rllmuk
deKay

SNES Mini

I managed to walk into a JB Hifi here today and pick one up off the shelf for a workmate. There’s talk of Costco getting decent size restocks and an online site here has also had them back up for sale.

Aren’t they bringing back the NES Mini too? I saw my local CEX selling that for €200. 

yeah but they are relying on desperate xmas shoppers or manbabies want their toys now! now! now! who will pay a premium instead of waiting 

Remember, the high prices in cex and eBay are 100% down to Nintendo.

they messed up the nes mini, I still do not have one. 

This brought out the scalpers for the SNES mini, and the lack of trust after the previous debacle have caused the same again.

where is the press release from Nintendo saying they will meet demand?  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pockets said:

CD83E1B3-AC70-446B-A1C4-CFBEE31441D4.thumb.png.fe6b1772efcbb2de4ab75da29e636347.pngAnd done. What now?

Once you do bowsers castle did you redo the game with the changed theme? I don't think much changes gameplay wise except the enemies and backgrounds but can't remember

I should finally be getting mine today, as I'd ordered it to get delivered to my cousin's house originally and it's been there for the last few days. 

Can't say I've been this excited to play a bunch of games I've already had access to play the whole time before. I think it's the fact it's going to both limit what I play and force me to go through them thanks to buying it, combined with hype and the fact that this thing should always have some sort of worth value over anything unofficial. 

Also looking forward to handling a genuine pad of Nintendo quality for the controls and not some crap reproduction like the thing my other cousin introduced me to after bringing his little nes knock off mini to a recent family party thing. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RetroPlays said:

Once you do bowsers castle did you redo the game with the changed theme?

I didn't even do that back in the day, just looked at the changes briefly and then moved on. 

3 minutes ago, Soulstar said:

Can't say I've been this excited to play a bunch of games I've already had access to play the whole time before. I think it's the fact it's going to both limit what I play and force me to go through them thanks to buying it, combined with hype and the fact that this thing should always have some sort of worth value over anything unofficial. 

Also looking forward to handling a genuine pad of Nintendo quality for the controls and not some crap reproduction like the thing my other cousin introduced me to after bringing his little nes knock off mini to a recent family party thing. 

This is exactly how I was feeling!

Besides being an official product with "proper" controllers, it also lets you focus on the included games and get your money's worth, rather than loading up random Roms and playing each for 30 seconds, like I used to do on my modded Xbox.

I can't wait for the reissued NES mini next summer as I really regret not buying that on release.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

£110. and they even waived their bulk-buying and proof of purchase policy.

Thing is, if Nintendo come through with stock like they did with Amiibo's, and Reggie says they will this time, then it's CEX who'll be losing out.

They're making £40 from each sale. That's a hefty margin.

4 minutes ago, StoooTube said:

This is exactly how I was feeling!

Besides being an official product with "proper" controllers, it also lets you focus on the included games and get your money's worth, rather than loading up random Roms and playing each for 30 seconds, like I used to do on my modded Xbox.

I can't wait for the reissued NES mini next summer as I really regret not buying that on release.

Many of these games I haven't played in like 22 years either so it's going to be an amazing nostalgic throwback but also feel fresh at the same time. If anything the only thing that will have ruined mario or metroid is seeing it on YouTube for the millionth time not even intentionally. 

I never grew up playing the NES and so I wouldn't appreciate the NES mini anywhere near as much. 

I recently watched Fight Club for the second time round last Sat night with a gap of 15 years since I last saw it. That was an amazingly fresh experience although knowing the twist beforehand made the film even better as I saw it from an entirely new perspective. This quickly made it into my fav films list as I'd forgotten how good it is. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, ulala said:

Remember, the high prices in cex and eBay are 100% down to Nintendo.

they messed up the nes mini, I still do not have one. 

This brought out the scalpers for the SNES mini, and the lack of trust after the previous debacle have caused the same again.

where is the press release from Nintendo saying they will meet demand?  

They've already said that they'll be producing it well into next year and restarting NES mini production as well.

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

If anyone wants one they have a couple in CEX on Tottenham Court Road.

FDD8CE62-F014-47AD-A522-076833BCBC9E.jpeg

CEX, making big business out of being scalping cunts. I hope it back fires and they are left out of pocket. 

2 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

CEX, making big business out of being scalping cunts. I hope it back fires and they are left out of pocket. 

That is their entire business model, in fact it's the model of every business.

supply and demand.

their risk is that Nintendo will not restock sufficiently or in time, it's a good bet!

My local CEX has 8 (yes 8) of them in the window, all boxed, all mint, all £150.

Also there are a shit-tonne of them on AVForums at the moment, ranging from £80 - £110 plus delivery.

Not to mention the masses on ebay.

None of them are selling.

I'd trust in Nintendo this time, there will be plenty shipped. Scalpers got burnt with Amiibos, and I think the same will happen with the SNES Mini.

