rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Das Boot TV sequel coming to Sky

All episodes are up to watch now - I was a bit cautious as love the long from original movie, but the first 2 eps were pretty good.

In trying to expand the story (its a reboot not a retelling) the story is split into 2 strands, with 1 set on the u-boat and one featuring a French resistance storyline set in Larochelle

The sub scenes are brilliantly done (its the same production company) and I want to see how things pan out. It also does that thing I quite enjoy of co-funded productions of being in multiple languages, its far more authentic.

I had to double check but a certain 'a girl has no name' actor features prominently as a Nazi investigator too.

Worth checking out and doesn't seem to take any liberties with the 'sacred cow' classic it's based on.

Didn’t know Wolfgang Petersen wrote the original as well as directing. He did some pretty good work when he went to Hollywood - In The Line of Fire is underrated I think and The Perfect Storm shows he had more in the tank on the ‘men at sea’ theme.  

Also, The Never Ending Story! 

Edit - sorry, think the above makes me sound like a Happy Shopper @Goose. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

had to double check but a certain 'a girl has no name' actor features prominently as a Nazi investigator too.

Thank you! I was sure I knew him from something else.

I'm about half way through the original source novel at the moment, and it's a brilliant and tense exploration of daily life on a U-boat. There's not been much engagement with the enemy yet, but I'm still gripped. The description of what it was like during a storm is particularly good.

Not seen the film in about 20 years, and I'm keen to see the full length original TV series to see how much of the book made it in.

I've got a couple of episodes left to go on this, but it's been really good so far. The U-boat side of the story is much better than the resistance sections, I find. So, so tense.

The episode I watched last night, mainly focussed on the U-boat crew, was gripping but I also found it severely depressing

Spoiler

It's the one where they almost die on the seabed, but then later come across an 'abandoned' merchant ship. There was just so much horrific behaviour all round, it really hit me how grim things can get in terrible situations like that. I switched off and went to bed after it and it's made me a bit wary of finishing it now. I don't think there will be any happy endings for anyone.

Episode 6 referenced above in spoilers has been the stand out so far - just fantastic tension and freewheeling flipping of emotions as you see awful acts and decisions followed quickly by great bravery - I know its fiction but you can't imagine the horrors or choices a lot of people suffered during WW2.

The resistance storyline has grown on me too - initially I just wanted it all set in the U boat but can see with a series you need another story/viewpoint to break things up a bit.

One of my fave series of recent times. 

Currently watching this with two episodes to go. Enjoying the sub based storyline but I have zero interest in the French based story - apart from the brother/sister there's sweet FA connecting them. 

I've never seen the film as I'd seen the original TV series as a kid and I can't imagine how the could cut down something 7hrs long down to a 3hr film. 

Edit - My goof, just read the 80s TV show was after the cinematic release... Wonder if it was effectively a Director's cut of the film. :blink2:

Finished the show this morning; I doubt I'll watch SE2 if it ever surfaces... the stuff back at the base/ town was just pointless.