rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

Pillars of Eternity 2

E3 bit!

That engine is well and truly sorted. We are going to get loads of these games for years to come :) I actually hope they keep them to around 50-60 hours of content as I can actually get through.  I did a full run through of BG 1/2 and the extra content a few years back and clocked in over 350 hours but that was because there wasn't really much to on to after those for years.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

My issue with the game wasn't so much that it was boring, as I never really got far enough to truly find out, but more that I have an issue with games such as this where I start and restart and restart again trying to find a build or playstyle that is both a) fun and b) effective and as a result c) never finish anything. 

My answer with this is always to go with preferred types. My first play through will always be a warrior type Paladin to see the story, mainly because I like the good routes plus the easier healing. Then when I'm satisfied I'll come back and do another run through with a sorceror type character. After that it's just messing about.

I liked the engine improvements from the start, when they showed their first video. It has some nice 3D elements in there, weather effects, trees swinging in the wind, etc. It looks like the engine is really coming into its own now.

Anybody picked this up? I'm polishing off a run of the first before starting it. Surprised there's been no chatter about it here. 

I'm really enjoying it, for what it's worth. Which is no mean feat considering I have two D&D sessions on the go at the moment, so my headspace for RPGs is pretty full at the moment; despite that handicap PoE2 has grabbed me.

It feels a lot... punchier than the original. Just a different kind of pacing to the proceedings - it helps that you're playing the same character you already established in the first game, and a lot of your companions are liable to be from the first game and so need no introduction (unless, you know, you killed all of them - saves carry over or can be replicated in extensive detail if you don't have a save to hand). While there's a lot going on the game doesn't need to introduce quite as many things to you, and that's for the good.

The ship battles I'm a bit ambivalent towards, but the general gameplay and writing I'm enjoying a lot so far (~10 hours in). Plenty of allegiances to make and break, a fun set of piratical characters to deal with. Oh, and the game is gorgeous, which is nice.

• Upvote 2

It's pretty good isn't it? Sank a fair amount of time into it over the weekend (urgh wish I was at home playing it now!).  I'm not really getting on witht he ship combat though, don't really like the Choose your own Adventure style and feels like it would have been much better with a Pirates! style combat.

I'm only level 7 but I keep having my butt kicked by random encounters.. though I do only have a team of 5 at the moment.

5 is the max you can have I think. I'm enjoying this a lot more than the first so far. Less emphasis on the drab main quest is a positive. 

Alas, the main quest is just as drab in the sequel as it was in the first game. All the metaphysics stuff is so dull and overwritten. It also suffers from the "let's have a city that's so huge you'll spend hours there before you can leave again. Pacing? What's that?"

I like the big city stuff. Athkatla in Baldur's Gate 2 still remains my favourite bit in any RPG. In this game in enjoying messing around with pirates and the rival trading companies and not really caring about all the god stuff. 

I just want to get out and do a bit of exploring though, see some new islands and actually do one of the half a dozen bounty quests I got. Instead I'm just quick travelling from one building to another to finish the seemingly endless amount of quests packed into this huge city. It's mostly interesting, sure, but it's all in the one place. I just don't know why certain RPGs insist on doing it. Just gate the progress to some of the quests. Find a way to encourage the player to leave the city after an hour or two, not reward them for exploring every single city zone for hours.

19 hours ago, Radish said:

I just want to get out and do a bit of exploring though, see some new islands and actually do one of the half a dozen bounty quests I got. Instead I'm just quick travelling from one building to another to finish the seemingly endless amount of quests packed into this huge city. It's mostly interesting, sure, but it's all in the one place. I just don't know why certain RPGs insist on doing it. Just gate the progress to some of the quests. Find a way to encourage the player to leave the city after an hour or two, not reward them for exploring every single city zone for hours.

I'm at the start of that city I think... the big mountain?  I walked around a dock called the Queens Berth.  Went in every building and did a couple of quests but it seems to be a bit aimless, there's not much driving me from place to place.  I've wondered onto the next area but stopped for the evening. I'm enjoying it so far especially the writing and most of the voices I'm taking time to listen too. Usually in games like this I just speed read through the text but this is different.

I really want this. 

I didn't finish the first, despite starting it multiple times. Didn't finish Divinity Original Sin, or Divinity Original Sin 2. Didn't finish wasteland 2. Or Baldurs Gate. Or Baldurs Gate 2. Or icewind Dale. Or Planescape. Or Tyranny. 

But I still really want this. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Orko said:

I really want this. 

I didn't finish the first, despite starting it multiple times. Didn't finish Divinity Original Sin, or Divinity Original Sin 2. Didn't finish wasteland 2. Or Baldurs Gate. Or Baldurs Gate 2. Or icewind Dale. Or Planescape. Or Tyranny. 

You can get by with just reading a summary of the plot from the first.  The ending all links into this but its quite good at explaining a lot if you just have a general idea of what happened.  I have a terrible memory and couldn't remember loads of it but there was enough info in 2 to keep me going.

14 hours ago, Orko said:

I really want this. 

Come on... :o - edit: you mean Torment, right? :P

Go back and finish them. They are leagues better than Pillars.

46 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Come on... :o - edit: you mean Torment, right? :P

Go back and finish them. They are leagues better than Pillars.

