8 hours ago, carlospie said:

How does a SNES mini even run a psone game, such witch craft. Are they playable? 

From what i have seen it runs ps1 games much better than the pi. The only issue being it doesn't quite have as much buttons as a ps1 pad does (i haven't used an original pad for so long, does it have two shoulder buttons either side or just the one?).

The NES/SNES hardware is better than the pi . I never had much luck running ps1 games on my pi2+ as too much fps issues.

• 1 month later...
On 19/10/2018 at 21:31, Darhkwing said:

From what i have seen it runs ps1 games much better than the pi. The only issue being it doesn't quite have as much buttons as a ps1 pad does (i haven't used an original pad for so long, does it have two shoulder buttons either side or just the one?).

The NES/SNES hardware is better than the pi . I never had much luck running ps1 games on my pi2+ as too much fps issues.

4+4+2 vs 4+2+2

T O X S L1 L2 R1 R1 start select  vs. A B X Y L R start select

• 1 month later...

The only thing I found iffy was not including an actual plug. But it's fine powered a by a USB port. Christ, I could bring it work and plug it into my docking station here...

I'd never get any work done!! 

16 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

It's the gold standard for affordable retro mini consoles. If only the Neo Geo mini and PSX classic had been as good.

I've never used a psx classic, but I really like the Neo Geo. It's a neat little machine, and whilst it's light on options, save states are there and it has let me play stuff that I've never played before in an affordable way that works on my LCD TV, without resorting to piracy.

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of an AES or CD plus all the games and a way to make it look decent on an LCD TV. Is it 100% in terms of emulation? No. Is it good enough that someone like me that probably won't ever use an original Neo Geo won't notice? I think it probably is, yes.

19 minutes ago, Dudley said:

In all honestly I think SMB3 is better than SMW.

I've always thought this too, but then All stars was my first game, and I didn't play World until at least when the N64 was out so was never sure if it was rose tinted or not. In fact I played Yoshi's Island before World too (and also prefer that, but probably due to the crisp visuals and incredible music..)

18 hours ago, Soulstar said:

I’m currently playing mine and love the system too. Surprised by the news of ps1 games being pretty good, I wondered if it was worth getting a wireless receiver for it? Anyone’s know much about the 8bitdo ones? 

I love their stuff! I bought their PCB DIY kits to change those controllers into Bluetooth ones and bought the dongles separately to go with it. It's very straight forward, you basically press the front sync button on them which looks for a device and on the controllers you do a combination like START+B to make it sync to that particular one. It works across almost anything. I also have the receivers that work on the original NES and SNES.

6 hours ago, Freeman said:

I've never used a psx classic, but I really like the Neo Geo. It's a neat little machine, and whilst it's light on options, save states are there and it has let me play stuff that I've never played before in an affordable way that works on my LCD TV, without resorting to piracy.

I can't even begin to imagine the cost of an AES or CD plus all the games and a way to make it look decent on an LCD TV. Is it 100% in terms of emulation? No. Is it good enough that someone like me that probably won't ever use an original Neo Geo won't notice? I think it probably is, yes.

The actual console's pretty good. The pads lacking microswitches (or proper clicky 8-way movement) are an abomination.

6 hours ago, Freeman said:

I've always thought this too, but then All stars was my first game, and I didn't play World until at least when the N64 was out so was never sure if it was rose tinted or not. In fact I played Yoshi's Island before World too (and also prefer that, but probably due to the crisp visuals and incredible music..)

I've basically not played that, I should give it a proper punt. It is certainly beautiful.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Should I give Yoshi's Island more of a chance, or is it the steaming turd it appears to be?

I think it's one of the best games ever made. But to be honest if you don't love it straight away, given that it doesn't really change, I'd leave it if I were you.

I'm right near the end of SMB3, having done every level in the game up to the point I'm at, which is something I never did when I had the NES as a kid, or All Stars on the SNES years later. It's a gaming wrong that I am judiciously putting right. :)

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Should I give Yoshi's Island more of a chance, or is it the steaming turd it appears to be?

I'd deffo say give it another go / a bit more time as IMO (and most other peoples tbh) its superb so perhaps it just hasn't clicked yet.

Of course maybe it's just not for you, but I found that I didn't gel at first / it took me a good while (easily 10hrs +) to get into Hollow Knight (both it and Y.I being universally acclaimed is why I mention it) and I'm now really very glad that I stuck at it :)