rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

55 minutes ago, Thor said:

Festoon's post likens the storytelling in this to most videogames, 

No. He mentions videolog-like devices to tell the story, like in a lot of videogames. 

and his post clearly implies he understands the source material better than the show's lead writer/producer.

His post doesn’t imply any of that, that’s just you fantasizing.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

24 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

No. He mentions videolog-like devices to tell the story, like in a lot of videogames.

By the same token you could say The Godfather Part II also does this, or basically any movie that has flashbacks. If anything I feel Watchmen handles that particular aspect very well, it affords the producers a medium to tell the story while making that medium a key part of the story. The use and implementation of Veidt's Nostalgia for this series was thoroughly fucking excellent as far as I am concerned.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only one or two literal video-log type scenes in the series:

Spoiler

I think I recall the 7th Cavalry putting a video out in the early episodes.

And, of course, the video from Veidt to a future President Redford. The videogame criticism does, in fairness, apply here - it looks like it was straight out of Command & Conquer. :lol: 

But I think that's it, the rest are flashbacks, like you'll get in tonnes of other shows and movies. They can be handled well, or they can be handled poorly; here, I felt they were handled very well indeed. 

29 minutes ago, Grobbelboy said:

His post doesn’t imply any of that, that’s just you fantasizing.

I respectfully disagree, see K's post above. 

Just jumping in quickly with my eyes half closed to avoid spoilers: i'm saving all these to binge in one go when it's finished. Is episode 8 the last one? There's a weird entry for an episode 9 on IMDB, but I can't tell if it's real or the community fucking around. 

image.png.584b5da55280db4e07481513223b813e.png

3 hours ago, K said:

I'd say the overall viewpoint is fairly clear. The original Watchmen was, partly, about how the cold war would be affected by the presence of actual superheroes, and the follow-up is about how the presence of superheroes might create a culture where it's acceptable to wear masks to fight injustice, and how that idea might be perverted by bigots and by the establishment. And specifically how that might affect attitudes to race.

Basically, nuclear war was the big idea behind the first one, and racism was the big idea behind the new one.

I agree with that, insofar as racism is the major theme of this, whereas describing the big idea of Watchmen as 'nuclear war' would be reductive. It just doesn't seem to have the depth, but perhaps that's because tv over nine hours or so couldn't have the depth of a large, dense, comic.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I was clear that I don't really care for the characters, which is a major failing for a TV series in my book. It's a valiant, serious effort to follow-up Watchmen that's worth watching and it really highlights how exceptional the original is.

Oh, I am curious as to why the Gamewarden is a different actor. I presume some kind of aborted experiment as the 'first' so he's given a role of importance by Dr. Manhattan. If it was a Moore story there'd probably be tons of reference to Gnostic gospels and early Lilith-style, written-out-of-the-main-story of Adam and Eve references for him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Oh, I am curious as to why the Gamewarden is a different actor. 

It's the same actor, you plonker. ;)

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's the same actor, you plonker. ;)

Is it? Lol. Well he's good. As is the Crookshanks actor. They're great. Best thing about the show.

Nah, I could do without all the Veidt stuff to be honest. But it does appear to be tieing everything together nicely now. 

I kinda wanted to hate it (fuck DC) but it's just too much fun. My highlights

The dead cows

Lube-Man

Laurie just being sick of it all

The trap door that didn't work the first time

The Elephant (ahah!! cos elephants never forget!!!!!, Well played Lindeloff, well played!!! I yelled at the TV)

Mrs Cruicshanks big Phoenix Wright pose

The Russian guy eating a bag of wotsits with a fork

• Upvote 4

On 09/12/2019 at 19:42, Thor said:

There was nothing wrong with him. It was a cracking episode. Can't wait for the finale. 

Nah he was a bit shit looking. One thing the movie did absolutely spot on.

Also nerdily irritated by

Spoiler

The fact he was on Europa. He said he was going to leave the galaxy at the end of Watchmen. 

This doesn't speak to the quality of the show at all, just my OCD. 

3 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I kinda wanted to hate it (fuck DC) but it's just too much fun. My highlights

The dead cows

Lube-Man

Laurie just being sick of it all

The trap door that didn't work the first time

The Elephant (ahah!! cos elephants never forget!!!!!, Well played Lindeloff, well played!!! I yelled at the TV)

Mrs Cruicshanks big Phoenix Wright pose

The Russian guy eating a bag of wotsits with a fork

What the fuck are you doing? As she points the TV remote control and frantically taps buttons :lol:

• Upvote 1

And done. 

It  answers it's questions (well most of them) but like the comic leaves a few unanswered (and the few "what happens next" bits up to your imagination)

I think the last episode might be one of the weaker, but still good. And the overall package has been brilliant.

• Upvote 3

Surprisingly neat ending, which would allow it to stand alone as a single season without needing a S2, but leaves room for more if it gets picked up again. 

Spoiler

So, it's the adopted son isn't it.

Yep, I felt that tied things up nicely, especially the Veidt stuff which I hated early on in the series. 

I enjoyed that all the way through, best of all I've picked up the comic again and I will be enjoying it over Christmas. Merry Christmas?

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, Popo said:

But wait... who is lube guy?!

Apparently there’s hints that it’s

Spoiler

FBI Agent Dale Petey

What a great show. I still didnt know who lube-man was, and did not see John's answer above when I posted (edited the message since), what were the hints? (other than he was a massive minute-men nerd??!!)

Yea I could go for that but why no reveal? He’s a guy who slipped down a bloody drain - we definitely need to know what the hell that’s all about but I don’t think he could sustain a whole second season - everything else here was tied up so neatly. 

I definitely don’t want a second season. Why tempt fate? That was the best thing I’ve seen all year. Bold as brass and it really delivered the goods. 

Damon Lindeloff, all is forgiven. 

That last episode was pretty weak compared to the rest of the series, ran through the motions of what was set up before, without any grand surprises. It felt like a stage play at times.

It was definitely the weakest episode of the series, but that’s like choosing a least favourite child. I was expecting a bit more of a wow factor or an amazing twist from the big plan, which in the end felt very small scale despite its ambition.

But it was still great. I did like the resolutions to all the open questions, and the very last shot too.

Was I the only one expecting the panning overhead shot of

Spoiler

the wreckage after the big ball thing fell to reveal the smiley face and splatter shape, Martian craters style?

I really want to watch it all again now, to spot all the clues I missed on the way.

Well, after watching the whole series I have to say I pretty much hated it! Mostly because I didn't believe the motivation of any of the characters who were in the comic and I didn't care about any of the new characters. Still, kudos to it for not being a lazy retread of the comic

Thought that wrapped everything up really well. All the stuff at the start with Veidt was fantastic. Such a brilliant series, gutted it’s over.

Love the 

theatre’s lights at the end only illuminating DR M.

Have to agree it was the worst episode in the series but still an amazing hour of TV. Everything tied up and that ending nice and ambiguous.

Am I right in thinking there is to be no second series? Would be perfect if not.

• Upvote 1

Yeah that's my feeling too. But that journey to the finale was some of my fave TV in years. 

I was bound to be a bit disappointed but overall 9.5/10 for Lindelof for this overall. 

On ep3 and the dialogue for Laurie is so glaringly bad. Her entire monologue about the girl who threw a brick in the air. Ugh. “I eat good guys for breakfast” - this is stuff fans of the show think is good writing?

• Upvote 1

I never really felt that the show's Laurie was the same person as the comic's. Even accepting for time passing.