Though make sure you mod Torment. Looks awful in its standard mode.

• Upvote 1

I started playing tyranny again last night, picking up where I left off. Can't remember much of what's happened or how I got there, but boy is it a good story. 

Close to 90 minutes in this game, and I'm enjoying myself greatly. (This is much better than Divinity 2) 

Obsidian is truly a great developer. One of my all time favorites. 

This is just not gripping me.  I don't know what it is about it that I don't like.  The last game like this I played was Wasteland 2 and that was brilliant.

I'm not a big fan of text based rpg's so maybe thats my problem.   I have just got my ship back, does it start getting better or am I missing the point?

Started yesterday and did three hours or so. Surprisingly I’m liking the voice acting, whereas normally I skip through it as fast as possible.

Also like:

- the increased emphasis on choose your own adventure (each vignette seems less overwritten than Tides, and it allows to expand the storytelling without the budget), 

- the explicit use and showing of gating on conversation options  (here’s what you could have won),

- the party reputation screen (here’s what your party actually like and respond to, if you don’t want to wind them up; here’s what your alignment actually means, if you want to role play, and you’ll benefit in the passive skills tree).

- the map screen, which is much more pleasant to navigate than the first’s more traditional multiple screens of walking tedium.

I’m... as far as Cool Ben was in the last post :-o.

Been playing through this finally. The game just had a major update with more sub-classes added, the variety of character builds on offer is really something special in this game. I'm a big Critical Role fan so would love to do a playthrough with a Vox Machina team!

I'm very time limited which is unfortunate as my favourite games are CRPGs and massive fantasy RPGs in general which, combined with my need to do every quest I come across, makes for slow progress!

Getting pretty bad stuttering which I've been unable to correct (RX 480 / FX6300). 

Did anyone finish this? Which characters did you enjoy? 

Cool addition, would have loved to have this option before starting my playthrough as I don't think I'll have time for another. Maybe a few years down the line!

I’ve never played this style of RPG before but I was tempted to try out either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity. Are the comparable? And which is considered the better series if so. 

53 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’ve never played this style of RPG before but I was tempted to try out either Pillars of Eternity or Divinity. Are the comparable? And which is considered the better series if so. 

Fairly different really within the context of both being team based WRPGs.  Divinity is much lighter in tone with typical fantasy fare, and Pillars is a lot darker in tone with much more to read in terms of lore and backstory.  Combat wise Divinity is strictly turn based and involves using the landscape to best advantage whereas Pillars is RTwP, so fairly similar to the likes of Baldur's Gate, just a bit more clunky.  Divinity was inspired principally by Ultima so there is a lot more potential interaction with objects in the world. Pillars has a more traditional journal structure whereas Divinity give you lots of scope to achieve objectives in different ways, but some would criticise the lack of specific direction (basically you work systematically round the map, rather than a go there and do that sort of approach). Both have been well received critically and commercially.  I would pick up either of the first games when they go on sale and take things from there.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fargo said:

If you've literally never played an RPG like this, I'd suggest watching gameplay of each (ideally including some dialogue), and see what you think. Of Pillars and Divinity I've only played the first of each (both on PS4), and love Pillars but have repeatedly bounced off Divinity.

Pillars is a sombre, more serious game, and feels like an update of an Infinity Engine RPG, which is great for someone like me who grew up with Baldur's Gate et al. That's also what people dislike about it however, as the world has moved on since Infinity Engine, and Pillars is still quite old school (despite having updated and streamlined a lot), though the console controls are impressively slick and intuitive. Divinity in contrast feels more lighthearted and silly, which I disliked, and I didn't warm to the turn-based combat despite finding the idea of it appealing; felt very clunky to control on PS4 too. Your mileage may vary :)

• Upvote 2

So, after trying to get into Pillars 1 three times and bouncing off every time I reached the Stronghold, and after recently finishing Outer Worlds and loving it, I thought I'd finally give Pillars 2 a shot. Been a long time since I've played sat at my PC instead of the telly (PC is also hooked up to the telly, so it's only m+kb games that I play at the desk).

I'm still really early into the game, but unlike Pillars 1 I'm way INTO the game! Maybe I'm in a different mindset, maybe I went in with lower expectations, but to me the writing feels snappier, the story a lot less meandering, and the start at least is more interesting.

Oh and thank God there are no Kickstarter backer characters with shitty out of place writing strewn everywhere.

Maybe further on it'll fizzle out for me like Pillars 1 did, but the big difference is that I'm really enjoying Pillars 2 right now and I'm eager to get back to it. With Pillars 1, I had to force myself through it in the hope that at a certain point it would grab me. Instead I always crashed into the Stronghold and gave up. That was a gameplay mechanic I didn't give a shit about and felt incredibly forced, like it was a Kickstarter promise they were obliged to fulfill. Here it seems like pretty soon I'll be getting a boat to upgrade and use as a mobile stronghold... Since I'm enjoying the rest of the game so far, I hope it's better implemented this time around.

Shout out to the lavish production, Pillars 2 looks gorgeous. With games like Wasteland 2 and Tyranny you could see the low budget sparseness, the developer making the best of the limited resources they had, but this feels properly fleshed out and high budget. Lovely :wub:

• Upvote 1