EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

Thought I'd post some thoughts on last night, and how excited and proud I am of the Wolves.

Well I still can't believe how the hell we managed to be quite that impressive with what was essentially a reserve side.  It shows a ridiculous strength in depth for a Championship team, as well as just how much some of our 'no hopers' from last season have improved thanks to Nuno and his staff.

We've seen that improvement regularly in the league from Batth, Doherty and particularly Conor Coady but some of the players waiting in the wings can give themselves a pat on the back because if they need to come in for any of the first team regulars, I really won't be too concerned (with a few exceptions - any side in the league would miss the likes of Jota, Bonatini etc).

Will Norris looks brilliant.  As mentioned above, he's only played in the cup games thus far and has yet to concede.  2 of those games were away to Premier League sides.  John Ruddy needs to keep playing well because if not, I doubt he'd get back into the team if Norris gets the shirt.

Kortney Hause - was that his first game of the season?  Thought he was fantastic. Hasn't even made the bench recently.

Ryan Bennett - essentially our 6th choice centre half stuck out on the right but didn't let us down.  

Ruben Vinagre - well I've already gushed praise over him.  This kid is going to be a star.  Mark my words.  Apparently we're going to make his deal permanent in January.  Happy days if we do.  Reminds me so much of a young Gareth Bale and I wouldn't be surprised if he's pushed up the pitch in a similar way as his career progresses.

Alfred N'Diaye - looks quality from the times he's been in the first team.  Had a great game. Can't get ahead of Saiss/Neves as they've been so good this season but again, no worries at all from me if he needs to deputise.  Pushing the main 2 all the way though and surely isn't far away.

Jack Price - thought he'd leave in the summer, got a new contract the other day and didn't look out of place at all last night.  Still think he's a fair way below the likes of Saiss, Neves and N'Diaye but can still do a job.

Ben Marshall - probably the only one who didn't impress me enough, and some way behind what we've seen from other players on the right side this season. It took him ages to get up to speed last season, but I'm starting to think the system doesn't suit him quite so well.  Could see him leaving in January TBH.

Bright Enobakhare - oh Bright.  You could and should have been the hero.  He was the best player on the pitch but just can't finish well enough.  SUCH a precocious talent, I still remain convinced he'll come good and I hope the miss in the 92nd minute (very good save from Bravo) doesn't affect his confidence too much because he excelled in every other aspect of the game and had Mangala in particular in knots throughout.  Gutted for him that he didn't finish any of his chances.  But what a player.  Some people think he should go out on loan - not for me.  Let him stay here, learn from Nuno and the coaching staff, give him a run out every so often and it'll happen for him. 

Conor Ronan - looks about 12, plays like he's 15 years older than he looks.  Remarkably strong for such a slightly built player, oodles of ability on the ball and treated us to a bizarre sight of constantly winning the ball from Leroy Sane and blitzing Zinchenko with his electric pace.  Has hardly played in the first team so far but again, if called upon, I'd have every confidence in him.

(Cav and Bonatini were the other subs but they're first team regulars so no need to review them here).

Sorry to all non-Wolves fans for my constant fawning on this thread, but it's very very hard to remain grounded when we put in the kind of performances we've seen this season, are top of the league and so very nearly beat Man City, who started the game with Aguero, Jesus and Sterling!  And even brought on KDB, Sane, Walker etc.  For all the disappointments we've had over the years, these are times we should make the most of.  I just hope we can keep it going but even if we're hit with injuries to first team players, last night showed me that in most cases we've got plenty of talent on the fringes of the squad to come in and contribute to the promotion push.

This is easily the best Wolves side I have seen in my lifetime.

@Boothjan great write up, it really does feel like something special is brewing at the moment.  Completely agree, best Wolves team in my lifetime too.

Joining Steve Bruce in the 100% legit reasons we couldn't beat Wolves (In normal time) society is Pep Guardiola, who's team failed to put five or six past Wolves reserves due to the poor quality of the ball!

Now, if I were a Manchester City fan, I'd be wondering why their £500m front line can only score goals with a ball of an exact weight.  Seems like a limitation they shouldn't really have.

Having said that, if the ball was the correct weight, maybe Bright and Costa would have put their chances away ;)

Anyway, got my ticket for QPR away this weekend and cannot wait!

