rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Naysonymous

EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

3 minutes ago, diddlydennis said:

That's good to hear. He was a great servant to Norwich and I'm sure he would've wanted to stay on if finances had allowed. Hope he gets another shot at the England squad at some point. He's nowhere near good enough to be first choice but would be good to see him get a few caps in friendlies. Really nice chap.

There's no question that he's improved since last season - I suppose some players just need a fresh start somewhere else.

And as much as Carl Ikeme is a great guy, a terrific servant to Wolves and obviously I wish him all the best with his battle with his illness, Ruddy is a better keeper.

Ruddy + Norris is a significant upgrade on Ikeme + Lonergan.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

There's no question that he's improved since last season - I suppose some players just need a fresh start somewhere else.

And as much as Carl Ikeme is a great guy, a terrific servant to Wolves and obviously I wish him all the best with his battle with his illness, Ruddy is a better keeper.

Ruddy + Norris is a significant upgrade on Ikeme + Lonergan.

Yeah, he did maybe seem to stagnate a bit for the last season or two with us, but that's true of a lot of our players. With Norwich being so isolated it can become a bit of a vacuum sometimes and I think players can get too comfortable. Everyone looks fitter and 'hungrier' (I hate that word, these guys can afford a sandwich or two) since the big restructure we've had over the summer.

Bennett looked raw but with bags of potential when he first arrived from Peterborough. Sadly he just never improved. Still a competent player but only at lower level Champ/top of League One I'd say. Guessing he joined your lot because Lambert wanted him and it was too late to pull out by the time he'd been sacked.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree with @Boothjan

I do worry that Ruddy doesn't seem to claim as many crosses as I'd like, but I think that could be because we're playing some weird as shit useless zonal system, where Ruddy's zone on crosses seems to be the back of the net.

He's claimed every single ball in that zone to be fair to him.

Norris looks fantastic to me, his distribution is also wonderful from what I've seen.

• Upvote 1

I think you're right re: the zonal marking.  We've really not mastered that yet.  He doesn't need to claim as many crosses as you would with 2 centre halves, because primarily, Coady has been in the middle of a back 3 and sits that little bit deeper meaning Ruddy hasn't had to come to claim some of the high balls into the box.  But it's not like he stays rooted to his line, and even then lets the ball bounce in front of him (hi, Andy Lonergan - again - you useless tosspiece).

@diddlydennis- is Matt Jarvis still with you?  He was fantastic for us.  And what have you made of Farke so far?

21 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I think you're right re: the zonal marking.  We've really not mastered that yet.  He doesn't need to claim as many crosses as you would with 2 centre halves, because primarily, Coady has been in the middle of a back 3 and sits that little bit deeper meaning Ruddy hasn't had to come to claim some of the high balls into the box.  But it's not like he stays rooted to his line, and even then lets the ball bounce in front of him (hi, Andy Lonergan - again - you useless tosspiece).

@diddlydennis- is Matt Jarvis still with you?  He was fantastic for us.  And what have you made of Farke so far?

He is. Christ knows when he last played though. Has been crocked forever. Just looked it up - 14 appearances since Sept '15. He did look a decent player when he first joined but since then has just been a constant drain on the wages.

Too early to say on Farke. Loves to play possession football, which I quite enjoy watching but 90% of Carrow Road will get on his back after 2 minutes because of all the sideways passing. 'GET IT FORWARD!!!'.

We were woeful in the first few games but now have 5 clean sheets on the trot (also playing the zonal system, seems to have clicked now - it can take a while!). Really struggling to score goals at the minute but hopefully when Oliveira is back fit that should change. I think the general consensus around Norwich fans is top six would be lovely, but anywhere in the top half would be considered a successful season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, diddlydennis said:

Too early to say on Farke. Loves to play possession football, which I quite enjoy watching but 90% of Carrow Road will get on his back after 2 minutes because of all the sideways passing. 'GET IT FORWARD!!!'.

Oh god - I hear that all the time!!  @dr_manhattan^ - does this sound familiar to you?? :lol: I find it incredible just how many people go to matches yet don't have an ounce of footballing knowledge or patience.

What a shame about Jarvo - he's one of my all time favourite Wolves players.  The last Wolves player to play for England, in fact.  Never quite understood why he was always stuck on the right wing at West Ham.  Yes, he's right footed but was much more effective on the left.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Oh god - I hear that all the time!!  @dr_manhattan^ - does this sound familiar to you?? :lol: I find it incredible just how many people go to matches yet don't have an ounce of footballing knowledge or patience.

