rllmuk
Naysonymous

EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Looking forward to seeing how Cardiff v Leeds pans out tonight.

Means very little at this stage of the season but a draw in this match then 6 points from us v Sheff U and Burton would see us top over the international break. 

I would definitely take 4 points from our next two fixtures, mind, making it a second 7 point haul two weeks running. 

2-2 tomorrow and 1-3 v Burton. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, LoGoWolf said:

Means very little at this stage of the season but a draw in this match then 6 points from us v Sheff U and Burton would see us top over the international break. 

I would definitely take 4 points from our next two fixtures, mind, making it a second 7 point haul two weeks running. 

2-2 tomorrow and 1-3 v Burton. 

Me too, I think we'll lose tomorrow.

I think it's just one game too far, our players looked knackered to me on Saturday.

7 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Me too, I think we'll lose tomorrow.

I think it's just one game too far, our players looked knackered to me on Saturday.

Even if they did, we had one hell of a bench. Nuno won't hesitate to make changes if he thinks they're needed. I just thought we were a bit slack as opposed to knackered.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Boothjan said:

Even if they did, we had one hell of a bench. Nuno won't hesitate to make changes if he thinks they're needed. I just thought we were a bit slack as opposed to knackered.

Maybe.  Seemed to me our passing was looser than it has been, and where as in the past, when on the ball, our players always seemed to have two or three passing options, on Saturday that just wasn't the case, which led to mistakes.

This could of course just be to Barnsley playing well.

You are right, our bench was wonderful, I'd expect Alf to start tomorrow, interestingly, I might be tempted to rest Neves.

I wonder how fit Costa really is, I noticed he didn't join the half time warm up with the rest of the subs on Saturday.

I was so made up for Bright, I really like him.  I was in the middle of the south bank.  Was scenes.

• Upvote 1

Another win for Villa, the short trip into Staffordshire to Burton. Not getting too carried away even if 4-0 away from home is an emphatic win because all we are doing really is beating teams we should be beating, there hasn't been enough of that in recent years and I've seen a number of false dawns but I'd like to think we will beat Bolton at the weekend to put us right in the playoff spots before a really tough looking run of fixtures in October and November where we seem to play the entire top six and have the derby against Small Heath.

We definitely look a hundred times better with Kodjia in the team an Snodgrass looks too good to be wasting his time in the Championship. The defence looks solid too now, we've conceded 10 goals so far which is good but nothing to write home about until you consider 7 of those were in a week in August and it's four clean sheets in five since the international break. I'm optimistic at last but the next 8-10 games will probably define our season. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Looking forward to seeing how Cardiff v Leeds pans out tonight.

Panned out very well for one team!!

Poor old Leeds just seemed to fall apart when we scored the first, cracking second goal from Holliet then they had a guy sent off.

To be fair - they had some chances second half and had a go despite being down to 10 men, but the damage was done.

Great win for us especially as both our, pretty much every present this season, central midfielders were out injured.

I'm sure it won't happen again, but  last time we beat Leeds when they were top of their current division (in the Fa Cup 3rd round 2002) it began their decline.

• Upvote 1

First time this season I've seen either Cardiff or Leeds. 

Wasnt impressed with Leeds at all, but Cardiff looked great, that third goal in particular was lovely. 

Villa are starting to worry me, three wins on the bounce. 

I have to say, I thought the win against Forest at the weekend flattered Villa, but you can't argue with the results. Playing bad and winning is impressive. 

Also Villa have probably made our trip to Burton at the weekend harder now, just as they did against Barnsley a couple of weeks ago. 

Thanks Obama! (Bruce). 

Teams will be just as worried about us - no doubt about that.  We've got a very tough game tonight - 4 points from tonight and Saturday would be an excellent return.  That would give us 24 points from 11 games which is still above the 2 ppg average you need to be challenging for the top 2.

Great result for Cardiff - I hope we can do the business tonight.  Wish I could be there - it'll be a good atmosphere and a very tough test.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Teams will be just as worried about us - no doubt about that.  We've got a very tough game tonight - 4 points from tonight and Saturday would be an excellent return.  That would give us 24 points from 11 games which is still above the 2 ppg average you need to be challenging for the top 2.

Great result for Cardiff - I hope we can do the business tonight.  Wish I could be there - it'll be a good atmosphere and a very tough test.

Yeah I'd rip your arm off for four points.

Our trip to Burton last season came at the end of a tricky week where we played Liverpool and Barnsley both away and lost to Burton in the last minute, probably due to fatigue.

This season it comes again at the end of a three-game week, hopefully we can do the business this time.

Three points tonight would take the pressure off.  Worried about our zonal marking tonight though.

• Upvote 1

Ha - you've been a Wolves fan for too long mate!

A below-par performance last time should mean a better performance tonight, no?  Trust in Nuno - I don't think he'll stand for Dave Edwards-esque mediocrity and not change things.  He didn't seem happy with Saturday's performance.  If he sees some players aren't at their best, they'll make way for those on the fringes of the first team.  A sign of our squad depth:

Ruddy = Norris

Batth/Coady/Miranda = Hause made the bench the other day.  

Vinagre = Douglas (I expect to see this change tonight)

Doherty = Marshall

Neves/Saiss = N'Diaye

Jota/Cavaleiro = Bright, Costa (still yet to kick a ball this season!)

Bonatini = he could maybe interchange those around him as we appear to have plenty of strength in depth behind the striker, who comes deeper than they do frequently.

So out of all those who started on Saturday, there was someone either on the bench or currently fit and able to come in for them with the possible except of Leo Bonatini who is our only real indispensable player in terms of his style.

