Jump to content

SNES Mini


deKay
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 08/02/2019 at 12:12, Thor said:

Should I give Yoshi's Island more of a chance, or is it the steaming turd it appears to be?

 

Thank you good sir. I too hate it, and people always accuse me of being mad.

 

I forced myself through half of it, and it never improves. The level progression is always linear, unlike the original Super Mario World. The requisites to attain 100% on each level are ridiculous - it's not about finding an alternative exit, but collecting rubbish and tat, and finishing with 100% health. The reward for collecting all this crap, in every level in each world, is a single extra level which is overly difficult and crap.

 

The original SMW is in fact perfect when it comes to secrets and rewards. Each secret gives you an entirely new piece of content to play through and, in some cases, find more levels.

 

Yoshi's Island is just a painful slog through a swamp of trash collecting.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Has anyone managed to get the Final Fantasy GBA games working properly on the Mini? I've updated to Hakchi v3.7.0 and tried both gpSP and mGBA and the sound is always garbled. Every other GBA game I've tried has been fine but the Final Fantasy games never work properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Bit of a bump here, but been playing on this with my niece and nephew and it's a blast. One thing that has seriously annoyed me though is my continual inability to pull off some special moves in SF II!! Like WTF!? Back in the day it's what turned me off SF and I'm still finding it impossible now. Seriously how is that possible?

 

For example the most annoying one is Chun Li's fireball. I've never been able to do it yet it should be a snap. I can do Ryu's no problem but that extra 1/4 seems to evade me. Is there some weird knack I'm missing? So embarrassing..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I set up my Mini the other day as my nephew came over and we played some games. He did try to relieve me of the console on the way out because I keep it packed away when it's not in use (so clearly I "must not use it that much") but it's great for a quick spot of co-op Kirby.

 

I do want to pick up FFIII on the Mini again sometime - it was my first proper attempt at playing the game but I abandoned it, and then played through it on my RS97. So my Mini save is a piece of unfinished business that's been taunting me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Bit of a bump here, but been playing on this with my niece and nephew and it's a blast. One thing that has seriously annoyed me though is my continual inability to pull off some special moves in SF II!! Like WTF!? Back in the day it's what turned me off SF and I'm still finding it impossible now. Seriously how is that possible?

 

For example the most annoying one is Chun Li's fireball. I've never been able to do it yet it should be a snap. I can do Ryu's no problem but that extra 1/4 seems to evade me. Is there some weird knack I'm missing? So embarrassing..


This is why Capcom continually try and make moves easier to do. They were much more strict back in the day.

 

Street Fighter V has shortcuts for specials (hitting down/forward twice +p is recognised as a dragon punch motion) and they have characters like Ed and Falke who’s special moves are nothing more than pressing 2 buttons together.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm totally down with making specials difficult but a half circle and a button press shouldn't be that hard, should it? I literally sat for about 30 mins continually attempting it and didnt pull it off once.. That's really weird. Which leads me to believe there's some knack to it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I set up my Mini the other day as my nephew came over and we played some games. He did try to relieve me of the console on the way out because I keep it packed away when it's not in use (so clearly I "must not use it that much") but it's great for a quick spot of co-op Kirby.

 

I do want to pick up FFIII on the Mini again sometime - it was my first proper attempt at playing the game but I abandoned it, and then played through it on my RS97. So my Mini save is a piece of unfinished business that's been taunting me.

 

I completed Super Castlevania on the Mini, and for it felt way more special than playing it on the Switch collection, or on some dodgy rom.

 

Going to do the same for Bloodlines on my PCE mini,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gizmo1990 said:

I'm totally down with making specials difficult but a half circle and a button press shouldn't be that hard, should it? I literally sat for about 30 mins continually attempting it and didnt pull it off once.. That's really weird. Which leads me to believe there's some knack to it?


Isn’t Chun Li’s fireball a charge move? Also I can’t recall which SF2 is on the snes mini, but did she actually have it as a move originally or did they add it later?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


Isn’t Chun Li’s fireball a charge move? Also I can’t recall which SF2 is on the snes mini, but did she actually have it as a move originally or did they add it later?

 

I think it depends on the version? Half circle + punch or charge move depending on which flavour of SFII you're playing?

 

It's been a while since I played SFII admittedly.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


Isn’t Chun Li’s fireball a charge move? Also I can’t recall which SF2 is on the snes mini, but did she actually have it as a move originally or did they add it later?

 

It was half circle on Hyper Fighting/Turbo. They changed it to a charge move later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm trying it on the Mini now and I struggle to get it out consistently. The timing feels very strict - it's like if you're walking backwards you need to roll the half-circle in the middle of the walking animation, without seeing her crouch.

 

Also maybe trying different "Turbo**" speeds (from the main menu) may help?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I'm trying it on the Mini now and I struggle to get it out consistently. The timing feels very strict - it's like if you're walking backwards you need to roll the half-circle in the middle of the walking animation, without seeing her crouch.

 

Also maybe trying different "Turbo**" speeds (from the main menu) may help?

 

Her crouch was leading me to believe that I was doing something wrong too. But I've just been giving it another go, I'm nothing if not persistent, but I just can't get anything to happen.:rolleyes: I can't even find examples of her performing the fireball on yt, in order to check whether there's a crouch frame in there, which is just plain bizarre! Performing a half circle must surely initiate a crouch shouldn't it? I mean, you're pushing down , right? Because she always crouches when I try it. The fact that I've not managed a fireball ever, not once, is really really odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Start slow and build up. If you’re exhausting your thumb you need to slow it down. This is Turbo, so also make sure that the game speed is as slow as it’ll go.

 

Yes, you can do it slow enough that you see the crouch frame/s. You can also push it fast enough that you don’t. Make sure that the punch button press is synced with the forward input, it doesn’t follow it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Start slow and build up. If you’re exhausting your thumb you need to slow it down.

 

Yes, you can do it slow enough that you see the crouch frame/s. You can also push it fast enough that you don’t. Make sure that the punch button press is synced with the forward input, it doesn’t follow it.

 

You just beat me to this post. Sage advice. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.