rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

There was something that annoyed me about Sister Night at the end 

I didn't like her lack of action when Dr M was being drained, she just stood there like there was nothing she could do, when we've seen constantly that she's not passive. she could have easily just beaten the shit out of Lady Trui - seeing as there didn't seem to be any armed guards around or anything.

It was a small thing, but didn't seem to fit with how she reacted to events in the earlier episodes. 

Wait- I just remembered the big lazers!

With regard to the ending

Spoiler

Specifically the question of did Dr M give Angela his powers or not. I like to think that he did give her the power to walk on water, but that's it. No other powers at all. 

In fact, I'd guess that he altered her molecular structure to make her incredibly buoyant, so it's not so much an ability to walk on water, as an inability to be submersed in water. Next time she has a bath she's going to end up lying on top of it, all like "motherfucker."

• Upvote 5

23 hours ago, Pob said:

I would personally have poached the egg first.

I would have loved it if she'd cracked the egg into a pan and a tiny Dr Manhattan dropped into the hot oil and started writhing about in agony.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

Holy cow K, read the stuff about Fogdancing, you'll fucking love it.

I've avoided the Peteypedia because I quite liked picking up details of the world just from watching the series, but I did read the bit about Fogdancing (which was really good). I missed anything Lube Man related, but maybe I wasn't looking out for it. I'll re-read it.

I don't know who got it worse, Veidt or Doc, but I'm inclined to say the former because I think it single-handedly ruins the ending of the graphic novel. 

6 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

Holy cow K, read the stuff about Fogdancing, you'll fucking love it.

I read the last entry and yes, I guess the lubeman stuff was just in there for a bit of throwaway fun. Not sure how you’re supposed to draw that conclusion from ‘only’ watching the show,  maybe it would be super obvious were I to go back and watch it again. 

There’s a line in there about Laurie having a pet owl, that was a nice little touch. 

Can we all just agree that even if you were underwhelmed with the series at least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as DC' official comic sequel Doomsday Clock.

Dr Manhattan realizes that no matter what changes in the universe or how many retcons it goes through, Superman will always land as a baby in a pod at the relevant time across all different timelines, universes, reboots, etc, and he will be the quintessential hero that brings hope to the world. Manhattan decides to save the original Watchmen universe by changing its history and giving a child his powers and sending him to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre to raise as a true Superman analogue in the Watchmen universe to give it the same kind of hope. Also apparently this was Ozymandias's plan all along because of fucking course but also he may be bullshitting.

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Can we all just agree that even if you were underwhelmed with the series at least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as DC' official comic sequel Doomsday Clock.

Hide contents

Dr Manhattan realizes that no matter what changes in the universe or how many retcons it goes through, Superman will always land as a baby in a pod at the relevant time across all different timelines, universes, reboots, etc, and he will be the quintessential hero that brings hope to the world. Manhattan decides to save the original Watchmen universe by changing its history and giving a child his powers and sending him to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre to raise as a true Superman analogue in the Watchmen universe to give it the same kind of hope. Also apparently this was Ozymandias's plan all along because of fucking course but also he may be bullshitting.

spacer.png

In a way, the HBO series "Watchmen" is the sequel to Doomsday Clock.

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

I don't know who got it worse, Veidt or Doc, but I'm inclined to say the former because I think it single-handedly ruins the ending of the graphic novel. 

Yeah how?

‘Nothing ends Adrian, nothing ever ends’.

The end reasserts the message of the original graphic novel entirely doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

In a way, the HBO series "Watchmen" is the sequel to Doomsday Clock.

you know when people say the books don’t exist in the TV show threads? perhaps, in this one instance, we can collectively choose that the comic sequel doesn’t.

I was incredibly cynical about this series when it was announced. I hated the film. I mostly hate the work of Lindelof. I hated the trailer. And I have a love of the book that meant I was always going to be reticent about an adaptation and especially a new story.

