IGNORED

Subnautica - Ver 1.0 Out Now

Captain Kelsten

15 minutes ago, Droo said:

Hey guys!

I picked this up today; it’s really really good and maybe one of the scariest games I’ve played in a while. 

but: im totally at a loss for how to start the game. 

any basic advice?

There are lots of beginner's guides on Youtube, but to start with I would just focus on exploring the immediate surroundings of the life pod, searching for blueprints in any wreckage that you come across and then building any items you think will be useful using the fabricator. After a while, there will be a couple of 'story' events, so always make sure you check the radio for any messages when you return to your lifepod, as the messages you receive will move things along. Before too long you'll also find the means to build an underwater base; do so.

Also, if you've started on the default 'Survival' mode, this early in I would seriously consider restarting on 'Freedom' mode, as having to top up your food and water supplies becomes a royal pain in the arse as you progress, and there's no way to change from Survival to Freedom once you've started a new game, unless you start fiddling about with the command console. Others might disagree and say that the survival elements add the experience, but I just found them tedious.

1 hour ago, Droo said:

Hey guys!

I picked this up today; it’s really really good and maybe one of the scariest games I’ve played in a while. 

but: im totally at a loss for how to start the game. 

any basic advice?

1. Scan EVERYTHING whether animal, vegetable or mineral. Then grab it.

2. Then go out a bit further and a bit deeper and scan EVERYTHING again.

3. Then build a perfunctory base, or expand the one you have with cool rooms and lots of storage units, and fill them with minerals and metals and other goodies.

4. Then craft every recipe you’ve found, and build some vehicles. And trick them out with the cool mods you‘ll find.

5. Then go back to step 1 and repeat.

Farther, deeper, darker. Enjoy the wonder and the horror. Oh my. 

Don’t fret. The story and the goals will come your way in due course. Just listen to your radio.

And remember:

Spoiler

SCAN EVERYTHING!!!!!

Survivors log...

Spoiler

STORY PROGRESS: I have investigated all LifePods I know off, both islands, the alien facility, lots of wrecks and most recently the Aurora. I've scoured it and collected lots of nice prints, and also fixed the reactor containment so can now go about my business radiation free (hand as my base was literally on the boundary of it!).

BASE: My habitat is growing in scale and technology, but most importantly ornaments, posters and plants. It's rather cushy now. My moon pool has an upgrade station, and my scanner room is proving very helpful in tracking down the resources I need (especially with my ridiculous pop-in issues meaning you often can't see the objects you are hunting for).

VEHICLES: My SeaMoth now has all depth mods applied so is good down to 900m. However I've only actually been to about 500m so far as I bought all the upgrades in one go as I had the resources already. I've also got the plans for the Prawn suit and some of the Cyclops ones (and even part of the Neptune).

FLORA/FAUNA: Getting Stalker Teeth is a pain in the arse. I kept dropping about 8 bits of metal around in various places near a pair of them close to my base and after an hour I got a measly two teeth. Not sure if I'm missing a technique. Also having ventured a little further and a little deeper, I came across 5 leviathans in very quick succession yesterday (Big, hammerhead like with tentacles, loud roar. Reapers? Not sure) and ran away. Also bumped into a giant shock wave octopi, massive snakes and couple of weird teleporty alien looking things. Key take out... there be dragons.

NEXT STEPS: I think it's time to go deeper. :bye: The question is where as there seem to be deep bits all over the place. I've got some loose details about an alien disease research facility at 800m which is easily doable from my new SeaMoth, but exactly where at 800m I should go remains a mystery. My plan is just head out to each compass point along the bottom and see what I find. Wish me luck.

@FiveFootNinja, re Stalker teeth: if you have a scanner room in the shallows where the initial pod landed, set up a search for metal salvage and then look for clusters of 3-4 pieces, as these are often Stalker metal 'caches' and there will be teeth nearby. I can't say I had too much trouble finding that particular item.

8 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

My plan is just head out to each compass point along the bottom and see what I find. Wish me luck.

