EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

Singing section?  I don't think so - the tickets were half price but other than that I don't think there's any particular relevance.  It's not usually open.  It'll be a brilliant atmosphere - especially if we start well.  Its a challenging start though - Boro are my tip to win the thing, then we've got Derby away who always save their best performance of the season for when they play us!

I'm still not sure what to make of our (Aston Villa's) chances this season.  Best case I can see is us winning ugly, Bruce looks like he still wants us to be tight at the back and to hit balls for Kodjia to chase. Thing is, Kodjia is still out with the injury he suffered at the back end of last season and I think it may be a good thing because we spent a lot of money on Scott Hogan in January and then proceeded to completely ignore him. If we've got a month of having to build the team around Hogan (who'd got 14 by Xmas at Brentford) then it might not make us so utterly onenote.  On paper we've got a squad as strong as anybody in the division, plenty of talent and experience and we've actually made a profit in the transfer window this summer so there's money to spend if we really need it, but I just fear yet another year of big players underperforming.  Even if we only look at the signings under Tony Xia's chairmanship then I don't expect Ross McCormack (£12m) to feature this season, Tshibola (£5m) and Gollini (£4m) have been sent out on loan for the second time less than a year after making their debut and we've been trying to sell Tommy Elphick to Small Heath all summer.  

Even the lads who are in the team still have a lot to prove, lots of people were saying Conor Hourihane was a Premier League player in the Championship for several months before we signed him and he's flattered to deceive, Henri Lansbury still looks like a bloke who's going to appear on Celebrity Love Island before much longer and Bjarnson seems to have got his contract because Roy Hodgson made Iceland look good last summer.  They probably all have it in them to be excellent but after, what, seven consecutive seasons where the team has somehow managed to get worse I just wish they'd collectively step the fuck up and remind me why I bother again.  Hopefully having a guy like John Terry at the club will provide the motivation that we've clearly been lacking for far too long now. 

Here's signining #11:

I reckon we'll bring in another striker as well.  There's a few still to leave - Evans went to Wigan yesterday, Joe Mason surely has no future here, Prince Oniangue hasn't featured at all in pre-season, Andy Lonergan was apparently due to sign for a side in the North West but dropped the pen.

The number of supposed respected journalists who don't understand how FFP works is absolutely incredible.  Why the fuck aren't these people doing a bit of research instead of blindly trolling out utter nonsense?

Yep - I'm referring to the amounts of money Wolves are spending this summer, and why I'm pissed off with the number of people moaning about FFP, and why we must be close to breaching it.  Erm.. we're not.  We're not even close.  It's not as simple as spending £30m and immediately being in breach of the rules.

Do I think we need to go up this season if we have any chance of protecting our investments?  Absolutely, but that's nothing to do with FFP.  Because those players will not hang around in the Championship for long.  So we'd sell them, with Uncle Jorge's help, of course.  So essentially, we're nowhere near the FFP thresholds, if we go up it wouldn't matter anyway, if we don't go up then we won't have assets who are depreciating in value - they're young, and they're Mendes clients.

Quite remarkable that people reckon that Fosun (our owners) who are an internationally renowned conglomerate - amongst the most successful in China, worth BILLIONS of pounds, and being advised by the most powerful agent in world football - are somehow unaware or choosing to ignore the FFP guidelines.  

Oh for those halcyon days of journalists actually being bothered to do a bit of research to back up their 'facts'.....

12 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

The number of supposed respected journalists who don't understand how FFP works is absolutely incredible.  Why the fuck aren't these people doing a bit of research instead of blindly trolling out utter nonsense?

Yep - I'm referring to the amounts of money Wolves are spending this summer, and why I'm pissed off with the number of people moaning about FFP, and why we must be close to breaching it.  Erm.. we're not.  We're not even close.  It's not as simple as spending £30m and immediately being in breach of the rules.

Do I think we need to go up this season if we have any chance of protecting our investments?  Absolutely, but that's nothing to do with FFP.  Because those players will not hang around in the Championship for long.  So we'd sell them, with Uncle Jorge's help, of course.  So essentially, we're nowhere near the FFP thresholds, if we go up it wouldn't matter anyway, if we don't go up then we won't have assets who are depreciating in value - they're young, and they're Mendes clients.

Quite remarkable that people reckon that Fosun (our owners) who are an internationally renowned conglomerate - amongst the most successful in China, worth BILLIONS of pounds, and being advised by the most powerful agent in world football - are somehow unaware or choosing to ignore the FFP guidelines.  

Oh for those halcyon days of journalists actually being bothered to do a bit of research to back up their 'facts'.....

I posted the following on Molineux Mix a couple of hours before the radio show you're referring to:

If anyone's busy, I'll save you the trouble, I imagine anything about Wolves will be along the lines of:

"Foreign players won't find the Championship easy and will be bullied"
"Mendes is dodgy"
"How will Wolves escape FFP"
"Wolves will be ****ed if they don't go up"
"Prediction: 9th"

So fucking predictable.

As you say, if your job is commenting on Football, do some basic fucking research.

Not all clubs are in London or the North West ffs.

You missed the 'can they do it at Millwall on a cold Tuesday night?'  Funny, I'm sure Helder Costa was tearing defences to shreds during the winter months last season.

as for their predictions - meh, they may well be right if our new style doesn't fit the players we have.  I personally think it'll be okay as Nuno has brought in players who know how he wants the side to play (Miranda, Boly, Neves, Jota for example who should all be first team regulars).  It's hard to say where we'll finish as everything is so new.  It might be a resounding success, it might be an abject failure.  But there's nothing to say the foreign players will get 'bullied' (lazy, uninformed stereotypical bullshit), Mendes is an agent but there's nothing untoward with our business with him, we'll escape FFP breaches easily (assuming these people understand it), we WON'T be fucked if we don't go up - we're fucking loaded (we might lose our best players and have to start again, but this isn't Bolton v2.0). 

