EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'm a single parent for 50% of the time so couldn't get a ST until the kids are a lot older, but I'm sure I'll be down the Golden Palace a few times next season.  Might take the kids along to the opening game v Boro though.

I'll be there at Boro, South Bank hopefully.  Family affair for me as my cousins support them.

Post on the main Ipswich fans forum today: 

"I'm genuinely far more excited by the signings we're making now than I would be someone like Neves."

That's right Wolves - you may have spent £17 million on a Champions League calibre midfielder but we've signed a striker that failed to succeed in the Scottish Premier League. We've been in this league for too long, I think we've lost perspective of what is going on outside of the Championship. We're like the Japanese holdouts, the club that time forgot. 

13 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Post on the main Ipswich fans forum today: 

"I'm genuinely far more excited by the signings we're making now than I would be someone like Neves."

That's right Wolves - you may have spent £17 million on a Champions League calibre midfielder but we've signed a striker that failed to succeed in the Scottish Premier League. We've been in this league for too long, I think we've lost perspective of what is going on outside of the Championship. We're like the Japanese holdouts, the club that time forgot. 

To be honest, I do feel slightly embarrassed about the money we're throwing around.  I'm not getting too big for my boots, there are genuinely about ten big clubs in the Championship, and while Wolves is one of them, everyone will be out for us next year.

I grew up in the 90s, I'm terrified of this being a repeat of those days.

We have some great youngsters in our squad too.  Best thing about Lambert was how he gave them plenty of game time.  I really hope NES does the same, excited by Ronan and Bright in particular.

I'm not embarrassed by it at all.  I get a bit embarrassed by some of our fans boasting about it on Twitter and that godawful 'tinpot club' phrase thrown around at all and sundry, but we should enjoy times like this.  It's bloody exciting to sign a player like Ruben Neves.  And I'm sure there'll be more signings to come as well as some players leaving.

Of course, it'll mean fuck all if we don't get promoted and I appreciate the feeling of deja vu - but these are different times, different owners, different club.  It looks like the owners have learned a lot from last season and we now have a very highly rated head coach in Nuno and some bloody useful looking players as well.  They're throwing everything at promotion.

Not worried about the academy graduates not getting a look in as Fosun have said countless times that the academy is very important, and that we'll give good young players theit chance.  I think Nuno will give the youngsters some game time simply because they're good players.  He's already been stressing that ball control is of paramount importance.  Ronan, Gibbs-White et al have far more natural ability than the cloggers who have wasted a shirt for the past few years.  It's those players who need to be worried, not the youngsters.

8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I'm not embarrassed by it at all.  I get a bit embarrassed by some of our fans boasting about it on Twitter and that godawful 'tinpot club' phrase thrown around at all and sundry, but we should enjoy times like this.  It's bloody exciting to sign a player like Ruben Neves.  And I'm sure there'll be more signings to come as well as some players leaving.

Of course, it'll mean fuck all if we don't get promoted and I appreciate the feeling of deja vu - but these are different times, different owners, different club.  It looks like the owners have learned a lot from last season and we now have a very highly rated head coach in Nuno and some bloody useful looking players as well.  They're throwing everything at promotion.

Not worried about the academy graduates not getting a look in as Fosun have said countless times that the academy is very important, and that we'll give good young players theit chance.  I think Nuno will give the youngsters some game time simply because they're good players.  He's already been stressing that ball control is of paramount importance.  Ronan, Gibbs-White et al have far more natural ability than the cloggers who have wasted a shirt for the past few years.  It's those players who need to be worried, not the youngsters.

Yep, agree with all that.

Embarrassed is too strong a word, I just mean that I acknowledge that we're lucky to have these owners and links to Mendes.

I get a bit frustrated about the media's perception of the link to Mendes - Johnny Phillips did a really good article for the Express and Star which was far more balanced.  Too many people who should be far better informed just think Mendes = bloodsucking agent = evil but it's just not as clear cut as that.  The fact is, without Jorge Mendes, Wolves wouldn't have Ivan Cavaleiro, Helder Costa, Ruben Neves or Nuno Espirito Santo coaching them.

