rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

St Johnstone disappear from European competition as well, going out to a Lithuanian side.  Aberdeen went through and obviously Celtic have some Champions League qualifiers.

For comparison, the League of Ireland also have two representatives through, Cork City and Shamrock Rovers.  Derry went out to Midtyjland (who have faced Premier League opposition, so to be expected).

19 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Not according to Everton. Who knows. Do they need the money? I suspect not.

was it a straight swap for rooney?

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

was it a straight swap for rooney?

Meaning they didn't need to actually sell Lukaku as they're not Crewe Alexandria or Exeter City; you're one of the worst pedants on here @seanr. At least the other pedants are funny.

2 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Meaning they didn't need to actually sell Lukaku as they're not Crewe Alexandria or Exeter City; you're one of the worst pedants on here @seanr. At least the other pedants are funny.

I think you're reading too much into my post. :unsure:

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I think you're reading too much into my post. :unsure:

If I merged your last 10,000 posts together there wouldn't be much to read into @SeanR

I'm hot and grumpy today and my feet hurt

On 27/06/2017 at 19:05, Revival said:

I hope this is true, also they could look at reducing the price for HD too. If it was, say £3.00 in their new price to add it on Skysports football. 

I think that would encourage more people to take up their HD. As they've now got 4K to upsell 

11 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I was really sad to read that Bradley Lowery, the young Sunderland fan, has passed away.  He seemed like a nice kid, always smiling in every photograph.

Jermaine Defoe went up in my estimation a huge amount for everything he did to try and make the poor lad's last year on the planet a good one and his seemingly genuine connection with him.

Absolutely heart breaking. 

Want to give Defoe a big hug too. 

• Upvote 1

Including agents fees, added extras and wages it's rumoured the Lukaku deal is costing around 115 million. Ouch

How big is the Man Utd debt these days? I've been wondering for a long time if this money bubble that has inflated over the last 20 years is going to burst and if so what affect it will have on clubs that supposedly have large debts from years of heavy spending to stay at the top.

I think Man Utd are so big and so marketable and there name has so much weight behind it that they'll never be in real danger of going bust. The debt following the Glazers intial purchase was circa £700m iirc the Glazers have taken a huge amount of money out and yet they still spend crazy money.

1 hour ago, Dig Dug said:

How big is the Man Utd debt these days? I've been wondering for a long time if this money bubble that has inflated over the last 20 years is going to burst and if so what affect it will have on clubs that supposedly have large debts from years of heavy spending to stay at the top.

We don't have debts as a result of heavy spending - it is all due to the financing of the Glazers' initial purchase and subsequent dividends the family have chosen to pay themselves. The debt levels are significant - around £350m last I checked - and they do not seem to be making it a priority to pay it down. If the club ever is genuinely free of the debt, the repayments and other costs will total over £1bn, and that's a number that will only go up the longer it stays on our books. It's honestly quite remarkable how well the club has managed, given the sheer amount it's been bled for. When I think about what else could've been done with that money - lowering ticket prices, expanding the south stand, improving the academy, maybe occasionally buying a central midfielder, etc - it's quite frustrating. It's particularly galling when you look at City and their owners who are willing to put money into the club for the long-term, not take it out, to the benefit of the local area in some cases. Again you can contrast this with the Glazers, who've actually reduced the club's contribution to society by offsetting costs relating to the debt against its tax bill. Oh, and then there's that small matter of basing us in the Cayman Islands.

Of course they have also presided over success at the club, on and off the pitch (although it's questionable to what degree they are responsible for either). Because of this, we can fund insane transfers, and pay massive wages, and service the debt. We currently have an unbalanced squad and not much of an identity on the pitch, but there are enough funds there that these problems are surely only going to be there for the short to medium term.

Apparently Wolves have signed Ruben Neves, which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, but Mendes is involved so I'm guessing it's all set up to benefit him in the long run.

• Upvote 3

We have.

Our manager was boss of Porto last year, and we have the 2nd richest owners in England I believe.  They're trying to build something.

Our owners also own 20% of Mendes' agency, and he's seeing Wolves as a bit of a project too.

At the moment it's mutually beneficial for all parties.

We've also signed Boly from Porto today, and I don't think we're finished.

Should be an exciting season.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Liamness said:

We don't have debts as a result of heavy spending - it is all due to the financing of the Glazers' initial purchase and subsequent dividends the family have chosen to pay themselves. The debt levels are significant - around £350m last I checked - and they do not seem to be making it a priority to pay it down. If the club ever is genuinely free of the debt, the repayments and other costs will total over £1bn, and that's a number that will only go up the longer it stays on our books. It's honestly quite remarkable how well the club has managed, given the sheer amount it's been bled for. When I think about what else could've been done with that money - lowering ticket prices, expanding the south stand, improving the academy, maybe occasionally buying a central midfielder, etc - it's quite frustrating. It's particularly galling when you look at City and their owners who are willing to put money into the club for the long-term, not take it out, to the benefit of the local area in some cases. Again you can contrast this with the Glazers, who've actually reduced the club's contribution to society by offsetting costs relating to the debt against its tax bill. Oh, and then there's that small matter of basing us in the Cayman Islands.