What a shame about Jarvo - he's one of my all time favourite Wolves players.  The last Wolves player to play for England, in fact.  Never quite understood why he was always stuck on the right wing at West Ham.  Yes, he's right footed but was much more effective on the left.

Yeah, I get that it can be frustrating at times but Farke seems willing to mix it up and we won't just be knocking it around on the halfway line in the 89th minute if we need a goal, which I have seen teams do. He also seems more proactive than a lot of managers we've had of late, willing to make substitutions earlier or change formation if things aren't working. Under both Alex Neil and Chris Hughton we were very one dimensional so it's good to see. I'm still just trying to get accustomed to all our new players to be honest. Think we brought in something like 12 new faces over the summer and I work every other weekend so haven't got to any games yet, it's taking a while to figure out who's who. 

13 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

You know what, yes in the past, but not this season, people seem to have bought into the Nuno way from what I've seen.

Agree about Jarvis, him and Kitely (still can't spell his name) were a force.  I was at the Villa away game when Jarvis scored a volley in front of the Holte End the weekend before his England call up.

That was the first time we'd beat Villa in my lifetime.

I was sorry to hear about Kevin Doyle's retirement due to head issue last night too.  Hope he's ok.

I’m just ducking in to say, hats off to Norwich for selling us the tripe that is Howson; comfortably the worst midfielder I’ve seen at the club since any of those in the Strachan-era. How he is keeping Leadbitter and Forshaw out of the side is beyond me. 

• Upvote 1

Wolves were brilliant today - going forward we were absolutely frightening and it really should have been 6 or 7 today.  But I'll take 4-0!!

Neves back to controlling the game, Cavaleiro created 3 of the goals, Jota a constant threat, Costa managed 50 minutes and showed some old Helder magic too - and still time for our only striker to come on and score the 4th.

A mention too for Ruben Vinagre - only 18 years old but fucking hell he's one hell of a player.  He's played less than 10 senior games but has a ridiculous amount of stamina, strength, control, pace and natural ability.  The way he burst forward for our 3rd was terrific, and he should have scored a 5th when put through in the 2nd half.  All this from left wing back!!  He's SUCH a talent.  Remember the name.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, smithstock said:

I’m just ducking in to say, hats off to Norwich for selling us the tripe that is Howson; comfortably the worst midfielder I’ve seen at the club since any of those in the Strachan-era. How he is keeping Leadbitter and Forshaw out of the side is beyond me. 

He'll come good! Was gutted to lose him to be honest, but in hindsight perhaps he was anonymous in too many games. When he's on form he's unstoppable though. 

Nope,

Spoiler

Grant Holt was on loan here a couple of seasons ago.  He was like a cart horse put out to pasture.  Except he didn't score.

TBH Big Iwan did fuck all except score a hat-trick at the Hawthorns so he's always going to be a cult hero here for that one game.  Which was the last time we won there. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Nope,

Hide contents

Grant Holt was on loan here a couple of seasons ago.  He was like a cart horse put out to pasture.  Except he didn't score.

TBH Big Iwan did fuck all except score a hat-trick at the Hawthorns so he's always going to be a cult hero here for that one game.  Which was the last time we won there. 

I was at Molineux for that game.  I was 16 at the time and we were having a meal for my great grand mother's 90th.

I got to welcome the team back, was wonderful.

We won the home game that season 2-0 too, I think the same striker scored in that game as well.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I was at Molineux for that game.  I was 16 at the time and we were having a meal for my great grand mother's 90th.

I got to welcome the team back, was wonderful.

We won the home game that season 2-0 too, I think the same striker scored in that game as well.

He did indeed - scored the 2nd after Dean Richards scored the opener with a bullet header from a corner.  Great day that - both goals were right in front of me as I had a ST in the family enclosure that season. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

He did indeed - scored the 2nd after Dean Richards scored the opener with a bullet header from a corner.  Great day that - both goals were right in front of me as I had a ST in the family enclosure that season. 

Ah yes!  I remember Deano scoring now!  Well remembered!  

I would have been in the family enclosure at the time I think.

Bought my ticket and train tickets for Villa yesterday.  Gutted to not be in the South Bank.  I'll be in the Billy Wright upper trying to remember to behave myself and keep quiet.

• Upvote 1

I've got my kids again that weekend so I think I'll fork out for a month's Sky Sports pass (the Fulham game is on a few weeks late so might as well) and be an armchair fan!  