It's not in Mendes' interests to fuck us over.  He's got an obligation to his clients of course, but he also has links to Fosun via Gestifute so he's not going to pull a fast one on us to make a quick buck.  We might have to put up with an Ola John infesting the squad and not getting a game with his rank averageness once every so often but I'll put up with that! 

Of course, it guarantees nothing and there are some good sides in this league.  Top 6 really has to be the minimum requirement this time around and we're starting to build a squad which is more than capable of promotion.  A totally revamped defence, a Champions League quality midfielder - we still need some firepower up top and I think we're a bit light still at LB and CM but otherwise, bring on August 5th. 

Saw an article earlier saying Leeds are in for Batth (£2m) and Doherty (£2.5m).  The thought of that really makes me laugh!

There's definitely been a decline in his performances but he's only 30 (I thought he was older) and is definitely an upgrade for us.  Hopefully he can regain some of the form he showed earlier in his career?  It does happen when players start to grow a bit stale at a club (it's happened plenty of times at Molineux!) but I'm happy enough that we've signed him.

On 08/07/2017 at 10:04, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah, I'm currently wondering whether to drop 400 quid on a season ticket.  Could only make the weekend games really.

Probably try and get a half season ticket at Christmas.

What are the odds on automatic promotion presently?

The only thing I would really say against the Wolves at the moment is how large your squad is, that can't be healthy for the dressing room surely?

Just glancing at your website you have the following -

3 goalkeepers (not including John Ruddy)

9 defenders

12 midfielders

5 strikers

I guess reviewing it it's not as bad as I thought but 12 midfielders? That's potentially 3 fighting for each position ^_^ Time to trim the squad down before bringing more in surely?

4 keepers now fighting for 1 position? Ah now i'm confused, John Ruddy is in the Under 23's section? :D So are some of those currently listed in the 1st team meant to be under 23's?

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Wolves sign Ruddy

To the Norwich fans, I'm led to believe you haven't been keen on him for a couple of years.  What's up with that?

Personally I never had a problem with him, he's been our best keeper throughout, despite a few patchy spells. Dropping him for McGovern last season was ludicrous as he's utter shite.

Ruddy had a nasty injury a few years back and hasn't been the same player since but he's still a very good 'keeper for this level/bottom half of Premiership. I really thought he'd get snapped up by a PL team.

32 minutes ago, Luseth said:

The only thing I would really say against the Wolves at the moment is how large your squad is, that can't be healthy for the dressing room surely?

9 defenders

12 midfielders

5 strikers

I guess reviewing it it's not as bad as I thought but 12 midfielders? That's potentially 3 fighting for each position ^_^ Time to trim the squad down before bringing more in surely?

4 keepers now fighting for 1 position? Ah now i'm confused, John Ruddy is in the Under 23's section? :D So are some of those currently listed in the 1st team meant to be under 23's?

Yep, it's confusing, we now have two "Ruddy" goalkeepers :D

At the moment, all we've done is make ourselves contenders I think along with at least five other clubs at least.  We all know what the championship is like.  I'm just excited we have a chance now.

There are plenty of question marks over Wolves still.  Will Dicko be able to recapture his pre-injury form?  Is Costa fit yet?  Will Graham be able to also recapture his pre-injury form? (spot the trend here?) Will we sign a goalscorer?  Will all our new, mainly foreign signings gel and adapt to the Championship?  Does NES have a clue?

I have no doubt we'll conceded many fewer goals this season after rebuilding our defence and 'keeper, so it's all about going forward for me.  I'm optimistic of a good season though, because Dicko seemed to be getting back to his old self at the end of the season, Costa and Cav are just wonderful in my opinion, Graham seemed like his old self, I expect us to sign another striker, and Neves has to be an improvement in midfield.

Also, we generally seem to be signing quality players.  I'd hope they can adapt.

I'm generally cautious, but I'd be disappointed to finish bellow 4th place this year.

A lot of people seem to be tipping Blues for a good season too, I admit, I've missed a lot of whats been happening there this summer, what's causing the optimism there?

Hah! I thought us having John Ruddy & Declan Rudd was strange.

While we're on Wolves, I'm not sure why you've signed Ryan Bennett, unless your defence is currently fucking awful he won't be improving it.

