EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Naysonymous

12 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Tbf Villa's strategy of standing off and watching didn't really hinder Wolves. They look good but we offered fuck all yesterday. 

Have to agree, Bruce got his tactics totally wrong on Saturday.

I saw in his press conference that Bruce hadn't seen Wolves play live this season, and it showed in the match.

I said on VillaTalk last week that if I was Villa, I'd try and press our central midfield two and make sure our wing backs were pressured and harried all game, invite pressure on, play on the break, and for set pieces.  This didn't happen at all, and as a result, our midfield two were happily spreading balls across the pitch all game, stretching Villa who had to do a lot of running, on top of this, Villa didn't get their first corner until the last ten minutes, and it was Wolves who played on the break with Villa's back four terrified of Jota running at them.

I would be very angry with Bruce if I were a Villa fan, he fucked up.

Don't know if there are any West Brom fans on here? But i've been listening to talksport more and more lately on BBC WM as I drive home. I find it odd how so many of their fans (admittedly it's a small percentage that get in touch with the show), but how many now see Villa as being the 'big' derby of the West Midlands. I don't get how that's coming about, it's always been wolves v albion, villa v blues. So why do West brom fans seem to be swinging towards the villa? I don't really hear anything similar from the other 3 clubs...

Is this down to the short stint where both teams were in the prem and so it's grown from there?

I think a lot of it was when Wolves were much further down the leagues, and in the 80's Villa and Albion were both decent sides.  Wolves simply weren't anywhere near them until Bully arrived and transformed us.  Then we met Albion again in the 2nd tier and it reignited the old rivalry.  There's definitely a lot of history between the sides and no love lost.  Plenty of my mates hate Villa more than us - which they've got from their dads who were following them in the 70's/80's. 

Also, there's plenty of crossover in the catchment area for the two clubs.

Am I right in thinking that the Hawthorns is a lot closer to Villa Park than it is to the Molineux?

Looks like another big Molineux crowd tomorrow - I'm in the North Bank upper for this one and really looking forward to it.  I think it'll be a bloody tough game as Preston look like a good side.  They keep it tight at the back as well - I think they've only conceded 8 so far this season.  We'll have to play well to win this.  

I think I'd start with the side who came out for the 2nd half against Villa, so that's Bonatini for Costa.  And I might bring in Vinagre for Douglas to inject a bit of pace down the left.  

Inconceivable that I've said I'd drop Helder Costa!!  I believe that's what's called 'progress'.

25 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Looks like another big Molineux crowd tomorrow - I'm in the North Bank upper for this one and really looking forward to it.  I think it'll be a bloody tough game as Preston look like a good side.  They keep it tight at the back as well - I think they've only conceded 8 so far this season.  We'll have to play well to win this.  

I think I'd start with the side who came out for the 2nd half against Villa, so that's Bonatini for Costa.  And I might bring in Vinagre for Douglas to inject a bit of pace down the left.  

Inconceivable that I've said I'd drop Helder Costa!!  I believe that's what's called 'progress'.

Agree with most of that, although I think I'd keep Douglas in myself.  I think at 18 Vinagre can dip a bit form wise, especially against the more physical / better teams, where as Douglas is more consistant, which you'd expect.

I'm also in the North Bank upper tomorrow, first time in there for a few years.

I also expect it to be a tough game, and I'm worried that, after beating Villa, the crowd will expect us to easily beat Preston, who I don't think have lost since August.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Agree with most of that, although I think I'd keep Douglas in myself.  I think at 18 Vinagre can dip a bit form wise, especially against the more physical / better teams, where as Douglas is more consistant, which you'd expect.

I'm also in the North Bank upper tomorrow, first time in there for a few years.

I also expect it to be a tough game, and I'm worried that, after beating Villa, the crowd will expect us to easily beat Preston, who I don't think have lost since August.

I'm not so sure about that TBH mate - Preston have been up around the top 6 all season, they're no mugs and I don't think the crowd will dismiss their threat.  The crowd have been great this season and I'd hope they'd show enough patience if we have problems breaking them down.

Just now, Boothjan said:

I'm not so sure about that TBH mate - Preston have been up around the top 6 all season, they're no mugs and I don't think the crowd will dismiss their threat.  The crowd have been great this season and I'd hope they'd show enough patience if we have problems breaking them down.

That is very true.  The crowd have been amazing this season.  I think the atmosphere will dip after last week though.

In other news, who doesn't love a night time trip to St Andrews?!

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

It was horrible at Molineux last season - I was in the South Bank and the atmosphere was VILE.  Sorry to say that I heard a lot of racist abuse from some of our fans as well.  

That's not good, I very very rarely hear any, although I did double take earlier this season sitting in the Billy Wright upper, an older guy remarked on how many black players we have, can't remember why, I think he was just struggling to name people, I looked at the pitch and Bright Enobakhare was the only black player on the pitch for Wolves!

It’s been a month or so since my last rant, but after today’s result (Boro), it’s warranted...