Yep - this is the best way to go. Have you discovered any of the 

Spoiler

Degasi

PDAs yet? Doing so will lead you to some interesting places.

Yeah, there are a few clusters of stalkers near my base and plenty of metal bits. I chucked it all near them and as I say I got two. I have had the scanner set for teeth and it only found those two across the entire extended range. Very annoying, given my experience so far quite possibly bugged. :) 

Re: PDAs. Yes, all I think...

Spoiler

I've been to the island, the base in the glowing mushroom cave under the shallows about 250m (right near my base in fact - it's where I've got all my magnetite from) and the 500m destroyed one in the deep cave (with the octopus thing). May head back now I've got my better SeaMoth. Previously I was parking it at 198m and then SeaGliding down the remainder but I can mooch around a bit more now I've got the depth mods.

Oh, also forgot to mention my latest 'Xbox One shoddy performance anecdote'... I was diving down to LifePod 19 (250m) and thought "oh there isn't much ground down here, I didn't think it was as deep as this" got to the right depth for the pod and started looking around for maybe 15 seconds. Suddenly the entire map popped in and I was about 20 meters into the rock floor and died immediately. Reload time as it also destroyed my SeaMoth. :doh:

Unfortunately that time has come and I'm going to leave this game here unfinished. I really want to like it (and I've put about 30 hours into it) but these performance issues are killing me and I know I'm just not going to enjoy dragging this over the line in it's current state.

I've got as far as...

Spoiler

...the Alien Disease Facility and tunnels around it.

But the next step is to go deeper which means I need a whole new craft (of which I still can't build) and when hunting for wrecks, blueprints and resources I'm just not having any fun any more with the huge lag in load/pop-in. It means I can swim right past something and never see it which makes exploring almost impossible. And if I hang around a wait sometimes it's fine, or sometimes I find myself suddenly stuck, damaged, or amongst a bunch of predators instantaneously. An example below...

I tried, but it failed. Perhaps I'll come back if they ever fix it and/or I get a new Xbox which can cope with the inefficient coding. Very disappointing.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Unfortunately that time has come and I'm going to leave this game here unfinished. I really want to like it (and I've put about 30 hours into it) but these performance issues are killing me and I know I'm just not going to enjoy dragging this over the line in it's current state.

I've got as far as...

Reveal hidden contents

But the next step is to go deeper which means I need a whole new craft (of which I still can't build) and when hunting for wrecks, blueprints and resources I'm just not having any fun any more with the huge lag in load/pop-in. It means I can swim right past something and never see it which makes exploring almost impossible. And if I hang around a wait sometimes it's fine, or sometimes I find myself suddenly stuck, damaged, or amongst a bunch of predators instantaneously. An example below...

I tried, but it failed. Perhaps I'll come back if they ever fix it and/or I get a new Xbox which can cope with the inefficient coding. Very disappointing.

Just started this last night. Are you running this on an XB1X? Don't want to get that far in and encounter similar issues.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I've got as far as...

Hide contents

Honestly, I've never seen anything like that on PC or Xbox. Yeah, I'd class that as unplayable. Obligatory question about where the game is stored, internally or on an external drive. The problem look like it is caused by slow data transfer.

That is on an original Xbox One on the internal drive (I don't have an external one). My understanding is the X1X doesn't suffer anywhere like the same issues, just a bit of pop-in.

EDIT: In the interest of not throwing away a ton of hours so far... I'm going to try clearing a bit more space of the drive as it is pretty full in case there is any virtual memory issues going on, and give it a full power off reset to clear any temporary storage and then see if it improves. Will report back.

26 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

That is on an original Xbox One on the internal drive (I don't have an external one). My understanding is the X1X doesn't suffer anywhere like the same issues, just a bit of pop-in.

EDIT: In the interest of not throwing away a ton of hours so far... I'm going to try clearing a bit more space of the drive as it is pretty full in case there is any virtual memory issues going on, and give it a full power off reset to clear any temporary storage and then see if it improves. Will report back.

