SNES Mini

deKay

Just now, Charles said:

I must admit, I don't have much sympathy for people paying rediculous money on ebay for Snes preorders. It seems silly to commit to paying a huge mark up when it has yet to be determined if these will end up being supply restricted at all. 

thats why

1) ebay should not allow it, you are effectively buying something the vendor cannot possibly commit to selling - what if the pre-order gets cancelled?

2) nintendo should release a statement regarding production, and to ease fears after their last debacle

2 minutes ago, churchhawk said:

No mate, just pre order then pay in store on the day....well thats what i did with the switch.

Thanks dude! Just pre-ordered. If my housemate doesn't want/need this one it'll be up for grabs on here for face at launch. :) 

3 minutes ago, ulala said:

thats why

1) ebay should not allow it, you are effectively buying something the vendor cannot possibly commit to selling - what if the pre-order gets cancelled?

2) nintendo should release a statement regarding production, and to ease fears after their last debacle

Yes to both. But the third option, just don't press the buy button on a rediculous eBay listing, would also appear to be a sensible solution. 

33 minutes ago, Majora said:

Don't get too excited about Donkey Kong Country, it was only noteworthy at the time because of the graphics and music. It's a very mediocre platformer on its own merits, with some really shit collision detection, and especially when compared to Retro Studio's take on it.

Earthbound deserves being bolded more than that.

I think it's more just that DKC is one of those iconic SNES games that I remember as a kid and having a SNES and a collection like that, which outputs over HDMI is really, really appealing to me.

It's basically what I always wanted as a kid (not the HDMI bit, specifically).

Great to hear that Super Castlevania is highly regarded, too.

I really saw the NES as a bit of a novelty - nothing on there I want to sit down and seriously play, but Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Punch Out, FFIII, Star Fox and Kirby are all games I can see myself getting a lot of value from.

Mario Kart will also be pretty amazing to play with the wife's niece and nephew - their first ever MK has been 8.

21 minutes ago, ulala said:

Haven't they pretty much done that already:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017.

I mean it's not specific numbers, but they have generally said they'll be making them until the end of this year. So not a long-term production for them, but not a tiny run either.

21 minutes ago, ulala said:

The SNES Classic follows the NES Classic, which went on sale late last year but abruptly discontinued in April - much to the frustration of fans.

Nintendo said limited resources were to blame, but insisted it would not make the same error with the SNES.

"We aren't providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition," a Nintendo spokesperson said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40413325

Just now, rgraves said:

I mean it's not specific numbers, but they have generally said they'll be making them until the end of this year.

I thought that with the mini nes, and look what hapened.

and of course, the mess with releasing the UK version first before the US pre-orders, and the fact that it is aproximately 127.463% better looking than the US versions, means it could still be rare.

35 minutes ago, churchhawk said:

In stock for collection at Smyths ( pre order )

Thanks. Cancelled Very and went with them to save on shipping.

Disappointing that they've put the price up a tenner since yesterday but still. If both them and GAME are looking good for launch day I'll broom GAME. Smyths are infinitely better.

2 minutes ago, ulala said:

I thought that with the mini nes, and look what hapened.

and of course, the mess with releasing the UK version first before the US pre-orders, and the fact that it is aproximately 127.463% better looking than the US versions, means it could still be rare.

Yeah that's the thing. People making excuses for them not making more of the NES Mini due to manufacturing difficulties appear to be completely overlooking the fact the US version also has a different body, further complicating the fabrication process, and perhaps even tempting US buyers to buy the EU edition. We'll probably end up with none being available here and a surplus of the US model :lol:

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah that's the thing. People making excuses for them not making more of the NES Mini due to manufacturing difficulties appear to be completely overlooking the fact the US version also has a different body, further complicating the fabrication process, and perhaps even tempting US buyers to buy the EU edition. We'll probably end up with none being available here and a surplus of the US model :lol:

The Famicom Classic also had a different body - though I guess with the SNES all 3 are different due to the lettering on the Super Famicom.

Really wish I'd bought a Famicom Classic, and would probably buy a close to RRP US SNES too.

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah that's the thing. People making excuses for them not making more of the NES Mini due to manufacturing difficulties appear to be completely overlooking the fact the US version also has a different body, further complicating the fabrication process

What difference does that make? They know that in advance, they have planned for that. They have the lines setup to manufacture that.