That really could be a cracking game - Villa fans are getting a bit cocky after their recent good form so it'd be nice to get one over them.  If we play like we did on Saturday, Villa will have to be at their best to get something out of the game.  I reckon they'll be dangerous from set pieces though - our main weakness at the back.  Either way, it's a big game and hopefully it'll be an exciting one.  I'd quite like a Wolves-Villa double promotion TBF.  

Stupid international break getting in the way though!!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I've got my kids again that weekend so I think I'll fork out for a month's Sky Sports pass (the Fulham game is on a few weeks late so might as well) and be an armchair fan!  

That really could be a cracking game - Villa fans are getting a bit cocky after their recent good form so it'd be nice to get one over them.  If we play like we did on Saturday, Villa will have to be at their best to get something out of the game.  I reckon they'll be dangerous from set pieces though - our main weakness at the back.  Either way, it's a big game and hopefully it'll be an exciting one.  I'd quite like a Wolves-Villa double promotion TBF.  

Stupid international break getting in the way though!!

As usual I agree with everything you've said here.

I was thinking about watching on TV too, but later kick off means more beer before hand, and I dunno, Wolves v Villa always seems like a special game to me, I even think the two kits look great on the pitch together.

I feel really confident about the game too, although, as you say, a set piece could ruin everything for us.

I have my parent's season ticket for the Preston and Fulham games, I'll go to Preston, but Fulham is a Friday night, which is awkward for me, so TV might win.

I'll have a word with my boss.

EDIT:- Villa fan's thoughts:

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/16885-pre-match-buildup/

• Upvote 1

@dr_manhattan^ how is Ruben Neves doing for you guys? I know nothing about him other than him being absolutely brilliant on the last couple of football manager games and was a regular signing for my teams and I grew very fond of him!  

Is he as good in real life as he was for me at Burnley during our 2019/2020 Europa League cup run?! 

• Upvote 2

Neves is absolutely fantastic.  Ridiculous to think he's only 20.  He was slightly off the pace over a few games a few weeks back but most of the time, he orchestrates the whole game from midfield.  He did just that on Saturday - such a good footballer.  Scored a belter at Hull in August too.  He's made Romain Saiss a better player as well - he seems to be able to pick passes that he has no right to, he's very tidy in possession, he's always on for a pass, he gets stuck in and makes plenty of interceptions.  I love him.  

Having said that, I think Diogo Jota has made an even better impression.  Again, only 20.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boothjan said:

Neves is absolutely fantastic.  Ridiculous to think he's only 20.  He was slightly off the pace over a few games a few weeks back but most of the time, he orchestrates the whole game from midfield.  He did just that on Saturday - such a good footballer.  Scored a belter at Hull in August too.  He's made Romain Saiss a better player as well - he seems to be able to pick passes that he has no right to, he's very tidy in possession, he's always on for a pass, he gets stuck in and makes plenty of interceptions.  I love him.  

Having said that, I think Diogo Jota has made an even better impression.  Again, only 20.

Yep, that sounds like my Ruben alright! 

I suspect you have worries about him leaving for something bigger in the summer, even if you get promotion? Or is his relationship with the manager the key to him staying? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RickyDVT said:

Yep, that sounds like my Ruben alright! 

I suspect you have worries about him leaving for something bigger in the summer, even if you get promotion? Or is his relationship with the manager the key to him staying? 

If we don't go up, he'll leave.  And we won't sign Jota, Vinagre, Boly or Bonatini - all of whom are here on loan for the season with the option to buy.  If we DO go up, he'll still be here.  We've got very rich owners who would no doubt spend even more if we were in the Premier League. 

Obviously his relationship with Nuno is important but Jorge Mendes undoubtedly has more of an influence over things.

There have been signs that Neves has found some Championship games a struggle but I think it's worth pointing out his age and personal circumstances (just become a father for the first time, still living in a hotel, just moved to a new country etc) and he's played well in far more games than not.  He's only going to get better.

Having such players in the Championship is crazy TBH - it's a pleasure to have them at my club. 

• Upvote 2

Agree with @Boothjan

Thing I've noticed about Neves is he can effortlessly make a bad situation into  a good one.

Time and again I've seen him receive a less-than-ideal pass with two or three men close to him, and he seems to be able to take the ball, and reposition himself well before laying a simple looking ball calmly across the floor.

Just keeps things ticking over.

No worries about any of them leaving this summer, I've heard Jota, I think it was, say they'll be here at least two years, plus they can see we're building something special here, a mini algarve.

The other thing is, Neves played 16 games in the whole of last season, and he's already played 11 this year.

They seem to be loving it.

• Upvote 1