Jump to content
Melon_Bread

Voxel Art...

Recommended Posts

Just started using this program and it's so cool, makes me want to retry making this old 2D game I was making but with 3D voxels instead.

 

Still getting used to this, gunna follow lots of tutorials, wonder if you can work in layers.... thinking of importing models into Unity (and somehow learning that too).

 

Hope this motivates me to do something like this, and if it does ill post some stuff here. I love your fishing art in post 1, looks so nice! <3 - are all your voxels the same size in the fish/store scene - and also what did you use to set the scene and give it depth of field blur?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tofu said:

By the way can you create these and then use them as game assets?

 

Even though I just started learning today, it seems yes you can - you can export them into Unity 3D as assets which is awesome. Theres 400+ free 'city style' models available here:

http://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=mv_resource

 

And you can use them even on commercial stuff, and they offer downloads as .vox files to be edited, or Unity3D ready files. Not sure if another program is needed to export them to game assets, gunna follow some tutorials.

 

 

Cool little video.

 

 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, buizel said:

 

Even though I just started learning today, it seems yes you can - you can export them into Unity 3D as assets which is awesome. Theres 400+ free 'city style' models available here:

http://ephtracy.github.io/index.html?page=mv_resource

 

And you can use them even on commercial stuff, and they offer downloads as .vox files to be edited, or Unity3D ready files. Not sure if another program is needed to export them to game assets, gunna follow some tutorials.

 

 

Cool little video.

 

 

Awesome, I think this year I'm going to start to plan and make a small game. 

 

However, even failing this I find this program really useful to bash out blocks which I can then use for refs for perspective. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tofu said:

Awesome, I think this year I'm going to start to plan and make a small game. 

 

However, even failing this I find this program really useful to bash out blocks which I can then use for refs for perspective. 

 

Yeah, I keep going through phases but never getting anything done. An isometric 3D style would suit a game I had planned a long time ago, a single screen platformer puzzler where you avoid traps and stuff ..

 

1-2.png.d53c5fb6c076b6aebb4a7b974e0c2fd6.png2-1.png.bd2c81bfd5123926ad749c101df5ede8.png

 

Those were the 2d levels i did, think it would work even better 3d (:

 

Edit: There was this old 2d game i played way back, mightve been just a prototype/test game or something with a small character crawling climbing through tight and open spaces - it inspired me to make 'project barry' above..,.. hope I can find it again, it was super low-res but pretty densely packed levels.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been using this guys video tutorials for help on MagicaVoxel, animating them in Mixamo, and importing to Unity3D, which is pretty good.

 

 

(you should start at ep1)

 

He's not the most thorough but it's been very helpful, especially since ive just heard of mixamo which is pretty cool - wouldnt mind 'jerkier' animations (like that Wreck-It Ralph animation)

 

e.g tumblr_ml6cf6k2IB1ri3trlo1_500.gif

 

 especially for the voxel style, would work better I think. Anyway, just got to the bit where he imports them to unity3D so thatll be fun. Anyone else know good tutorials?

 

Would rather animate the protagonist similar to this style - or even like the fisher guy in OP

VoxelCharacterStyle.png

 

Since he's short and a lil bit chunky

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 11:41, Melon_Bread said:

few more...

TOAST_2.png

TOAST_6.png

TOAST_5.png

 

hey ive been loving the latest ones you posted on twitter, the one of the grandads cabin.

 

any chance you could do a video on how you do it? or a speed art thing or something? would love to see and get as good as you (:

 

do you save shapes that you use alot and place them in from the side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, buizel said:

 

hey ive been loving the latest ones you posted on twitter, the one of the grandads cabin.

 

any chance you could do a video on how you do it? or a speed art thing or something? would love to see and get as good as you (:

 

do you save shapes that you use alot and place them in from the side?

 

Yes I should do a vid really, I might do a quick character design one at some point.

 

That cabin took ages as it had so much in it, my main problem with Magicavoxel is you can't group objects and then easily select them, so there was a lot of messing around with the cabin, like drawing stuff up in the sky away from the rest of the image and then pulling them down into position, if it gets too crowed I just start a new document and then copy paste into place.

 

I think it's just years and years of pixelart has helped me massively and since I always liked to work on tiny characters they just sort of work well in voxels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

 

Yes I should do a vid really, I might do a quick character design one at some point.

 

That cabin took ages as it had so much in it, my main problem with Magicavoxel is you can't group objects and then easily select them, so there was a lot of messing around with the cabin, like drawing stuff up in the sky away from the rest of the image and then pulling them down into position, if it gets too crowed I just start a new document and then copy paste into place.

 

I think it's just years and years of pixelart has helped me massively and since I always liked to work on tiny characters they just sort of work well in voxels. 

 

Yeah I just checked out your society6 page... is that all you?

 

The cityscape is amazing and this:

edge-retro-cover-reboot-cases.jpg

 

Used to be the background wallpaper of my phone for aaaages, you make that? - got that fresh clean style I see you doing. <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.