Orko

Subnautica - Ver 1.0 Out Now

I'm afraid I will have to put this away after playing it for two hours. I love the setting and the underwater sounds and graphics. But I'm totally overwhelmed by the game's lack of guiding and I certainly don't have time nor energy to trial&error my way through.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I finished this yesterday and oh man, what a great game! Probably the best survival game I've played so far I think.

It started off super chilled and became pretty nerve-racking later on as I descended ever deeper into the alien ocean. I must admit that there were a few times where I lost the breadcrumb trail of the story and ended up feeling pretty lost on how to trigger the next story beat but those moments forced me into exploring more and more. Such as free falling into an abyss, watching my depth count rapidly tick higher and higher as the pressure increased; it becoming so dark that the lights on my PRAWN suit illuminated no more than a few feet in front of me and then suddenly hearing the echoing growl of something incredibly large looming too close for comfort. It was pretty creepy at times.

And that exploration is so worthwhile despite the feelings of trepidation it instils, what with the ocean being littered with interesting/awe inspiring things to see and blueprints to discover. I always felt like I had something to work towards which, for me at least, is what a lot of survival games fail to inspire in me - I think part of that is due to always feeling somewhat vulnerable in Subnautica regardless of the increasing amounts of helpful technology I found at my disposal. I never reached a point where I felt so overpowered that the game world was no longer dangerous.

So yeah, well worth checking out. Especially if you have a PC that can run it cos its free at the moment.

• Upvote 6

Dutch Store finds nothing.

Edit:

We were caught off-guard by this. We are traditionally a PC developer, and used to our games being released worldwide, without exception. We want Subnautica to be available on every country on Earth.

Unfortunately, we have run into a Sony restriction. If Subnautica’s PlayStation Store page is not fully localised for a particular country’s active language, they will not sell the game in that country.

Well there you have it.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

So I bought this this week and have been loving it so far. 

Didn't go full survival to begin with as I wanted to understand how the games plays first but once I get a bit more understanding I'll be switching survival mode on. 

It's very relaxing. Being underwater and just chilling is great.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Phelan said:

So I bought this this week and have been loving it so far. 

Didn't go full survival to begin with as I wanted to understand how the games plays first but once I get a bit more understanding I'll be switching survival mode on. 

It's very relaxing. Being underwater and just chilling is great.

Are you playing in VR?  It's amazing and works really well.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Are you playing in VR?  It's amazing and works really well.

Sadly they didn't add the VR for PSVR which is a shame cause I reckon it would be amazing with it.

I usually avoid survival games like the plague, but boy has this one sucked me in! I finished the story the other day, but don't want it to end so am now building a large base down in the depths of the lost river. I have no idea why, other than I have been watching a youtube streamer called Cougarific and his series has been superb. He has some videos showing what he missed after finishing the game and I'm playing along with what he's doing. Then I think I'll start over as I really don't want it to end, and I suspect the new DLC won't be on console for quite some time yet.

The only disappointment has been the performance of the game. Even on the One X it runs like dogshit once you expand your base. The framerate drops to single figures which is inexcusable really considering how long the thing was in preview. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

On 05/12/2018 at 22:20, Alan Stock said:

Subnautica is now out on consoles! 

Don't miss this amazing game, probably my favourite of last year. 

Can someone update the original post title to announce the console release?

Be warned the following trailer does have spoilers for enemies and environments, but I guess it does a pretty good job of selling the atmosphere:

Been playing this for the last week or so and it truly is fantastic. Went through all of this thread and your writing on it is amazing. Loved every bit of it.

Got my Cyclops and my Seamoth and now getting ready to build the Prawn before heading to the truly deep depths. That green stuff is sooo poisonous when you just swim into it!

• Upvote 2

I'm having a big issue with the PS4 version of the game.

I built a Prawn suit but it won't jump so I'm not sure how I get it into the Moonpool to recharge etc? Or get it into the Cyclops? It just sits there and when I press the triangle button it doesn't  jump. It's supposed to be able to jump at the beginning right?

2 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah. I've had the pc game bug out in a similar way. Do you have a save game to roll back to? :unsure:

Nope the PS version only has one save which sucks.

• Empathy 1

All good. Finally found the stuff to do the jump jets and it works now

However I’m terrified of taking the sub down to the depths cause the creatures keep attacking it