I agree that the Mini's aren't selling at extortionate prices and I think CEX are being pretty crazy offering £110 for them and asking for £150.

• Upvote 1

Started playing Yoshi’s Island before, and it is a lovely platformer. The visual style still looks great, and you can’t help but hum along to the music even after all these years. I still find it fairly tedious in places though - jumping in every nook and cranny looking for hidden stuff, the backtracking, the ‘vehicles’ you can change into. It feels very slow compared to Super Mario World, which is fine, but it’s mainly because you’re collecting things.

Look, it’s one of the best 16-bit platformers for sure (the majority are average at best, however fondly we look back on them), but it doesn’t top Super Mario World for me. It’s tough going up against perfection though.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

You have been to CEX before right? This is their entire business model.

26 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Started playing Yoshi’s Island before, and it is a lovely platformer. The visual style still looks great, and you can’t help but hum along to the music even after all these years. I still find it fairly tedious in places though - jumping in every nook and cranny looking for hidden stuff, the backtracking, the ‘vehicles’ you can change into. It feels very slow compared to Super Mario World, which is fine, but it’s mainly because you’re collecting things.

Look, it’s one of the best 16-bit platformers for sure (the majority are average at best, however fondly we look back on them), but it doesn’t top Super Mario World for me. It’s tough going up against perfection though.

Agree completely with this. Yoshi's Island looks stylish, possibly the best looking 16-bit game, and there are loads of inventive ideas. But there are also laborious elements to the level design (which are even more apparent in the sequels) and the vehicles and collecting are kind of tedious.

Could it be the music? The arcade nature of the racing? That the opponents are just moving obstacles? The sounds? The craft? The memories it puddles into my mind? Is it the simplicity of it all? Or the speed? The difficulty (Beginner! ha!) ? The Iconic tunes, tracks, craft....? Everything about it?

One thing's for sure, I love F-Zero still. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

The NES Mini is a fun curio to own. The SNES Mini is outstanding however. Most of these games stand up today as close to the pinnacle of 2D gaming.

I don’t think I agree with this. Many of these games feel their age. Castlevania is very ugly, Super Ghouls and Ghosts is too unforgiving with its controls, Super Metroid is overly fiddly with its jumping (particularly wall jumps), Secret of Mana has slightly janky movement, DK Country isn’t actually a good game etc etc. Then there’s the slowdown which is surprisingly prevalent. As someone who didn’t play most of these back in the day I’m a little underwhelmed when comparing these games to the best the DS, GBA and more modern systems have to offer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Me and my brother played two player Donkey Kong Country.  I never had the game when I was a kid and I don't think I ever played it but what a treat it was to play.  Really fun once you understand what's going on, the music is sublime and I think it looks amazing. Too me one of the best looking game on the SNES. Just a joy to play.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, SimonG said:

My local CEX has 8 (yes 8) of them in the window, all boxed, all mint, all £150.

Also there are a shit-tonne of them on AVForums at the moment, ranging from £80 - £110 plus delivery.

Not to mention the masses on ebay.

None of them are selling.

There were plenty going for £110+ on Friday. I think the panic calmed down after that once it was clear quite how many were in shops still and how many available on the secondary market.

If I didn't have one I'd just wait. I think pretty much everyone who wants one and makes the effort will get on for RRP this side of Christmas.

4 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I don’t think I agree with this. Many of these games feel their age. Castlevania is very ugly, Super Ghouls and Ghosts is too unforgiving with its controls, Super Metroid is overly fiddly with its jumping (particularly wall jumps), Secret of Mana has slightly janky movement, DK Country isn’t actually a good game etc etc. Then there’s the slowdown which is surprisingly prevalent. As someone who didn’t play most of these back in the day I’m a little underwhelmed when comparing these games to the best the DS, GBA and more modern systems have to offer.

OH HAIL NAW

• Upvote 3

Review time.

Super Mario World: beautiful.

F-Zero: nostalgic, nice music.

Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts: too brutal to entertain.

Super CastleVania IV: magnificent.

Contra III: stunning in places, but patchy.

LoZ ALttP: one of the most influential games ever, so worth playing if you haven’t before.

Super Mario Kart: irritating and unsatisfying.

Street Fighter II Turbo: would prefer Super. Or Alpha 2.

Star Fox: obsolete.

Secret of Mana: lush visuals and music, bit too basic and grindy in 2017 though.

Mega Man X: dull.

Kirby’s Dream Course: why?

Super Punch-Out: rhythmic.

Super Metroid: incomparable.

Final Fantasy III/VI: regal.

Donkey King Country: nice presentation, wonderful music, but imprecise and laggy to play.

Earthbound: unforgettable.

Yoshi’s Island: superb.

Super Mario RPG: captivating.

Kirby Super Star: wonderful.

Star Fox 2: waste of ROM space.

• Upvote 3