Howson - Utter turgid in the centre of field, he is simply out of his depth in our team. I don’t know why he was so highly rated at Norwich but he lacks any of the skills required for even mediocrity. Clayton was on the bench today and he’s twice the player this guy is. Drop him from the squad. 

Assombalonga - I said it before and I’ll say it again; if he doesn’t score, he doesn’t provide anything to the team. He can’t hold it up, even though he looks strong, and he can’t win a loose ball in a foot race, even though he looks fast. I genuinely don’t see what all the fuss is about, we’ve had better strikers who have been more effective when they aren’t sticking the ball away. We’ll never get 15m back for him, lucky for half of that. 

Randolph - The first couple of games I thought we had made a shrewd signing but it’s clear where at least part of West Ham’s troubles come from. He’s clumsy, not very receptive and can’t command his box. We almost conceded a handful of goals in the last few games alone just from him dozing about on the ball in his 6 yard box. It is strange though, he’s also capable of pulling out some cracking acrobatic saves. Give him a rest on the bench. 

Overall though, this isn’t like last time in the Karanka-era when we were smashing teams left, right and centre; I used to go to games knowing that we would rarely concede and likely come out with a win, failing that we would at least give a good account of ourselves. Monk doesn’t seem to know his best team, he keeps swapping our formations and plan B seems to be: throw 5 strikers up front for the final 15 minutes at 1-0 and hope for the best. We need Bamford in, scores two goals in the cup but doesn’t get a fair crack of the whip, what’s that about? We also need Fry back, and whilst I’m not his biggest fan, he’s got the makings of another Ben Gibson if he cuts out the silly mistakes. Finally we should get back to 4-2-3-1 for stability unless he really wants to go for flair - currently we have neither. 

I dread to think what will happen if it doesn’t shape up, next up at home: Sunderland :(

I thought we were way below par except for 15 minutes at the start of the 2nd half when we destroyed them.

But we almost threw it away. Again we had a bottle job ref who hadn't a clue what to do. I thought Preston played good stuff but resorted to some pretty sly tactics like Cardiff did. With such a weak ref it can work. 

Bizarrely I think Preston would have fared better using their abilities on the ball rather than their cynical attitude off it - but we've come away with 3 points having not played well against a very good team and a terrible referee.

I'm delighted with the win. Bonatini was brilliant and my MOTM. 

Having seen the highlights - bit lucky with the penalty.  Preston lad who got sent off had no complaints - I assume he had to be brought back on to officially get his yellow?  What was the handbags about?

Also: WTF was that Leeds physio doing going at the Bristol bench?  Seemed to be accusing them of getting his guy sent off but I don't think I've seen a clearer headbutt!

About to watch the highlights back, but I was impressed with Preston's pressing all game, it nearly worked for them. 

From the other end of the pitch it looked a penalty but I'll have to see that back. 

I'll be honest, I don't like this ref, seen him twice this season and he seems to think it's all about him. 

I thought Preston were lucky with their second goal, but all game they didn't let us rest on the ball. 

A good win for Villa too, Fulham are a decent side who will be up there at the end of the season. We are in 5th now and even though it doesn't feel like it we are top of the form table. The small matter of Small Heath away next, then tricky games against Preston and Sheffield Wednesday. Come through that lot with 5-7 points and I'll be happy. 

Local journo dropping some stats into the mix:

Wolves also have an academy product currently away with the England U17's.  And playing well.  We've got plenty of academy prospects either in the squad or on the cusp of it.  So Bruce is not only bitter, he's also wrong or rather misinformed.

It is a bit embarrassing, I actually feel a little sorry for the Villa fans, they must be cringing about it all.

@Boothjan how do you feel about tomorrow night?  I kinda wish we weren't playing.  We have a busy couple of weeks coming up, and I don't think much good can come of tomorrow night (aside from a Wolves win, which is about 100-1 shot).

I think we should play our cup team, but then again, the 6,000 Wolves fans going deserve us to give it a shot.  What do you think Nuno will do?

Not sure TBH mate! We're good but City are obviously at a different level. Even their 2nd team is ridiculous. I'd imagine the likes of Neves, Jota and co would love to play against them but we've also got to keep them fresh for QPR.

I think there'll be changes in defence. Norris, Boly and Hause should start. 

The only player I really hope isn't risked above everyone else is Bonatini as we have no one else who can deputise for him!

11 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Not sure TBH mate! We're good but City are obviously at a different level. Even their 2nd team is ridiculous. I'd imagine the likes of Neves, Jota and co would love to play against them but we've also got to keep them fresh for QPR.

I think there'll be changes in defence. Norris, Boly and Hause should start. 

The only player I really hope isn't risked above everyone else is Bonatini as we have no one else who can deputise for him!

All good points.  Agree especially about Bonatini.  

We actually played a strong defence against Bristol Rovers, but I agree, if Boly is fit, good game for him.  I'd also play Costa - he needs the game time I think.