rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

I'm not sure if anything will ever top Germany walloping Brazil at the 2014 World Cup. 64 years waiting for a chance to host the World Cup and right the wrong of failing to win the World Cup on Brazilian soil only for Germany to show up and hand out the worst beating a Brazilian team has ever gotten by beating them 1-7. Never mind football, that has to be one of the most humiliating beatings in the history of sport. 

• Upvote 3

Some of you might be interested in this: A mate of mine has been collecting football shirts for a while and has managed to, among others, get hold of one of every international FIFA team, and has written about each one on a blog. It was just a thing he was doing for himself, but since completing the international collection the press has picked him up, he's been on a few scottish programs and newspapers all over Europe. :D Happy for him.

http://www.theglobalobsession.com/

The press will never be as interested in my Mega Drive game collection. :(

• Upvote 1

2016: "Scottish football is so high quality that Joey Barton isn't good enough."
2017: Joey Barton goes to the Premier League

Also 2017: Rangers lose to 4th placed team in Luxembourg.

12 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

First time Progrès have ever won a European game, and they'd only scored one goal before, in a 1-1 draw with Glentoran in 1981.

You could say they've certainly made good Progrès (progress) (wifi)!

• Upvote 3

I loved Danny Baker's reaction to it:

Rangers have been dumped out of Europe by a team from a country that you could completely carpet, with underlay, for under £75.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, kensei said:

Have the football anoraks here got any candidates for a funnier result in World football? I can't see what tops it.

The aforementioned Dudelange game as it was after Salzburg had been Red Bulled is close. Cape Verde drawing with Portugal? Faroes doing the double over Greece? Hard to think of a worse loss though.

9 hours ago, kensei said:

Have the football anoraks here got any candidates for a funnier result in World football? I can't see what tops it.

A bunch of part timers from the US beating England 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup, a result so surprising one paper thought it was supposed to have read 1-10. That'd have had me chuckling as a nipper if I was really, really old now.

Celtic have a couple of shockers too in recent history - losing 1-0 to Lincoln in Brendan Rodgers' first game, or 5-0 to Artmedia in Gordon Strachan's.

• Upvote 1

We finally announced the signing of Steve Mounié for about £12m this morning. That's ten times what our transfer record was a year ago :lol:. Apparently only Benteke won more aerial duels in Europe last season and on paper he sounds exactly like the sort of player we've been crying out for up front. I think our chances of survival probably depend on it working out that way.

Tom Ince for £7.5m might end up a clever bit of business, we needed more goals from all over and he's been pretty impressive that way for Derby. Don't think he ever made the right moves in this league before so he should have a bit of a point to prove.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

We finally announced the signing of Steve Mounié for about £12m this morning. That's ten times what our transfer record was a year ago :lol:. Apparently only Benteke won more aerial duels in Europe last season and on paper he sounds exactly like the sort of player we've been crying out for up front. I think our chances of survival probably depend on it working out that way.

Tom Ince for £7.5m might end up a clever bit of business, we needed more goals from all over and he's been pretty impressive that way for Derby. Don't think he ever made the right moves in this league before so he should have a bit of a point to prove.

You have a good manager and are making some good signings so far, a few more experienced players & agree you are in with a good shout of staying up.

Tom Ince though? He's lightweight for the Championship, let alone the Premier League. Talented as all hell but...

Then again, Wagner isn't stupid. If he can get something out of him then it is a smart signing. £7.5m is a decent gamble these days.

Burnley had an £8m bid for Assombalonga turned down. Means that there could be truth in the Andre Gray sold for £15m rumours.

Being lightweight for that division didn't stop him either scoring or assisting 55 goals in 115 games for Derby. I'd say it's a gamble worth taking for the money, especially since we need more players with an eye for goal.

Get ready for some lols on Match of the Day (last on, probably) if Rajiv van la Parra gets into a shooting position. That's what we're needing to upgrade on.

Was perusing reddit and this was one of my favourite comments:

Who will Conte go for now?

Abramovich with a steel chair.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

Lukaku has finally left Everton.

To Man Utd. Was his satnav broken?

Not according to Everton. Who knows. Do they need the money? I suspect not.

5 hours ago, _Pow_ said:

Luxembourg’s top flight and 1st divisions have fairly normal names but the 2nd division is called the Luxembourg Division of Honour. Isn’t that lovely?

The Portuguese second division also used to have that name. Well, apart from the Luxembourg bit.