Of course they have also presided over success at the club, on and off the pitch (although it's questionable to what degree they are responsible for either). Because of this, we can fund insane transfers, and pay massive wages, and service the debt. We currently have an unbalanced squad and not much of an identity on the pitch, but there are enough funds there that these problems are surely only going to be there for the short to medium term.

Apparently Wolves have signed Ruben Neves, which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me, but Mendes is involved so I'm guessing it's all set up to benefit him in the long run.

I see. Thank you for settling that for me.

1 hour ago, Liamness said:

When I think about what else could've been done with that money... maybe occasionally buying a central midfielder

Yeah, but seriously?

• Upvote 1

When we signed Fellaini, that was the first time we'd signed a central midfielder (for the first team, at least) in something like five years - since Anderson and Hargreaves came in. We had Ji-Sung Park playing there, Scholes coming back from retirement... it was genuinely weird!

On 07/07/2017 at 21:56, feltmonkey said:

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I was really sad to read that Bradley Lowery, the young Sunderland fan, has passed away.  He seemed like a nice kid, always smiling in every photograph.

Jermaine Defoe went up in my estimation a huge amount for everything he did to try and make the poor lad's last year on the planet a good one and his seemingly genuine connection with him.

I never really got this story. My sympathy goes out to the family of course, it's a really tragic tale and all credit to Defoe as you say...I'm just not sure why this particular sick child got so much coverage when there are hundreds/thousands of terminally ill children in the UK. They can't all be given GOTM or lead England out at Wembley...

I know that sounds heartless but it's not intended that way, I just don't understand why this particular story really gripped the public when sadly it's something that many families struggle with on a daily basis.

• Upvote 3

because the kid really loved Sunderland and football? and forged a close and public relationship with Defoe? is it that hard to understand?

• Upvote 3

Price is irrelevant these days, fact is Lukaku is great.  80-odd PL goals to his name already and he's only 24. And they've managed to offload Rooney? Hate seeing United do good business <_<

13 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

£90m for Lukaku? What the actual fuck?

And Rooney rejoins Everton ! :lol:

I know that was suggested as possible for a while but for some reason I find it funny that it's actually happened, photo of him in Everton shirt an all. Lukaku in red will be weird. 

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Price is irrelevant these days, fact is Lukaku is great.  80-odd PL goals to his name already and he's only 24. And they've managed to offload Rooney? Hate seeing United do good business <_<

And get one over on Chelsea at the sametime :D

17 hours ago, pervent aline perio grow d said:

And Rooney rejoins Everton ! :lol:

I know that was suggested as possible for a while but for some reason I find it funny that it's actually happened, photo of him in Everton shirt an all. Lukaku in red will be weird. 

I imagine Rooney will be spending most of the time on that contract warming the bench.  He's a bit of a conundrum, Rooney. Being the same age of me he is the first big player whose career I've been exposed to and followed throughout life, when he burst through as a 16yr old he looked special, like really special. He seemed to be the complete attacker and was only a school boy, his potential was scary. Then Euro 2004 happened and we all thought we had a world class player here, he was a beast in that tournament, no one was able to handle him. Then... it all just went a bit flat didn't it?

His goal scoring record for England and United looking back at it is excellent, but why does it feel so 'meh'? Maybe because the player we thought was in this 16yr old just never emerged, or maybe we just had unrealistic hopes for him? He certainly never reproduced that form for England again.  I've heard some say he peaked at 20? But how can that be? Surely he would learn and develop his game further? It could be that his  unique physique that allowed him to bully the best in Euro 2004 just wasn't able to provide him of year's of blistering acceleration and when he lost that he started to look more ordinary. Maybe his game intelligence was just lacking and he couldn't progress like other players do. He never seemed to also have a real position nailed down, he spent his career being shuffled around the field without ever making a position his own. 

I  remember reading Ferguson saying how Rooney had lost his pace and couldn't last a full 90 minutes. And how old was he? 27/28? Ferguson did seem to lose faith in him by the end. It did feel that by 28 Rooney was past it as a top level player, probably 5yrs  earlier than most. 

Maybe Rooney will surprise me at Everton and make this post mortem pretty pointless. I just doubt it. 

• Upvote 1

A mixture of injuries and playing too many games at a young age meant he was finished as a world class striker in his mid 20s like Owen, Fowler and Torres before him (I have a slight Liverpool bias). It says a lot about him that he's still around and seen as a big signing when those players just faded away. His move back to Everton is a mirror of Torres going back to Athletico.

One thing is for sure, Rooney will score in the Merseyside derby because narratives.

1 hour ago, glb said:

One thing is for sure, Rooney will score in the Merseyside derby because narratives.

Hat trick against Man U but Everton will still lose 4-3 cause, well, they always lose against united.

• Upvote 1