Your problem is that you appear to think Nintendo could just decide to make more NES mini units on the spot after closing down that initial run - but that was almost certainly not possible. The costs to setup the lines again would have probably been pretty big, it would have taken quite some time to schedule, and also doing so probably meant taking that line away from something else (like Switch/3DS/SNES mini). They just don't have an infinite production capability - as is clearly being shown by the current Switch situation.

I'd actually probably even bet that, right now, if they could go back in time and plan again they'd knock back the SNES mini a bit and use that capacity to crank out more Switch units. But that's the value of hindsight.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

I don't think you need to spell this out. Everyone is aware of what's happened. The question is whether they could have managed things better. I believe they could have. To not have any sort of contingency is poor management.

Everyone wasn't aware as I've seen plenty of people saying 'There is no reason for them to stop making NES's' when there clearly was reasons, both manufacturing and marketing related. I understand though as consumers we don't care, we just want what we want.

They didn't have a contingency plan as that was never their plan to manufacture both alongside each other.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

So now is the first time I've actually looked at the list of games and I'm actually really excited to play a lot of these games:

That is pretty bloody amazing and all of a sudden £79.99 doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

I'm so happy about the list of games included. Last year I had to sell off a huge chunk of my prized SNES games collection, and it still hurts when I think about some of the classic cartridges I had to let go (most were fully boxed, complete and in beautiful condition too), but I at least managed to hang on to a few favourites that I just couldn't bear to part with. The best thing about the list of games that we're getting with the SNES Mini is that it tallies almost perfectly with the games I had to sell, so, for example, the fact that the three Star Wars games aren't included works out really well for me as those three are among the few loose carts I held on to. I also kept Super Mario All-Stars and three other personal favourites (Sensible Soccer, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe and Alien 3) and so the only games I didn't sell that are going to be on the SNES Mini are Super Ghouls N Ghosts and Super Metroid, both of which I can now put up for sale in order to help pay for the new console. I lost Pilotwings, Stunt Race FX and Zombies too, but at least I can pick them up again as loose carts at some point (I'll never see the mint-boxed examples I had of those beauties again though, sadly).

The fact that we're also getting previously unavailable titles like Starwing 2, Earthbound and Super Mario RPG is just the icing on the cake. :)

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

"manufacturing and marketing related" sounds awfully vague to me. Management fuck up is more accurate.

You've had this explained to you. Manufacturing meant they had X amount of factory time booked to make NES's before switching over to SNES's. Marketing means they had the SNES to sell as their retro console this year. There was no fuck up. This is their plan. You don't like it, that's fine but you're plucking excuses out of thin air when the reasons are obvious.

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

"manufacturing and marketing related" sounds awfully vague to me. Management fuck up is more accurate.

OK Stanley. You're management at Nintendo. What would you have done to make more NES units:

1) Made fewer 3DS units over xmas? (this was their main hardware at that point remember)

2) Made fewer Switch units for launch? (this was their next big thing remember)

3) Made fewer SNES mini units for launch? (they needed to launch with a decent number so as not to repeat the NES mini remember)

4) Made fewer Amiibo units (these were selling as fast as they could make them with a most likely huge mark-up remember)

You talk like just making more NES units would have been a 'free' move for them. Like they had a factory somewhere with a big red 'make NES mini' button waiting to be pressed.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

OK Stanley. You're management at Nintendo. What would you have done to make more NES units:

1) Made fewer 3DS units over xmas? (this was their main hardware at that point remember)

3) Made fewer SNES mini units for launch? (they needed to launch with a decent number so as not to repeat the NES mini remember)

4) Made fewer Amiibo units (these were selling as fast as they could make them with a most likely huge mark-up remember)

You talk like just making more NES units would have been a 'free' move for them.

are we assuming they are made by the same people in the same factory?

Just now, ulala said:

are we assuming they are made by the same people in the same factory?

No, I would assume they are spread around multiple factories and facilities (both in terms of manufacture and then assembly/packing). Obviously only certain places can make stuff like Switch.

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

You talk like just making more NES units would have been a 'free' move for them. Like they had a factory somewhere with a big red 'make NES mini' button waiting to be pressed.

Nintendo haven't said they produced too few NES Minis due to manufacturing constraints or other hardware commitments. 

Perhaps they could scale back SNES Mini in order to fulfill their doubled Switch quota. Perhaps they could they could halt 3DS productuon, etc. 

That's not how business works.