3 hours ago, Darren said:
  Hide contents

Of course he’s not. He rebuilt himself once when he didn’t even know how to do it. Doing it again will be trivial.

Spoiler

I presume he must still exist as otherwise why would he have said to Angela:

"You need to see me on the pool. It's important. For later." when he was stood on the swimming pool's surface in episode 08.

Or am I getting it wrong and Jon can witness future events even if he was already dead when they take place?

1 minute ago, FishyFish said:
  Hide contents

I presume he must still exist as otherwise why would he have said to Angela:

"You need to see me on the pool. It's important. For later." when he was stood on the swimming pool's surface in episode 08.

Or am I getting it wrong and Jon can witness future events even if he was already dead when they take place?

He might not have seen her walking on the pool (or trying to, anyway), but he would have known she would try it after eating the egg he left as she specifically mentioned walking on water. So he could be dead.

I guess the intention is that it's ambiguous, just like it's ambiguous whether she has received Dr Manhattan's powers, and like it was ambiguous in the comic as to whether Veidt did the right thing, or that Rorschach's diary would expose him.

I watched the final episode last night and absolutely loved it. It's been a superb series with so many incredible moments. I think the highlight for me was episode 6 (This Extraordinary Being) which was just jaw dropping television.

I doff my santa hat to everyone involved who had the bottle to get this series made. Lord only knows how they pitched it to HBO.

It's comfortably in my top 3 for the year along with Chernobyl and Succession S2. What a year for TV we've had!

• Upvote 5

I thought the last episode was tremendous; the bit where the pod opens, holy fucking shit. The only thing I would say is that I almost wish it was twelve episodes rather than nine, just to have symmetry with the original comic, and also to maybe spend a bit more time with the new characters like Looking Glass.

One more thing: I fucking love the fact that the only real loose end is the identity of Lube Man.

• Upvote 3
11 minutes ago, K said:

Is it obvious? Everyone online seems to think it's Agent Petey, but what is that based on? 

It felt it was obvious because they'd just introduced a character with exactly the same build who had an obsession with masked heroes. It felt natural that moving to Tulsa he'd want to join in.

Lindelof is asked at the end of the official podcast whether there will be a season two. He says (much like season 1) he'd only do it if he had the right story to tell, and as of right now his gut feeling is that there won't be one. He does say that the thought of writing for these actors playing these characters again is very tempting though.

6 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I know everyone in TV/Hollywood does it but I'm kinda tired of the generic ITS THE FUTURE SO ELECTRIC CARZ sound effect they add to every vehicle.

I think they get a bit of a pass for this one given that electric cars were introduced much earlier in the Watchmen world - I think even by the time the original comic is set - due to Dr. M's speeding up of tech. I'm almost certain it's covered in the original run.

5 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I think they get a bit of a pass for this one given that electric cars were introduced much earlier in the Watchmen world - I think even by the time the original comic is set - due to Dr. M's speeding up of tech. I'm almost certain it's covered in the original run.

100% it's electric cars and four legged gm'd turkeys in the Watchmen universe since the comic started. 

There was something that annoyed me about Sister Night at the end 

I didn't like her lack of action when Dr M was being drained, she just stood there like there was nothing she could do, when we've seen constantly that she's not passive. she could have easily just beaten the shit out of Lady Trui - seeing as there didn't seem to be any armed guards around or anything.

It was a small thing, but didn't seem to fit with how she reacted to events in the earlier episodes. 

Wait- I just remembered the big lazers!

With regard to the ending

Spoiler

Specifically the question of did Dr M give Angela his powers or not. I like to think that he did give her the power to walk on water, but that's it. No other powers at all. 

In fact, I'd guess that he altered her molecular structure to make her incredibly buoyant, so it's not so much an ability to walk on water, as an inability to be submersed in water. Next time she has a bath she's going to end up lying on top of it, all like "motherfucker."

• Upvote 5
23 hours ago, Pob said:

I would personally have poached the egg first.

I would have loved it if she'd cracked the egg into a pan and a tiny Dr Manhattan dropped into the hot oil and started writhing about in agony.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

Holy cow K, read the stuff about Fogdancing, you'll fucking love it.

I've avoided the Peteypedia because I quite liked picking up details of the world just from watching the series, but I did read the bit about Fogdancing (which was really good). I missed anything Lube Man related, but maybe I wasn't looking out for it. I'll re-read it.

6 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

Holy cow K, read the stuff about Fogdancing, you'll fucking love it.

I read the last entry and yes, I guess the lubeman stuff was just in there for a bit of throwaway fun. Not sure how you’re supposed to draw that conclusion from ‘only’ watching the show,  maybe it would be super obvious were I to go back and watch it again. 

There’s a line in there about Laurie having a pet owl, that was a nice little touch. 

Can we all just agree that even if you were underwhelmed with the series at least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as DC' official comic sequel Doomsday Clock.

Dr Manhattan realizes that no matter what changes in the universe or how many retcons it goes through, Superman will always land as a baby in a pod at the relevant time across all different timelines, universes, reboots, etc, and he will be the quintessential hero that brings hope to the world. Manhattan decides to save the original Watchmen universe by changing its history and giving a child his powers and sending him to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre to raise as a true Superman analogue in the Watchmen universe to give it the same kind of hope. Also apparently this was Ozymandias's plan all along because of fucking course but also he may be bullshitting.

spacer.png

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Can we all just agree that even if you were underwhelmed with the series at least it wasn't anywhere near as bad as DC' official comic sequel Doomsday Clock.

Hide contents

Dr Manhattan realizes that no matter what changes in the universe or how many retcons it goes through, Superman will always land as a baby in a pod at the relevant time across all different timelines, universes, reboots, etc, and he will be the quintessential hero that brings hope to the world. Manhattan decides to save the original Watchmen universe by changing its history and giving a child his powers and sending him to Nite Owl and Silk Spectre to raise as a true Superman analogue in the Watchmen universe to give it the same kind of hope. Also apparently this was Ozymandias's plan all along because of fucking course but also he may be bullshitting.

spacer.png

In a way, the HBO series "Watchmen" is the sequel to Doomsday Clock.

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

I don't know who got it worse, Veidt or Doc, but I'm inclined to say the former because I think it single-handedly ruins the ending of the graphic novel. 

Yeah how?

‘Nothing ends Adrian, nothing ever ends’.

The end reasserts the message of the original graphic novel entirely doesn’t it?

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

In a way, the HBO series "Watchmen" is the sequel to Doomsday Clock.

you know when people say the books don’t exist in the TV show threads? perhaps, in this one instance, we can collectively choose that the comic sequel doesn’t.