32 minutes ago, Plissken said:

To be fair to Pep, this cup is organised by the Football League, and considering the way they have run this competition and the Checkatrade Trophy, it wouldn't surprise me if the official ball for this competition was square.

Is this to do with not being able to lift the trophy when you won it?  That was pretty shit to be honest.

Vinagre Watch!

This is 18 year old Ruben Vinagre - in his 8th senior appearance - making £53m Kyle Walker look like a complete mug.

Also worth noting that Walker had been on the pitch for about 10 minutes, as opposed to Vinagre's 115.

57 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Is this to do with not being able to lift the trophy when you won it?  That was pretty shit to be honest.

That hadn't occurred to me.  It was more them doing the draw for the previous round live from Thailand (?) at 4 in the morning, only on Twitter. and then managing to screw the whole thing up.

For the record, I read Peps comments this morning and gave me a chuckle to start the day.  Other managers are going to have to up their excuse game.

34 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Vinagre Watch!

This is 18 year old Ruben Vinagre - in his 8th senior appearance - making £53m Kyle Walker look like a complete mug.

Also worth noting that Walker had been on the pitch for about 10 minutes, as opposed to Vinagre's 115.

PLZSIGN

Just got in.  Bit drunk, and the view at QPR is shit, so keep that in mind.

Poor performance today on a tight tight pitch which QPR made the most of.

QPR really made space hard to find and Wolves struggled to get any rhythm together.  They had few chances but they made the most of them, fair play for that.

At 1-1 Wolves produced three great chances and they wasted all three, the culprits being Bonitini, Jota, and finally Bright Enobekari (sp)

We really should have won even though we didn't deserve to.

Saiss man of the match for me.

I expect to lose to Norwich on Tuesday and Friday's game against Fulham could go either way, but we tend to have a bad patch at this point in the season, so I'm not too worried, I think we have enough class to pull through.

I expect in 7 days time we'll sit about 4th in the table, but that's fine, I have no doubt we'll bounce back up.

EDIT:- just saw Cardiff drew, so make that third place in 7 days.

CE0BE370-BFF6-4BF2-90E4-C9B8376757D4.jpeg

Villa 2-0 up away at Preston, tempting fate here but if we hold on for the win then that's 19 points from 24 available, a run which included some very tricky away days. It's quite the turnaround after a dreadful start. 

We aren't conceding goals at the minute, it's just four in our last ten games, seven clean sheets in that run. Kodjia and Hogan have got one goal between them too, so unlike last year when Kodjia was pulling up trees and papering over cracks the team are really sharing the goals around. I think Kodjia will go on a hot streak at some point too, he's still not quite right after a serious injury. 

Watched the Villa v Preston game and I was surprised how easy it seemed to be for Villa to be honest having watched both teams live recently.

Preston really looked decent to me against Wolves, but offered not a lot last night.

Having said that their defence has been affected by injury quite badly.

Villa did well though, although I thought it was a bit rich singing 'SOTC' after a 0-0 draw at the weekend.

Villa's run has been amazing after a crap August, I expect them to be tough to stop now.  Who do Villa have at the weekend?

It is looking bad for Blues, must have been sweet for Brentford that win after Harry bought a load of their best players in the summer.

Wolves v Fulham tomorrow.  We usually get a result against them, and I'm remarkably calm, I think Fulham only have one way of playing and I think thats a passing game which Wolves are just better at I believe.

Should be a good game to watch.

Brentford fans to Blues fans last night:

"You bought our team but you fucked it up" :lol:

@dr_manhattan^ - agree with you regarding Fulham.  It should be a gameplan that suits us.  There really isn't another team in this league who can match us with a similar style assuming we play well.  So we need to keep going and put in a good performance.  If we do that, we should win.

Sitting in the Steve Bull lower tomorrow for the first time in years - it must be over a decade since I was last in there!  Looking forward to it.

Another really enjoyable match day as a Wolves fan. Some lovely football on show, and I thought we were very comfortable. I wasn't worried at any point during the game.

Neves was magnificent. Ran the game, covered every blade of grass. He's just a fabulous footballer - and great news that he's been called up to the Portugal squad. 

Loving this season. And another international break is a bit annoying - I just want our next game to arrive!!