Jump to content
rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2017/18

Recommended Posts

It was a penalty though.

 

Ha, guess they're going to Wembley anyway! Really well worked goal actually. Haven't had another move that good this whole half.

 

*edit* Hmm. Looks like it was flicked on by Alderweireld actually, bit of luck, probably deserved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Butters said:

Even if it was a penalty (I've only seen it once so far), the way he through himself to the ground was pathetic. Seriously needs to cut that out of his game.

 

Why? He keeps getting rewarded for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fucking get in!

 

(I said "this is the part where dele alli falls over" during the build up to the penalty, and I was right. Just call me nostrodamus)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

 

Why? He keeps getting rewarded for it.

 

5 minutes ago, SeanR said:

fucking get in!

 

(I said "this is the part where dele alli falls over" during the build up to the penalty, and I was right. Just call me nostrodamus)

 

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

 

Well, that says more about the quality of refereeing than anything else. 

 

It was a penalty, you can not like the man/club but that was a clear a penalty as you will see even with the anti glasses on :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

 

 

It was a penalty, you can not like the man/club but that was a clear a penalty as you will see even with the anti glasses on :lol:

 

Read back. I didn't say it wasn't a penalty, as I'd only seen it once and not enough to judge. I said that he throws himself to the ground theatrically and needs to cut it out. 

 

I've seen him do it more than once in games this season to try to win penalties. He's a really good player, but when it comes to that, he loses me entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll reserve judgement until I see it again but live and on the first replay nah, a leg brushed him very lightly and he reacted like he was running away from an exploding building in a low grade action movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

 

 

It was a penalty, you can not like the man/club but that was a clear a penalty as you will see even with the anti glasses on :lol:

 

when i said it dele alli didn't even have the ball... :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Lol, assume you are a Woolwich fan like the Twitter poster!

 

and the fact it says it under all of my posts... I take it your a middlesex fan by the fact that you think throwing yourself into another player is a pen? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, humdrum said:

 

and the fact it says it under all of my posts... I take it your a middlesex fan by the fact that you think throwing yourself into another player is a pen? 

You guys had Pires, who would fall over if a guy siting at the back of the stadium breathed heavily.

 

Face it, every team has players that go down too easily/dive, does this make it right, of course not, but sadly it has always happened and I expect it always will.

 

With regards to the game today, I am chuffed Rochdale got a reply, they will get a trip to Wembley, and loads of much needed cash so I wasn't upset at all when they got their much deserved equaliser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there even any contact with Alli? I’ve watched the replay loads of times and even if there is, it’s only a slight brush of the thigh. Nothing that’d make someone go down so theatrically, unless they were diving for a penalty of course. The way he kicks his left leg out to make it look more dramatic is shameless.

 

Well deserved replay though. Especially after Spurs trying to win it through cheating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats two different arguments, I'm not saying no arsenal player has ever dived or that Arsenal players don't dive, I am talking about Alli. Did Pires dive yes. Does Alli dive yes.

 

I at least can admit it unlike half the spurs fans on here and twitter that are adamant that it was a pen normally with the excuse "there was contact" which just  how little people understand the rules. contact is not a foul. generating contract by jumping into the player doesn't make it a foul either. 

 

He is already going down when the contact happens.

 

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 19.11.33.png

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, humdrum said:

 

and the fact it says it under all of my posts... I take it your a middlesex fan by the fact that you think throwing yourself into another player is a pen? 

 

Dont look at sigs or have them on!

 

No idea what your next comment means but it’s hilarious due to your lots history of cheating and diving so carry on ironing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen the twitter video posted above*, but it looks a penalty to me. the contact is knee on knee initially. As a defender you can't stick your leg across into an attacker's path, make contact with his leg, and get nowhere near the ball like that. If I did that I'd expect to concede a foul, to be honest.

 

It's a dive as well, he's flung himself to the floor, but it's still a foul. The subsequent dive doesn't cancel that out. I wish some fans could get their heads around the twin facts that 1) sometimes it can be a dive and a penalty, and 2) just because there's contact that doesn't mean it is a penalty.