I didn't mention Bennett, Deslandes, Price, Ronan, Gibbs-White, WIlson, Zyro in the above possible changes.

And we're still waiting for Ofosu-Ayeh and Boly to come back who you could argue would be first choice in their respective positions.

We shouldn't be too worried with fatigue, not at this stage.  If we do, that shows how well equipped we should be to deal with it.  Zonal marking I absolutely agree with you - needs some work.  If we play the same way we did v Brizzle City and Derby in particular, we should come away with a win tonight.  If we play like we did on Saturday, Sheff Utd will be in with a chance of turning us over but I wouldn't accept an excuse of fatigue from Nuno if that happens.

• Upvote 1

@Boothjan Haha!  Pretty much!

That's not really true though, I'm generally super optimistic about things, and this Wolves team plays the best football I've ever seen.  Don't get me wrong, I think Sheffield United are in for a very tough game, I'm just worried that there seems to have been a slight drop in performances.

I think all things being equal we probably win this game 6 or 7 times out of ten, I'm just being honest about what I've seen after watching the last four home games.

Having said all that, one thing I've been impressed with with the Wolves team is the fight.  When they need a goal, they almost always get it, the only exceptions being Brentford away and Cardiff at home.

At 3-3 against Bristol City they were pushing for the win, and there was real drive last Saturday in the 91st minute onwards to get the winning goal, which they did, so maybe you're right, maybe it's not fatigue.

I have real deep man love for Nuno.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we'd probably have got 1 point from Brizzle/Barnsley last season.  It's great to see this new determination from the side this season.  They really don't give up until the final whistle and the way they celebrated the winner and full time on Saturday speaks volumes.  These lads actually seem to care!  I think it's just the high standards we set so early on.  We can't play at that standard week in week out - it's not realistic no matter how great it would be!  But even a performance like Saturday's is MILES better than last season.  

And you can't have Nuno - I was there first. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah we'd probably have got 1 point from Brizzle/Barnsley last season.  It's great to see this new determination from the side this season.  They really don't give up until the final whistle and the way they celebrated the winner and full time on Saturday speaks volumes.  These lads actually seem to care!  I think it's just the high standards we set so early on.  We can't play at that standard week in week out - it's not realistic no matter how great it would be!  But even a performance like Saturday's is MILES better than last season.  

And you can't have Nuno - I was there first. 

haha!

Agree 100%

Alright, it was against Sunderland.

But it's not often Ipswich fans get to enjoy a 5-2 win full of attacking football.

Bersant Celina (on loan from Man City) and David McGoldrick were on fire.

Wolves guys, has Ruddy been playing? How's he getting on? Assume Bennett's not been in the first XI since he's shit, but would be good to hear how our old lads are doing. Always rated Ruddy but in Gunn I think we've got an upgrade. Seems more switched on and less prone to the odd mistake that'll cost you a goal. Shame we've got to give him back at the end of the season, mind.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, diddlydennis said:

Wolves guys, has Ruddy been playing? How's he getting on? Assume Bennett's not been in the first XI since he's shit, but would be good to hear how our old lads are doing. Always rated Ruddy but in Gunn I think we've got an upgrade. Seems more switched on and less prone to the odd mistake that'll cost you a goal. Shame we've got to give him back at the end of the season, mind.

Ruddy has done really well.  There have been a few games when he's saved us a point or even 2 points with some top class saves.  He's been really good at commanding his area and his distribution is pretty good.  Really pleased with him.  He HAS conceded a couple of poor goals (the one at Forest for example) but TBH he's more than made up for those.

I think he's the best, most consistent keeper we've had in a while now - we also got Will Norris from Cambridge who is his back up, and he looks brilliant.  Only a young lad but will push Ruddy for the number 1 spot - in my experience, Wolves keepers tend to fare better when they've got some genuine competition and we've really not had that in YEARS.  Andy Lonergan was Ikeme's backup last season, and this gif best sums Lonergan up:

4pGTjdePRYSV5SxAvzkj_Dog%20Just%20Barely

Bennett has hardly featured, and I don't really know why we signed him.  He's nowhere near as good as Boly, Hause or Miranda and Batth has played well when called upon and Romain Saiss has been moved back to centre half on occasions.  So he's 5th choice centre half at best.  He's no better than Richard Stearman, who I was relieved didn't rejoin us at the end of his loan last year.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Ruddy has done really well.  There have been a few games when he's saved us a point or even 2 points with some top class saves.  He's been really good at commanding his area and his distribution is pretty good.  Really pleased with him.  He HAS conceded a couple of poor goals (the one at Forest for example) but TBH he's more than made up for those.

I think he's the best, most consistent keeper we've had in a while now - we also got Will Norris from Cambridge who is his back up, and he looks brilliant.  Only a young lad but will push Ruddy for the number 1 spot - in my experience, Wolves keepers tend to fare better when they've got some genuine competition and we've really not had that in YEARS.  Andy Lonergan was Ikeme's backup last season, and this gif best sums Lonergan up:

4pGTjdePRYSV5SxAvzkj_Dog%20Just%20Barely

Bennett has hardly featured, and I don't really know why we signed him.  He's nowhere near as good as Boly, Hause or Miranda and Batth has played well when called upon and Romain Saiss has been moved back to centre half on occasions.  So he's 5th choice centre half at best.  He's no better than Richard Stearman, who I was relieved didn't rejoin us at the end of his loan last year.

That's good to hear. He was a great servant to Norwich and I'm sure he would've wanted to stay on if finances had allowed. Hope he gets another shot at the England squad at some point. He's nowhere near good enough to be first choice but would be good to see him get a few caps in friendlies. Really nice chap.

• Upvote 2