rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

Another fantastic episode, although I am not a fan of Kings angry acting and hope she isn't back for Season 2.

She really lets down what is otherwise an impeccable cast.

Can I just recommend the Graphic Novel Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke. It's one of the most under rated GNs of all time, a truly fantastic prequel to Watchmen. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sandman said:

Another fantastic episode, although I am not a fan of Kings angry acting and hope she isn't back for Season 2.

She really lets down what is otherwise an impeccable cast.

Can I just recommend the Graphic Novel Minutemen by Darwyn Cooke. It's one of the most under rated GNs of all time, a truly fantastic prequel to Watchmen. 

Gonna have to disagree on King, she's ace. If anyone is shit, it's Irons. I simply can't believe that's an older Adrian Veidt, and his accent is ... just what the fuck is it supposed to be? It's shite. All the Veidt scenes are shite. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, sandman said:

Seconded it's the highlight of all of Before Watchmen. Though anything drawn by Darwyn deserves your time. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched ep7.

That was pretty epic by all accounts, some proper WTF moments throughout.

This is the second best thing I've seen this year, after Chernobyl.

• Upvote 1

Fuck me, the Veidt stuff is all fucking trash. Pure shite. 

Everything else, of course, is pure fucking gold. This latest episode is all kinds of amazing...

post-29949-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-Imgur-eTg

1 minute ago, DeciderVT said:

I need that version of

Hide contents

Life on Mars

that plays over the end credits. It's magnificent.

Reznor’s done a top notch job with the soundtrack. 

57 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fuck me, the Veidt stuff is all fucking trash. Pure shite. 

Everything else, of course, is pure fucking gold. This latest episode is all kinds of amazing...

post-29949-Clay-Davis-SHIT-gif-Imgur-eTg

No way the Veidt stuff is great. And a nicely done homage to Black Freighter. 

Anyhoo now that was a reveal right there. 

Did not see it coming but there were signs I'd been aware off that something wasnt right and clues too. 

Cannot wait for next week to find out more. 

Spoiler

Oh and Angela's life was pretty fucking sad and I really hope we see Manhatten stepping in hence their living together and playing happy families. Explains his stark answer about death and heaven to the kids in ep2 now doesn't it. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

No way the Veidt stuff is great. And a nicely done homage to Black Freighter. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. Almost everything involving Veidt in this series has been nonsense for me, especially this latest episode. 

• Upvote 1

How can this keep getting better? How is that possible?

When this is all over I’m going to have to watch it all again to see what was hidden in plain sight all along.

How many more episodes to go?

• Upvote 2

I have to say, that’s one of the all-time great cliffhangers in TV history. I didn’t see that coming, not until it actually happened. 

Also:

Spoiler

That explains why Laurie fancied him so much. :lol:

A93CA7B7-D1D9-4DF1-8952-BDF3A7336AF9.gif

• Upvote 2

Was it just me who rolled his eyes and groaned at the “surprising” bit where 

Spoiler

Angela breaks into that room and discovers she’s been receiving a fluid transfusion from a comatose elephant?

I dunno, maybe if they really put their heads together and tried, they could have come up with something even more insultingly obvious? Saw that coming a mile off. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, K said:

Hide contents

Angela breaks into that room and discovers she’s been receiving a fluid transfusion from a comatose elephant?

I dunno, maybe if they really put their heads together and tried, they could have come up with something even more insultingly obvious? Saw that coming a mile off. 

Spoiler

:lol:

Angela and I both said "what the fuck?" at exactly the same time

Just the best show;

So I've just read on twitter that the big blue dildo that Lawrie had in ep 3 was called Excalibur.

Or... y'know... Ex-Cal-Abur. 

I've been grinning from ear to ear for about ten minutes. Cracking work Lindelof and team.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Just the best show;

Hide contents

So I've just read on twitter that the big blue dildo that Lawrie had in ep 3 was called Excalibur.

I've been grinning from ear to ear for about ten minutes. Cracking work Lindelof and team.

Ooooh, that's good.

50 minutes ago, Mugman said:

Just the best show;

Hide contents

From a YouTube comment earlier:

Spoiler

The Cal/Kal-El similarity and the parallel of a superman disguising himself as a human.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, K said:

Hide contents

I thought it was pretty funny

She expects her grandfather and gets Dumbo. Although elephants do have good memories apparently and for the amount of Nostalgia that Angela took, she would need a sizeable transfusion I suppose

• Upvote 1

Spoiler

It was foreshadowed by a Dumbo-style VHS she saw in the first Saigon flashback wasn't it?

I really love the flashbacks in this; they're so good at evoking the past, but a past that's a bit different to our own. I think the Saigon ones this week were my favourite, especially the scene between Angela and her aunt, with Paul Young playing in the background.

So what's going on with Dr Manhattan? He got lonely being the sole godlike being and decided to insert himself back into a living human body? Did Angela know who he was all along, or just that there was something special about him?

I loved the episode but not sure I liked the way Lady Trieu just stated the big plot at the end, rather than it being shown. Also, it seems to be a bunch of powerful good guys against some dopey racist bad guys. Not sure I fancy Cycops' chances. Unless, this being Watchmen, Trieu's big plan is a massive overcompensation, like her clock lobotomises everyone who's ever had a racist thought or something.