I couldn't have been more wrong! This might be one of the best shows I've seen in years. Spectacularly good and so consistent with the tone of the source material. Amazing performances, really textured and genuinely clever writing. It's shot beautifully, great score and the pacing is pretty much perfect throughout. What an accomplishment. And special mention has to go to the props team for disguising what I'm assuming was a Pringle can as a glowing blue penis.

As much as I'd love to see a second season, this one is almost so perfect that there's something quite special about just keeping it as a self-contained story. I guess they could just come up with an entire new set of characters, change location and continue to write stories inspired by the Watchmen universe.

• Upvote 5

Utterly wonderful stuff of course, but was that a rather unnecessary dig at Alan in the last episode?

Spoiler

"You had a great idea 20 years ago and now you're doing the same idea, just....smaller "

I still hope someone's had a word in Alan's shell-like and said "here, it's actually pretty good..."

Surely it’s Lindelof having a winking dig at himself. Nobody can accuse Alan Moore of being complacent and retreading old ground.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a dig at Moore at all. The series is so reverent towards the original comic that I struggle to believe that they'd sneak an attack on Alan Moore in, and it's not like the criticism would make sense anyway given that his last major work was a 1,000 page novel about Northampton.

• Upvote 3

Reading back through the page 1 hot takes in this thread is very interesting.

Lots of understandable worry, but the odd glimmer of hope too. Talk about exceeding expectations though. :)

Just watched the last episode. Fuck me, what a great show - and that's from someone not familiar with the book.

16 hours ago, Camel said:

Just watched the last episode. Fuck me, what a great show - and that's from someone not familiar with the book.

You need to fix that ASAP. There’s a reason it’s a classic.

• Upvote 2

Finished this tonight, having watched got off to a slow start by three episodes over the last couple of weeks and then finally binging 6 episodes in one day (thank fuck for Christmas holidays).

It's a bit confusing to start with but soon starts putting the pieces together, absolutely loved it. The soundtrack also deserves a mention, not just the use of licensed songs (the slowed down Careless Whisper after the event in 1985 was really well done) but the original and cover work by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

Regarding the finale, 

Spoiler

I was expecting some blue crackling at the end to show Jon was still alive but it never happened, he must be though.

Has this link been posted yet? It's supporting material that HBO posted as part of Petey's FBI work throughout the series

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

Just watched episode 9. Best thing I’ve seen in a long time. I’m a long time fan of the comic (I bought the last two issues of the original run as they were released!) and after the lacklustre film, the mostly tedious comic sequels ( not you, Darwyn Cooke) and *boke* Doomsday Clock I’d given up hope of ever seeing anything that gave Moore’s masterpiece the reverence it deserves. This was about as close as you could get I reckon. Thematically and structurally I thought it was pretty flawless. 

Just dusted off my Absolute Edition as I just realised it’s been 13 years since I last read it. 

• Upvote 2

I thought episode 8 was the high point but I fucking LOVE the character who is the main focus of that. We really enjoyed the whole series and I’m also going for a reread of the big copy of the book I have, now.

I've never had any knowledge of Watchmen ever, apart from knowing the name and the early episodes confused the fuck out of me but I'm glad I stuck with this. It's probably the best thing I've seen in 2019. 

I did love The Leftovers though so had faith it was gonna come good. It did.

One graphic novel. If you enjoyed the series you HAVE to get it.

The T.V show will have given many things away but it is amazing and will probably explain a lot of things for you.

• Upvote 1

No, just one brilliant comic. I read it over two days before Christmas.

I think in my first read through I was so anxious to get through the plot I didn't really take in the detail, and I think I even skipped some of the back story clippings at the end of chapters. It's crazy because reading it now I realise actually how tight it is. 

Quite scary how influencial Veidt's philosophing was on a 16 year old me as well! I was surprised how much I remembered. And I adore the line "stop me? It's already happened" (paraphrasing). Who's ripped that off? 

• Upvote 2

Ok, thank you. Order placed for the paperback on Amazon. 12 quid, it better be worth it guys :quote:

Thank you @Pete and @Delargey though. I'm trusting your judgement.

• Upvote 2