion from the championship is all about).

And people have already deemed Ayala not good enough, which is strange as I think he got voted the Championship Fans' Player of the Year when we got promoted. Barely played last year though so is probably rusty when it comes to competitive action. He's always had errors in him but he was a star man two years ago.

But such are those crazy fans that they'll decide he's not good enough now and hound him from now on.

Yea it was fine margins yesterday. Boro missed 2 sitters and gifted Wolves their goal but that's football and all credit to Wolves, they've got a great side that should do well.

Roll on Sheff United which is on TV :)

Yeah, I was saying to my dad before the game I thought it might be 1-0 either way. 

I thought we'd score though so it was just how we did defensively. 

Could have gone either way really and a draw would have looked like a fair result. 

Very happy with how we played though, with a few attacking players to come back in it's promising to be a memorable season.  

IMG_1367.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

To be fair, Boro defended really well except Ayala's error. I do think the result was fair as we should have been 2-0 up after about an hour and definitely won the midfield battle (I can't believe I just typed that!!) but we were under the cosh in the closing stages. A draw would have been harsh on us.

Boro fans really don't need to worry. Assombalonga will be fine, Christie was really impressive throughout (him v Douglas was such a great battle!) and Gibson/Ayala didn't let us past - aside from the goal of course. Anyone who finishes above them will be promoted IMO. 

On 05/08/2017 at 17:38, merman said:

First time Mick McCarthy's side have kept a clean sheet on the opening day of the season.

Good - we won 1-0, thanks to big Joe Garner

Bad - Andre Dozzell stretchered off with a bad knee injury :(

Most importantly, with the closure of the Robert Ransome - where was I going to drink before the match? As my old man is suspicious of anything that isn't a Wetherspoons we moved over the road to the Cricketers. First signs were terrible - drastically understaffed, but as the crowds lessened (probably with people getting bored of waiting to get served going some where else) it settled down and my Dad was happy with his burger and beer deal and I got stuck into drinking away my heart ache over there being no Pitman (he scored two for Portsmouth against Rochdale). 

Onto the game, I thought we played pretty well - it was a good game. It was very much back to the style of two seasons ago - right up until we got absolutely shat upon at Reading away, McCarthy completely lost his nerve and we played dour, shit defensive football for the next one and a half seasons. Dozzell looked bloody good in the 40 minutes or so - real pity that it seems so serious an injury and I hope it turns out to be something lesser and he's back relatively soon, or if not it doesn't impede his progress as he looks to be a proper player. 

Birmingham can probably feel themselves pretty hard done by - we should have probably won 2-0 (Sears missed an open goal when it seemed easier to put it in) but around that Birmingham had some good chances and the best of the first half and were probably good value for a draw. I don't think either team are really any good and won't be challenging the top 6 which is one of the reasons I'm so pleased we won as I'm already seeing these sort of games as six pointers. 

Iorfa is bloody good - like him a lot. Whilst I'm annoyed that we sent Emmanuel out on loan (as I'm not sure Iorfa is that much better, and at least Emmanuel is ours) I think this will work out well for both clubs as he slotted in really well, and from Wolves' perspective he will get the chance to play himself back into form / work out some kinks or whatever your motivation was (you must have a really good right back for him not to play for you). Bart was as good as ever, Garner looked sharp and took his goal well (and is clearly a feisty fucker, so he'll either become a cult hero or get frequently sent off for stupid things, or why not both?) and even Knudsen had a good game (set up the goal and did another good cross that eventually led to it coming back in for Sears to make a mess off when he should have scored). 

Luke Chambers did a few nice fist pumps so well done him. 

All in all, a good day back at Portman Road and we've still got some of our better players to come back in.  

Not sure tbh. Weve actually reduced the squad size and made a profit on transfers this summer but were very spendy last season. The spine of the team seems pretty settled but it wouldn't surprise me if we sold a couple and signed a couple before deadline day. 

14 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Not sure tbh. Weve actually reduced the squad size and made a profit on transfers this summer but were very spendy last season. The spine of the team seems pretty settled but it wouldn't surprise me if we sold a couple and signed a couple before deadline day. 

Fair enough.

That ball from Neves was sex.  Couldn't believe it when it came off.

You know it's a good spot when the crowd didn't even know the player was there to pick out!