Football Thread 2017/18

Plissken

1 hour ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

Rooney stuff

What a great post :)

Its maybe unfair to compare Rooney and Ronaldo, but what Ronaldo has been to Portugal is what Rooney could/should have been for England. When i think about what Rooney has achieved in titles etc he's done a lot but still seems to have underperformed somehow, especially for England but he is the top goal scorer! But somehow it doesnt seem enough. When i think about the goal he scored against Newcastle which was a beauty, it was too sporadic an occurrence. Was it money took some hungrr away? Or too many games too young? Media pressure?

I think he played on so much instinct, and didn't or couldn't maintain his fitness, because he had a boxer's physique and played a lot of games at the highest level from being a teenager onwards. And because maybe he didn't appreciate that side of preparation mattering, or was just unprofessional and lazy. There's quotes attributed to him like 'I don't do tricks, I play football'. Which makes him sound like an old school street footballer not interested in anything fancy and subtle, he's all blunt force. But you can imagine him having that attitude to going to the gym which is a massive part of football training now. I think not being in supreme physical shape affected his sharpness, his lack of physical sharpness affected his mental sharpness. I think a lot of his adaptability as a player filling in positions was because he was losing that acute danger in his play, rather than him being selfless. His instinct in front of goal in how to shape his body is still there in glimpses but his overall play I just thought consisted of diagonal balls, not a sign of his all round ability but laziness in terms of his approach to attacking. 

That cushioned header in Euro 2004 (I'm sure it was then, not 2006) was so praised because Rooney was jumping backwards and it was the power he generated and the composure I guess to think of doing it that Hansen liked, but I think they were just high on optimism. 

Most young talents are more well rounded than maybe people see, I think. But it's not their role so you won't see them pinging balls across the field. I remember a Sterling through ball to Sturridge against Swansea in the 2012/13 season that was an outside of his foot curler from the half way line on the break so perfectly weighted and placed Sturridge just skipped around the keeper. Or when Kane was breaking through about 18 months ago he dribbled up the pitch and the opposition defence was in a mess, and Kane held the ball up and played blindly across behind him to an on running Mason. The awareness was so impressive. Rooney played a few last season like that too, to Mata. 

Pundits suggested it was the cheating on Coleen that was affecting his state of mind during 2010, but players mostly say they block everything out when they step on to the pitch. I think if the media didn't cling on to him being this 'world class player', the white Pele, and endlessly compare him to Ronaldo and Messi, then they'd be a lit less fuss around the entitlement he was provided in the England team and for United for years past the point everyone should have accepted he shouldn't have teams dependant on him, and he shouldn't play in place of better centre forwards. I just think he became a James Milner type of utility player, and that's not a diss.

Rooneys problem is that he is English. In Germany, Spain, Italy or France he would have come with a tactical knowledge instilled from an early age, or coaches would know how to take that talent and build an entire team - club or national - around them.  You see it with the German, Spanish or Italian U-21s, they know how to play with and for each other, they know the strategy and the plan and the system.

Rooney was so English, just a battering ram of power and pure instinct.  A mix of Ronaldo and Messi.  Yet stuck in a country with a manager who didn't give a shit about the national team (that isn't a knock, it isn't his job to do so) and a national team that had no idea what to do with the talent at its disposal.  So when the power fades - and he didn't give much of a damn about his fitness, still smoking even now I think - and the instinct is smothered by the responsibilities of experience, then he is bound to fade. 

He's not the first, won't be the last.

37 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Not sure why you got negged for that. The England setup is largely for managers who have failed elsewhere. Even the top job is now either one last payoff or because no club wants to employ them.

Watford fan perhaps?

I had the misfortune to endure not once but twice, having to watch Watford v Reading while Boothroyd was their manager and they both the worst two games of football I have seen live and that includes over a season of Reading under Tommy Burns, where a forward pass was something to cheer for, never mind the very occasional goal.

Abdelhak Nouri, 20 year old Ajax player collapses late on in the game v Werder Bremen and through a lack of oxygen to the brain upon his collapse, he has now been left with permanent brain damage. 

Such a sad story and the footage of his collapse really hits home how you really have absolutely no control. 

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

Man City have just spent £50m on Kyle Walker.

Spurs must be laughing their socks off to bank that money, knowing that Kieran Trippier is as good a replacement.

Indeed, as a wing back Tripper is a better player overall, so I guess Spurs will be playing three at the back more often than not now.

Ironically Man City have just spent over £50 mill on a player deemed not as a good as player they once had in their youth academy.  Personally as much as I like Walker, I prefer Tripper and if this now means Kyle Walker-Peters gets a chance as Trippier's back up, then this move should work out for all three parties.

Watford have signed Chalobah from Chelsea for a pretty bargainous £5m. He was really good on loan a few years back and it's great to get some more young blood in midfield (to add to Hughes). We've had early 30s plodders for way too long. 

Anyway, just cos:

I suppose £40m would be good for Swansea, it's a great price but damn it, I think I want Sigurdsson to stay more. It's not like we need the cash anyway. I guess that's why we're able to push the price up, we don't need to sell our best player, and he only signed a new 4-year deal last year. If he goes then Swansea really need to find more goal scorers and creative attacking midfielders. 

That's one ref that's not going to see a promotion in a long time you'd hope. You've got to assume he's been looking at the players in the box and so assumes the corner taker is taking the piss, but seriously? Does he not see the coins or the bloody beer bottle!

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 21:41, Liamness said:

They might be divided by religion and by sectarianism, but seemingly not by their love of Buckfast.

What a bloody joke <_<

When that team come to Parkhead theres probably gonna be a riot