IGNORED

Watchmen on HBO

JohnC

14 hours ago, Sane said:

To be clear, I meant read them at all rather than the order. But I've decided to read them, thanks!

Just don't read anything but the original Watchmen series..  subsequent comics have largely been.. poor.

It's some sort of miracle that the tv series turned out to be as good as it did.. who'd have thought we'd ever get something that even got close to being a worthy follow-up?

13 hours ago, Sane said:

Will it enhance my enjoyment of this greatly if I read the comics first? 

It's not essential - I know people who watched the series and loved it without ever reading the comics - but I think you'll probably get more out of it. Or at least be slightly less confused. The original comic is worth reading in its own right, really.

13 hours ago, MDY said:

subsequent comics have largely been.. poor.

Subsequent comics have been... fan-fiction. Fan-fiction by a multinational corporation. In direct opposition to the author. But fan-fiction non the less.

To be fair I thought that about the show, but that fan-fiction turned out to be the best tv of the year by a country mile. 

On 14/09/2021 at 21:56, Camel said:

I watched it without reading anything before and thought it was amazing.

As did my partner. Who thought (correctly) that it was the greatest show they had seen in years and years. 

and she hates super hero stuff. 

• 4 weeks later...

It took a while but I read the comics. They're very interesting, not at all what I was expecting (I knew nothing about it beforehand). I'm now very curious to see what the show is about. 

• 2 weeks later...

3 episodes in: this is really fantastic! I love how it's completely it's own thing while still being a part of the watchmen world. 

Glad I read the comics, I can see how it's still good without knowing them, but it adds lot when you do. 

14 hours ago, Sane said:

3 episodes in: this is really fantastic! I love how it's completely it's own thing while still being a part of the watchmen world. 

Glad I read the comics, I can see how it's still good without knowing them, but it adds lot when you do. 

You’ve got some really great episodes ahead of you. Thinking about it makes me want to watch them all again.

You're not wrong, it keeps getting better. I love how it constantly surprises and subverts expectations in a really smart way without becoming exhausting. It's also genuinely funny,

Spoiler

Lube man

going into the storm drain had me in stitches. And the soundtrack is amazing :wub:.

Edit: Also, Jean Smart is just incredibly cool. 

And finished. That was amazing! I just can't find any fault with it. It's a great story, well told, with a proper ending even. Hats off to Mr Lindelof (and everyone else involved of course) :hat:

One thing struck me though, only Dave Gibbons is credited for creating the characters. Is there a reason Alan Moore isn't mentioned? 

7 minutes ago, Sane said:

One thing struck me though, only Dave Gibbons is credited for creating the characters. Is there a reason Alan Moore isn't mentioned? 

He want's nothing to do with it. Doesn't want his name attached. Not just this, but basically anything beyond his original comics.

10 minutes ago, Sane said:

And finished. That was amazing! I just can't find any fault with it. It's a great story, well told, with a proper ending even. Hats off to Mr Lindelof (and everyone else involved of course) :hat:

I think he asked that his name be taken off all adaptations of his work, as he was so unhappy with the way he was treated over the V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen adaptations. He has apparently also refused any compensation from any adaptions as well. He’s distanced himself from almost all of his earlier work that he did for companies like Marvel and DC - Miracleman is credited to “The Original Writer” in any reprints (although most of his earlier comics still have his name on them). 

I doubt it, he's the most principled man on the planet.

I've watched the entire series 3 times now, I think it's incredible and I reckon Alan would really like it but the fact he was so royally shafted by everyone and everything he's ever cared about means he probably never will. He seems like a genuinely warm and lovely man but will never escape the past unfortunately and only really because he's one of the few true geniuses of comics and his work is timelessly brilliant.

Alan Moore holds grudges like nobody else, I seriously doubt he's watched the series. Anything related to the series is going to be tainted by his legal and contractual conflicts with DC, so even if it's brilliant and builds cleverly on the themes of the comic, it's never going to be something he'd voluntarily watch. 

It's a great series. The only thing I would change is to include Dan Dreiberg in some way. He's the only surviving major character from the original comic who isn't involved in the new series (apart from Sally Jupiter, who will almost certainly have died of old age in the interim), and it'd be nice to see how he's changed. But I get why they didn't include him (they wanted to balance the series in favour of new characters, rather than recurring ones) and he was always quite a passive character. It's not immediately obvious why he would get involved in events in Tulsa.

I'd hardly call it a grudge to choose not to watch a show based on a piece of work you were royally screwed over on, while choosing to forgeo your share of the profits and give them to your co-artist.

As his daughter says, the only reason it keeps coming up is that whenever he agrees to an interview to discuss his latest esoteric work lazy hack inevitably try and sidetrack him into talking about whatever Warner Bros or another studio are splurging out that week.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

It really does seem unfair to accuse him of holding a grudge, when he's the injured party.

Yes indeed and when you consider he said.

Don't worry about John Constantine you can have him, I just want the Watchmen rights to come back to me and they still fucking done him over anyway. 

I don't think Moore is unjustified in holding a grudge against DC, but my point was that he isn't the type to forgive and forget. Davids Gibbons and Lloyd seem happy to let the filmmakers do what they want with Watchmen and V for Vendetta, which is fair enough, but Moore would rather immerse himself in quicklime than be wheeled out to talk about Watchmen to promote the film. Which is also fair enough, and an admirable display of principles.

16 hours ago, Bazjam said:

On the subject of Alan Moore, I see the film he wrote The Show, came out on streaming last week. Anyone seen it yet?

Just missed it at Fright Fest this year, there was an early version of this film that was about 30mins long from a few years ago. Seems to build on his society and vicious cabaret themes from 1984.