rllmuk
Naysonymous

EFL Championship 2017/18 - All Welcome!

Was thinking about the Norwich v Wolves play-off semi the other day actually. Was gonna ask if any of the forum's resident Wolves fans were there, but I'm not sure there's any team in the Championship that haven't beaten Wolves in the playoffs at some point so it's unlikely to have stuck in the memory :)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I watched the first leg in tv. All seemed good when Sturrage opened the scoring. 

I honestly dont remember anything after that. 

Did Wolves win the second leg?

Aye, 1-0. Was 0-0 for most of the game though, not sure if away goals would've counted? Who cares. Annoyingly I missed both games as I worked pretty much every hour I could at the local pub at the time...an unfortunate necessity due to sinking all my earnings on the other side of the bar...

I managed to get to the final though. Best atmosphere I've ever experienced...up until Brum's winning pen, anyway. 

• Upvote 1

I would have been at the second leg, I just cannot remember it. 

The whole squad and fans and everything connected to Wolves was so deflated at the time. We blew a twelve point lead, we were clear at the top for some time but got overtaken by Man City and Albion right at the end of he season. 

It was was hard to take. We had very little chance in the play offs. 

Then Albion and Birmingham ended up getting promoted it was horrible. 

Following season we won the play offs though. 

In play offs semis I think we've lost to Bolton, Palace, Norwich, Albion, and Aldershot.  We beat Reading though.

• Upvote 1

Was looking at playoff stats the other day, surprisingly wolves don't hold any of the worst records despite that! 

Preston having 10 appearances and one promotion is pretty galling. Blackpool won 10 games on the trot at one point! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, diddlydennis said:

Was looking at playoff stats the other day, surprisingly wolves don't hold any of the worst records despite that! 

Preston having 10 appearances and one promotion is pretty galling. Blackpool won 10 games on the trot at one point! 

Really interesting! 

I do actually love the play offs, keeps the season interesting for longer, and the Championship play off final is like the new FA Cup usually an exciting game with fans who really appreciate being at Wembley and celebrate a win like nothing else. 

2 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Really interesting! 

I do actually love the play offs, keeps the season interesting for longer, and the Championship play off final is like the new FA Cup usually an exciting game with fans who really appreciate being at Wembley and celebrate a win like nothing else. 

Yeah, they are great and the final is usually a good one to watch for the neutral.

Our record of two appearances, a penalty loss at Cardiff and comfortable win at Wembley possibly affects my judgement though. We never expected to go up that season we played you guys so the Cardiff trip was just a great day out and the defeat wasn't too difficult to take. My nerves were shot all through the Ipswich semi and 'Boro final a few years back though. Great in the end but at the time I'd much rather we'd finished 2nd.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Wolves 1-0 Milwall at half time. 

Wolves are honestly playing just amazingly well. 

Millwall look a good ball playing side, but we're in control at the moment. 

Absolute Worldie from Jota

Yeah we should have won by more but the final pass was sometimes lacking and when we did get through, Millwall's keeper did really well and made some top saves.

Jota was outstanding. As was Saiss. We look like a very good side. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the Millwall keeper had a great game. 

That save from Saiss shot second half was wonderful. 

I thought Milwall defended well, but it seemed like a training session at times with Wolves happy to just keep moving the ball around the pitch, seemed like we could have stepped it up if needed. 

at the end of the match as soon as the whistle went about seven Millwall players collapsed to the floor, which showed just how hard they must have worked. 

Six clean sheets from eight games this season. 

And to top it off, Luke Skywalker is a Wolves fan. 

22 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

Lots of chatter about Steve Bruce and Villa again. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, I'm sure he can keep is up. 

I'm interested to see how you get on against Boro tonight. 

I heard lots of unhappy Villa fans on the radio WM phone in last night. 

Problem with sacking Bruce would be the new manager would have to work with the players he brought in not only because of the window but could Villa really afford to bring many new players in?

When is Kodja due back?

