Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Oh wow. Just spent some time adding Retroarch to mine. I think heaven.

 

Also apparently it’s super easy to replace the menu audio with any PCM encoded WAV file you have lying around. So that’s a project right there, finding a suitable replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only issue with the music replacement is that a short .wav file of reasonable quality will probably take up several MBs of space at a minimum. That's a lot of extra game room gone - unlike with, say a modified skin or wallpaper which are tiny files (my wallpapers range from 20kb to a whopping 160kb).

 

Also - be sure to run the games_snes folder through a compression tool like PNGauntlet. I gained something like 22MB with no visible loss of image quality to my icons. A literal game changer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-11-2017 at 06:45, spanky debrest said:

You can play this on a 4:3 panel by using Retroarch's video options to rescale the 16:9 image - but obviously everything apart from the individually configured Retroarch titles (when launched) will remain horizontally squished.

 

So simply using a HDMI >> SCART converter isn't going to give me instant retro satisfaction?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

 

So simply using a HDMI >> SCART converter isn't going to give me instant retro satisfaction?

 

I'm afraid not as the Snes Mini only outputs 16:9 video. Your 4:3 CRT / panel might have video scaling abilities / options to mitigate this but realistically not all that likely.

 

Other options (aside from using retroarch scaling options) might include using hardware designed for Raspberry Pis and CRT use (like the 'Pi-to-Scart') but even those tend not to simply 'work' without propietary software and editing config.txt files, from what I understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh, I don't think it's quite the best selection of SNES games on there (where's Pilotwings ?), but overall I really like it. A superb trip down to memory lane.

Holding that controller again for the first time in over 15 years really took me back to that time after school we went down to the local indie to have a go on Street Fighter II or Star Fox. Or those rainy weekends spent trying to get a bit farther in Super Metroid or TLoZ: A Link to the Past. Truly a fantastic little bundle even though the actual console feels cheaply built - but then again it's just a big and fancy memory stick.

 

I hope the do a N64 mini, alhtough I don't know what size they'd make the controllers really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Man, I seem to have had a lot more patience as a gamer in the 90s. I mean how the hell did I ever got to the first boss in Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts ? And why can't I throw my weapon downwards?

 

Games were challenging back then.  I completed one round of SGnG, and have a mate that finished it fully.  You just learned it and got good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, iirc, I found it too hard to be enjoyable even back in the day, while at the same time still being able to finish MD Ghould 'N Ghosts - properly, two times in a row. I think it was the lack of ability to shoot downward that made it seem so hard. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

To be fair, iirc, I found it too hard to be enjoyable even back in the day, while at the same time still being able to finish MD Ghould 'N Ghosts - properly, two times in a row. I think it was the lack of ability to shoot downward that made it seem so hard. It's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

 

Super Ghouls n' Ghosts is quite different to its predecessor. The key difference is in its switching out the ability to perform up and downward attacks in exchange for a double jump; reducing base offensive options whilst theoretically increasing mobility for its larger, more death-pit laden levels. 

 

I don't think it's anywhere near as good a game as the arcade original (or its Mega Drive port) but it's got the early '90s Capcom charm (glory) in spades. I loved it back in the day (what with Ghouls n' Ghosts being my favourite game of all time - back then at least) but I still haven't got around to watching it run on the SNES mini. I don't think there's much point without a couple of hours and patience levels I don't seem to have anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sealflap said:

Does anyone play with an arcade stick? I saw that the Capcom vs - branded one works from the Wii and I'm curious as to whether it's worth it or not. 

 

The Tatsunoko vs Capcom stick?  It's a great stick especially when modded with Sanwa parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

I don't think it's anywhere near as good a game as the arcade original (or its Mega Drive port) but it's got the early '90s Capcom charm (glory) in spades. 

 

Thats sad to hear as I loved the Megadrive version and at one point around 1991 could complete the whole thing, two play throughs then the final boss, on a single life. Was looking forward to playing the SNES version after all these years but a bit disappointing it’s not as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

 

Thats sad to hear as I loved the Megadrive version and at one point around 1991 could complete the whole thing, two play throughs then the final boss, on a single life. Was looking forward to playing the SNES version after all these years but a bit disappointing it’s not as good.

 

I think my view is probably a bit fringe, there's a lot to like about Super GnG - I just adore the earlier game. Many people prefer Super Ghouls n' Ghosts and consider it a solid upgrade - it's a bigger, more impressive visually and sonically, has more weapon variety and generally more bells and whistles. The atmosphere in some of those later levels needs to be experienced again if it's been a while, I'd say.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, womblingfree said:

 

Thats sad to hear as I loved the Megadrive version and at one point around 1991 could complete the whole thing, two play throughs then the final boss, on a single life. Was looking forward to playing the SNES version after all these years but a bit disappointing it’s not as good.

 

just different, i love them both

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dug out an old USB adapter cable and HMDI extender, so now I can power the thing without having to unplug the Roku and it drags the unit half-way across the floor so the controllers don't have so far to reach. Much better now. :)

 

Which two-player games are good on this thing? I tried a few with the missus but only Mario Kart held our interest so far. Street Fighter is hilarious for two people who can't play Street Fighter. :lol: The Kirby Golf game is kinda boring. Donkey Kong and Mario World are "take-turns" games. I don't think she'd like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy, and the latter isn't really two-player anyway.

Maybe Contra?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sprite Machine said:

I dug out an old USB adapter cable and HMDI extender, so now I can power the thing without having to unplug the Roku and it drags the unit half-way across the floor so the controllers don't have so far to reach. Much better now. :)

 

Which two-player games are good on this thing? I tried a few with the missus but only Mario Kart held our interest so far. Street Fighter is hilarious for two people who can't play Street Fighter. :lol: The Kirby Golf game is kinda boring. Donkey Kong and Mario World are "take-turns" games. I don't think she'd like Secret of Mana or Final Fantasy, and the latter isn't really two-player anyway.

Maybe Contra?

 

Contra is a wonderful 2-player game for a bad-ass couple.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.