rllmuk
JohnC

Watchmen on HBO

Man, I am such a chump. I got so laser focused on the idea of American Hero Story as the Black Freighter story-within-a-story counterpart that I ignored the blatantly obvious that was right before my eyes.

4EA39541-9964-463E-858A-4D5F43AF3D5E.jpeg.d7ff698506b11b4a7f2ca2fce6a85757.jpeg

Adrian’s gonna ruin himself trying to get home and avenge himself on his captor, it’s going to cost him everything he held dear.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Man, I am such a chump. I got so laser focused on the idea of American Hero Story as the Black Freighter story-within-a-story counterpart that I ignored the blatantly obvious that was right before my eyes.

4EA39541-9964-463E-858A-4D5F43AF3D5E.jpeg.d7ff698506b11b4a7f2ca2fce6a85757.jpeg

Adrian’s gonna ruin himself trying to get home and avenge himself on his captor, it’s going to cost him everything he held dear.

That panel was hommaged in the last episode. But yes you are probably right.  

My mind got blown yesterday finishing up a reread and Alan’s breakdown of page 1, panel 1. 

Which is a full page of text for one panel btw.  It totally refers to the end of the comic and the streets of New York running with blood. I only realised that yesterday and it did blow my mind a smidge. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

That panel was hommaged in the last episode. But yes you are probably right.  

My mind got blown yesterday finishing up a reread and Alan’s breakdown of page 1, panel 1. 

Which is a full page of text for one panel btw.  It totally refers to the end of the comic and the streets of New York running with blood. I only realised that yesterday and it did blow my mind a smidge. 

Link please!?

24 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Link please!?

It was from the Absolute edition so I’d have to take a photo on my phone of it.  

Harsin best me to it. 

Very twisty but I guess we got a lot of answers in this episode - the kind of thing I didn’t think Lindeloff was capable of delivering, but it all connected up and felt satisfying. 

I guess Angela was meant to take the pills, because otherwise she wouldn’t have believed her grandfather’s story. 

Another amazing piece of television. Could definitely have done without the mad strobing torch at the end - actually gave me a headache and I’ve never been photosensitive in that way.

Picking a favourite episode is like picking a favourite chapter from the book - they’re all great but work so well because of how they all fit together. But blimey that was good.

• Upvote 2

Let’s check back in on Doomsday Clock, the official comic sequel, to see how DC are handling their own property:

Issue #7: "Blind Spot"

Veidt uses his pet lynx Bubastis II (a clone of the original Bubastis that contains a sliver of Manhattan's power) and the Lantern battery to teleport himself, Rorschach II, Saturn Girl and Johnny Thunder to the Joker's funhouse and summon Manhattan. Manhattan reveals that Marionette is again pregnant and that Veidt faked his remorse and cancer in order to gain Reggie's help. Veidt then reveals that Walter Kovacs changed Malcolm Long's world view, leading to his separation from his wife; a secret Byron Lewis tried to hide to protect Reggie. Manhattan reveals that he came to the DC Universe to look for a place in the world, but saw nothing as he peered into the future.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, K said:

Let’s check back in on Doomsday Clock, the official comic sequel, to see how DC are handling their own property:

Tonight is the first time I've watched far enough into the credits to catch the DC logo and of course it's the comedian's badge spinning in a weirdly over the top shower of blood!

5 hours ago, Popo said:

Very twisty but I guess we got a lot of answers in this episode - the kind of thing I didn’t think Lindeloff was capable of delivering, but it all connected up and felt satisfying. 

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

I do think we need to find out what they did with the real Lindelof though. It’s just getting obvious and silly now.

Did literally nobody watch The Leftovers, because whilst this is excellent, it's not quite reached that level of masterful storytelling (yet)?

• Upvote 8

I'm gonna revisit The leftovers I bailed out on S1 after that stoning scene. 

Lovely bit of intention that has been confirmed FT and Sons the grocer and racist in that episode. 

Who could it be....

• Upvote 1

That was really great.

Taking a fairly trivial background character from the comics and spinning a whole episode out from it was so clever. And the way it mixed in with TV universe felt so natural.

One question I have.

Was Angelas grandmother the baby her grandfather found back in episode 1?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

So this is actually good then? 

Absolutely fantastic so far. The last episode in particular could make this the show of the year for me.

If your a fan of the original comic, it's a very worthy follow up. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

So this is actually good then? 

As a self avowed fan boy of Alan Moore and the original comic, who had major doubts about the series even existing. 

Yes its fucking brilliant. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Pob said:

No, Silent Runner is right. 

Just to clarify what cassidy said above because I had to look it up:

Hide contents

It’s suggested that racist market owner was Fred Trump, father of Donald, who owned a market in that area at that time. Which means Hooded Justice removed Donald Trump from this timeline. Yay!

Did he die though? Don’t remember him being in the burning building.