 

*I love the fact that we went to a twitter account with the word gunner in the name and a picture of an Arsenal badge as the avatar for an independent view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Dont look at sigs or have them on!

 

No idea what your next comment means but it’s hilarious due to your lots history of cheating and diving so carry on ironing! 

 

well, i guess that makes it ok for dele alli to do it then... :quote:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I've only seen the twitter video posted above*, but it looks a penalty to me. the contact is knee on knee initially. As a defender you can't stick your leg across into an attacker's path, make contact with his leg, and get nowhere near the ball like that. If I did that I'd expect to concede a foul, to be honest.

 

It's a dive as well, he's flung himself to the floor, but it's still a foul. The subsequent dive doesn't cancel that out. I wish some fans could get their heads around the twin facts that 1) sometimes it can be a dive and a penalty, and 2) just because there's contact that doesn't mean it is a penalty.

 

*I love the fact that we went to a twitter account with the word gunner in the name and a picture of an Arsenal badge as the avatar for an independent view.

I used that as it came up in my timeline. and I posted it to show the video not the comment. I made my own comment and that was that Alli was throwing himself to the floor before any type of contact making it a dive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to turn into Negatron but these "heroic", "plucky" cup performances by teams like Rochdale must drive the manager loco. Bottom of their league by loads of points yet can play well and hold their own against Spurs. Try winning league games that will keep them up rather than turn up for the telly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, humdrum said:

I used that as it came up in my timeline. and I posted it to show the video not the comment. I made my own comment and that was that Alli was throwing himself to the floor before any type of contact making it a dive.

 

But there is contact, significant contact.  After which he flings himself to the ground.  It's a ridiculous swan-dive, and Deli Alli is a complete shit generally, but it's a penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McFly said:

Sorry to turn into Negatron but these "heroic", "plucky" cup performances by teams like Rochdale must drive the manager loco. Bottom of their league by loads of points yet can play well and hold their own against Spurs. Try winning league games that will keep them up rather than turn up for the telly. 

 

They've four home games in hand due to matches being postponed. Still not in a good place mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

But there is contact, significant contact.  After which he flings himself to the ground.  It's a ridiculous swan-dive, and Deli Alli is a complete shit generally, but it's a penalty.

 

It's a penalty, but it was also one that involved him diving. He'd already started dragging his right foot with provably no intention whatsoever of doing anything other than launching himself groundwards, knowing there was almost inevitably going to be a brush in there somewhere given the pace, proximity and relative direction of them both.

 

GRfR1OG.png

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I had my way - which will only ever happen if the world's a simulation and I manage to hack it - situations later revealed to involve players unnecessarily starting to go down before any contact is made will result in banishment into the void.

 

 

 

By which I mean Scotland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know everybody goes a bit club partisan at times but does anybody other than ex-players who know Ali or Spurs fans really think that is a pen ? Let’s take the incident in isolation without saying ‘Pires dived against Portsmouth 15 years ago so we had that one coming’.

 

Ali is going down before any contact is even made and course alters to make it worse - he dives and is a cheat, end of.

 

I think it grates on me even more when its a big team doing it to lower league underdogs - that then ups the degree of cheating in my mind and makes it even worse, and makes it worse whoever does it, even my team.

 

If somebody atttacking is running towards goal and alters their natural course to initiate contact how can that be a foul, is the defender meant to instinctively sense the course alteration and jump out the way giving a total clear path thru on goal ?

 

Not sure who this will cost but Ali will pay for his reputation, even with Spurs in Europe later in the comp or for England in the WC - he’ll get genuinely fouled at a key point in a match and the ref will just think ‘he’s a diver’ and wave it off.

 

Also VAR, I get it has teething issues but why does every single VAR cock up result in an instant call for it to be removed from the game as a failed experiment, when without it we get multiple bad calls every week which people seem happy to live with ? VAR just needs the kinks ironing out, not people jumping on it the second it isn’t perfect.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.