My mate's blog is by far and away the best thing I've read on the subject of FFP.  He's even asked the local journos to comment on it, as the stuff they're tweeting shows an alarming lack of knowledge on the guidelines, and what it means for Wolves in general.

https://oscillatingwildly.net/somebody-is-wrong-on-the-internet/

No journalist has commented on it.  Clearly they're happy to remain ignorant on the subject.

Yeah I read DeutchWolf's post.

Best analysis I've seen, puts so many journalists to shame, but then, he isn't chasing headlines I guess.

I'm not bothered by those on 5live thinking our team might not be top 6, what bothers me is the laziness of their analysis.  It's their fucking job.  They couldn't name more than one of our new signings.  I think we've spent net 13million this summer, it's nothing these days!  Certainly a lot less than many other clubs, and like you rightly point out, we're really in no danger at all.

At one point they said we'd be in financial trouble and in breech of FFP, then in the next sentence they say all our new signings are just coming to be sold on!

Pissed up people in pubs are more insightful.

So hyped for the start of the season. :D

Given the business we have done (Middlesbrough), anything other than promotion will be a massive let down.

I'd be feeling a bit more excited about Saturday if we didnt have to take on bloody Porto at there home stadia.

Also rather curious on how we are going to line up with our 5 strikers! I cant believe how much money we have invested in a position I thought we might be ok in (Not that I am complaining!), given Bamford and Gestedes track record at this level. But now we have Assombalonga, Braithwaite and Ashley Fletcher on top of that.

I can only imagine Gestede is moving on, which is a shame I thought he would have thrived this season but its fair to say it looks like we have bought better. (Plus he is cursed innit.)

Another plus is that we still have our Solid base which Karanka built, so hopefully we can keep it tight at the back, with the a team that has been there and done it before in the championship.

Yeah, I think Boro's strategy for this season is basic but sound.  Basically tight at the back with loads of power and strength up front.

I don't know the squad that well, but I imagine Boro will be a bit of a battering ram, pace and power.

I also has no idea until today that you'd signed Guadiura (Spelling).  I think he'll be a great asset this season once he gets fit.

I also so hyped for Saturday.

Not seen a full stadium personally for years.  Standing right in the centre of the South Bank I'm expecting to not being able to speak for 24 hours after the game.

We did sell Rhodes aswell this summer for near 10M, I know he never got a fair crack but he was never suited to us. The kind of players we have went out and spent big money on are exaclty the kind of signings we have needed to lead the line. (Karanka must be seething, seeing the amount of money that has been spent backing Monk.) 

When we got promoted in 2015/2016 our leading goal scorer Davey Nugget had 8 goals. :lol:

So we are much better equipt this time round. 

It does look as though the Dr is spot on, our plan looks to be keep it tight and try and batter our way through teams, because we really don't have anything in terms of creative midfielders who are going to dictate the game. (Assuming Gaston is going.)

Come on, you can't say Karanka wasn't backed.  £12m for Rhodes, who didn't play.  Negredo and Valdez brought in along with their wages.  It wasn't that he wasn't given money, it was that he didn't spend it well.

(Although wasn't Rhodes bought by the chairman?)

Anyway, I think Boro will go up.  Lot of quality throughout the side allied to plenty of experience at this level.

I dont know the facts but the word is that Rhodes wasnt wanted by Karanka which explains how he treated him.

We spent around 25M last season when gearing up for the prem (Admittedly Valdes and Negrado were free.), compare that with this this season and we are already on 45M spend (Not net). The Karanka reference was looking more at Jan when he was looking to sign some key players after Gaston downed tools, but never got the backing and those players ended up elsewhere. (You could easily argue those players were unrealistic mind! Bojan and Jese are the two that get touted the most.)

Either way Karanka did get backed more than most but not the extent of support Monk has been given. He is probably enjoying the fruits of Karanka labour more than any in getting us too and then Parachuted out of the promise land. :lol:

You cheerful, optimistic bastards. Buying players - who do you think you are? Melchester Rovers? 

The main Ipswich fan forum is Those Were The Days - there's a guy on there (HarryfromBath) who before each game does a 'View from the opposing fans' kind of thing where he goes on opposition teams' forums and collates a report on what they think about their team, the season and their chances against Ipswich (they usually think we're shit and that they're going to win). They're very good. He's just done a pre-season report for all the various teams - here's the Wolves one: 

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31970/turning-portuguese-i-think-i’m-turning-portuguese…--wolves-pre-season-report 

Feel free to also read the bitter comments at the bottom from sour Ipswich fans. 

Off to Burton on Saturday for my first away game with Cardiff since April 11 (bar the Carling Cup final).

No idea how we will do this season - Warnock did very well last season after he came in especially turning super donkey Kenneth Zahore into Drogba 2. We've made a few interesting signings, but look a bit weak in the middle of the park and if Zahore was a half season wonder then we will struggle up front.

I suspect we will be horrible to play against - the locals seems to be expecting a good go at the top 6, but how knows in this league.

Certainly looking forward to an opening game where we actually have a host of new players unlike the last couple of seasons where we've had a couple of rubbish loan signings and the same old tired faces.

39 minutes ago, Butters said:

Keen to hear how Callum Paterson does with your guys @Ork1927. Still got learning to do, but a lot of potential. Really strong for his age, and scored a lot of goals from right back for us.

Not sure when he is going to start playing - seems to be anywhere between December and by the end of the month