I have played it on original one and one s and not seen anything like that. Pop in does happen but at much longer range and when moving much quicker. The pop-in is much worse than PC, but nowhere near as bad as your video.

I played it on the Xbox One X and didn't have any performance issues other than the painfully long load times (which get longer and longer the more you've done in the game). Occasionally I would find that the game would crash when it tried to load my save file. Rebooting the Xbox always resolved that issue though.

Quick update... I removed about 20GB of stuff from the HDD and did a hard reboot. Went back over to the same zone as in the video above and it was probably a tiny bit better but pretty much the same. Then I decided to go deeper to see how that was... (video spoilered as it contains places/things you might not want to see if you are new to the game)....

Spoiler

In summary... whether it's something in the game/save or a underlying issue with my actual Xbox... it's broken. :( 

Oh wow. I watched the first 20 seconds of that thinking "oh that's not too bad". Yeah that is pretty bad. Is that when you've just loaded in or does every section take that long to load?

On a slightly related note, that is a great place to build a base. I built one there and used thermal generators to power it. I had to build quite a few vertical connectors to get the Moonpool higher than the 900m depth limit of the Seamoth though. 

13 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

In summary... whether it's something in the game/save or a underlying issue with my  actual Xbox... it's broken. :( 

.Did you try clearing the XBOX cache? That always helps me when games get choppy

@LowCostMonkey Every section. I'd loaded in at my base near the starting life pod about 1500m (surface distance) away and then headed over/down in game. It had probably been running about 10 mins by this point.

@Karzee No, not cleared the cache, just did a power off/unplug/reboot. Will give that a try. The weird thing is every other game I have runs exactly as expected, it's just this one that stumbles along.

• 4 months later...

Just started this on Gamepass, because the open sea is wonderfully terrifying and the Outer Wilds started that itch, but then it told me I needed to eat and I should collect scrap metal. Then I died, having no idea what I was meant to be doing.

So tell me truthfully RLLMUK, is this just a survival game with creative building elements, or is there actually a story, or even sequence of bosses a la Terraria?

The opening hours are maybe the most unforgiving and slow paced in terms of having to figure stuff out for yourself, but stick with it because its an amazing game. Once you can feed/hydrate yourself the way the game opens up is amazing. There is a cool story/background but it takes a backseat to exploring/surviving/building, but it gives you direction and motivation. When your pod radio starts bleeping at you don't forget to check it out. But anyway don't be put off by the opening, once you get the hang of the mechanics and get more stuff to play with it becomes a truly magnificent game. 

9 hours ago, therearerules said:

Just started this on Gamepass, because the open sea is wonderfully terrifying and the Outer Wilds started that itch, but then it told me I needed to eat and I should collect scrap metal. Then I died, having no idea what I was meant to be doing.

So tell me truthfully RLLMUK, is this just a survival game with creative building elements, or is there actually a story, or even sequence of bosses a la Terraria?

If you don't like survival games, still play this, because it's great, but start a new save and choose the option that means you don't have to constantly eat or drink, because it's a right pain in the arse.

There's some narrative to it, but it mostly discovered through exploration - audiologs and environmental storytelling, that sort of thing. The best thing about the game is just heading off into the depths and not knowing what delights, or horrors, you're going to find.

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

After getting into a horrible cycle of doing nothing but catching fish in order to drink water (giving me just enough time to catch another fish and nothing else) I've restarted without the drinking and eating mechanic. The drinking in particular seems incredibly harsh.

Yeah, it's a pain. You unlock something that gives you water later on, but even that needs power, and when you're traveling back and forth a lot, setting up a new base, it's bloody irritating. I put up with it for about 15 hours before using the command console cheats to turn it off. For a game that gets so much right, it has some very irritating quirks.

What are you playing it on, by the way? @FiveFootNinja (I think) had lots of trouble with pop in and loading times on a base XB1 (I think, again). I'll be interested to hear what it's like on either of the Series consoles.