I always had a fair bit of time for him just because he seemed a likeable chap but he's very much a no-nonsense defender...who isn't very good in the air.

3 minutes ago, diddlydennis said:

Hah! I thought us having John Ruddy & Declan Rudd was strange.

While we're on Wolves, I'm not sure why you've signed Ryan Bennett, unless your defence is currently fucking awful he won't be improving it.

I always had a fair bit of time for him just because he seemed a likeable chap but he's very much a no-nonsense defender...who isn't very good in the air.

I believe he was Lambert's last signing.  We've since signed two central defenders from Portugal, which seem more like NES signings.

I expect Bennett to have to fight hard for a spot.

Having said that, people are expecting us to play with three central defenders this season (I generally don't like that) so you never know.

@dr_manhattan^ I know you don't need to sell but i'm surprised you haven't had a big money offer for Costa, I think he's a crackin player.

I'm not entirely sure why there is a lot of optimisim around the Blues at the moment. We have only made 2 signings :lol: In all fairness though I don't think the team was too bad in anyway, it worked and kept chipping away at the league under Rowett's tactics. Zola just threw that all under a bus. Redknapp however I think has the knowledge and experience to go with what works. I suspect a lot of the buzz is simply the 'Redknapp' factor. All of a sudden the media loves us despite us being the bad guys for so long.

What I will say for us presently is Redknapp has brought in 2 fantastic signings in Stockdale and Marc Roberts who will really shore up the shakiness at the back. We have Ravel Morrison on a trial, looking at a loan there but from what Redknapp has said he's told him this is probably his last chance at a good footballing career. If he is smart he'll put the effort in and potentially we will get a great season out of him (he will want to put himself in the shop window for when his contract us up at the end of the season).

Add to that this 'mystery' trialist who we have in at the moment who is going to join the team in Austria tomorrow that the club is keeping very hush hush about. (We have our suspicions that it is Robbie Keane) and the team is taking shape to a degree. I'm optimistic of a position similar to where Rowett was placing us the last few seasons, who knows maybe even nick a play off spot.

I think all in all it's shaping up to be an exciting and competitive season in the championship with all 3 west mids clubs in the top half I reckon, that makes a nice change!

55 minutes ago, Luseth said:

9 defenders

12 midfielders

5 strikers

The problem is that a lot of that squad is just deadwood that we need to shift.  

We've only really got Ruddy (the elder) who is a viable option in goal.  Ikeme's diagnosis means he's not an option, Lonergan is absolute mince and I wouldn't want him in goal for Stourbridge, Harry Burgoyne played a handful of games last season due to injuries but I'm not sure he's ready or good enough, Flatt/Ruddy (the younger) haven't ever played for the first team.  I think Flatt has gone out on loan this season.

Defenders - the fact we've signed 5 new defenders (Ryan Bennett, Roderick Miranda, Willy Boly, Barry Douglas, Phil Ofosu-Ayeh) speaks volumes.  Our defence was shite last season - again, just not good enough.  Doherty, Batth, Ebanks-Landell should all be binned.  We've released/not taken up the loan option on Stearman, Silvio, Williamson, Borthwick-Jackson.  Iorfa had a terrible season (I hope we don't get rid though as he's very very talented).  There's only really Kortney Hause who looked semi decent.  

Central Midfield - bloody hell, where do I start?  Saville, Henry, Wallace have already left but there are question marks over the ability of Price and Evans.  Coady and Edwards try hard enough but aren't good enough, Oniangue hasn't settled and I expect him to leave, Saiss hasn't really shown what he can do (would like to see him paired with Neves which might bring out the best of him).  I'd love the youngsters such as Conor Ronan and Morgan Gibbs-White to get more game time next season - Ronan in particular looks absolutely brilliant.  So Neves signing is a massive boost.  

Out wide we're actually quite well stocked, we've got Costa and Cavaleiro, Jordan Graham is superb but was out all of last season except the final game with an ACL injury, Zyro didn't kick a ball at all, Ben Marshall is a useful squad member who showed some promise at the end of last season.  Ronan could also play out wide as his delivery is superb.