He played for the U23s last night so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench tonight. It's desperate stuff under Bruce though, results have been awful since February/March time, we just don't look like scoring and the team is incredibly slow. Thing is I've got such little faith in the board to replace Bruce with anyone decent (we would almost certainly end up with Moyes or Pardew or someone of that ilk) that we might as well hope Kodjia does the business when he's back in the team. The board seem well intentioned but lacking in any kind of competent plan. We are almost certainly going to go the way of Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

He played for the U23s last night so I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench tonight. It's desperate stuff under Bruce though, results have been awful since February/March time, we just don't look like scoring and the team is incredibly slow. Thing is I've got such little faith in the board to replace Bruce with anyone decent (we would almost certainly end up with Moyes or Pardew or someone of that ilk) that we might as well hope Kodjia does the business when he's back in the team. The board seem well intentioned but lacking in any kind of competent plan. We are almost certainly going to go the way of Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday. 

I have to say, I fear the same for Villa, I think the board have just got the strategy completely wrong, and I can see a stay in the Championship for a while.

I think Villa have to go up this year to avoid that, I think the longer they stay down here the harder it'll get, size of ground and fan base don't have the same effect as they used to, as you say, look at Forest, Leeds, and Wednesday, then look at Bournemouth.

It seems to me Villa tried to do what Newcastle did last season, it's just Villa did a much worse job of recruitment.

I saw at the weekend the Beesotted twitter account said that Villa were spending £1m a week on wages.  That has to scare you knowing parachute payments will only go down from here on and a lot of the players recruited you won't be able to sell on, and clubs won't be keen on paying those wages for them.

54 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

You look at the age of the squad too, lots of thirtysomethings who will all need replacing. It's a gamble on short term fixes paying off and it looks destined to fail.   

Exactly.  If I was at Villa, I'd be trying to get rid of some of those older players in January as the market is generally inflated then.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Still makes me laugh. G'wan, Wolfie!!  :lol: 

We won that game 6-1 as well!  Colin Lee's first match in charge IIRC.

Thats the one! That Irish striker we had scored four. Forgot his name. 

• Upvote 1

Fabulously entertaining match. Sort the set piece defending out and we're away. On another night we win that game 5-2. Cav, Doc, Vin and Jota were all excellent. 

As as for the ref, well. Didn't give us a thing all night. Nobody claimed for their penalty and the linesman, who had a better angle, signalled for a corner. 

On to Sat v Forest. Win there and it's still been a great week. 

• Upvote 2

Oh, and Jota. Amazing that he plays for Wolves. Kid's going right to the top. Real Madrid top. Gets battered every game by the opponents but takes it all in his stride. Genuinely can't wait to see him and Costa in the same side. 

• Upvote 2

First of all, I was impressed with Bristol City, they pressed all game with lots of energy, and combined with the weather it made things difficult for us, also, that player they have on loan from Albion looks dangerous, thought our defenders did well against him, never diving in.

Having just watched the goals back though, and being as unbiased as possible, I think Bristol were lucky to get a draw, their three goals all had a big slice of fortune to them, and five goals would not have flattered us.

I initially thought that it was a fair penalty for Bristol and us, but having watched it again, I don't think either should have been awarded.

Overall, the game makes me confident for the rest of the season, there won't be a team in the league we don't cause problems, and a bit of work at defending set pieces and we'll be ok.

I was also impressed with the character of the Wolves players, they felt they were hard done by by the officials, but they did not give up, they stood tall, and every time we needed a goal they went and got one. I felt against Milwall we had a few more gears to go up and I think last night proved that to be true.

Totally agree about Jota, he's worth the price of the match ticket on his own, thankfully we have a few players like that.

Two points a game, very happy with that.

I'd back us to beat Forest.

IMG_1441.JPG

Boros Traore red card appeal rejected, yet Henri Lansbury gets his rescinded for hacking down someone. 

The FA are a joke. 

Fair enough Traore caught the guy with his trailing leg and it was daft and excessive but at least he went for the ball. Lansbury full on whacked the guys leg as he was running away. Could have been a bad injury. Seems harsh to let one off and not the other.

@Naysonymouswhat do you think?