Upfront we're about as potent as a Theresa May speech.  An appalling lack of goals last season - I'd bin Bodvarsson and Mason.  Dicko came back from a nasty injury so I don't want to write him off but it's a big year for him.  As for 18 year old Bright Enobakhare - I'd send him out on loan for the season.  Clearly uber-talented, he'd be wasting his time in the academy squads and I think he needs some 1st team experience.  But we MUST bring in a decent new striker as we're pretty toothless up front.  TBH I'd like us to bring in more than 1 striker - it's a massive weak point in our squad.

TL;DR - we've got lots of shit that needs replacing!

14 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

The problem is that a lot of that squad is just deadwood that we need to shift.  

We've only really got Ruddy (the elder) who is a viable option in goal.  Ikeme's diagnosis means he's not an option, Lonergan is absolute mince and I wouldn't want him in goal for Stourbridge, Harry Burgoyne played a handful of games last season due to injuries but I'm not sure he's ready or good enough, Flatt/Ruddy (the younger) haven't ever played for the first team.  I think Flatt has gone out on loan this season.

Defenders - the fact we've signed 5 new defenders (Ryan Bennett, Roderick Miranda, Willy Boly, Barry Douglas, Phil Ofosu-Ayeh) speaks volumes.  Our defence was shite last season - again, just not good enough.  Doherty, Batth, Ebanks-Landell should all be binned.  We've released/not taken up the loan option on Stearman, Silvio, Williamson, Borthwick-Jackson.  Iorfa had a terrible season (I hope we don't get rid though as he's very very talented).  There's only really Kortney Hause who looked semi decent.  

Central Midfield - bloody hell, where do I start?  Saville, Henry, Wallace have already left but there are question marks over the ability of Price and Evans.  Coady and Edwards try hard enough but aren't good enough, Oniangue hasn't settled and I expect him to leave, Saiss hasn't really shown what he can do (would like to see him paired with Neves which might bring out the best of him).  I'd love the youngsters such as Conor Ronan and Morgan Gibbs-White to get more game time next season - Ronan in particular looks absolutely brilliant.  So Neves signing is a massive boost.  

Out wide we're actually quite well stocked, we've got Costa and Cavaleiro, Jordan Graham is superb but was out all of last season except the final game with an ACL injury, Zyro didn't kick a ball at all, Ben Marshall is a useful squad member who showed some promise at the end of last season.  Ronan could also play out wide as his delivery is superb.

Upfront we're about as potent as a Theresa May speech.  An appalling lack of goals last season - I'd bin Bodvarsson and Mason.  Dicko came back from a nasty injury so I don't want to write him off but it's a big year for him.  As for 18 year old Bright Enobakhare - I'd send him out on loan for the season.  Clearly uber-talented, he'd be wasting his time in the academy squads and I think he needs some 1st team experience.  But we MUST bring in a decent new striker as we're pretty toothless up front.  TBH I'd like us to bring in more than 1 striker - it's a massive weak point in our squad.

TL;DR - we've got lots of shit that needs replacing!

Harry Burgoyne had an awful debut conceding 4 to Fulham, but to be fair, he has a win at Anfield under his belt.

I disagree about Iorfa, I don't know what people see in him, he's never a footballer.  He'd be a good 200m sprinter maybe.  I agree about Hause, think he's a good prospect, I would keep Doherty, think he's a good squad player.  Batth I'm not sure, I think he'll have a good career.

Got to admit, I like Price, I think with the right team around him he'll look a good player.  Evans will do well somewhere, maybe not with us, saw him at Fulham away last year and he had a great game.  I'd definitely keep Edwards around, proper Wolves man, great to have in the squad.  Obviously limited, but scored 10 goals last season, we'd be mad to let him go.

Agree about Ronan, think he's just fantastic, hope he can hold a place down next season, I can see him getting better and better.  I also have high hopes for Bright, I think he could be amazing.  I definitely wouldn't send him out on loan, I think that would be an awful move, I think he needs to be kept close for personality reasons, but also, I think he's a good footballer who won't be fazed by the Championship or what's going on at Wolves.

I also like Mason, think he's a good ball player.  Only thing there is if he can stay fit.  If we get a good offer I'd probably let him go, but he could do well if he stays injury free.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Harry Burgoyne had an awful debut conceding 4 to Fulham, but to be fair, he has a win at Anfield under his belt.

I disagree about Iorfa, I don't know what people see in him, he's never a footballer.  He'd be a good 200m sprinter maybe.  I agree about Hause, think he's a good prospect, I would keep Doherty, think he's a good squad player.  Batth I'm not sure, I think he'll have a good career.

Got to admit, I like Price, I think with the right team around him he'll look a good player.  Evans will do well somewhere, maybe not with us, saw him at Fulham away last year and he had a great game.  I'd definitely keep Edwards around, proper Wolves man, great to have in the squad.  Obviously limited, but scored 10 goals last season, we'd be mad to let him go.

Agree about Ronan, think he's just fantastic, hope he can hold a place down next season, I can see him getting better and better.  I also have high hopes for Bright, I think he could be amazing.  I definitely wouldn't send him out on loan, I think that would be an awful move, I think he needs to be kept close for personality reasons, but also, I think he's a good footballer who won't be fazed by the Championship or what's going on at Wolves.

I also like Mason, think he's a good ball player.  Only thing there is if he can stay fit.  If we get a good offer I'd probably let him go, but he could do well if he stays injury free.

*DISAGREEMENT KLAXON*

Iorfa - his stats during his first season were absolutely off the scale.  Comfortably in the top 3 right backs in the league over a number of categories, and was never once beaten for pace.  He's a very, very talented lad - I don't know what happened with him last season but we'd be mad to sell him unless he's angling for a move and is acting up.  Between him and Hause, I'm surprised that the latter has come into his own whereas Dom has barely featured but he's far too young to write off.

Doherty is awful.  I'd give him away for free.  His positional sense is woeful, his attitude is diabolical when things aren't going our way and he's a liability no matter which side he plays on.

Price is an odd one - I like him but he's simply not improved in 4 years.  I think he needs a move for the sake of his career.  I thought he was going to push on and become a solid midfielder but he doesn't do enough.  I prefer Evans and would keep him as a squad player.  Edwards to be on the bench at best - bring him on if we're trailing as he's got the knack of being in the right place at the right time with his runs into the box.  I'd never start him week in week out though.

Mason was a duff signing because he doesn't actually have any strengths to his game.  He doesn't anticipate anything when he plays off the main striker, he's not good in the air, he doesn't hold it up well, he's a poor finisher (as are the rest of our strikers!) and isn't worth anything like the amount we paid for him.  Cheers for the belter at St Andrews and the winner v Villa Joe, but time to move on.  I don't actually know what kind of striker he's supposed to be!

I've always known you were a prick @Boothjan :D

Only messing.  I hope you're right about Iorfa, time will tell.

Everything else we broadly agree on.  The set of players we're talking about Wolves fans seem to be not sure about.  They all have their qualities, but aren't world beaters.

Bad news about Costa though huh?  Having said that, he have quite a bit of strength in the winger dept, so hopefully he's given plenty of time to recover.

Ha ha - I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong....

My main issue with the past few season is just that we've signed crap players - the squad is just full of mediocre, mid table Championship fodder so we shouldn't be too surprised to see us finishing in mid table in the Championship!  Hopefully this summer will see a stop to the poor recruitment - we need to offload a lot of players (some have already left) and start again.  We're too nice and we're too mediocre.

Yeah it's a pisser to lose Helder Costa but you're right - we've plenty of strength in depth in those areas to get by for a few months.  I really hope Jordan Graham can have a decent run in the side and remain injury free - apparently he hasn't gone to the Austrian tour as he's had a minor injury setback but here's hoping that it's not serious.

6 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Premier League is shit anyway.

Actually agree here. Have enjoyed our Championship seasons far more than the Prem ones in recent years! Ticket prices are far more reasonable (outside of Carrow Road at least), I get to more games, we win more than we lose.

It's nice to go up once in a while though, Wembley was without doubt my best memory as a Norwich fan, but the 12 months that followed it were dull as hell. The novelty of playing Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea et al soon wears off and you just get tired of getting tonked 5-0 every week.

Agreed.

In all honesty, the Championship is a great league (the best /Trump).  The clubs, the openness of any one game and the league in general, the play offs are amazing, fans are wonderful, great attendance.

It could be a good European top flight league really.